[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you have nice furniture if you have cats?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 2250101383-2.jpg (220KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2250101383-2.jpg
220KB, 2000x1000px
Considering moving in with someone has nice furniture, like $X,000 pieces (he works at a furniture store). I have two cats. And they're fucking asshole forest-cats that do wild shit like climb curtains and try to bury their food in the hardwood, behaviors none of my previous cats displayed. I know my cats will wreck his shit. Everything I own is cheap shit because I don't care.

I'm fucked aren't I? Like sure, get scratching posts, deter cat from furniture and toward scratching posts, etc. But that sounds like reduced incidents, not a total lack of incidents. It really only takes one incident of scratching to take a shit on the value of a piece.

Is there something I can do to perfectly preserve the furniture, even if aesthetically unpleasing? Does double-sided tape and citrus really do shit like the internet claims? Those little claw caps seem like a meme too. Anyone managed to train their cat to leave furniture alone completely, or otherwise protect their furniture? I'm willing to do pretty much anything short of declawing.
>>
>>2339277
They sound too old to declaw anyway and you can't really 'train' cats and even if you could it sounds like they're are past the point of re-training them.
The options really are to not move or else give your cats to someone else - that or else kill them.
>>
The claw caps work perfectly fine
>>
did you tell the person you're planning to move in with about your problem cats?
>>
>>2339314
This

Also this
>>2339301

Double sided tape worked well for my cat; left it on for a month and he stopped scratching the recliner unless he is pissed at us for fussing at him for something. Even then it's a matter of following him if he walks towards it and fussing at him if he approaches it so he will fuck off somewhere else. Taping tin foil to furniture can help as well
>>
They will fuck up the furniture and it will cause a rift between the two of you. No one is okay with their shit being torn to shreds, especially nice stuff.

My step brother got a cat without asking a it has ruined my parents leather furniture
>>
>>2339277
Don't ever declaw a cat, it's inhumane. Declawing a cat means cutting off the end of their toes and in comparison to a human it's like cutting off the last knuckle on your fingers.
>>
>>2339436
i wouldn't live with a cat regardless, but i have nice, valuable antique furniture and would be livid if any animal destroyed it
>>
>>2339503
This shit might've been true in 1991
>>
My cats have multiple scratching posts/trees and have never once touched our leather furniture. However, we started training them when they were impressionable kittens, so your mileage may vary with adult cats.

>>2339702
Vet tech here, seen hundreds of these surgeries. Methodology has improved (e.g. laser over manual, the benefits of which are still highly debated) but it's still absolutely an amputation of the final digits of the paws.
>>
>>2339503
>in comparison to a human it's like cutting off the last knuckle on your fingers
except cats don't do anything useful so it doesn't matter
>>
I've had my cat for eleven years. She's never gone after the furniture for scratches. I got lucky, I guess. She also never jumps onto the kitchen counters.. Must have learned from a past life.
>>
>>2339710
Neither do you but you still have your fingers
>>
No. For one thing, feral cats never tame fully. Expect not just clawing but piss and shit. They'll do it just to piss you off and train their fucking spawn to do it too. You can

A. Shrink wrap the furniture and change it regularly (because they will gouge holes in it and piss on it).

B. Tell your roomie to put his shit in storage and move your shit in.

C. Not move in.

D. Kill the cats.
>>
Shit I forgot about this thread

>>2339301
I want to believe you. I guess I'll try them ahead of time at least.

>>2339314
Yea I warned him of the reality of it. To be honest I think it'll prevent me from moving there. I don't really give a fuck about what kind of furniture I have

>>2339707
>adult cats
They're almost a year old. They have a cat tree and they seem to prefer it for scratching, but it's in one room of a fairly large house. So in other rooms they're accustomed to scratching up whatever. So it sounds like I'm fucked tho.

>>2339847
>feral cats
Wait, do my cats count as feral cats? They were found as kittens in a barn that was about to be demolished. I've had them since they were 1mo. They've socialized pretty well, they don't shit on things. They like to pee on piles of dirty clothes which is moderately annoying.
>>
>>2341187
Not exactly feral more sorta farm cat level.

Those hollow pool noodles on chair legs can help.
>>
>>2339710
it's incredibly painful
>>
>>2341257
no one cares because cats are garbage
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.