[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Havahart traps

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (329KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
329KB, 900x900px
What is the consensus on these? Anyone have experiences with them?

I have always been turned off to these due to some neighbors years ago, who would be seen dragging these with live raccoons/cats/possums behind cars or the 4wheeler. Then burning them with gasoline or spray paint.. Understand this is not the typical use :/

For trapping raccoons, is it humane to release them miles away?
>>
>>2331360
Stop shitposting
>>
>>2331360
Doesn't hurt them any. Used these traps when I was helping take care of an old man. His backyard was filled with old cars and other junk. The stray cats were breeding uncontrolled. We caught them without hurting them.
>>
My mom used to own a ton of these and would go out on all night stake-outs to trap wild cats. I can still almost smell the scent of mackerel and metal.
>>
>>2331387

But do raccoons store food and starve when moved? Chipmunks and squirrels do
>>
>>2331360
>I have always been turned off to these due to some neighbors years ago, who would be seen dragging these with live raccoons/cats/possums behind cars or the 4wheeler. Then burning them with gasoline or spray paint.. Understand this is not the typical use :/

and you called the authorities to report this gross antisocial behaviour?
>>
>>2331360
I used one to trap what I thought was going to be one raccoon.
Three raccoons and a skunk later my garden was finally secure.
>>
>>2331496
how did you release the skunk without getting sprayed?
>>
>>2331499
Oh it sprayed! I was lucky enough to not be in the direct line of fire. I picked the cage up and loaded it in my truck no problems, the skunk was more docile than the raccoons. When I got to where I was going I dropped the tailgate too hard and that was when it sprayed, probably from being startled.
After the air sort of cleared I got the cage out and released on a river bank. I dumped the trap and when stinky came out of it he was more worried about getting his balance while tumbling down the bank, than spraying me.
It's better if you cover the trap with something so they don't have to see you and get pissy.
>>
>>2331360
The trap themselves doesn't hurt the animals. Sometimes, especially with an animal as smart as a raccoon, they will figure out how to escape. Had a raccoon that would keep it's butt/tail in the way of the door so it couldn't close all the way. If the trap fails to catch them the first time, many animals aren't stupid enough or brave enough to try it twice. They can be a pain in the ass to set up, and the structure will scare many skittish animals off. You have to kind of disguise it and leave it.

I will say, if you plan on killing what you catch, a live trap is probably the most inhumane way to do it. Just shoot it or get a kill trap at that point instead of letting the animal stress out in a cage.

>>2331509
God damn skunks are cute.
>>
>>2331735

Chipmunks will chew off entire limbs to get off sticky traps. Blood all over the fucking trap. Extended suffering. The trap is their doom. The garbage their tomb.
>>
>>2331816

Alive in the trash
After it did thrash
Pest wanted to eat
But the trap got it beat
>>
>>2331848

Fur cemented
Mind demented
Feel tiny bones snap
Body ripped from the trap
>>
>>2331489
pretty sure killing racoons/oppossums/stray cats on your property is perfectly legal.

>>2331360
>possums
how do you have those and racoons in the same country?
>>
>>2332415
It's more a matter of enforcement. Who's gonna stop someone from trapping the occasional cat, drowning it, and throwing it in the garbage? Nobody except busy bodies and if you have your privacy then you're golden.
>>
>>2331360
It's usually illegal to relocate nuisance wildlife because they just die after being released. Just shoot them in the trap or something.
Raccoons can and will bend havahart trap doors to escape, so i'd suggest reinforcing it or buying a different brand.
>>
>>2332418
>who's going to stop them
nobody because it's perfectly legal. what's the problem?
>>
>>2332415
>how do you have those and racoons in the same country?
That's not unusual at all in North America
>>
>>2332415
Killing, yes. Torturing, no.
>>
>>2332415
>possums and raccoons

Opossums. When we talk about them in the US we usually drop the 'o'. It's why the Aussie ones are just called "possum"--they were named by people who had seen the American marsupial.
>>
>>2332444
possums are only in australia retard
>>
>>2332465

Har har har its an expert :-))
>>
>>2332472
what the fuck are you talking about? expert because I know an animal endemic to australia isn't in north america? Do you guys just call rats "possums" for no reason? stupid americans
>>
>>2332465
>>2332474
Please see >>2332463
No sense splitting hairs and getting all fucking pissy, if we have to be that exact on a Taiwanese finger painting forum then we need to start using scientific names anyway.
>>
>>2331360
We would use these to catch pests, then kill them quickly with a shot to the head. No reason to dump them off elsewhere, they're not endangered animals.
I did catch a little bunny once that tore its face up slamming against the side, we cleaned him up a bit and let him go in the garden.
>>
>>2332474

Opossums are marsupials and live in North America. We just leave the O off the front, like when you say Straya instead of Australia
>>
>>2332494
>>2332584
fucking lol you nerds just got ebin troleld
>>
>>2332760
Ooohhh nooo
That sux
>>
>>2332760

> I wasnt wrong guys, I was just trolling I swear. I was only pretending to be retarded
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.