[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Special Needs Pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_4837.png (3MB, 5000x2823px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4837.png
3MB, 5000x2823px
Hello,

I have autism and I want a pet. What is a good pet for someone like me?

The picture is not related.
>>
Pet Rock.
>>
>>2343059
Fluffy pony
>>
>>2343059
I don't know much about autism, but you'd need something that can adapt to a routine, yes? Dogs and cats can do that. If you want a less needy pet, maybe a reptile or amphibian.
If not just do what >>2343061 said

>>2343062
Kek
>>
Isopods are fun and easy to care for.
>>
Autistic Cat ?
>>
>>2343081
And cute
>>
Mini/toy Aussie. My friend has one as a professionally trained emotional support dog and that thing pulls me out of depression every time I'm with her too.

One is definitely in my future.
>>
>>2343059
t. falseflagging reifag. rei is the real autist
>>
>>2343061
taxidermied cat
>>
>>2343059
cat girl
>>
I have aspergers and keep geckos. It works fine.
>>
Pet rabbit as long as you dont snap its neck with retard strength
>>
>>2343059
I dont know much about audism but what about shrimp in an aquarium? set up for a gallon jar is like 20 dollars, not including plants (which is cheap online) or shrimp which, for specific breeds, are like 10 for a dollar
>>
File: 1367677222875.jpg (28KB, 460x633px) Image search: [Google]
1367677222875.jpg
28KB, 460x633px
>>2343059

I have numerous issues; some schizoid, some anxiety. I do not have confidence that I am responsible enough or have the mental integrity to keep custody of an animal. I can maintain care routines, but can have episodic issues. I have difficulty with emotional interactions. I could probably care for them, but because of my history and composition, am terrified at the idea of a pet passing.

So, I go outdoors and appreciate wild animals and try to do kind things for them. A lot of it is simply feeding birds and waterfowl. Sometimes I get to leave treats for squirrels and chipmunks. Occasionally I feed a stray, and often dote on itinerant insects. If I am lucky, I sometimes get to share space with a rabbit.

I also visit pet shops to 'window shop' and as my physical health wanes, really like coming here where I learn and see a lot.

I dont have the constitution to actually keep a pet, or if I do, I have to refuse the possibility of losing one, as I have lost pets in the past. So I am grateful for any opportunity to enjoy animals and appreciate nature

In many cases, I could maybe care for the pet but dont have the physical ability to handle emergencies. If a pet escaped a habitat, I may not be able to locate & rescue them. In some cases, I could maybe locate them but not physically access them. The worst scenario is where I croak & the poor animal starves, as I am naturally a recluse

Often, I wish I had a small mammal to love and care for like a rat, because at least I know that they naturally have short lives, so if it died it might not be my fault. But they are smart, and such critters are fast & elusive and just dont have the capacity to chase them, & it would be sad

Ive had fish, but lost them, and decided not to repeat that. On the bright side, any bug that wanders in gets a kings welcome; I'll give them food if possible, watch them & then let them out

I saw a tiny carpet beetle perched on the wall today, & their is a pill bug sneaking about somewhere
>>
Get a cat or dog. I have Asperger's Syndrome and I always do great with them. They always seem really comfy around me too.
>>
>>2343059

Something that won't interfere with your routine or your environment, and won't because a test of your patience in the long run (because, again, they will get in your way. like having to get up at 6am to take the dog out or the cat meowing in the middle of the night until you open a door).

That means stuff in cages gerbils and reptiles. No birds. No sugar gliders. Even though aquatics are generally thought as soothing for those on the spectrum, aquariums will quickly spiral into a lot of money and a lot of work. More than you think when you first start. Especially marine aquariums. I'd avoid them.

I say this as a 35 year old male with high functioning autism. I can tell you what is going to piss you off and make you wish it wasn't there, and what isn't.

Stick to small rodents (rats, gerbils, not hamsters because most can't live in pairs and that gets boring). Reptiles, particular low maintenance ones like Crested Geckos that don't require close attention (they also breed all year round, 2 babies a month, so that's neat, and you can sell the babies for $20 each easily).

