[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recently received 3 guinea pigs 2 days ago from an owner who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (10KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 470x313px
Recently received 3 guinea pigs 2 days ago from an owner who could no longer keep them (one is 2 years old, rest are 1 year old) and I would appreciate any advice on keeping guinea pigs. I'm not very sure on how to get them to be comfortable with me being their owner, it's challenging changing their bedding when they keep running away when I try to pick them up and locate them somewhere elese temporarily. Help me /an/.
>>
Let them outside, guinea pigs are never truly domesticated
>>
How big is their cage? They need minimum of 8 square feet so the 2x4 Midwest habitat cages are good for them. More room means you can clean the cage fewer times each week. Make sure the bedding is care fresh or kaytee shredded paper, no wood shavings. As for having them get used to you, just spend time next to them and hand feed them stuff like romaine lettuce. I also recommend getting them a litter box like pic related. You can corral them in there and just lift the entire box to move them somewhere else. If you keep chasing them down to pick them up they'll be more scared of you.
>>
>>2334892
A few other things, make sure that the pellets you give them are for guinea pigs and not for rabbits, some people make this mistake thinking that they are the same. Also avoid any pellet food that comes with weirdly colored pellets, they only need timothy hay based pellets. Make sure that the guinea pigs have constant access to hay as well. I recommend getting them things to chew as well such as apple sticks and other chew toys for guinea pigs. Good luck on taking care of them OP. They're always skittish at first but after bonding with them you can even keep them on your lap and cuddle.
>>
>>2334895
How much would such a litter box cost? Also I've found they prefer carrots over lettuce, they seem to go to the carrot first before the lettuce (I think that's what their previous owner fed them regularly as well), how would I hand feed them carrots? Do I slice them and feed them like a bird?
>>
>>2334895
Also I'm quite handy myself and I believe I could effectively build them a litter box out of wood, I just don't know which type of wood is safe for them or if making it out of wood is a good idea at all. Thanks for all your help as well
>>
And last of all, is it a good idea to let them out of their cage for some "run-around" time during this period? I don't know if it's a good idea to pick them up out of their cage everyday to let them run around since they're obviously not comfortable with me picking them up yet. Should I tarry for a few days for them to get a bit more adjusted to me?
>>
>>2334916
You don't want to feed them carrots too often, 2-4 times a week is fine, romaine lettuce though can be fed on the daily. Cilantro, yellow and green bell peppers, and cucumbers can also be fed to your Guinea pigs. This website gives you a list and an idea of what veggies they can eat and how often each week. Whenever I feed my guinea pigs carrots I use baby carrots and hold it out to them.

http://www.happycavy.com/what-can-guinea-pigs-eat/#list

If you want to make them a litter box out of wood avoid cedar and pine, both are toxic to guinea pigs. If you can try to make it out of oak, maple, elder, or willow so in case they chew on it it won't hurt them. They won't exclusively use the litter box but you can encourage them to use it more by placing timothy hay in it so they can graze while going to the bathroom.

Since you just got them recently you definitely want to give them time to adjust to you. Then you can take them out more to let them have some free time to run around. You can even sit or lay down on the floor while they're out so they can sniff and inspect you, it helps them get to know you better.
>>
Make sure to talk to them as much as possible, that way they learn to recognize your voice and know your not a predator.
>>
>>2335077
Thank you so much for the help. I feel like a Guinea Pig expert now!
>>
>>2334892
why not wood shavings
>>
>>2335434
I believe they can cause respiratory problems
>>
I'd go fleece blankets for bedding, you can wash them and once bought you don't have to keep buying bedding. Get good piggie pellets for them, look for oxbow brand on Amazon for example. Look into what veggies they can have and keep a supply so they can have daily snacks.

Spend a lot of time with them, if you put in the time they will be as social as a dog. My two piggies follow me around and seek me out for rubs. Also make a point to touch there feet and mouths a lot so they get used to it. Makes nail cutting easier.
>>
>>2335527
What do you advise I do at the moment? I can't exactly play with them since they run away everytime I approach but I did try hand feeding them a carrot recently but it wasn't a major success. All that happened was one of the piggies took 3 bites and backed off, I tried feeding the others but all they did was sniff it and turn away.
>>
>>2335581
Try sleeping in an old shirt and leave it in their cage so they get used to your scent? It works for other animals, so I'd assume it works for piggos
>>
>>2335581
Just be patient and when you let them out to free roam lay down and wait for them to approach you. They'll learn that you aren't a threat and in time will come to you more.

This anon >>2335527 also brought up a good point with fleece bedding. I currently have a layer of fleece with an under pad under it. There are instructions on how to wick fleece so any pee goes right through it into whatever you have below.
>>
>>2335581
Taming guinea pigs is a lengthy process. It takes several months up to a year. Getting them to approach to get food from your hand is good progress.
>>
>>2335581
Just take your time and make sure you are a positive experience.

Sit down and place lettuce next to you about 3foot away and let them eat without approaching or moving, next day the same but move the lettuce a bit closer to you, and so on, and so on.

Also try leaving your dirty t-shirts with them to sniff so they can get used to it.
>>
I kept mine in a hard-sided plastic kids pool with a layer of aspen. kept 'em right outside the kitchen by the back door so I could give them veggies whenever and drag the pool outside to wash it when needed

they can't climb for shit but give them a sturdy box to get on top of and they will experience True Self-Esteem. they need a lot of flat space for running and screaming

they will soil everything quickly. guinea pigs eat nothing but fiber and consequently they are little shit machines. plus they piss a lot, and in significant quantities. give them a little bed or pillow to lounge on (it's cute) but be warned that it will need washing often

get some nice green timothy hay from the nearest feed store. I used to get a small compressed bale, like 35 lb, from a farm for like $15 and it lasted months. best to give them both hay (unlimited supply) and timothy hay pellets supplemented with vitamin C for guinea pigs. alfalfa isn't a good choice and rabbit pellets don't have the vitamins they need. they like carrots, bell peppers, apple, any leafy greens. avoid spinach as it has a lot of calcium they don't need and iceberg lettuce because it's the shittiest vegetable in the grocery
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.