[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

What happened here?
>>
>>2341005
Sometimes I feel like they've just been constantly accidentally playing the wrong shows for the last 5 to 10 years, and one day somebody's just going to say, "oops" and turn the correct stuff back on.
>>
>>2341253
We can all dream, anon
>>
>>2341005
Surprisingly human happened.

Seriously, I don't go to Animal Planet to watch people build tree houses, build pools, look for gold, or enforce the law. I go to it to watch stuff about ANIMALS, plain and simple.

How and why did they mess this up so badly?
>>
>>2341331
Easy, ratings are the only thing that matters with corporate.
>>
>>2341005
Free market at work.
they made a channel about animals.
nobody watched it.
they changed it to something people watch. Which is not-animals.
>>
>>2341341
It's not that no one watched the original animal content. More that they identified the shows that had top ratings, typically those with people doing stuff, added more people shows. People plus animal shows were fine but they decided to add reality type show, no animal content. That show got big ratings, so they add more like it. And that is how animal planet stopped being about animals. You're right that it is what happens when have no integrity and let money make your content choices.

MTV went from a music video channel to a shitty reality tv channel for the same reason.

Not that any of this matters. Tv is shit and deserves to die.
>>
Do those animal documentaries from the mid 90s even get made any more? They used to be everywhere constantly I remember watching them with my gran ; ;
>>
>>2341005

Same thing that happened to MTV. Same thing that happened to the history channel.
>>
>>2341353
and natgeo

and discovery

it almost happened to cartoon network about a decade ago but somehow reversed course thanks to adventure time
>>
>>2341374
>it almost happened to cartoon network about a decade ago

How so? Was it that stupid show where totally not walt disney's brain goes in a kid and everyone pretends it's a cartoon?
>>
>>2341005

Even PBS/CPB isn't safe. Anyone remember NOVA? They've dumbed down their "documentaries" so badly that they have become unwatchable pablum. Even worse, after dumbing it down, they've managed to strip substantive, coherent themes until its just a bunch of unrelated clips and then top it off with ridiculously dramatic music, camera angles and splashy graphics. It becomes so plastic and artificial that you can't even remember wtf is was they were trying to convey as the theme. Which is what it is, a theme, because its not even a coherent point.
>>
>>2341378
The CEO that wanted to gradually change cartoon network into live action got fired and replaced after an advertisement for the -now cancelled- Aqua Teen Movie was mistaken for a terrorist attack in Boston.
>>
>>2341331
This makes me feel like AP is about to become Home&Healthv2
>>
>>2341374

Give Cartoon Network time.

The cartoons that have made the network worth tuning in to recently are ending one by one, and the new offerings haven't been terribly promising. With the way they treat the airing schedule these days (screwing around with premier times, forcing long hiatuses, allowing a veritable river of leaks, etc.) in favor of playing even more Teen Titans GO!, it's quickly sliding back into unwatchability.
>>
>>2341005
>an al planet
Why would they do this?
>>
File: Animal_Planet_HD_2007.png (261KB, 730x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Animal_Planet_HD_2007.png
261KB, 730x1000px
I miss watching old animal planet
>>
File: analplanet.jpg (85KB, 819x399px) Image search: [Google]
analplanet.jpg
85KB, 819x399px
>>2341005
>>
>>2341005
Now that plebs own TV and the free market is out of control there is no good taste anymore. You have to search in the trash like a needle in a bag of melted cheetos.

Thing is the director's gotta eat, the cameraman must also eat and if people don't watch then what you gonna do?
You can buy things to help the creators keep creating. That's the sole problem

Because if a chanel isn't getting enough audience then they think "is there something wrong with what we are prosucing good lord? How can we make more money? Why is it that the plebs don't like us? Should we downgrade?

So yeah OP, plebs are at fault.
But in this sea of plebs there must be people peoducing the shows you like, documentarys you will enjoy. Well OP? What are YOU doing as contribution to the products you want to see in the market? Are you buying them or just waiting on your ass asking why they are not happening?

