[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greenpill me on EPA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

Are they really good for the environment? They obviously claim to be, but how can I know to trust them? Like just going by names PETA sounds like a good organization, but we know they're actually shady and crazy with some stuff. I feel like such a big government group like the EPA has to be up to something shady, but I don't want to be too hasty.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>2327539
>but how can I know to trust them?
Why do you need to trust the EPA, are you loaning them money?
Like most government agencies you should keep in mind they always have their best interests at heart, not yours.
>>
>>2327542
because I have a former friend whining about how drumpf is evil and hates the earth for being against the EPA. I want to know if they are right or just dumb.
>>
If you don't like toxic chemicals like benzene in your water you have the EPA to thank. They are in charge of preventing disasters like Love Canal ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Canal ) from happening again.
>>
environmental engineer here. EPA is why once widespread waterborne diseases like cholera and legionella and chemicals like benzene, radon, and arsenic aren't passing through the tap waters of the average american every day. there are some more lax regulations and enforcement in certain states but for the most part the EPA is why you can drink out of water fountains in big cities and not expect to have diarrhea after. look up the clean water act for more info
>>
>>2327580
also not to mention other things that could result in unproperly treated wastewater like dangerous toxins in your grass and food. you'd be surprised how much treated wastewater you drink, consume, or otherwise come in contact with.

and this is just water, i haven't even said anything about airborne chemicals or solid waste.
>>
They've done vastly more good than harm, it's not even a question. They're one of the primary reasons that major cities don't have to shut down on certain days anymore because breathing can kill you.
>>
>Like most government agencies you should keep in mind they always have their best interests at heart, not yours.

This pretty much sums it up nicely. It's generally not a good thing to have alphabet agencys dictating every possible action you can take.
>>
>>2327576
>arguing with liberals
Don't bother, they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
>>
>>2327597
>t. Scientifically illiterate conservatard
>>
>>2327539
EPA is one of those things that if you don't understand why you need it you should go without it for a while.

You could just look at history to see how businesses operated before EPA. Or you could go to third world countries to see how businesses still operate without EPA.

But libertarians are too stupid to learn from history and too poor to visit other countries, so perhaps it's best just to get rid of EPA for a while.

Then you can see what it does and demand to have it back.
>>
>>2327539
They can do good but are slow to act and have very shitty policies when it comes to endangered or extinct species. An example would be the axolotl, while not technically extinct, they can no longer be found in their natural habitats and are only in science labs and home aquariums. Breeding and shipping of axolotl is restricted as they're classified as endangered, if try were declared extinct the regulations would lift. For them to be declared extinct the Mexican government would have to do it.

They're also not doing anything against the bill that is trying to declare rodents, birds and fish as non-animals so that testing can be more harsh and inhumane.
>>
>>2327602
>t. easily offended, hyper sensitive libtard
>>
>>2327622
>thinking I give a shit what some Internet troglodyte thinks
Don't you have a sister you should be fucking, Jimbo?
>>
>>2327621
>the Mexican government would have to do it
something the EPA has no control over
>They're also not doing anything against the bill
something else the EPA has no control over
>>
>>2327626
>doesn't care what I think, while crying a river of salty liberal tears.
Not muh prezident, amirite?
>>
>>2327628
>things directly related to the epa
>lol not their problem :^)
>>
>>2327631
But they have no control over whether the salamander is declared extinct and whether or not that bill passes
Are you retarded?
>>
>>2327621
When did this happen? It's been a few years but last I heard they were only illegal to import/export from the U.S. and captive-bred specimens were still completely legal to buy and sell.
>>
>>2327621
Can you cite the law?

Are you sure you're not living in California and confusing California's adding axlotls to the restricted species list in order to prevent hypothetical hybridization with the California Tiger Salamander with an EPA restriction?
>>
http://www.axolotlfactory.com/ForSale.html

Axolotl are legal to buy and sell in every state except California and New Jersey
>>
so are we fucked from drumpf, or are there going to be enough regulations in place?
>>
>>2327580
>>2327582
>>2327620
These guys know what they're talking about. Purpose of the EPA, by law, is to prevent the sort of major industrial environmental fuckup that used to happen in the US prior to the 1970s. They're what keeps the US from looking like modern China, with its insta-cancer air and toxic rivers.

