[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First pet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
It is immoral to have a bird as a mascot? You know, have them locked in bird cages, cut off their wings so they don't run away, feed them with processed food etc. I love birds and I really want a couple of lovebirds, but I can't stop thinking about being a horrible person for depriving them of their freedom
>>
Birds do best when fed a mix of processed (pellets) and unprocessed (fresh veggies/fruit) foods.

You don't keep birds locked up in cages 24/7. Even birds in an aviary should still get some outside time. Cages are so the bird doesn't hurt itself when you're not physically present.

Wing clipping is a personal preference to control flight time. I am fine with netting up my windows.
>>
If it bothers you so much don't get one?
Go get something that requires less care and attention like a couple small fish in an /an/-approved aquarium
>>
>>2340667
This is bait you guys, pack it in.
>>
Don't get parrots for your first pet. You're just not capable. They will make your life hell. Get finches, a canary, a pair of doves, a mynah. All of these will be easier than lovebirds and give you an idea of what caring for a bird is like.
>>
>>2340675
Alternatively, if you're DEAD SET on lovebirds you can contact a local exotic rescue. They will oftentimes do foster programs.
>>
File: highres_19221095.jpg (55KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
highres_19221095.jpg
55KB, 600x400px
>>2340667

Befriending a wild animal is morally dubious. It usually involves some sort of bribery, essentially turning the animal into some sort of prostitute for whatever emotional gratification one derives by imagining a dumb, mute animal enjoys your company for more than the hope of food and reward.

Actually holding an animal captive until it has lost the desire to be free, or even if it hasn't, is nothing short of a crime against nature. Here, it is not so much bribery as conditioned dependance, a perversion where a human applies its intelligence to manipulating a creature its whole existence to exploit its instilled desperation for company that, not surprisingly, the human is unable to find among its own species.

Then comes the industry and commerce of actually trafficking animals and rearing them as young in environments totally foreign to their evolutionary needs, to the point where exotic, frail reptiles, birds and mammals can be either harvested or bred and shipped far from their habitat, and sold to some brainless punk for a sweaty fist full of dollars, and its fate doomed by the attention span, apathy, incompetence and malice of any given adolescent thug. Hundreds die in transport, and thousands suffer poor care, as thousands more are sent to an early death by neglect.

Its one step above keeping livestock to slaughter and eat, but not by much, and only really distinguished by presentation, economic rituals and perspective. To make the point, many ranchers indeed befriend the creatures they later murder and consume. Thats what it means to be a pet: simply something a humans thinks is not worth eating yet, and yet luckier than a lab animal, assaulted with diseases, chemicals and cruelty every day in the name of cosmetic marketing.
>>
File: dau.jpg (70KB, 360x417px) Image search: [Google]
dau.jpg
70KB, 360x417px
>>2340685

- Ten dexterous fingers, a rich cerebral cortex, and for humans, its little more than a license to be the most sadistic primate ever, marveling in our articulately varied cruelty.

Only a human could be so self-deluding that it could look at cages, leashes, collars and surgically cleaving a helpless creatures flesh from claws to gonads and fatuously believe its an act of love.
>>
>>2340667
As long as you don't live in an apartment, I would look into getting a chicken. Most places are okay with one or two chickens if you have any sort of backyard. They're really fun birds to keep as pets.
>>
>>2340685
>>2340686
nice anthropomorphism vegan reject

/an/ is a pet owner's board. Go back to /ck/ where you belong.
>>
>>2340685
>implying lovebirds in the modern pet trade aren't captive bred for the purpose

CITES banned the exotic bird trade decades ago monkey. You can't even import shitty birds into the US these days. Reptiles, sure, because nobody gives a fuck about reptiles, but this thread isn't about reptiles, is it?

Go bitch at the Chinese. They're the ones driving your exotic bird trade.
>>
>>2340685
>>2340686

I'm sure this is b8 but;
>Implying animals can't be happy in captivity
>Implying animals have as much capacity for understanding their position (as captive) for it to be 'so cruel!'
>Implying animals won't suffer at least equally, if not more, in the wild
>Implying all lab research is cosmetic
>Implying animal research didn't allow you to fucking live instead of be another 2/3rds pre-scientific revolution mortality rate of infant and young human children
>Implying you aren't a faggot drama queen
>>
>>2340670
This, plus they have harnesses for birds, or you can make one, that way you don't have to worry about them flying away, but you also don't have to clip wings.

Just make sure it's a good harness and isn't going to break.
>>
>>2340679
Also be ready for the lovebirds to hate you. I've had them before, and he took a better liking to my husband than me, and even the one he was bonded with couldn't stand up to the love between them. They decide to love one person and that's it, they hate everyone else. Handle them with care. And gloves. Heavy duty gloves.
>>
I own several parrots. Parrot ownership is not for the faint hearted imagine living with a perpetual three year old who is capable of flight and you pretty much have most species of parrot summed up . They need to spend at least a couple hours out of the cage a day (the more the better, mine are barely ever caged) as well as having access to stimulating toys and activities (such as foraging) to prevent neurosis and self harming behavior. Also be aware that small bird does not always mean quiet bird, screaming and attention seeking behavior is a common problem in parrot ownership which can drive many owners to abandon their feathered friend. Just make sure you do your research an have the time to spend with a parrot before you take the leap.
>>
>>2341024
The heart wants what the heart wants.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.