Snakes, I guess, but it depends. Some snakes are not good eaters. This will trigger your need for structure and prediction. They won't eat every week, and everytime they don't eat, you're wasting a $4 rat. And you'll never know in advance when they're going to it. A normal person sees no problem here, but that lack of routine is chaotic for someone with autism.

.... I have 2 gerbils, 2 crested geckos, a gopher snake, and 2 giant breed dogs. The dogs are definitely the worst offenders when it comes to tripping up my autism. The rest I hardly notice and they don't interfere with my routines or comfort levels. The dogs are mostly for my wife.
>>
>>2344079

I am the 35 year old that posted below you ... there is a curious behavior that people notice with autistic people and animals - we talk to them. A LOT. My stepmom noticed it with my dad at first. My wife says I do it, too. We just can't stop talking to them. We are always talking about something, and apparently it looks weird to normal people. I guess if I was a girl, it may not look so odd?

I think it's because of our natural tendency to talk too much, bundled with the total lack of social anxiety because "they're just dogs" ... they don't judge you, remember what you said, analyze the looks you give, or overthink conversations. You are free to just talk with zero pressure. It's impossible for a normal person to understand. But other aspies will get what I'm saying.

Funny enough ... I've always wanted a RealDoll (one of those lifelike sex dolls) for the same reason. 'Someone' to cuddle at night where I wouldn't feel that anxiety that I do with a person ... These dogs suck at cuddling.
>>
I'm confused.
Do you want a pet with special needs or a pet for your special needs?
Maybe a tarantula, tropical fish, or a owl (or some type of service dog of course)

If you mean you want a pet with special needs that complement your own issues I think you should try calling local shelters to see if they have any animals who need special care, since its likely they'll stay there. Specifically I think a pigeon with pmv would be good for you if you're willing to find out how to care for one.
>>
>>2344080
>Reptiles, particular low maintenance ones like Crested Geckos that don't require close attention (they also breed all year round, 2 babies a month, so that's neat, and you can sell the babies for $20 each easily).

Get only one. They're solitary animals anyway. That goes for all reptiles. There is no reason to breed and it also ramps up the work involved well beyond the care of a single animal.

>>2344039

You could do a colony of insects. Like morio beetles (known as superworms in larva form). Superworms are decently large and produce beetles that are about a 1.5 inch in length. Easy care. Pretty easy breeding. It'll be a colony so you'll have deaths and new babies constantly. I don't get the kind of sting when they die as i would from a beloved single pet.

Of course I also breed these and darkling beetles primarily to provide live food for my reptiles. They're neat to watch though and you could house them in a setup designed for better visibility to facilitate that.
>>
File: 1461289609806.jpg (1MB, 1859x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1461289609806.jpg
1MB, 1859x1046px
>>2344116
>There is no reason to breed and it also ramps up the work involved well beyond the care of a single animal.

I disagree. I have been breeding crested geckos for about a year now. Not on purpose. Just a side effect of buying 2 juveniles long ago that were too young to be sexed. The babies are really, really easy to manage. I keep all of mine in 1 PVC cage, and the babies stay in a tupperware in the cage itself because the heat and humidity are always perfect for eggs in there.

When they hatch, I move them to a critter keeper (also in the main enclosure). After they're 2 months old, I send them off to my local reptile store and they give me $30 store credit each. This pays for all their food, decoration, supplies, etc. Money left over to get stuff like Aspen, logs, and hides for my gerbils to destroy. Basically my gecko babies pay for all my pets. and they don't require any tedious care.

I have high functioning autism, by the way. You can tell from the stupidly long post.
>>
>>2344080
>Snakes, I guess, but it depends. Some snakes are not good eaters. This will trigger your need for structure and prediction. They won't eat every week, and everytime they don't eat, you're wasting a $4 rat. And you'll never know in advance when they're going to it. A normal person sees no problem here, but that lack of routine is chaotic for someone with autism

You just summed up my relationship with my carpet python. It is utterly infuriating when it refuses food for no apparent reason. I got a ball python almost solely as a secondary mouth to eat what he wont.
>>
>>2344084
>These dogs suck at cuddling

and a cold hunk of silicone would be better? and why do you need a realdoll when you have a wife?
>>
File: IMG_0644.png (296KB, 649x649px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0644.png
296KB, 649x649px
>>2344084
>>2344153
>mfw Autists this extreme have wives
>>
>>2344153
>>2344175

First off, not all dogs just lay there. Most of them get very excited when they're allowed on the bed and won't sit still.

