[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Snake doesn't like tank?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170329_184447.jpg (604KB, 1152x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_184447.jpg
604KB, 1152x1920px
Hey guys, I have a weird problem with my ball python. I got her 3 months ago but it only took her a few weeks to get settled. She's only a baby and about a foot long. She has a ten gallon tank that's kept between 78-85 degrees (usually at 81) The humidity level is kept at 48% she has a hide and cedar mulch bedding and a dinosaur skull she seem to like a lot. Nothing has changed in her environment since she's settled down. But all of a sudden for the past four days every time she sees me she immediately gets up and tries to get out. At first I thought she might be hungry because she hadn't eaten in 17 days. I tried offering her food and she used it as an opportunity to get out. I put her back in and left the room to throw out the dead mouse and she had curled back up in her usual spot. I come in again to check on her and as soon as she sees me she gets back to trying to get out of her cage. As soon as I take her out she just wants to wrap around my hand. I'm very confused about why she does this and I don't want to anthropomorphize her motives.

Tldr; is my snake smart enough to associate me with exploring outside her cage? Is it possible that my snake enjoys being handled? Can snakes actually like people? Or is there something wrong that I'm not seeing?
>>
>>2345444
It may be that the snake is bored with the tank, of just wants to explore the outside world. Yes, it's possible that it now associates you with something it likes (being out), so it can tolerate being handled just fine. Just sounds like you have a curious snoot
>>
>>2345445
Nice. Thanks! I'm going to have to hold her more often then.
>>
Couple things here. First, you need a heat gradient between high 70's on the cool side of the tank and 90 on the hot side (that is 90 floor temp, not ambient). This can be accomplished with an under tank heater about 30%-40% of the width of your tank in size.

Second, that 10g gallon tank needs an upgrade very soon. It's already right on the edge of too small for your snek's current size.

They certainly can be curious and want to explore around outside their tanks but most likely she's looking for a warmer spot to bask on.
>>
>>2345526

>Second, that 10g gallon tank needs an upgrade very soon. It's already right on the edge of too small for your snek's current size.

....are you sure? i had to get her more hides because she was acting like it was too big...
she does have a uth on the side of her tank (scared shitless of fires).

> high 70's on the cool side of the tank and 90 on the hot side

...You sure you're thinking of a ball python?

would it stress her if i rearanged her tank to make the temperature better?

It'd be worth trying to see if that's what's been making her try to get out.
>>
>>2345545
Yes I am sure about the temperatures. High 70's cool side, 90 hot side, for ball pythons.

When you say the uth is on the side of the tank, you mean on one side of the bottom, right? It shouldn't be stuck to the side wall.
>>
Tank size is fine, ball pythons can do fine in a 10 gallon tank their whole life. They really don't give a shit as long as they have a place to hide, which is why most people who own more than one opt for tubs instead of tanks. Anon who mentioned the heat pad is correct though, you want a good 90f spot with a hide that your snake can be in to properly digest it's food. Pick up a under tank heat pad and a thermostat plug in off Amazon and set it to 90. This will turn the pad off and on as needed to maintain a consistent temp. Humidity could be a big higher, around 50% or even a little more if your snake is shedding
>>
>>2345596
no i ment on the side..

will the uth work underneath the bedding?
>>
>>2345650
UTHs are made for that, anon, don't worry. Your snake needs heat from the belly rather than the side
>>
>>2345444
That's a cute lil danger noodle you got there
>>
>>2345629
>Tank size is fine, ball pythons can do fine in a 10 gallon tank their whole life.

Holy shit anon fuck off. An adult female BP would fill the entire interior of a 10g coiled up and still be spilling out over the sides. For juveniles something along the lines of a 20g long is alright. For adults you want a floor space of 36" x 18". Minimum.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.