[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canned Cat Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: 31725b9a3f5f498bae5c0ad312c43693.jpg (82KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
31725b9a3f5f498bae5c0ad312c43693.jpg
82KB, 1000x1000px
Please respond!

>BEST wet cat foods

>DECENT wet cat foods

>WORST wet cat foods (and why they suck)

Bonus
>will feeding only wet food really dirty their teeth too bad? I don't want to feed dry
>>
>>2333261
Tiki cat is best nekocan.
>>
File: AwBi6Ar.jpg (175KB, 1080x989px) Image search: [Google]
AwBi6Ar.jpg
175KB, 1080x989px
Also, are fish/shellfish-based canned foods really bad for cats? I do have 1 cat that had a UTI a while back so i want to be careful.
>>
>>2333261
>BEST wet cat foods
I'd say brands like Weruva, Bravo, Ziwi peak, and the like

>DECENT wet cat foods
Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance, Orijen, and so forth. Generally what is commercially known as high end is usually only mid grade

>WORST wet cat foods (and why they suck)
Friskies, Fancy feast, 9-lives, nearly anything you see ads for or see at wal mart all suck fro pretty much the same reasons; fillers that cats can't digest well in the first place. The first ingredient in these are usually a grain or some other filler. Junk food for cats.

>will feeding only wet food really dirty their teeth too bad? I don't want to feed dry

No, it is a myth that dry food cleans their teeth. Even if chewing the kibble DID clean their teeth (which it doesn't, even for dog foods unless the food is specifically for tartar control), cats don't chew their food long enough to make any sort of cleaning action happen. So it's a complete myth, dry food is simply all around worse than wet food.

Read this
>http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/22/the-best-food-for-your-cat/
>>
>>2333272
It's advised to do fish based foods in moderation if at all because of toxins in the fish. That is if you want to go real cat lady crazy. Fish foods can lead to URI and cause issues for cats with existing kidney disease
>>
>>2333504
Why is fancy feast bad? Many of the flavors have zero fillers
>>
>>2333512
It's not terrible, but many of the cans include unspecified meat byproducts which means you may not be getting particularly nutritious ingredients. They also include additives that cats should avoid in excess like salt and sodium nitrite.
>>
>>2333261
Fish is ok in moderation. Cats in the wild do not naturally consume fish (only select "wild" breeds). Especially NEVER fed cats raw fish. Raw destroys thiamine, which is an essential B vitamin for cats. A lack of thiamine can cause serious neurological problems and lead to convulsions, coma, and eventually death.

>best wet food
>>2333504
I agree mostly with this anon

>dry food
Barley cleans their teeth. If you want to keep their teeth healthy then clean their bowels every other day (bacteria grows on their bowels), or feed on disposable plates.

Additionally dry food is awful for them. They did not eat this in the wild, and their bodies are not accustomed to the excess carbs (huge cause of obesity) and dryness. It's important your cat drinks water. In the wild, from a kill, theirs blood/water all over the meat. Also cats in the wild like to drink from flowing water like rivers, or creeks (not stagnant water). I suggest buying a *ceramic water fountain.

Eventually I suggest moving solely towards wet food, and then look into a raw diet. There's some minerals and vitamins you need to add in the raw diet, but from what I've researched, a raw diet is the healthiest diet. I currently do not have cats so I honestly don't know much, but there are tons of information on the web. I high recommend the "cat site" forum. They have a section dedicated to feeding raw: http://www.thecatsite.com
>>
File: Cj5z3A_UYAEWcLj.jpg (9KB, 230x242px)
Cj5z3A_UYAEWcLj.jpg
9KB, 230x242px
I am appreciating the responses, everyone.

I had this puzzling experience.

We have 3 cats all around 5 years old, they have been eating only ZiwiPeak cans and Natural Instinct cans most of their life, never dry once I adopted/found them. Of course they've always had multiple fresh water sources, too. But one of them still developed a UTI, and I still don't understand how.

The cats have been great on the Royal Canin SO prescribed, and they love it, but the ingredients (and price for crap ingredients) turned me off.

So the past 3 months I have been feeding them canned again, but cheap brands like Sheba, certain types of Fancy Feast, and I&Love&You (this one's a higher quality). I've been mixing them up with water to add extra moisture. So far the cats have been doing great on this cheap stuff. And I'm retarded at math but I think this is cheaper than buying a 7lbs bag of RC for $40.

I was really upset I had fed my cats expensive, amazing canned food like ZiwiPeak, yet I still had to deal with a UTI. That's why I've been on the cheap cans. Thoughts?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.