[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Leave the native reef population to me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

Leave the native reef population to me
>>
>>2341856
>be invasive for at least 32 years
>not cause a single extinction or even serious decline

reminds me of honey bees, which environmentalists have been saying are "going extinct" since at least the 1940's despite their populations increasing by orders of magnitude over the same time period.
>>
>>2341860
I never understood the honeybee meme either. I think it was just some controlled study for political purposes because "save the honeybees" is almost always related to political protests and stuff.
>>
>>2341938
This and polar bears
>>
>>2341939
I hate to say it on /an/, but the decline of birds due to cats is another one.

not that /an/ gives a damn about birds, they just hate cats. But whatever.
>>
the classic /pol/tard FUCK DA ENVIORNMENT ALL THOSE MEN IN WHITE COATS ARE LIAAARRRSS thread to justify why you're on this board when you hate nature and spend your days shitposting about niggers and cats far removed from nature blessed only by the glow of your LCD screen
>>
>>2341939
and Monarch butterflies. Everything is just an attempt to get funding
>>
>>2342023
They're not liars, it's just that those with differing opinions are actively silenced. Plus, the polar bear population is actually higher now than it's ever been, even prior to the industrial revolution.
>>
Where are these native to? I ran into one in Cuba but idk what's its natural habitat is.
>>
>>2342374
Pacific Ocean. They've been introduced into the Atlantic by mongoloid aquarists flushing their unwanted pets.
>>
>>2342377
I really want to know how 1. A lion fish of substantial size can fit down your common toilet drain; 2. How it would survive for so long in freshwater, not to mention the amount of contamination it would be subject to; and 3. How it would make it through a typical waste management facility, and further, how likely it is for said clean water to be dumped into the ocean, containing such a relatively large fish? If your point was about people releasing them into the ocean because they don't want them, sure, but the odds of a lion fish reaching the ocean, alive, from your average toilet is extremely unlikely.
>>
>>2342651
they can survive months or even years in freshwater.

I just mention it because the actual route taken was probably escape from pet stores during hurricane flooding, which involves a trip through some filthy freshwater.

which isn't really a problem for most marine fish.
>>
>>2342377
You are completely retarded.
>>
>>2342651
Seaside town, and flushing fry. It's the Caribbean, they don't exactly have first-world plumbing.
>>
>>2342667
No u
>>
>>2342687
>It's the Caribbean, they don't exactly have first-world plumbing
Florida is pretty lame, but not quite third world yet.
>>
>>2342687
>flushing fry.
>fry
heh

you know lionfish haven't been bred in captivity, right? and if they ever are it sure as fuck won't be in the 1980's.
>>
>>2342687
Yeah, people in some shithole in the caribbean are breeding mass amounts of lionfish in complete secrecy and flushing all the fry. Sure sounds legit.

Did you know that's actually where invasive starlings came from too? People bred them on airplanes and flushed them down the toilets out into the sky.
>>
File: 1334010540766.jpg (45KB, 496x446px) Image search: [Google]
1334010540766.jpg
45KB, 496x446px
>>2342711
>People bred them on airplanes and flushed them down the toilets out into the sky.
>>
File: pufferfish-closeup.jpg (846KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
pufferfish-closeup.jpg
846KB, 1600x900px
Leave new money Chinese executives to me
>>
>>2342694
They're all over the Caribbean, though. I've seen them way out in San Salvador.
>>
>>2342711
Ey b0ss, is that even what I said?
>>
File: Condense.png (152KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
Condense.png
152KB, 270x270px
>>2342711
Christ anon, I came here for bitching not laughing.
>>
>>2341987
no that one is actually real, nerd
>>
Where are people getting the flushing thing, it's not that hard to toss them into a canal that is saltwater.
>>
>>2342852
>They're all over the Caribbean, though.
so in your mind that means they came from somewhere other than Florida?

