[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breeding Snakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

So I bought my first snake, a Red-Tailed Boa Constrictor and was entertaining the idea of breeding him and selling the babies.

From what I've heard, there are tons of color mutations out there and I was wondering what color female to choose for my first clutch.

The snake I have is a Hypo. Pic related
>>
>>
>>
Do not breed. You will not make money. There are enough snakes in pet industry already.
>>
>>2331599
You are a fool
>>
File: IMG_4483.jpg (210KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4483.jpg
210KB, 800x600px
>>2331617

Ignore this. This poster is a mouse.

But 4 males and 4 females, one of those breeding racks, then breed as many snakes as you can. Breed and train, and breed again for four generations. Create a legion of snakes to do your biding! Be the snake man of the snake army of apocalypse!
>>
>>2331599
Unless you're willing to ship, which would require a business and breeding license, you are just gonna end up with a bunch of snakes unless there's an abnormally large market for them where you live.
>>
does snek have puss puss?
>>
>>2331647
>a business and breeding license
lol
>>
>>2331655
Only if you ship, it's federal law but hey it's not my problem if you get arrested.
>>
>>2331666
I intend to do whatever it takes in order to make this a viable source of income, including shipping. Although I'm fairly certain each state has its own laws regarding the legal length and weight a snake can be.

Im in NY and no snake can legally be kept as pet if its beyond 12 feet. Although I could be wrong.
>>
>>2331654

Cloaca.
>>
Hope you're prepared for culling clutches and snakes of any age. You're really not going to be making money unless you have some serious expensive mutations worth 1k+. Red tails are also cheap as dirt as far as snakes goes. Same with ball pythons but they sell better than red tails.
>>
>>2331666
Practically no one does that, and it is never any sort of issue.

>>2331681
It is very doubtful it'll be a viable source of income. breed snakes if you are interested, but actually making any money, let alone considerable amounts is extremely doubtful. Especially if you're just breeding a hypo boa.
>>
>>2331681
>Viable source of income

It's possible, but I suggest you take tips from puppy mills in that case. Those type of breeding operations are the only ones you can make a living off of alone.
>>
>>2331681
>a viable source of income
The only people who breed for the money and can live with it are the same kind of people as the dude from SnakeBytesTV (can't remember his last name right now): keeping animals in the bare minimum requirements 24/7. And they produce pretty shit quality and poor health animals too.
Succesful, quality breeding requires many things:
-Knowing exactly what genes your animal has
-Having a license
-Having money for vet visits
-Having money to keep all babies separated in their own enclosures
-Having an incubator
-Knowing how to market the babies
-Enough food for all of the snakes
And so on. You have very little chance of selling them all in a short amount of time
>>
>>2331744
how can you be sure SnakeBytesTV doesn't have any of that you listed?
>>
>>2331935
he's just a nerd who's jealous of brian, and gets triggered from clickbait
>>
>>2331599
Just found a post that addresses this issue
http://followthebluebell.tumblr.com/post/158202618002/why-you-should-not-breed-your-pet-reptile

Basically:
>Breeding takes an emotional and physical toll due to the great number of things that could go wrong
>If your animal isn't "breeder quality", a good example of its morph, or if you don't know its genetic history, you shouldn't breed them as this only contributes to the increase in sickly, "pet quality" animals
>Inherently expensive, the only way it could be cheap is if you were to neglect the animals greatly
>>
>>2331935
I'm not saying he doesn't have that stuff, I said that having money in mind before the animal's health means you're most likely gonna get pretty poor quality animals (both in looks and health in general).
There have been many cases of Brian Barczyc neglecting his animals, delivering sick animals, dead animals, or the wrong animals, plus the scaleless ball python fiasco.
>>
>>2332058
yeah I saw that scaleless video and just thought how the fuck can he claim to care about them so much and then go breed these guys?
>>
>>2332470
Ball python owners in general don't mind breeding and keeping mutants with terrible genetic issues.
The genetic stock in the captive strain is compromised anyways, there's much worse than scaleless animals.
It helps that the scaleless one can still thermoregulate and has eyecaps. Scaleless snakes arent even new.
>>
File: tumblr_ntj10uC2oL1r2x3k3o3_1280.jpg (51KB, 960x654px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntj10uC2oL1r2x3k3o3_1280.jpg
51KB, 960x654px
>>2332683
>>2332470
Never forget Mr. Smooth:
-Had weird dry skin
-Had a weird lump on him eversince he was born, and Brian hasn't done a thing about
And his female sister that's pressumed to be dead, she hasn't been mentioned in forever; we don't know if its linked to the morph (could be sex-linked like bananas in some way), or if it was just shitty breeding, mostly because Brian doesn't want to say a thing about the morph.
It's frankly astonishing how many ball python breeders go full retard and breed things like spiders and make desert females lay eggs, even if both could prove to be mortal. They make the whole hobby look bad.
>>
>>2332683
I was wondering about ball pythons and also dart frogs, how do they not get fucked up genetics from inbreeding? I guess less so with the pythons since they try and cross morphs but as im reading up on dart frogs i see a lot of people against breeding different looking dart frogs trying to keep the lines pure back to where they are from and all, but don't they get fucked up if they only breed the same frogs together even if there were 40 something frogs imported from that specific line at first?
>>
>>2332752
As far as I know, non-mammals aren't as prone to diseases or medical conditions from inbreeding. It still should be closely monitored though.
Also, the saltiness over keeping lines pure is mostly to know exactly what active and recessive genes an individual has in order to produce higher quality animals
>>
>>2332757
Do they still get new imports to introduce new blood or are they still working with the same ones that have been around since they first import them? Im not exactly sure how we in america go about getting new animals into the various hobbys. Inverts, herps, fish, whatever.
>>
>>2332763
Breeders usually get new blood from time to time, since as I said excessive inbreeding could actually lead to problems.
I don't know much about how americans handle themselves with imports either, but I do know they happen.
>>
>>2332768
I gotcha. The biggest thing im worrying about is ending up with something like pugs are with dogs where its obviously a genetic failure but people keep breeding it anyway.
>>
>>2332775
Google usually has your back on that for a morph or subspecies as a whole, but choosing a good breeder is equally as important.
I think the exotic pet that suffers from it the most are ball pythons:
>anything that has spider displayed is prone to having a wobble, the severity of it varying between individuals to the point some die of starvation because of a combo of stress and not being able to focus on prey
>Dominant spiderxSpider babies don't survive for long after hatching, none of them. Homozygous spiders don't exist.
>Desert females can't lay eggs properly (either from getting egg-bound or laying slug eggs)
>Super butters have "bug eyes", eyes that pop out more than normal, though they don't seem to affect the animals
>Pearl is usually lethal for the animal
>Caramel albinos are prone to being born with kinks in their spines
>>
>>2332779
Why are people still breeding these it seems like abuse. I know that they are trying to make attractive animals but once they start suffering like that shouldnt they take the animals wellbeing into account?
>>
>>2332782
A lot of these breeders keep doing it because, for example with Spiders "it was one of the first morphs, it launched the hobby!", "the wobble isn't so bad", "people like it" etc etc. It's amazing for all the wrong reasons, and I have to admit I hate how stunning many of the morphs look. Plus lots of beginners buy animals with issues related to their morphs without knowing.
Basically the same scenario as the people who breed shitty pugs (I think there are some breeders who're trying to breed for slightly taller, longer-muzzled pugs, those people are ok) or persian cats.
>>
>>2332735
>Had weird dry skin
That's to be assumed. Snakes have no oils in their skin

