[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Service Dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

Maybe this isn't the right place for this thread but...I have a conundrum.

>tfw have moderate to severe anxiety and I think a service dog would be really helpful
>have a good dog who would be perfect for the job with some more training
>want to train her for it myself
>but I'm too anxious to start bringing her to non-"dog" spaces in public for training because I'm afraid people will harass me or try to kick me out for having a dog with me, especially because I don't have an "obvious" disability

Anyone here have a service dog? Any tips on managing interactions with people during the training process? Will a vest with "service dog"/"in training" patches keep people off my back and let me/her work?

So uh...service dog general, I guess? (Pic is not my dog, just a cute picture found on google)
>>
>>2344222
Where I live, any animal can be a service animal for any reason and nobody can kick you out of an establishment for it. Here, feel free to carry around your pet snake because you have social anxiety without it, people may freak out but the law is on your side here. It's great. Look up your laws and learn them.
>>
please don't do this. There are better ways to manage stress, the stress hormone cortisol can be reduced in many simple ways. The act of preparing and drinking black tea, can reduce your cortisol levels by around 50%.

if you learn how to manage your cortisol levels, you will find your anxiety much easier to manage.
>>
>>2344248
No, that is not true.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet
>A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.
>Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA.

Part of the requirements to be a service animal is that is must be certified (but it's illegal to ask to see a copy of the certification, explain to me how that works) and must be able to perform a task to aid its owner. Emotional support animals meet neither of these requirements so they are not ADA enforceable. Sure, OP could go around and everyone would be too afraid of a lawsuit to call him out on his bullshit, but that's a shitty thing to do.

My advice would be to talk to your general medical practitioner about options to manage your anxiety, OP, be it a psychiatrist to give you some anti-anxiety medication or a psychologist to help you learn to manage it yourself.
>>
>>2344248
Literally same here.

My friend has a poorly trained dog that goes crazy and is loud and shit but because she whined to a doctor she's got papers that says she can bring it literally anywhere and there's nothing they can do about it.
>>
>>2344222

I have severe anxiety and ptsd. My psychiatrist said something along the lines of "you're one of the worst cases I've seen." Gee thanks.

My dog rides around with me but doesn't go into places. She's the lowest tier of "service dog"... ESA. It basically just requires a letter from your therapist and/or psychiatrist and doesn't really give you much permission to do anything strange. I don't abuse it like some people may. The higher tiers require training and/or testing. I don't recommend pretending a dog is certified for something that it isn't.
>>
>>2344222

First, if you have "anxiety", why would you want to introduce an innocent dog to your "anxiety" fueled existence?

Second...

>Will a vest with "service dog"/"in training" patches keep people off my back and let me/her work?

...hell no. There's a lot of self centered idiots out there that think they have a right to interact and grope your dog, most of which, are females.

How about fix yourself before you get a dog that's dependent on you instead?
>>
>>2344701

Speaking just for myself (not OP)... my dog gets me into my office and out to the dog park because I want her to have a good life and interact with other dogs and people and have a good social life and be well rounded. I love her very much.

Going to those places helps me too as a side effect. People with anxiety, depression, ptsd can benefit from a dog and give it a good life versus maybe euthanasia in a shelter.

Taking a "service dog in training" labeled dog into a grocery store, however, strikes me as a little nutty.
>>
>>2344222
They'll ask you if its a service animal and that's about it. If it would make you feel better about not getting kicked out there's a website that sells ESA dog vests. You can also get your dog paperwork to be an emotional support pet for around 160 or so dollars. http://www.workingservicedog.com/ESA_Kits.aspx here's all of the gear you can get to help avoid people kicking you out. You can also get vests on eBay and other websites. I think you'll be fine. Its illegal for people to ask about your disability or your paper work anyways (depending on where you live). You don't really need the paperwork unless you're going on a plane or to Disney land or trying to get a dog in an apartment with a no pets allowed policy. I hope this helps. Where I live people are extremely compliant with these laws and will allow esa pets everywhere. I've even seen a miniature horse in Lowe's
>>
>>2344763
You're anxiety might just be making you over think about things, op. Good luck. :)
>>
>>2344222
First, ask your psychiatrist about it first, don't go claiming you need a service dog just because you want one, it could do more bad than good.
Second, you don't train your own service dog, there aren't any "online classes" or "youtube videos" where they tell you what to do.
You need to go to a professional, who will probably pick the dog for you.
Next, that professional will charge you a big bunch just for 6 months to a year of training, we are talking about several k unless you can somehow cover the cost with a health plan.

