[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do animals understand death?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

File: 1489680660509.webm (469KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489680660509.webm
469KB, 426x240px
Do animals understand death?
>>
>>2336252
That's like saying "are animals right-handed."
>>
>>2336252
They do. They main not understand it like we do, but they are aware of death and recognize it.
>>
>>2336252
most humans don't understand death

animals would understand it better since they were never consciously alive in the first place, but things that aren't consciously alive don't understand things.
>>
They all understand the difference between alive and dead in a basic way. Even insects. Now whether they mourn or not is species dependent.
>>
>>2336287
Some animals are most certainly conscious
>>
>>2336301
Most animals are conscious. Many animals are sentient.

Few animals are sapient.

Consciousness is being able to know there is food inside the nut.

Sentience is being able to know if you like that kind of nut or not, irrespective of it being good or bad.

Sapience is not eating the nut because you're allergic to it and don't want to deal with that bullshit.
>>
>>2336252
They recognize death when they see it but they're not self conscious about it, they never think they're going to die
>>
>>2336284
I don't understand this post.. some are, right?
>>
>>2336305
pretty sure most animals avoid eating food that makes them ill
>>
>>2336359
So that's why dogs love chocolate!
>>
>>2336362
If you suddenly dropped dead because aliens from another dimension had shot you with an invisible deathray for scratching your nose in a way that offends their religion, it doesn't count against your sapience that you can't understand why you're dead after scratching your nose.
>>
>>2336252
Well enough that I no longer keep multiple pets.
>>
>>2336399
that just makes you a coward
>>
>>2336396
how is that in any way analogous to a poisonous substance loved by dogs
>>
>>2336307
I feel like most humans think that way.

I mean fuck, I get a panic attack if I linger too long on the fact that I am going to die one day.
>>
>>2336417
I think his point is the substance is an evolutionary novelty, they haven't had time to evolve a response to it.

just like aliens killing you would be.
>>
>>2336421
>I am going to die one day.
don't worry, you can't know it happened. So as far as you're concerned it never will.
>>
>>2336362
That's why your dad is going to die from lung cancer, your sister loves crack and you love 4chan.
What's your point now stupid
>>
>>2336362
Are you retarded? You realize there is like an entire thing that exists only because almost all animals DO realize that, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposematism
>>
>>2336362
no, that's the fat and sugar dyed brown you eat and call chocolate. if you had more refined tastes or actually liked chocolate your dog would have no interest in it.
>>
>>2336423
quantum immortality is my biggest fear.
>>
>>2336422
it's just another obvious flaw with the theory of evolution, just ignore it and move on
>>
>>2336427
>projecting this hard and specifically

do you need to talk about anything?
>>
>>2336492
>quantum immortality is my biggest fear
it's unlikely. Even in infinite universes you have a life span and you're not going to get past it.
>>
>>2336362
>>2336396
>>2336417
>>2336422
>>2336501
2/10
>>
I think some do. Not sure to what extent. Elephants apparently grieve and have some sort of funeral. They are also very interested when they come across elephant remains.

Monkeys also carry their dead babies for awhile. I remember a zoo let a mother carry it's baby's rotting carcass around to allow her to grieve but in the wild she would have left it earlier. Not sure how long she had it for but it was very rotten.

Birds are also very interested in their dead friends. I think parrots understand. Ducks and pigeons just rape the bodies.
>>
>>2336252
Thats one of the saddest things ever
>>
Just eat raw cocoa beans just fucking do it
>>
File: magpies.webm (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
magpies.webm
3MB, 480x360px
>>
Some have an understanding of it, if only in a way that aids their survival.
Crowd for example tend to keep away if they spot more than a few dead crows in one spot.
>>
>>2336407
I'm high as fuck and I still can't follow your reasoning.
>>
>>2336362
And why you loved lead paint and anti-freeze as a child!
>>
>>2336635
Our ancestors didn't grow up eating crawfish etouffee yet when I got sick the first time I ate it I was smart enough to stay away from it. What's your point?

That guys point was that some dogs are too stupid to realize they got really sick after eating chocolate so they eat it again. Humans are therefore smarter with their "sapience" because they can make the connection and stop eating it even though it tastes good.