Regardless, ball pythons in general are fucked beyond repair. You'd need to cull the entire captive population and start over to fix it.

>>2332752
Ball pythons do.
>>
>>2332794
Can you still find unfucked ballpythons or is it best just to look at something else?
>>
>>2332797
Even normal ones tend to have a lot of issues feeding. I personally think they're all ruined.
>>
>>2332803
They have issues feeding because they are prone to hunger strikes just because, and get stressed ridiculously easy. Plus lots of them are stubborn and won't accept f/t preh. IIt always surprises me when people recommend them as first time reptiles, their eating habits can easily stress out a novice keeper.
>>
>>2332805
*prey
*it'll
Time to go to bed

>>2332797
It really varies from individual to individual, but the previous statement still stands. Try looking at kenyan sand boas or corn snakes:
-Sturdy
-Great feeding response
-Much more interesting to look at and interact with (bps usually don't move around much)
-Some great healthy morphs out there for both
Though the most important thing is you're actually interested in the species, rather than just being a replacement for what you actually wanted
>>
>>2332805
They eat worse than wild caught snakes though.
They weren't captive bred well in any way at any point. The fact that the first morph carried neurological problems and people bred it anyways says everything you need to know.

The entire species was bred to make money without any concern for health or sound genetics.
>>
really i never understood the ball python craze. because le pupy face? because the word "python" sounds exotic? Corn snakes are way more interesting.
>>
>>2332812
Because they could be sold for thousands of dollars at one point. People ended up breeding a ton, then they needed to get rid of the ones that didnt end up being special
So pet stores ended up trying to sell them as the perfect beginner snake because they wont die instantly
>>
>>2332735
in regards to the snakes always trying to bite him in his videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BecFHg3IbRc
I can't tell if she's just attaching human behavior to the snakes wild behavior but these are extremely tame snakes nonetheless, she handles them very freely and never gets bitten, so she's right that the more time you spend with your snake, the more they'll like you. And not spending enough time with them will just make them scared of you.
>>
>>2332983
I should've also added this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk_Ps6NTZkY&t=541s
just additional evidence that humans can tame reptiles in general, if you raise 'em really carefully and patiently.
>>
>>2332983
It's not that they like you more but that they tolerate you more or have gotten used to handling.
>>
>>2333006
This, basically, though some specimens like your body warmth and enjoy hiding under your shirt. Others are curious and explore the different textures you have (your skin, clothes, hair, glasses if you have them... most people with glasses say their snakes like climbing all over their faces).
It varies from snake to snake, but it goes from just tolerating you, to associating you with possitive things which makes them more eager to be out of their tank. What is definite is that they don't "like" or "love" you.
>>
>>2332986
well yeah those are monitors. lizards are the best
>>
>>2333010
heck you can say that for any animal, even humans. would your wife would love you if there were no positive things associated with you? it's just really hard to define "like" and "love"
>>
>>2333037
Snakes don't produce oxytocin mate, if we're talking a strictly chemical basis.
>>
>>2333041
and that oxytocin is just another positive thing to be associated with someone. I'm not saying that snakes can love like we imagine love. I'm saying that our love isn't really the love we imagine either.
>>
>>2333045
But oxicotyn makes us be able to get attached to others; reptiles can't do this, they can't form emotional bonds like us mammals do. That's what I was trying to get across when I said "they don't like or love us", so I apologize for he misunderstanding.
>>
>>2333058
*oxytocin
>>
>>2333006
my point is that the snakebytes guy's snakes are always biting him and stressed. It's not good for the animals and they won't be as good of pets.
>>
>>2333266
Sure but most people who buy from him are buying babies not adults. Which allows them to tame them, the stupid fuck has a few hundred snakes and a crocodile of course they'll bite as he doesn't handle them enough . I would buy from a good breeder, but finding a good snake breeder is hard as fuck, so I can see why people would just take the easy way out and buy from a store or him.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.