BUY. Give creators what they deserve if you like the things they do.
And that's why piracy is bad
But that's another problem for another day.
And yes, I used to work for nat geo but now I'm totally financially stable.
Just don't be a pleb and give money to people who deserve it OP
>>
>>2341346

THIS. It's sad and an example of when capitalism fails.
>>
It's because environmentalism and caring about animals is dead. Everyone doesn't want to be reminded about how the big cats are dying out, how there's more tigers in Texas than India, about the bleaching coral reefs or any of that bullshit, they just want to watch PAWN STARS while they shitpost about how much they hate cats and animals on the animal board on 4chan because it's soooooo post modern to hate any standards and narratives man.

Conservation movements are filled with middle aged fucks dying out. You cretins would rather bicker over your fish tanks or argue about dinosaurs than chip in, the scum of the millennial generation you represent.

But sure, it's all capitalism's fault. Just as long as it's never yours, right?
>>
I do appreciate that AP has decided to come to New Hampshire for North Woods Law. The only time we get any attention is during the presidential primary and NASCAR.
>>
>>2342108
It isn't my fault because I don't harm the enviroment lmao
>>
>>2342158
>North Woods Law
I have a good time watching these shows when I'm drunk, I remember flipping through and coming across this or something similar

>"We've got reports of some illegal activity by the river"
>Dramatic music, walkie talkies, they're trying to make it all extreme
>Shaky camera and dramatic effects as they give some guy a ticket for fishing without a licence
>Rangers are going on a monologue about how important it is to get your fishing licence, and the guy has the biggest "are you fucking serious" look on his face
>>
>>2342168
t. cognitive dissonance

Go back to shitposting on your arsenic, lead, and rare earth metal filled tablet, monkey.
>>
>>2342108
Well pawn stars is history channel. And to be fair Pawn stars at least does talk about history, it's not a documentary or anything but at least the connection is there, tree houses have very little to do with animals on the other hand
>>
>>2342425
>tree houses have very little to do with animals on the other hand
the same applies with building pools and finding gold and paranormal activity
>>
I'm watching Rocky Mountain Vet now. Are they usually showing bullshit shows?
>>
>>2342105
The channel is making money so technically it isn't a failure.
It's more of an example of capitalism fucking you in the ass
>>
>>2341346
>>2341374
This. They aren't doing it because it's what they want, it's what gets more money and ratings. And that happens to be because of white trash rednecks who still rely on cable.

>>2341436
Same shit. Especially Adult Swim who are cheap as fuck and abandoned Korgoth of Barbaria nor will give us a real ending to Metalocalypse. They spent all their money on Venture Bros despite taking years between seasons. They won't take risks. Just make what's cheapest and makes them money.
>>
>>2342428
>paranormal activity
That's when I stopped watching Animal Planet. I could tolerate the 24/7 reruns of Animal Cops: (insert city here), but I knew they were beyond saving when they hopped onto the ghost craze.
>>
>>2342425
>>2342428
I can't fathom how these shows are popular at all. I mean how can someone watch a show about shopping or yard work? What do plebs see in this?
>>
>the closest thing they have to Animal shows nowadays are River Monsters and the 10 trillion Vet shows they have

And I only like River Monsters because its so melodramatic and I find Jeremy Wade charming.

I have NO clue why a treehouse building show and a fucking "search for bigfoot" show are on that channel. Those are things I'd expect to see on TLC or something.

Damn shame.
>>
>>2342641

A charming enough host can sell almost anything. Like how Man Vs. Food has a premise that would be gag-inducing for most viewers. Yet, with Adam Richman as its face, it had several highly regarded seasons that probably would have carried it longer were it not for health concerns.
>>
Once Attenborough dies, BBC will turn to absolute dogshit as well
What the fuck will we watch on tv once every channel does literal crap rather than good nature docos?
This decade only Attenborough has been good
Everything else this decade has been dogshit
Once Attenborough dies, there will be no more good nature docos
How come the younger generation everywhere in the world are dogshit at nature docos?
>>
>>2342648
River Monsters is the only watchable show on that channel, and that's largely or pretty much only because Jeremy Wade actually gives a fuck. Could you imagine how good the show would be if they'd drop the whole drama aspect and focused on just angling and the mythology surrounding the rivers and fish? But no, gotta keep retards entertained for 40 minutes somehow.