Secondly, the RealDoll thing - you'd have to have autism to understand. Autism is not crippling to the point that you can't be comfortably married. But it does make social engagement stressful. You can get along well enough with people you're used to, but there will always be great comfort in being completely alone. In my case, I am more at peace by myself with with my wife in the room. So, yes, hypothetically, a lifesize inanimate object is easier to relax around than my own wife.

And she knows that. 5 years ago, her exact words were "Do you know how insulting that is?" She gets it now. Or, at least, she understands the ruleset even if she can't figure out why they exist. That's the easiest way to explain it.

Autism is just really, really strange and impossible to explain to people that don't have it. Everything that is strange has a documented reason, though. If you can't wrap your head around that, then you're the problem, not us.
>>
I have autism. I also have two large dogs. But I have a vested interest in their welfare, and their routine fits mine and helps keep me healthy and on track. I have done a large amount of research on dogs as a special interest, and I rarely find them irritating because I understand most of their behaviours and motivations.

This situation works very well for me, but would not for everybody. Some people find them too noisy or smelly, but I feel safe. They're steady, reliable creatures, in their own way.
>>
>>2344084
>It's impossible for a normal person to understand
I don't think that's true, I'd say most people, neurotypical or not, feel comfortable talking to animals/pets because there's a lack of social pressure so it doesn't matter what you say and can just be yourself.
>>
What autistic things do you like to do? If it's building or something a planted fish tank sounds good. Or if you want something more interactive a snake(if sometimes them not eating doesn't trigger you). Gerbils are actually pretty fun but even to a normal person the sound of them running on a wheel all night is infuriating. Would not suggest taking it out unless you're in the bathroom or an empty tub because they are fast little fuckers. Holding mine in my hands was an ever-moving struggle so I'd just sit on the bathroom floor, stuff a towel under the towel so they could escape and let them go wild. They came up to me every few seconds to climb or jump on me but they don't stop moving.
I've known some pretty chill mice though. They can be quick too but they 'sneak' and walk more than run if they're comfortable.

>>2344084
>we talk to them. A LOT.

Not kidding. My brother doesn't ever stop talking to his dog. It annoys me because he uses the wrong tones and doesn't seem to get that his almost-default-tone is angry and the dog thinks and acts like she's in trouble.

In general he doesn't shut the fuck up which drives me up the walls but I found out I can bypass it by singing and he gives up trying to talk. He doesn't get angry but just listens to my horrible voice as if he were wearing headphones. Asks me why I stopped when I stop or asks me about a certain song he likes and knows I know. He doesn't know enough lyrics to most but will occasionally join in. He makes me sound like an opera singer but it's probably the only bonding experience we ever have.

You guys are weird but socially you make me feel better since I can turn into a studdering anxious spaz and you guys dont seem to notice/or care I'm uncomfortable as I usually am in social situations with new people.
>>
>>2344039
I hate this image. What a fucking retard. Is it the same idiot that threw a tortoise into a pond?
>>
Going to go against the grain a little bit here.

I would slowly work on setting up around a five gallon planted fish tank. Work on maintaining that until it is established and stable. This step could take months, and demonstrating that you can keep the plants healthy is a good indicator of how you would do with a fish.

Find a very pretty male betta, and let that be the only fish in the tank. While a fish is not the most interactive animal in the world, the noise of a pump is quite calming...along with the greenery of the planted tank. I also suggest getting freeze dried blood worms to feed the betta as a treat.

Depending on your stress levels sometimes a dog might be too emotionally needy for you, that problem is much less likely with a fish.

