[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I would like opinions. Good or bad. I am getting either 1 baby

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: tumblr_ods0ytkxvX1qlyl69o1_1280.jpg (319KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ods0ytkxvX1qlyl69o1_1280.jpg
319KB, 1024x1365px
I would like opinions. Good or bad. I am getting either 1 baby mink or a pair of baby prairie dogs. So my pros/cons:

>mink
+i love all mustelids
+very intelligent and eager to train for meat
+bond to the person that bottlefed it
+can use the litterbox
+loves to swim
+their hyperness would be fun
+can actually be doglike in terms of companionship
-extremely energetic, needs all-day exercise and mental stimulation
-most likely will bite anyone/anything but me
-might still bite me no matter what
-smelly pee

>prairie dogs
+think their "language" is fascinating and adorable
+easier and cheaper to feed vs mink
+more affection than rats
+don't have any particularly bad odors
+can get along with other people and animals
+bonds very close to their owner
+much less likely to be aggressive vs mink
+generally live longer than mink
-they require hay, I'm miserably allergic to hay
-more cost for buying bedding
-they tend to chew on everything out of cage like rabits
-they poop more/not litter trainable
-can become aggressive after puberty, even if they're fixed

The pd pups cost $300 for a pair. There's only 1 vet near me, who specializes in rodents and rabbits, that is willing to fix them and will do it cheap because he's never done it before.

The mink baby is $300, plus $90 to be shipped to me. I will be bottle-feeding it. It's much more expensive to get it fixed, plus rabies shots are mandatory. But my vet is ok with treating "pet" mink.

Pic related, thinking of getting an albino mink.
>>
Don't get an animal that you are allergic to, or allergic to what you have to feed it. It won't work out well and if someone else lives with you, they will end up being your pet slave while you stand behind them and watch them tend to your pets needs. They will begin to hate you.
>>
I imagine you have the means to house either of these or you wouldn't post this on /an/ like a huge retard.

I'd honestly go for the mink.
>>
>>2338989
Also do minks "bite" things to test them like a dog might or do they bite to kill.

Honestly depending on that, both of these might be utterly terrible for you.
>>
>>2338985
You're body will adjust to allergies or you take an allergy pill.

I've always been allergic to cats, but after I live with one for a month or two, my allergies drop dramatically to an occasional sneeze and scratch on the chin.

>and if someone else lives with you, they will end up being your pet slave while you stand behind them and watch them tend to your pets needs

Sorry that happened to you anon, but not everyone is like that.

>>2338979
RFG, get the prairie dogs. You've had lot of ferrets, and a mink will be similar. A prairie dog would be a whole new experience.
>>
File: IMG_0113.jpg (424KB, 688x594px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0113.jpg
424KB, 688x594px
>>2338985
I've been that person (that cares for neglected pets), so it wouldn't come to that. My allergies aren't deathly. If it got bad enough the guy selling them takes in "unwanted" exotic pets. But i actually bought a bag of timothy hay and left it open in my room, i can feel my sinuses get sore and stuffy. I heard orchard grass hay (?) Is sometimes ok for people allergic to timothy hay

>>2338991
I think they bite to kill, but not sure if a pup that's used to it's owner might play bite. Ive been bitten by 2 mink in my life so I'm not afraid of it. My vet said he isn't either. He said they also don't euthanize exotic pets if they bite. Thankfully

>>2338993
I'm leaning towards the pups. I love mink so much though. Another downside to pd's, they are natural ferret prey, so idk if my ferrets would go crazy. I mean they would never be in contact
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (213KB, 1536x1497px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
213KB, 1536x1497px
I also thought of experimenting with raising a mink baby with my ferrets, with my supervision.
>>
>>2339005
>owning two animals that have a prey/predator relation

I see nothing going wrong whatsoever.
>>
>>2339030
Haha well they have stable cages. My ferrets won't even kill a mouse and hate meat. But i wouldn't let them interact with the pd's ever
>>
>>2338993
Allergies can either desensitize or sensitize over time, and there's no way of knowing which direction you're going to go. While yes, you can adjust, many people just get worse with chronic exposure to an allergen.
>>
prairie dogs need to burrow though, how can that be accommodated in a regular cage setting?
>>
>>2339078
Prairie dogs burrow in the wild to provide shelter and protection from predators. They don't need to when they already have both of those things. A rabbit needs to dig in the wild, your pet rabbit does not. A guinea pig digs in the wild, your pet guinea pig does not. They will still display digging instincts from time to time and you can provide bedding or mounds of dirt to satisfy that instinct, but it is not necessary.
>>
Have you seen the dude on YouTube who uses mink for hunting? They're a ton of work. Why an albino mink and not just an albino ferret? Ferrets are also softer.
>>
File: prairie-dog-greeting.jpg (991KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
prairie-dog-greeting.jpg
991KB, 1600x900px
>>2339110
I've talked to Joseph. He's the one who can send me a baby mink.
>>
I think ill get pd's.
>>
>>2339173
You better post them once you get them, I am very curious about praire doggos.
>>
>>2339209
If my ferrets don't eat them
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.