[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/an/, what is your opinion on zoos? is an enclosed life a fair

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: Sad-Lion-At-Zoo1.jpg (198KB, 957x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Lion-At-Zoo1.jpg
198KB, 957x768px
/an/, what is your opinion on zoos?

is an enclosed life a fair exchange for the benefit of no risks of natural wildlife?
>>
only if the animals in question are injured/unhealthy and would otherwise be at risk in the wild
>>
another question, do animals feel that they re enclosed?
i mean, do they crave freedom? if they have an easy food source and no predators, why would they otherwise be bothered?
we re talking about decent, big enclosures, not cubicle ones.
>>
I'm totally against zoos and think they've outlived their usefulness to Society. I get them a hundred years ago when people couldn't travel like we do today as well as having electronic video technology, etc to where today we can experience the Natural World almost anywhere. Hundred years ago peopel couldn't do that. Zoos and traveling circuses were the only way peeps could experience other life forms.

But today all of this is, zoos, are not necessary.
>>
File: fat tiger.jpg (68KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
fat tiger.jpg
68KB, 500x500px
>>2339265
I think it's fine so long as their basic needs are met. That is a hard thing to do with many wild animals, though. Just giving them food and water is not enough, they need stimulation too or they get depressed and fat. Zoos themselves are not bad, however they tend to be owned by jews who like to cut corners on everything and only care about the money.

There are quite a lot of irresponsible zoos out there too. Zoos that have poor enclosures or allow people to interact with dangerous animals, or does 'cub petting', roadside zoos that have questionable standards, zoos that breed indiscriminately for qt baby animals only to cull them when they grow up because there are literally too many of that species in the zoo and they didn't think things through. etc etc.
>>
>>2339292
I can't travel to China to see a tiger and seeing an elephant on TV is nothing like being up close to one.
>>
some of the captive breeding programs going on in zoos are very worthwhile.

the other main claim of their value is that they help educate people about animals and encourage interest in conservation, but personally i question whether they really have a significant effect in those areas. and obviously standards need to be raised a lot, even in first world countries.
>>
>>2339265
Great way to get extreme with some animals you'd never normally meat. Just slip a guy a fifty and they let you in at night.
>>
Enslaving any life in a cage or pen is not good. Its what is wrong with Humanity. always trying to enslave and confine something. Either with fences, steel bars, chains or religious morality & scientific law. Confine & Enslave &Control = Humanity. Its what we do best. Zoos are the ultimate manifestation of Human existence.
>>
>>2339366
If you hate humans so much then kill yourself
>>
>is an enclosed life a fair exchange for the benefit of no risks of natural wildlife?
Encaged animals don't understand this. They all develop mental and physical problems due to this unnatural way of life
>>
>>2339265
I used to work at the St. Louis zoo and while I can't speak for other zoos STL was very good at what it strived to do.

First and foremost the animals come first, most of the species in the zoo were either raised in captivity or would be at incredible risk if they were released back into the wild. The enclosures are generally very large and offer a lot of room.

I think what some people who are against zoos fail to realize is without them species such as the panda would straight up be wiped from the face of the earth, and reintroducing them to the wild is a horrible idea because pandas are retarded animals (just using them as an example) and other animals are hunted illegally in their natural habitat anyway.

STL in particular uses a good chunk of its funds generated from the zoo in wildlife preservation etc. and does its best to educate the general public about it.

Offtopic fun fact though, there's like several dozen antivenoms stored in a closet every 5 feet behind the enclosures at the reptile house. Them snakes are no joke.
>>
>>2339265
Potter Park Zoo in Lansing seems mostly ok... They are in a program where they breed endangered animals like their 19-year-old snow meow was born there, and their red panda just had babies.

Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek is really cool. The only thing I thought kind of sucked is the Mexican red wolves' enclosure was smallish. But that was years ago. That's the zoo where you cross a bridge over the painted dogs' enclosure, and that dumb lady/guy dropped their kid in there
>>
>>2339414
IIRC, St. Louis zoo was ranked one of the best in the country.
>>
Zoos are defiantly necessary though you should try to accommodate the animal as best you can though it's far from easy. Still a necessity. More people are going to zoos than ever so the public must want to learn something and how else would the publics interest be piqued and species need to be preserved.
>>
>>2339292
This is truly not an argument. My town has a free zoo, and our family was poor.

Are you saying that only rich people should be able to see lions, tigers, interesting fish from the Amazon, toucans, polar bears, otters, and bison? Because that's what you are saying.
>>
>>2339265
So long as the animals are well cared for, zoos are an extremely beneficial thing. We're still fighting poaching and a general apathetic attitude. Allowing people to have a close encounter with the animals of the world is a crucial part of the fight to change attitudes.
Furthermore, research has shown the animals in zoos, so long as they are well cared for, are significantly less stressed out than animals in the wild.
So, in conclusion, zoo=good.
>>
>>2339457
>poor people don't get to experience the same luxuries as rich people

Sounds right to me.
>>
>>2339474
Kill yourself my dude, everyone should get to experience cool animals. I wouldn't be half as interested in aquariums and reptiles if I hadn't gone to the zoo every week as a child.

I just realized I replied to bait.
>>
>>2339480
I have a free helicopter ride for you
>>
>>2339366
>Zoos are the ultimate manifestation of Human existence
And they're pretty cool aren't they.
>>
>>2339480
I'm not even the original poster, just someone whose jimmies are mildly rustled by the hypocrisy of someone calling out a non-argument with an emotional non-argument.

There's a lot of cool shit, such as international travel, that everyone should be able to experience - traveling abroad can be truly life-changing. Doesn't mean it should be free; doesn't mean you're entitled to it if your have the misfortune of being born to poor parents. That's just reality.
>>
>>2339493
doesn't mean animals are entitled to be free either, its just reality that they are caged up for our amusement. oh well
>>
>>2339278
they don't care about "freedom" because that's just struggling to avoid death everyday for an animal
>>
>>2339265
Ok with them as long as they don't keep the animals like shit
Good zoos help people get closer to nature, and help preserving animal species via breeding. The downside is that there are MANY zoos out there that don't care about animal wellfare
>>
File: fat catamount.jpg (426KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
fat catamount.jpg
426KB, 1024x683px
Zoos aren't bad, fat shaming is.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.