[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Conures

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6001.jpg (34KB, 359x259px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6001.jpg
34KB, 359x259px
hiya /an/
I've been thinking and researching getting a parrot, more specifically a conure as a pet.

I've seen plenty of website advice and videos, but nothing compares to the advice of real bird owners.
Bird owners of /an/, what should I know about getting a bird I can't find online? Do you regret committing to caring for a bird?

I'd also love to see cage setups
>>
get an easier bird first and build experience
>>
>what should I know about getting a bird I can't find online?

Nothing.

http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/ here.
>>
>>2344759
I disagree. If OP wants a conure, he should research it, accept any cons to owning it, and be willing to commit to it. But if he wants a conure and can care for it, he should get it.

My first bird was and is an umbrella cockatoo, even though everyone said it's a terrible first bird to have. Told me to get budgies. I hate budgies. I love my cockatoo.
>>
>>2344822
Funny because I tried for an umbrella cockatoo and was given a cockatiel instead. It was a good decision to not give a 9 year old a cockatoo.

>>2344759
Conures are still fairly easy for 'beginner' birds. They all got their own personalities and quirks so it's really unfair to compare a budgie to a conure, cockatiel to a cockatoo, etc. You'd only get just a little experience and unless you plan on having multiple birds then it takes a long time for the first one(s) to die. I waited over 20 years before both my cockatiels kicked it to get a conure.
>>
>>2344884
>>2344822
i strongly disagree

no parrots (save maybe parakeets) are beginner birds and conures easily live two decades. All of you are recommending online research and none of it is a substitute for real life experience. Throwing away decades of your life for something that you "may like" is nothing more than a foolish gamble that is detrimental to your health and the health of the bird.

but by all means, let OP rush into something he's not even committed on because you read a forum once and they seemed p. confident instead of doing anything practical or rational or anything that isn't just >muh feelings on /an/ - fuck animals
>>
>>2344676
Conures are loud af boss. You will never be able to rent an apartment and you're likely to get cockblocked by your stupid loud ass bird when you bring girls home.
You don't want a conure.
>>
get an IRN or lorikeet
>>
>>2344759
no. you dont just buy a bird for experience. as long as OP has done the research and invested in training videos or books. eg: parrot wizard, birdtricks etc, he will be fine.

Even an 'easier' bird is a commitment. they live longer than dogs or cats.
>>
Am I in bizarro world? Why are we endorsing for someone's first solo bird experience to be a parrot that lives 2 decades?

That is like advocating someone get an Alaska Malamute for their first dog.

Conures are more easygoing than Macaws, but aren't good for beginners or young people with a varying, busy schedule.
>>
>>2347050
think it depends on the person. i would strongly advise not only to take months and months to research but also get some hands on exp with parrots at stores and rescues. rescue places will even have fostering programs available.
>>
>>2347050
So what do you want him to do? Buy a budgie that lives for 15 years, THEN buy a cockatiel that lives for 25 years, THEN buy a more difficult bird? You want him to buy tons of birds and then give them away when he has used the birds enough for experience?

It is fine if OP knows what the fuck he is doing and does the research. If he doesnt, then OP is a fuckwad.
>>
OP Why don't you try fostering one first? There are plenty of conures who need foster homes, and it would be a good time to figure out if one is really for you - if you end up bonding you can adopt it, and they'll sell the supplies to you for cheaper than usual. Find an exotic bird shop near you and see if they have any up for adoption/foster care. Maybe even just baby sit for one.
>>
>>2347068
this is a good idea if it is an option for OP
>>
do you guys think i could take care of a parrot strictly time wise if i work 8 hrs a day? i work nights so i could put it to bed an hour or two before i leave. i really love parrots but i would want to be the 100% healthy of course. i don't do anything besides go to work.
>>
>>2347088
parrots need a lot of attention... might not be that great of an idea if you work that long in a day
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.