>this advice is mostly based on my mother, who worked with special needs children in public schools most of her life.
>>
>>2344132
Are reptile eggs edible?
>>
>>2343306
This. Husband is autistic and he seems to do well with the rabbit. Has reduced the number of his break downs and stims.
>>
Oh actually, scratch the rabbit comment. The best pet my husband has owned that helped with his autism was his dove. We adopted her from a wedding venue that didn't need them anymore. She was so so sweet, but a little traumatized due to her pervious job, so she didn't make much noise. Changing out all her needs was a good routine for him, and doves are very docile and sweet. Her tummy smelled like syrup and she loved to be cuddled in the crook of peoples necks. Very sweet pets, and not too much care involved. The only issue was the egg laying, but if you let them alone for a while they'll usually just abandon it.
>>
Try a poisonous snake. Then sneak up on it a lot.
>>
>>2346118
>poisonous
>>
>>2343059
I want to touch asuka's butt!
>>
File: Rainbow Shark.jpg (42KB, 463x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow Shark.jpg
42KB, 463x720px
>>2343059
Get a shark. They're great with autists.
>>
>>2343059

Bad Dragon
>>
>>2344249
Why is it wrong? Is the candle's heat killing the thing?
>>
>>2348539
it's a woolly bear caterpillar supposed to be hibernating, and now it thinks hibernation is done even though ti isn't and will die
>>
>>2343082
Pretty much all cats are autistic desu
>>
Do some research into owning a pair of rats OP. I'm looking into it myself and I'm very skittish around animals but I also want some buddies to come home to that aren't too loud and always in my face but are there to keep me company and keep me in a routine.
>>
This entire thread is just low-tier bait.
>>
>>2343103
You didn't understand the series ending, did you? :(
>>
>>2349502
your life is low-tier bait
>>
File: 7cf95348bc981a6f0beec896d156fe47.jpg (682KB, 1274x1286px) Image search: [Google]
7cf95348bc981a6f0beec896d156fe47.jpg
682KB, 1274x1286px
>>2343059

A baby deer
>>
I want Asuka to be my pet...
>>
Depends on the severity of the autism I guess? I've got aspies and I don't have any issues with animals. Most love me. Granted, I've playing with ferrets and crap since I was able to walk, and have no fear of being bitten.

I would agree with some of the others if you have fear of getting bitten... try a rat. They eat most of the same food you do, cleaning is very easy as well.
>>
>>2349520
F
:'(
>>
>>2344084
I'm not autistic and I talk to my dog all the time.
I think its pretty common and its relaxing having something listening to you but not knowing what your actually saying.
>>
>>2343059
The picture is actually related because everyone knows that Reibis best girl
>>
>>2349780
Would you be kind enough to provide me animu's name anon ? Can't reverse search on my shitphone
>>
>>2349917
are you fucking kidding me????
>>
>>2349520

Laws were very strict under Nazi rule regarding animal welfare and humane treatment. Animal testing for drugs, cosmetics, etc was banned. Adolf may not have been a friend to humans but he certainly was a friend to animals.
>>
>>2350075

Here. There's a wiki article on it. Fascinating reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_welfare_in_Nazi_Germany
>>
>>2349973
Not even. Sorry for my lack of acknowledgment on this.
>>
>>2343062
>tfw I used to write those stories
>>
>>2350075
he was a more than a friend to humans.he was a savior
>>
>>2350137
>not knowing of Evangelion
>>
>>2350173

How did he even find 4chan??
>>
File: justice.jpg (32KB, 300x522px) Image search: [Google]
justice.jpg
32KB, 300x522px
>>2350075

>Göring was a professed animal lover and conservationist, who, on instructions from Hitler, committed Germans who violated Nazi animal welfare laws to concentration camps.

this made me smile
>>
>>2350173
>>2350186
>liking anime
>>
>>2350338
why are you here?
>>
>>2350558
>LARPing like it's still 2005 and the majority of people on this website didn't come from ebaumsworld
>>
Catgirl
>>
>>2343059
>the picture is not related
ARE YOU SURE ABOUT THAT
>>
>>2349520
wtf i love Nazi now
>>
>>2349520
holy shit is he feeding a squirrel? ma nigga
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.