no way fish could swim from Florida where we know they started to other islands, that's fucking inconceivable! Fish don't swim in the ocean!
>>
File: IMG_20160924_120028913.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160924_120028913.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
A little butter
A little lemon
>>
>>2342853
no but the starlings one is more plausible
>>
>>2342660
>the actual route taken was probably escape from pet stores during hurricane flooding
That's a stretch
>>
>>2343352
so's hobbyists dumping them.

in the 80's when these guys started showing up in the wild saltwater fish weren't common or cheap. A lionfish in Florida cost the equivalent of over $150 adjusted for inflation.

not exactly something most people would just toss.
>>
>>2343213
>$26 for a 2 pound fish
>>
>>2343487
A venomous 2 pound fish. Part of the cost is in the risk involved with gutting the damn thing.
>>
Bilge water is just as probable as aquarist.
>>
>>2341938
>>2341860
The anecdotal evidence is still pretty dramatic, so while beekeeping is super trendy and introduces a ton of bees locally around the world, I am still inclined to believe in a decline when everyone in my home town says bumble- and honeybees used to be constantly buzzing in every garden all summer long and now they are a rare sight. Isn't this pretty uniform with what other country side communities around the world are reporting?
>>
>>2343524
Pretty much this. All sorts of nasty things get traded around in the ballast water of cargo shrips.
>>
File: python.jpg (9KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
python.jpg
9KB, 225x225px
Leave the Heron population top me
>>
>>2343604
I thought it was mostly just raccoons and opossums
>>
>>2343524
absolutley
>>
Leave florida's ecosystems to me
>>
File: chilly and sea bass.jpg (4MB, 3006x5344px) Image search: [Google]
chilly and sea bass.jpg
4MB, 3006x5344px
>>2343487
It could be worse
>>
File: apapanew-mosquitop.jpg (42KB, 550x374px) Image search: [Google]
apapanew-mosquitop.jpg
42KB, 550x374px
Aloha
>>
>>2341860
They're starting to acclimate to brackish environments. Next step fresh water.
>>
>>2341860

Literally just today they declared a species of bee endangered.
>>
>>2345388
>they declared a species of bee endangered.
domesticated honey bee?
I didn't think so.

you're the sort of idiot environmentalists use.
>>
>>2344171
Which falkland island is this fish from?

You got falkland island all over the falkland world.

Look at the map. See those little pieces of dirt out in the water? They're falkland islands.
>>
>>2341939
What about polar bears? Are they not dying?
>>
File: Leo wtf.gif (2MB, 290x195px) Image search: [Google]
Leo wtf.gif
2MB, 290x195px
>>2345392
What does domesticated have to do with anything? The bees that are endangered are wild bees native to the Americas.
>>
>>2345530
Why exactly does it matter? We can and do flood the ecosystem with a shit ton of domesticated bees that serve the same function as the native bees.
>>
>>2343362
>not exactly something most people would just toss.
>Florida
>1980s
You might be surprised by how stupid people can be with money.
>>
so no one else sees the cow sucking a dick? okay. cool. i guess we're all fine with bestiality now.
>>
>>2345530
>What does domesticated have to do with anything?
environmentalists love to imply that honey bees are endangered and our food crops will die out because of it.

in reality honey bees are doing fine, and are themselves one of the big reasons American bees are endangered.

aside from being dishonest it's just funny.
>>
>>2341987
There is no decline of birds that are beneficial. Only song birds. Song birds shouldn't even be alive. If it wasn't for human intervention they would be extinct. Also the study you're referring to was done on an island where the locals fed the cats and no other predators.
>>
>>2342660
This is how snakeheads were introduced in Florida. Chinese market got destroyed in a hurricane.
>>
>>2345443
Polar bears are dying too. Not because of global warming, but due to people flushing them down the toilet.
>>
>>2345537
Preserving biodiversity isn't important at all?

>>2345567
Ok yeah the bee apocalypse stuff is stupid but it is still a good idea to attempt to preserve local species
>>
>>2345582
>the bee apocalypse stuff is stupid
that's all I'm saying.

it's stupid and it's funny. Just like the California style librulls that spout it.
>>
>>2344171
>Allejandro goes shopping.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.