[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to play God /an/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Electric blue GUPPY 1.jpg (653KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Electric blue GUPPY 1.jpg
653KB, 1024x768px
I wish to forcibly accelerate evolution and create something..new. I was thinking of using guppies, since they're known to breed and grow very rapidly. Maybe even Mollies. But I need a purpose. What should I try to evolve them into or change about them? I'd like to keep them as fishes, transforming them to amphibious creatures would be both arduous and boring, also it's been done to death (mudskippers, catfishes with lungs etc).

Evolving guppies to grow fancy goldfish sized is a worthy goal, if a bit unimaginative. I always wished they were bigger so their fins would be more visible. If anyone has better ideas, or advice on how to do this I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>2341036
It wouldn't be evolution. What it sounds like you wanna do is selective breeding. Find the biggest male and female. Breed em and cull any small ones. Doesn't sound possible though.
>>
You're not "accelerating evolution", you're selective breeding. You don't have the lifetimes it takes to achieve speciation of a higher species.

What you are describing is creating a breed of large guppies. It's been done before. If you want to achieve speciation then culture microorganisms.
>>
>>2341045
>>2341048
>selective breeding.
Isn't that just a layman's term for man made evolution?

>Find the biggest male and female. Breed em and cull any small ones
While that in theory might work, I think it'd be more favorable to manipulate their environment too, so that it forces the biggest of them to have an advantage over the small ones. The question is how.
It'd also be worth researching what makes various species grow bigger. Island gigantism comes to mind, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank here.
>What you are describing is creating a breed of large guppies. It's been done before
Really? Fascinating. Do you have any materials related to it?
>>
File: 1488464444807.jpg (35KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
1488464444807.jpg
35KB, 400x388px
>it's a "retard who skipped bio classes wants to make an experiment" episode
>>
>>2341036
a weapon to surpass metal gear
>>
>>2341054
>It'd also be worth researching what makes various species grow bigger. Island gigantism comes to mind, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank here.
kek

Cope's Rule.

larger animals are better predators and better able to avoid being prey. Size matters. They also have longer lives, much lower metabolic needs per weight, and advantages in maintaining homeothermy due to the square-cube law.
>>
>>2341054
Unless you get lucky and find some wild type guppies you won't find any that aren't inbred as fuck and genetics fucked with.
>>
>>2341054
Hey, not trying to be mean or anything, but do you happen to have autism? It's cool if you do.
>>
>>2341106
I'm not a native English speaker, I don't always get the logic behind your phrases
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 228x221px
>He believes in evolution
>>
you can have large live bearing fish that are not guppies OP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-eyed_fish
>up to 32 cm
>>
>>2341045
Selective breeding is still evolution.
>>
>>2342051
Well, no. Evolution is not goal-directed.
>>
Start cross breeding goldfish with carps and koi
>>
>>2342051
No...you are breeding for traits that you desire as a human. Evolution requires traits that help the animal survive within it's habitat, to survive better, eat more, fuck other animals, etc.
>>
>>2342854
>>2343464
Evolution is just a species of organism developing features and behaviors that best suits the environment it's in through multiple generations due to factors in the environment that remove less suited individuals.

When a human selectively breeds a line of organisms, they are essentially controlling the environment to allow the individuals with desired features to breed and survive. While the person in control may have a motive, the act itself does not. It's simply the manipulation of a naturally occurring phenomenon, and henceforth is still technically evolution. We just call the controlled act "selective breeding".
>>
>>2341036

take a biology class ffs
>>
>>2341036
you can try to breed a new color of neocardina, I don't think there are purple or green ones.
>>
Cant think of anything to do but i always wanted a game like that. closest i have ever found is "Darwin Pond"
>>
>>2344331
Spore :^)
>>
>>2344332
I was thinking more godlike where you dont DIRECTLY control something and just fuck about with the science of it. Like, i always wanted a game since i was a kid where you just had a shit ton of chemicals (if not the whole periodic table) and a bunch of equipment to fuck about in.

spore's a good game but its not really what i look for. IMO a "god game" isnt really one if you are directly controlling something.
>>
Easiest way to play god is genetic manipulation.
CRISPR is the easiest but good, old-fashioned vector insertion is always viable.
>>
>>2344338
simearth or simlife
>>
>>2344344
Yea those are my go-to games for when i feel like playing god. especially simearth, simlife i felt wasnt as good.
>>
>>2341036
start with an undergrad in bio* engineering or something
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.