[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

B

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: Bz.jpg (17KB, 198x254px) Image search: [Google]
Bz.jpg
17KB, 198x254px
Are bees becoming endangered?
Can the human race survive without bees?
>>
>>2337058
I really think we can save bees but anyone who says we can't survive without bees is a fucking dumb ass. Most our oxygen comes from phytoplankton if you wanna bring up that pollination bull shit.
>>
>>2337059
>what is mass starvation
>>
I think we could easily come up with a way to pollinate our own crops.
All our food comes from farms anyway whats the point of having yellow jackasses?
>>
>>2337061
>What are artificial sweeteners
What "food" do you think they make we depend on? They make additives and sweet snacks big whoop.
>>
>>2337062
>>2337067
We can't fucking hand-pollinate every flower in the world you autistic fucks
>>
File: Sweat bee.jpg (141KB, 700x469px) Image search: [Google]
Sweat bee.jpg
141KB, 700x469px
>>2337062
Farms still use bees.

>>2337067
Lol, did you actually think the starvation thing was due to honey?
The lack of pollinators is the biggest issue.
Many of our staple crops are wind-pollinated, but many many others would be lost. If anything, it would be an economic crash.

>>2337059
>Bees being connected to oxygen supplies
That has always been the ocean and trees. Noone thinks this. Insect pollinated plants are insignificant in global carbon sinking. See above as to why the bee loss is an issue.

Bees are not becoming endangered, the major type of bee that we use for farming is. Wild bee populations are still chugging along as normal, but people tend to ignore them. In some areas, wild bee species (sweat bees, leafcutter bees, etc) make up the majority of the pollinators in an area.

Keep in mind wild bees are not like honeybees, and are quite diverse when compared to what most people would think bees are like. They offer resistance to local pests, adaptation to local climate, and the exact same pollinating capability, sometimes better (see bumblebees and buzz pollination). If we just switched to nurturing native bees in each of our locales, we would have a way more stable pollinator population.
>>
To sum it all up can this cheerio propaganda work if people plant dumb wildflowers for bees?
>>2337071
http://blog.generalmills.com/2017/03/1-week-1-5-billion-seeds/
>>
>>2337071
>apis mellifera goes extinct
>beekeepers use other bees, but don't get the same honey
Nobody fucking starves.
Also bees aren't going extinct.
>>
>>2337071
Er, tl;dr:
>>2337075
>>
>>2337070
We don't have to because self pollination is a thing you know
>>
>>2337071
Not even half our food supply comes from a bees help
>>
>>2337079
Not all plants can self pollinate however
>>
File: cornuse.jpg?v=42809.jpg (72KB, 486x380px) Image search: [Google]
cornuse.jpg?v=42809.jpg
72KB, 486x380px
>>2337071
Wild pollinators are on the decline too. Bombus Affinis is now classified as endangered.

>>2337080
Numerical percentage is irrelevant. First, corn is the most grown food in America and the vast majority of it is slated for animal consumption or ethanol production. Second, a system as complex as the food supply can still suffer crippling losses from even a 10% decline in production. It's hilarious that sites like https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/08/12/pollinator-myth-bees-responsible-one-third-global-food-heightening-crisis-like-7/ can say with a straight face that pollinators "only" contribute a 10%-40% yield increase while completely ignoring that the 25% increase in yields is what makes it profitable.
>>
>>2337058
>Can the human race survive without bees?
Americans can just hire illegals to pollinate the crops
dunno what the rest of the world can do though.
>>
>>2337298
Not all plants are needed either. Like I said, yes we can live
>>
File: enemy.1943-714x1024.jpg (745KB, 714x1024px) Image search: [Google]
enemy.1943-714x1024.jpg
745KB, 714x1024px
>>2337058
Bees have many enemies
>>
Killing off the bee population is part of the new world orders plan to kill major populations
>>
>>2337071
>Bees are not becoming endangered, the major type of bee that we use for farming is.
no it isn't
where do people come up with this shit?

like saying cows are endangered or pigs or chickens.

it's not even a possibility.
>>
Bees do exist.
>>
>>2337058
Honey bees don't matter all that much for food production. Most of the staple crops are wind pollinated or simply cloned. Honey bees aren't even native to most of the world. They are from Southeast Asia. As a result, there's 1,000s of other species of insects that pollinate everything already (flies, wasps, other types of bees, ants, etc).

Even in the greenhouses I worked at they used bumble bees, instead of honey bees for pollination.

The real problem here is that we are noticing honey bees first. What about all the other insect pollinators? Are they also declining? If they are, then we are going to miss out on a lot of food types. Honey bees don't even pollinate in my garden all that much. Bumble bees and everything else does it instead.

t. bee keeper
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LG6cQQ1Sjo&t=78s
>>
>>2337071
I'm a beekeeper and am pretty connected to the beekeeping world. I'munder the impression that the exact opposite is true.
European honeybees are livestock and that although large scale bee operations are losing large percentages of bees anually, they are much better off and even outcompeting many native pollinators as a species. Honeybees shouldn't even be in the new world from an ecological standpoint and many of the problems beekeepers are having come from the lifestyle they are forced into. Being packed up into semi loads and shipped across the country from one large monoculture farm to another and being exposed to pesticides and parasites is, surprise, bad for them. Like other anon says, they really only matter for our own human agriculture purposes, and honeybees aren't going anywhere.

Like other other anon says, the problem with honeybees is that they are just the very single insect humans are invested and are a canary the coalmine. If homeybees are hurting I gurantee other things are hurting worse. Here in texas several bee yards were recently wiped out because the county was spraying for mosquitos. Think of the incredible damage that must have been done to the ecosystem under that cloud of poison, and the only thing that was noticed were a fee angry beekeepers. This kind of shit is going on everywhere. Simply genociding the bottom of the foodchain can't be a good idea.
>>
Fuck bees. They aren't the only animals that are capable of pollinating shit. There are wasps that make honey themselves, and are much stronger than bees.
>>
File: cover_01.jpg (168KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
cover_01.jpg
168KB, 600x800px
This book contains an answer to your question. And this book is not a Bible.
>>
>>2337058
>European honeybees are an absolute necessity for pollinating/growing crops in non-European countries

I've never understood this argument. Do these people think all of North America was some barren wasteland before honeybees were introduces here?
>>
>>2339096
>mosquito trucks
This is why we haven't had a firefly around here in over two decades. It has impacted the dragonflies too, but not as severely.
>>
>>2339695
Oh, were doing this by cropduster, much larger scale. Trying to control a single insect by wiping all of them is fucking idiotic.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.