>>2342843
It's fucking sad, isn't it? You guys have like nothing left to watch.

If only you guys could watch Terra X. Especially the nature stuff is often very good and actually well researched, even if it doesn't have the production value of something like Planet Earth.
It will probably never be dubbed or even subbed though, the audience is just too small.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4sZvlhsZJo
>>
>>2342108
It really fucking is capitalism's fault, because capitalism makes it impossible to live a normal life and not be harmful to nature. You can go off-grid and innawoods all you want, but that isn't going to change anything. Conservationism will only ever treat the symptoms, not the issue. Deep environmentalism is incompatible with modern human living.
Revolution of the masses is a meme that's never going to happen, and the inherent industrialism of communism would arguably just put us all in the same situation.

And no amount of protests, environmental forums, or conservationism is going to stop the wheels of industrialism, or undo the damage caused by the invention of the steam engine. Not that we even needed that, because pre-steam powered mining proves that humans are capable of massive deforestation and pollution even with relatively primitive technology.

We're fucked, and there's nothing we can do about it unless we bring upon violent and permanent change to the system (which is never going to happen), or technology brings us to some truly post-industrial state (which is like sitting around and waiting for a miracle).

By all means, go be an environmentalist. It's better than fucking nothing. But don't pretend that we as individuals matter, or that we're ever going to solve this.
>>
>>2342105
How is it a faliure if the company is still around making money?
>Hurr if they aren't making a product i like its a failure
Don't like it, don't watch it and let its ratings force the executives to change thr programing.
>>
I don't mind the shows where they build gardens solely to attract wildlife or that show where they rebuild rescues and shelters (though I really wish the latter would do shelters that actually need it). But the shit with building tree houses, building pools, the dumb gold show, I think there was one on logging. That reality tv is pretty far off topic. I think reality TV is the genre that gets viewers so they are trying to go that way, but in doing so they also stray away from animal planet.

The animal shows they currently air are mostly reality; Dr. Pol, animal cops (do they still make new episodes of animal cops?), Me or the dog, something about a forest ranger, pitbulls and paroles, etc. I remember years ago there was barely any reality TV. It was mostly informational like dogs 101, the most extreme and animal documentaries. But they probably get more views with reality TV, unfortunately animals are hard to do reality TV with (meerkat manor is a great example) so they just stray from the subject instead. I kinda wish they would do one of a busy kill shelter instead of all these rescues and sort of keep the focus on the running of the shelter and the animals like in animal cops
>>
They should bring back Backyard Habitat.
>>
Animal Cops happened
Steve Irwin bought it
>>
>>2341388
the movie still came out, they made an episode about the debacle and that was withheld but was leaked however
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yji5VcZicUc
but they even joked about CN live or whatever it was called
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZtaYZR29c
>>
>>2342870
Not him, but...

>But don't pretend that we as individuals matter

Literally everyone thinks this. That's why nothing changes.
>>
>>2341005
>Staying up late on school nights to watch the crocodile Hunter
>>
>>2343411
They've been too doped up on post-modernism to care about anything.

Why try? Why bother? Why fight the odds? They're so narrow, right? Why even care about the challenge? Why care about the struggle? It's all meaningless, man! That's what the Big Lebowski taught me, so everyone should follow it! Yeah!

