[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pets you want but can't have, and why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: macaw-943177_960_720.jpg (164KB, 917x720px) Image search: [Google]
macaw-943177_960_720.jpg
164KB, 917x720px
I want a macaw so bad. Any large macaw. I'm afraid since I work full time, and I don't really socialize with anyone much, I wouldn't be a good enough owner. It bums me out every day.
>>
They also need another bird partner.

Same goes for me because I do not have time for a dog because of my job.
>>
>>2341698
>>2341726
Both of this go for me.
>>
>>2341698
I want hamsters but I'm gone for like 10 hours a day and terrified my pupper will try and get in their cage while I'm out.
>>
>I don't really socialize with anyone much

That's a benefit when owning a large parrot, who effectively becomes your social life.
>>
>>2341741
This. They're actually really good at entertaining themselves while you're gone, too.

If you want a cool parrot that's actually easier to take care of than a Macaw then just get an African Grey.
>>
>>2341742
I've heard so many sad stories about Greys, like they tend to be feather pickers.

I'm trying to adopt a 15 year old blue fronted amazon right now.
>>
>>2341749
Hasn't been my experience. My mom has a Moluccan cockatoo and when my grandmother died she left her an African Grey and a blue and gold macaw. The Grey is by far the chillest of the three. He eats literally anything, is quiet other than talking and other entertaining shit and hes obedient.

The cockatoo and macaw are assholes overall. The cockatoo is ridiculously reliant on my mom for everything and he screams day and night. The Macaw is also loud as fuck.
>>
>>2341749
Feather picking happens when the bird becomes mentally deranged (humans can have the same problem develop from stress in the form of trichotillomania). African Greys being some of the smartest parrots are simply the most susceptible.
>>
>>2341754
Feather picking most often happens when your bird gets lonely. You are no replacement whatsoever as a social partner.
>>
>>2341698
I want a bunch of goats and two horses but I'm leaving the country forever in the next couple of years.
>>
>>2341779
Loneliness is a form of mental derangement. Look at where you're posting. Look at what loneliness does to man - and then realize what it's doing to your bird.
>>
I want an african lion. Im not being sarcastic. But it will never realistically happen.
>>
File: catching some zs.jpg (314KB, 1591x714px) Image search: [Google]
catching some zs.jpg
314KB, 1591x714px
Honestly, I just want another dog.

Not practical for me in terms of room and cost, but it would be fucking awesome.
>>
>>2341726
they also live for like 50 years
>>
i want a cockatoo but i live in an apartment and they're loud
>>
Tortoise. I'm renting and don't have the necessary space at the moment. I keep arboreal geckos because they have tall rather than wide tanks and the floor footprint is much smaller.
>>
File: 1486218614155.jpg (388KB, 1803x1351px) Image search: [Google]
1486218614155.jpg
388KB, 1803x1351px
I want a shibe, and not because of that stupid fucking meme. Unfortunately they're vastly more difficult to take care of than your average doggo and if I'm going to let a dogger into my life I want to make sure I can't take %100 good care of it.
>>
>>2341698
Don't forget they live literally forever and you'll have to will it out to your kids when it outlives you
>>
>>2341698
I got blue and yellow macaw. The parrots also have different personalities and she is kinda calm type. She is alone during the days watching out from hte window. In the evening I am almost always home so she has company. She is 8 now and healthy, beautiful bird.
>>
>>2341698
i watched a documentary about birds apparently when they screech in your house you have to yell back everytime or they go insane
>>
>>2342266
>I want this dog even though they're super difficult
>But it's totally not because of the meme

So why do you want one, then?

>cuz they purdy
>>
One of these dinosaurs.

I don't have the space to accommodate such a large turtle at adult size (I already have a 90 gal with a RES and that takes enough space already) and overall won't be able to afford it. Plus a risk of being fucked up by it is a reason too i guess
>>
I want a corn snake but I live with my parents and they think snakes are disgusting. As soon as I move out I plan to prepare for one though
>>
>>2342267
Op here, i would adopt an older bird. Especially since i won't have kids
>>
>>2342595
>adopt an older bird

It can end very badly for you. Once parrot personality traits are set, they're set for life. If they're mean, if they loud, if they rip up your curtains every day, if they feather pluck... it will take it enormous amount of will power, time, effort, and devotion to correcting these issues.

You're treading on landmines, in other words. It's very hard to tell at first glance if a parrot comes from a broken home or not, and their deleterious behaviors may only manifest after they're settled in your abode.
>>
I wanna get some salt water shrimp, they are so cool. Sadly, I don't have the money for a saltwater tank or the room for another tank.
>>
File: Sirenidae.jpg (64KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
Sirenidae.jpg
64KB, 640x428px
A siren. They look so cool, like little water dragons. I keep other amphibians, and I'm pretty confident I could pull this one off pretty well.

Unfortunately, my state has put all of Sirenidae on the prohibited species list. I cannot buy, transport, or possess one. And, they are nonnative so I would need to import it, which is even more illegal...
>>
>>2341698
I know this feel, but with an umbrella cockatoo instead. It hurts, but again it's cruel to the bird to leave it in its cage for 8 hours alone
>>
>>2341742
There's a guy on YouTube who taped his grey while he just left to shower and she was bugging out.

I'm in the same boat as OP for large parrots but it's been drilled into me so hard that they will go fucking nuts without 24/7 attention. I've birdsat a bunch med parrots and some large ones(umbrella cockatoo, yellow naped Amazon and blue and gold macaw), but I'm still too intimidated to try and take one on if not for the noise. The umbrella was rather chill but he was over 25 years old.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.