[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

front legs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 353453tertrt.png (312KB, 655x271px) Image search: [Google]
353453tertrt.png
312KB, 655x271px
Why are the front legs of horses (and zebra, cow, deer, etc) different from a lion's (or dog, wolf, tiger, etc)? They bend in a different way, why? What's the advantage of each kind of front leg?
>>
File: GB - L4.jpg (31KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
GB - L4.jpg
31KB, 640x480px
>>2337317
They bend in the same way mate.
>>
>>2337319
But in a different direction, look at the pic
>>
File: Fig_1_9_VertebrateLimbHomology.jpg (67KB, 741x251px) Image search: [Google]
Fig_1_9_VertebrateLimbHomology.jpg
67KB, 741x251px
>>2337320
No. The elbow bends backwards, the wrist forwards.
>>
>>2337322
and why did this happen to horses? is there any advantage?
>>
File: demo.png (318KB, 650x288px) Image search: [Google]
demo.png
318KB, 650x288px
>>2337320
No they don't.
>>
>>2337324
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/horse/the-evolution-of-horses/on-your-toes
>>
>>2337326
>>2337327
thanks
>>
>>2337327

Horses walk on their toenails, literally.
>>
>>2337317
I have no idea about those herbivores but hunters need to crouch-walk and leap.
Hunters also have more elasticity due to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQDAUv6d_KY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXKLVsB_7aw
>>2337326
Both sense and direction are different.
>>
>>2337317

All hoofed animals evolved from a common ancestor from the late Triassic. Hoofs are great for walking on all kinds of terrain and their gait allows the animal for quick linear movement, as in they are prey animals and they need to run from predators.

Must be a great advantage cause from that one ancestor you have all the kinds of hoofed descendant species. All over the world.

All Quadrupleds have a common ancestor, lions and dogs inherited the body plan and modified it, cats have more shoulder flexibility cause they need it for climbing trees and catching prey with their front limbs.

K9s run down their prey and dont climb trees and they have no such range of motion cause their lifestyle is mostly on the ground.
>>
>>2337388
I think the spinal stiffness is more about the endurance of the animal.

Animals with stiffer spines tend to be long-distance runners. The stiffer spine probably means that it doesn't have to move as much and thereby allows better energy conservation. Might also be better for plains animals with few obstacles. See: horses and wolves

However, other animals (especially predators, but also some prey) and much better at bursts of speed over short distances, and leaping. A more flexible spine allows for more of a springlike effect when jumping and/or running. This seems better for ambush and also for tight quarters such as woodlands or tunnels. See: cats and rodents
>>
Take off your shoes and stuff. Now stand on your toes. Now imagine sliding your heel up to where your knee is and your knee somewhere else and you'll have a good idea what's going on. Hooves are toes
>>
>>2337395
I used the wrong word. It was meant to be flexibility as in more possible angles, my bad.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.