The argument itself is kind of stupid though because many of the main studies done on learned aversion to foods and tastes were done with mice which are dumber than dogs. If you were going to try to pick apart his argument, this was a better way
>>
Are animals aware of the fact that one day they will die?
>>
>>2336252

a lot of animals do, certain species even have 'funerals' and their own customs to an extent, like great apes and elephants
>>
>>2336724
>Humans are therefore smarter with their "sapience" because they can make the connection and stop eating it even though it tastes good.
>>
>>2336305
Plont just go.
>>
>>2336931
keked
>>
>>2336938
and people say bugguy is gone.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIg8WSIBpo
>>
>>2336252
Yeah
>>
>>2336724
Dogs can definitely learn that a food made them feel bad and then avoid it. Anecdotally, I had a dog that was having a problem that would cause it severe stomach pain whenever it ate.

Regardless of how hungry it was, it wouldn't eat. Novel food items were eaten once, and then rejected. It knew it was getting sick from eating the food it was presented with, and if it'd had the food before and the food made it sick, it would never touch that food item again.

We went through a lot of different brands and toppers and treats trying to make its food appealing before it was properly diagnosed. With a final food change, and proper medicine, it eats every single meal. In the past it would regularly go two or three days without eating anything. I was constantly afraid it'd starve to death. It was nothing but skin and bones.

I guess dogs don't necessarily always either get sick from the quantity of chocolate imbibed, or it kills them outright, so there isn't always a lot of chance for learning. Just saying.
>>
>>2336427
>and you love 4chan
Fuck :'( im here 5ever
>>
Corvids do
They have "funerals" so that they can learn how their comrade died, and if the danger is still near.
>>
>>2336307
>they never think they're going to die

I think they do, just look at all the prey animals, they know something bad is gonna happen if they get caught by a lion or something.
>>
>>2336252
Some do some don't. Birds are considered smarter than previously thought too.
>>
>>2336952
Apparently he left as soon as his janitor application was accepted. Convenient huh?
>>
>>2336305

>Sapience is not eating the nut because you're allergic to it and don't want to deal with that bullshit.

So, macaws.

They eat toxic fruit (because they have to or else they'd starve), then eat clay to absorb the toxins.
>>
>>2336308
Well, sure. Must be. Most polar bears are left handed.
>>
>>2336252
Only a few do,I get the general impression that most sort of feel something's not right.
>>
If they love their owners, yes. If they don't, no.
>>
>>2336252

We will never know for sure, but I think they do. Maybe not how we comprehend death and coping with death, but I think they do actually understand the basic meaning of it
>>
>>2336284
>tfw my dog is left handed
>>
>>2336287
My cat is conscious
>>
>>2336252
why is he rolling a birb joint?
>>
>>2336252
Some certainly do.
One out our gorillas passed away and we had to leave it where it was for quite some time while the other gorillas came up to it one by one.

It seemed like some kind of mourning but I cant really say for sure since I'm honestly not a gorilla at all.
>>
>>2336284
My dog is left-handed
>>
>>2336252
My dog definitely understood when my cat was dying and died.
>>
>>2336597
>can we eat him now?
>>
File: drab.png (214KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
drab.png
214KB, 400x400px
>>2337952
>I'm honestly not a gorilla at all.
>>
>>2336724

>Humans are therefore smarter with their "sapience" because they can make the connection and stop eating it even though it tastes good.
You must have never visited America.
>>
>>2336284
Polar bears are all Southpaws.
>>
>>2336252
Some apes and other extremely "intelligent" animals seem to have a grasp on mortality, but not necessarily their own.
>>
>>2338431
>dat laying down at the end
i cried
>>
>>2336305
So self-driving cars have consciousness then
>>
>>2338825
Yeah, I wish more people had a grasp on their own mortality too.
>>
File: 1369729029723.jpg (682KB, 1893x1420px) Image search: [Google]
1369729029723.jpg
682KB, 1893x1420px
>>2336252

No, but the term 'understand' is a bit relative. One could very well argue that we don't either.

There are things about death animals cant understand, like the permanent nature of it due to linear time, or the absence of being, the latter being an intellectual failure among ourselves in most cases.