The majority of the recent complaints about the EPA are from the Obama administration's decision to count carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases as air pollution. It impacted the petrochemical and coal industries pretty hard, and oil and coal are heavy contributors to politicians in the states where they're based.

>>2327621
EPA has nothing to do with endangered species. That's the job of US Fish and Wildlife.

>>2327707
Trump's administration will probably need about a year to start changing regulations at the pace they want. It may or may not happen. Most of what they want to do will likely get tied up in lawsuits, which often take years to finish.

And so far his administration has seemed focused on other areas. It may take time for them to get around to things like the EPA, or they may do something next week. It's really a pointless guessing game to try to figure out what they'll do next.
>>
>>2327630
>he's so cucked by the crips vs blood political propaganda game that he can't even make rational decisions anymore
The EPA isn't a conservative vs liberal issue. It's an issue of whether you want to live in a country like china or not where the air can kill you. Since you're cucked by the fox news side of the brainwashing I'm sure you'll see it as a necessary budget cut, but then you should turn to the disgusting expansion of military spending and ask whether you'd rather have that or a nationwide flint michigan.

When will people realise that they can never be independent from the environment and that neglecting it effects our lives.
>>
>>2327542
>>2327591
What could the EPA possibly be trying to con people out of "for their own interests"?
>>
the only reason Trump wants to get rid of the EPA is to free large, polluting industries from regulations like having to dispose of their waste properly and spew controlled amounts of co2 and methane into the air. these measures cost them money which could plausibly end up in his pocket instead
>>
>>2327577
Course even the EPA turns rivers orange every now and then
>>
>>2327806
>so far his administration has seemed focused on other areas
I disagree. from the very getgo trump and his minions have been very ardent about giving a giant middle finger to any kind of environmental regulations

I wish all trump supporters would be executed, that would be such a sweet thing
>>
EPA is was created with the idea someone should piss in someone else's well, its gone too far in some areas and not far enough in others. To me, it is about finding the right balance between regulation and enterprise so that the the US can still push food into cleaner energies naturally, while not hurting the Env in the process. Too much will also just be an excuse to send more jerbs away to China, where they have little to no regulation. Sure they may be investing in clean energies, but that is cheap compared to passing actual regulation onto business.
>>
>>2328116
>I'll make my point and then tack on a jackass comment in order to piss off the opposition into giving me the middle finger!

Yes, they've been ardent about dismantling environmental regulation, but they haven't done anything about it yet aside from issuing a few internal memos. Once the executive actions and budget cut ideas start flying around (like what they've done on immigration) we'll see what they actually mean to do.

>>2328173
Donald, is that you? It sounds like you. Stop shitposting during lunch and pay attention during the afternoon meeting this time.
>>
>>2328189
>they haven't done anything about it yet aside from issuing a few internal memos

As much as I think politics should not be talked about here on /an/, that's not entirely true anymore. The administration has announced plans to drastically cut the EPA's staff and budget:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/03/01/white-house-proposes-cutting-epa-staff-by-one-fifth-eliminating-key-programs/

This is a preferred method to "eliminating" regulations, just prevent the enforcing agency from being able to enforce it. Consider the memo the administration gave to the IRS - the one to not collect ACA penalties. The ACA is nowhere near being repealed, but they can effectively render it moot by refusing to enforce it.
>>
>>2328189
>they've been ardent about dismantling environmental regulation, but they haven't done anything about it yet
announcing that you're going to gut an agency and then hiring someone to head up the gutting IS doing something.

the EPA in my town is now on an extended lunch break, getting paid to do nothing, because they know they're getting laid off. Work has stopped.

words are actions too.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.