Lastly, people will only harass a person with a service dog when it's pretty obvious that the dog isn't trained well. Vests and training patches are bullshit, most people don't make their dogs wear one (It's not required) unless they are faking their dog as a service one just to take their pet whenever they want.
As a side note, people can kick you out of certain places if the animal is still in training.
>>
>>2344253
Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not really helpful. I've been living with this my entire life and have been to therapy, learned many ways to manage it and what works for me/what doesn't. If a service dog could help me, why not?

>>2344414
>Part of the requirements to be a service animal is that is must be certified
Not sure where you're from, but in the US there is no certification or licensing required for a service dog. It's illegal to require something like that, in order to make obtaining/using a service dog more accessible to disabled people.

>must be able to perform a task to aid its owner
This is true, though. Service dogs are trained to do certain tasks to help with their owner's disability; emotional support animals (which share some of the same privileges as service dogs, but not all) just provide comfort.

I'm not looking for and ESA, I'm looking to train my dog to be a service dog, have her do body blocking and things like that, etc.

>>2344701
>lack of reading comprehension
I already have a dog. And I take care of her just fine. She has a good life, better than most dogs do. There's nothing stopping me from providing more than adequately for her needs, and nothing about me that makes me incapable of responsibly caring for a dog. But thanks for being of absolutely no help.

>>2344763
>>2344766
Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm not looking to get her certified as an ESA, though.

>>2344795
I'm not looking for advice on whether or not I would benefit from a service dog

>you don't train your own service dog
Owner-trained service dogs are absolutely a thing, legally and realistically.

>As a side note, people can kick you out of certain places if the animal is still in training.
I know a service dog can be kicked out of places if they are misbehaving or being obnoxious/disruptive. If my dog acted like that, I certainly wouldn't blame them, but that's not what I'm worried about, she has good manners already.
>>
>>2344222
I'm not sure if a service dog will help your anxiety if having a service dog is going to cause you anxiety. I mean I think it's defeating the purpose.

You also should not train a service dog yourself, you should get a professional. If you have anxiety, you don't want to train the dog to get anxious when you do. Again, defeats the purpose.
>>
>>2344253
>advertising tea on /an/
>>
>>2344222
here's what will happen
>women walk up to dog
>OMG SO CUTE
>starts petting it without asking even if it is clearly stated to be a service dog
>tell her to stop
>OMG UR SO RUDE AND EVIL TEH DOG NEDS LOVE!!!
repeat forever
>>
>>2344999
This. If OP has social anxiety then it will attract more attention, will get questions OP can't answer about real service dogs and assholes who won't leave the dog alone or berate you("you don't need one"). It also won't stop everyone from saying you can't have a dog somewhere or asking you to leave even if it is illegal. Ive kicked out 'service dogs' at old jobs, much to a lot of screaming and bitching. They were untrained shits causing a problem but we let people with dogs slide all the time as long as they behaved. I'd get to hang out with them or even walk them while their owners were busy. I had a severe panic attack once and a dog that was waiting in the back room did help me not go cataonic if not because it wouldn't leave me alone so it was really distracting.

I don't have one because at my job there is no safe place for it to stay near me without possibly getting hurt and constantly in the way and I panic even when people suddenly stop me to ask something like the time, for a lighter, about a shirt or something I'm wearing, etc because it throws me off when I already went through the panic process of just having to go somewhere. I'm on meds for it and they work much better than a dog would.

On the other hand, it'd be nice not to be able to be refused renting.
>>
>>2344979

OP, I'm from the UK, but I might be able to offer you some insight into training. I'm a vet student who spent a number of weeks with Guide Dogs UK.

> I'm not looking for and ESA, I'm looking to train my dog to be a service dog, have her do body blocking and things like that, etc.

That really isn't going to be possible. Service dogs in general are specifically BRED to be a service animal, then they are extensively trained by a professional as a puppy before they are handed- fully trained- to their disabled owner. This is almost a legal requirement, a service dog has expectations on its head on how they are to react in public, you can't just take any old dog and 'train' them to be a service dog- being a service dog is bred into these dogs.

You have a pet dog, you can't just train a pet dog yourself to be a service animal- even if the dog made the grade, which I highly doubt, I doubt you have the experience to train an actual service dog. People train for years before they even get their hands on a guide dog puppy/ any other service dog and even they have failures with their dogs.

