[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would it take to develop a breed of dog suitable for an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: giddyup.png (2MB, 1410x1080px) Image search: [Google]
giddyup.png
2MB, 1410x1080px
What would it take to develop a breed of dog suitable for an adult human to ride like a horse without causing harm?
>>
>>2336861
>would it take
alot of time & money spent on selective breeding
>>
>>2336861
Being born on a frozen shithole breed.

Also, Irish wolfhound or Caucasian Ovcharka for adult with dwarfism.
>>
>>2336865
How many generations? What breeds would you start out with? If there was a group dedicated to this in the long term (even say over a few hundred years) how should they go about it?
>>
Never.

Horses & camels are built like tanks.
>>
>>2336861
Christ these pictures of children riding Great Danes as if they're horses pisses me off. They're not horses, they weren't meant to carry your ass.

A few years ago one of my sister's friends tried jumping on my dane's back and riding it and he started freaking out and scrambled to get away from her. I asked her what the fuck she was doing and she laughed and said she wanted to ride it. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>2336882
Yeah because they were domesticated for riding.
You used to require multiple horses just to pull a cart.
>>
>>2336914
Horses and camels started out as large beasts in the wild, and then required thousands of years of selective breeding to be able to reliably carry man.

Think on that for a moment.
>>
>>2336882
The horse's acestor was smaller than the current horse
>>
>>2336861
Keep in mind these dogs would have to be about as large as a horse. Currently larger dogs degrade faster and die earlier. The current theory is the heart works harder to pump blood throughout the larger body and therefore wears down faster.
>>
The one thing that /an/ won't tell you is that structural difference between dogs and horses is so great that you they would never be able to use canines as a riding animal.

So plainly, dogs do not have the back structure that would be able to support a human being or any sort of substantial weight on it at a single point. This is very unique to non equestrian animals in that their spines are concave as compared to convex. A convex spine such as a horse or a camel can been under the pressure of weight and distribute evenly to the front and back vertebrae. A convex spine puts strain on the middle vertebra as well as the internal organs under it. If one were to ride a dog, moose, or any other animal with a concave spine : they would have to be placed farther up onto the shoulders of the animal so less harm would likely to occur as a result of the shoulder plate supporting the weight rather than the actual vertebra.

In OPs picture, the baby is too far back on the dog's spine.
>>
>>2337469
Well put. It'd be very hard to keep on a running dog. Unlike horses and camels that keep their head up, dogs do not. Seeing people ride on lions also looks awkward as fuck since they're so horizontal.

Size and health just don't work like that with dogs either. Our large breed dogs live very short lives already from a combination of issues, some of which are related to size. You'd need a very broad dog about the size of a large bear which still would be pretty awkward to ride depending how tall someone is.
>>
>>2337496
and it'd probably die in 5 years, dogs just don't bare weight well and are prone to fucked up hips
>>
>>2336882
Horses are built like tanks on bamboo stilts. Tanks that want to blow themselves up.
>>
I've seen pitbulls pulling hundreds of pounds. Great danes confirmed for weak ass dogs.
>>
>>2336866
Irish Wolfhound would be a terrible starting point to breed a horse/dog. You want something with a stronger spine.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.