[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: bee-05.jpg (282KB, 2384x1512px) Image search: [Google]
bee-05.jpg
282KB, 2384x1512px
If I want to keep bees and don't give a shit about honey (just want to help out the bees) can I just buy a hive and stick some bees+queen in it? Do you need to actively maintain the hive if you're not harvesting honey?
>>
>>2341330

I'm not a beekeeper myself but I believe that honeybees generally do require some maintenance. Now that Varroa mites are everywhere regular hives have a tough time surviving through winters.

I love your plan though, bees are awesome.
>>
>>2341330
I keep finding abandoned artificial hives in the hills. Implies to me that the need maintenance.
>>
you have to collect honey either way, if the hive gets filled up, they'll move.
>>
>>2341462
>if they have too much food they move to a place where they have no food
are bees autistic?
>>
>>2341354
Would VSH bees be able to survive without maintenance? Also, I live in California and winters here are very mild.
>>
>>2341462
Why don't the bees just throw out the honey?

Also I heard today someone said there's a type of bee that lives in the ground and you can keep them easily by just keeping bare patches of dirt in your yard. I didn't hear the species but she said most bees actually don't make honey so I think that's one of them. Sounds low maintenance.
>>
>>2341747
>Why don't the bees just throw out the honey?
Dumping the honey will just attract predators.
>>
>>2341466
Honey is survival food in case shit happens. When you have a survival cache, you don't dump it out when you run out of space, you get more space.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.