But there are things about death they can feel and observe also. For example, fearing something before there is pain, or terror. A change in behavior in a creature, namely being suddenly inanimate, which governs a lot about how an animal reacts to another. If, for example, an animal kills another animal, it is not the specific abstract of death it is analyzing for clues, but rather 'can it keep escaping/or fighting me?'. Animation is what fools a lot of animals, including human children, into thinking something is alive when it isnt.

For social creatures, it is a bit harder and sadder, even if they dont understand the permanent nature. When a loved one dies, a parent, child, mate or friend, the bereaved animal notes that change in behavior and and further personally has an association with it eventually: loss. Its loved one wont react, wake up, move around or respond in a way the bereaved animal is used to, and this would naturally frustrate and upset the surviving animal who has become conditioned to the companionship, love or support. Its a negative event and the poor animal cant reason what has happened. It feels loss very much, or more accurately, a very hurtful change in situation, without knowing how to adapt and being powerless to 'fix' it, or even to understand it. All it knows is something unwanted has happened and its not going back to how it was; their child, parent, mate or companion wont 'wake up' and join the comfortable routine the surviving animal was used to, and likely was emotionally invested in, if not for survival, at least a sense of normalcy...
>>
File: 1368383400824.jpg (160KB, 573x430px) Image search: [Google]
1368383400824.jpg
160KB, 573x430px
>>2339027

... And god knows how much we all cherish that sense of normalcy when its gone, so I imagine for social creatures, its much the same. Its a very hard world trying to find food and escape monsters every day with the weather tormenting you. Having to face it suddenly alone with one less ally, one less set of eyes to watch for food or attackers must be equally miserable for them.
>>
>>2339028
>inb4 fedora edgefags
>>
>>2337981
magpies are literally the inheritors of human civilization retard, show some fucking respect
they mate for life, thats a husband mourning his wife
>>
>>2338431
A street cat from my neighborhood had her kittens, about 5 or so, and one day they were all killed. They were spread all over the neighborhood all dead. One was in front of my house so my dad threw him in the trash can. The next morning when we woke up we saw mommy cat sleeping on top of the trash can.
>>
>>2339043

2000 years ago a man could do magic

After he died, he came back to life, and flew away into the sky

He's still up there, and he can see you. He can come get you and burn u forever too!!!!!

And if you doubt this story, then you wear funny hats and are very sharp
>>
>>2339156
Why are Christians so edgy?
>This is god he's my OC character
>he created everything and he can do literally ANYTHING
>Once he FLOODED THE ENTIRE WORLD AND KILLED EVERYTHING
>and if he gets mad at u, he sends you to his personal TORTURE DIMENSION called Hell... for ETERNITY... so u best watch out kiddo
>also he knows LITERALLY everything
>His son was Jewish, so he nailed him to a piece of wood FOR THREE DAYS AND KILLED HIM... And now he forces peopel to drink his blood...
>>
>>2339128

Thats the sad, hard part to watch, because we know what they dont. They are waiting for it to end, for their friend to wake up because waiting is all they can do. They have no reason to think otherwise.

This usually goes on until something distracts them, they get used to new reality, or in cases where there has been severe damage that changes the general shape or appearance of the deceased, the animal living intuits by the deceased's appearance that the deceased is gone (because the familiar appearance of it is gone), which is all the living animal has to go by to interpret its environment; it has little abstracting ability.

Humans have a wide variety of unusual, irrational behaviors interpreting death. Parents will keep a room unchanged, or set a plate at dinner. People talk to headstones. Some put things in caskets with the deceased, convinced that they are going somewhere and might like to have it.

Emotional bonding is a real thing, When reality changes, the mind has to re-wire things quickly, and this too is a real, physical process. Despair hurts. When we cry, the symptoms in humans seem a lot like smoke inhalation; the eyes water, sinuses discharge, the chest feels constricted and breathing becomes erratic as disorientation sets in.

Whatever the mind is doing, it is not pleasant.
>>
>>2339161
to be fair, christian god is derivative of other gods from other mythologies.
YWHW is cruel because they were cruel. And early people wanted some almighty explanation for why bad things happen.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.