They've turned their lack of care and obscurantism into a religion that has pervaded across all walks of society. We're fucked for it. Together we all fall.
>>
>>2342843
>Once Attenborough dies
Shut up he is immortal like the Queen.
>>
>You will never come home from school and binge watch meerkat manor for three hours
>Your will mom will never complain that that flower thing is always pregnant
Shit man I suppose Flower dying killed the show but god damn I miss it.
>>
>>2343517
That's the biggest problem with animal soaps, you can't really tell them what to do. In my opinion that show went on way too long. They were very lucky to have decent writers and a pretty eventful couple of seasons.

They should try to do one with monkeys in a city or something. Lord knows they will have enough footage for it.
>>
File: 1490467168519s.jpg (2KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1490467168519s.jpg
2KB, 125x83px
>>2343550
>animal soaps
Just skimming through, and I really took that out of context
>>
>>2341374
>cartoon network
You mean the Teen Titans Go channel?
>>
>>2342934
Yes, I loved that show! I actually sent a letter to them when I was little so they could spruce up my backyard. Then shortly after, they were cancelled.
>>
>>2341005
I think it slowly occurred over time. The ratings for animal reality shows like Meerkat Manor began to out-compete nature documentaries. Then we started to get slightly human-oriented but still animal-centric reality like Escape to Chimp Eden or Orangutan Island. And then we started getting bullshit like Pitbulls and Paroles before all of Discovery network switched to reality TV (outside of Science Channel which is just How It's Made reruns and meme sci). With River Monsters' final season airing in a month I see no reason to watch Animal Planet when I can just watch Nat Geo Wild or BBC America
>>
>>2341490
fuuuuuuck

AP's The Most Extreme
Steve Erwin
Jeff (Geoff?) Corwin
Backyard Habitat
Big Cat Diaries
Blue Planet
Planet Earth...

That image brings some memories back
>>
File: austin-stevens_650x435.jpg (57KB, 650x435px) Image search: [Google]
austin-stevens_650x435.jpg
57KB, 650x435px
I miss this guy
>>
>>2342105
>capitalism fails when it doesnt suit my interests
no senpai this is a success in capitalism.
>>
>>2344277
>false advertising is a success in capitalism
>>
>>2343517
>turn on animal planet
>meerkat manor comes on
>seems interesting enough
>see meerkat eating my favorite animal, a lizard.
>too scared to watch it again
>>
Why the fuck would anyone pay for tv.
>>
>>2344710
>Be 8
>Watching Nat geo
>Hunter Hunted turns on
>Instant nope
>>
>>2343550
Didn't they kind of have that with Orangutan Island (unless I'm missing what you mean by city)?
>>
>>2342641
I'll be honest, women between 18-menopause like these shows because it's a nesting instinct. When I accidentally turned to HGTV I couldn't stop watching. If my husband didn't stop me our house would be full of themed rooms and chachkis. But I really do hate that this has bled into other channels.

Which would you rather watch: a show about rare animal diseases, with a focus on an IRL case and it's healing process, or a show about a vet who sometimes gives information about the illness, but it's usually just "this dog broke its leg," or "this alligator is stuck in a trap. Btw talk about your family for 15 minutes because that belongs on AP."

I really miss that show about parasites though, it had the coolest visuals, and was really informative.
>>
>>2343779
Corwin's show went off the air way too soon. I'd tune in to watch that shit any day any time.
>>
>>2343517
>Your mom will never complain that that flower thing is always pregnant
Heh, brings back good memories
Lil' me got so sad once Flower died, I'm sure I cried when I saw the episode where she did. I still feel kinda bad remembering it.
It'd be nice if they had another animal soap, would fill in the "human-esque animal" gig that Animal Planet loves nicely
>>
>>2341005
Used to be fucking cash 8 years ago (as a kid).
They even had a series on Cryptids (/x
/ shit) and I was pleasantly surprised.

I tried watching it earlier in the year. Lol no.
>>2344801
You mean "Monsters inside me"? They had a LOT of shows of this variant. Just animals that can fuck you up + a specific case.

I think AP is just continuously experimenting to see what draws the best ratings. When their demographic starts seeking something else they will go back to experimenting with different content.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.