If you genuinely want a service animal, then you need to look for an appropriate disability charity and apply through them.
>>
File: 0610785139.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
0610785139.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
>its been 4 years since you had a job but at least you have a dog to give you some cardio
>>
>>2344253

>broscience: the post
>>
OP, even if you did train your dog as a service dog and got her certified (which you can't because you're not trained to do so), you are not going to be protected by the ADA as you don't meet the criteria. An "emotional support dog" is not protected under the same laws as a service dog by the ADA.

Just get one of those internet certificates that says your dog is an "emotional support dog" or what ever the fuck and buy a vest. Most people won't question it because they don't want to stir shit. But know that they can tell you to fuck off legally.
Also, you're a faggot.
>>
>>2344979
>emotional support animals (which share some of the same privileges as service dogs, but not all) just provide comfort

I have to make another post because of how ignorant you are. The ADA is what protects those with service animals legally. They have strict regulations of what is considered a service dog.

"While Emotional Support Animals or Comfort Animals are often used as part of a medical treatment plan as therapy animals, they are not considered service animals under the ADA. "

My question is, what law or regulation is going to protect you? If not the ADA, do you have some sort of state regulation that is going to protect you? Jesus fucking christ kid educate yourself instead of making claims about you assume is true.

And yes I'm mad. It's people like you that fuck societal views on mental health.
>>
File: 1343279339735.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1343279339735.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
What is really confusing me about this thread is that there are service dogs managed by prison inmates, and that some of them are.... lifers... which is ironic term for them, come to think of it...
>>
>>2345263
why is it confusing?

inmates actually do a really great job training dogs. they have nothing to do all day so giving them both something to do and some companionship makes them work intensely hard to train the dog well.
>>
File: 1370867666826.jpg (109KB, 497x666px) Image search: [Google]
1370867666826.jpg
109KB, 497x666px
>>2345282

Well, thats what I mean. Some ppl itt seemed to think dogs and comfort for troubled people dont go together.

Or maybe I misunderstood, idk
>>
>>2344999
>>2345174
>dog attracting more unwanted attention
This is the main concern, really. It's just a question of will the dog provide more benefit to me than the added problems having a dog with me will bring?

>>2345219
Some people do owner-train their service dogs. I know that most dogs intended to be service dogs are trained for it since puppyhood though, and I recognize that if I try to do this with my (adult) dog, there will be quite a learning curve for us both.

That said, I am confident in my ability to train her to do what I need her to do. I have plenty of knowledge/experience in dog training (it's basically what I do) and the dog in question already has a solid working foundation/temperament.

>>2345251
By law, service dogs do not require certification. Service dogs and ESAs are not the same thing. I am not looking to make my dog an ESA.

>>2345256
I'm not really sure what you're getting mad about? I know the law. I know what constitutes as a service dog and what does not. I know that ESAs are not service dogs, and are not offered the same legal rights/protections as service dogs. But I am not looking for an ESA. Why do I have to keep saying this?
>>
>>2345228
I always see so many people on 4chan (presumably USA) that dont have jobs. How do you afford internet, dogs, rent, clothes, food?
>>
File: 20161213_230716.jpg (2MB, 2379x1511px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_230716.jpg
2MB, 2379x1511px
Dogs will vary, but training is fairly simple or atleast my father made it seem easy. He taught her all himself and is just applying for "real" service dog training now, although she has everything down pat. As for avoidance of other interaction it's pretty hard even with stickers and all that, that clearly state DO NOT PET kids and assholes wont pay mind so always try to distinguish that or else it won't work also this is the same website he got his vest from www.onetigris.com it's pretty durable and comfy for the dog. Other than that you have to realize they're dogs to and give them time to be one

Pic related its my Dad's service dog Semper Fi he got once he retired
>>
>>2345573
Thanks, I appreciate the tips! Your dad's dog is cute, looks like a good doggo.

I'm a firm believer in "let dogs be dogs" so my dog would definitely have plenty of time to relax and play when we're not in public or crowded areas. :)
>>
>>2345524

Because you are not obligated to have a service dog for your anxiety. Your dog is NOT going to be a service dog for your anxiety. Unless you train it to perform the tasks listed by the ADA, AND you also have a disability that requires it, you will not have a service dog. My point is, you will NOT be able to bring your dog with you into stores or what ever while being protected under the ADA.

I'm mad because you are the same as all the other asshats that think they can bring their pom-pom anywhere they want because of "muh depression an anxiety!! i got a note from my therapist!!".
>>
>>2345987
Ok buddy, you keep telling yourself that, and I'll let the law be the actual gatekeeper for who can and can't have a service dog.
>>
Honestly just get a service dog vest and put it on your pup. Lie if anyone asks about the dog's training. Nobody will have the balls to give you shit/call you out.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.