[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I bought my dog from a back yard breeder. Sorry.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: Boba Zepp.jpg (51KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Boba Zepp.jpg
51KB, 960x720px
So I bought my dog from a back yard breeder.

Sorry.
>>
File: 1436697475785.jpg (24KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1436697475785.jpg
24KB, 512x384px
Unfortunately he became a viscous killing machine. Relentless in his attempt to destroy humanity.

You were right guys.
>>
Watch out for spine and hip issues as well as seizures. I'd recommend going ahead and getting him on some good joint supplements
>>
I hope that saving a few hundreds now is worth the thousands you'll be paying later.

Though really, no one really cares. BYB is still heaps better than puppy mills.
>>
>>2326728
Nah man. Give it a few years and he will be killing your wallet
>>
Is buying from BYB still bad if it's an oopsy litter? Got my Malamute/Husky/Shepherd mix for $50. Their bitch got out and fucked a GSD.
>>
>>2326806
Yeah it's still bad. You gave money to someone who doesn't care enough about their dog to get her spayed nor keep her properly contained. You also don't know anything about the fathers genetics so you're really buying blindly.

I actually bought my dog from a byb too. I'll admit it was kind of on a whim and before I got interested in animals, and understood that not all breeders are equal. I don't regret it, though. My dog is now 4 years old, never had a single health issue and happens to have a temperament that fits into my family perfectly
>>
>>2326806
Depends. There are three kinds of backyard breeders

>The ones who care about money
>The ignorant "omg my dog NEEDS to be a mother" types
>The genuine accident litter

You're always taking a gamble here. The money grabbers are most common. When I got a purebred dog, I had at least four people on facebook message me asking if I'd breed her with their dog if I split the money 50/50. My dog is blind in one eye due a birth defect but I still got a few hate comments when I posted that I got her spayed.

The morons that insist their dog will be depressed if it can't have babies are the most annoying. The "my dog is cute and will make cute babies" are just as bad. The parent dogs might be healthy but anyone that thinks like that probably doesn't have the brains to do health checks first.

The last is rare since accidents are easily avoidable. "Accidents" normally happen because the owners are too lazy to keep an eye on their dog/s. Unless the dog managed to bolt out the door or jump the fence, accidents just don't happen. Here you'd be taking a gamble since you likely aren't even going to know the breed of the father, let alone if it was healthy.
>>
>>2326806
I just consider it a scam in most cases. I've raised oops litters for shelters completely out of pocket. A litter of 13 only cost me about $15 a pup (soft food after weaning, puppy pads, toys), maybe $20-30 if we are counting for the extra care of mom after pregnancy, but I wouldn't add that to the cost of every puppy Because I didn't have 13 mother dogs. If you add distemper vaccines, I can buy them at tractor supply for about $10. Dewormer is about half that. It's when you get an actual visit from a vet when it starts to get pricey.

$50 is probably not too bad of a scam if they had distemper and we're dewormed. They may have still squirmed away with an extra $20-30 per dog. Usually I tell my friends to refuse to pay much for oops litters; if they were true oops litters they wouldn't be trying to make money off each puppy. Sometimes they walk away with a puppy, sometimes they are told to fuck themselves.
>>
>>2326819
This. I got my beagle from a shelter and suddenly people from all around started asking if I could breed my dog with theirs for 'pick of the litter', which is an insane rip off for dogs that won't be in dog shows or anything. It was mostly people wanting to breed their pugs to make puggles, Because they'd look so cute.

I don't have Facebook, but I was told people were calling me a doggy Hitler because I had the dog fixed at the shelter and didn't want to breed him for potential health problems. It's not that fucking hard to find a beagle with balls, don't know why they needed my dog so bad.
>>
>>2326727
>>2326728

You're a dumbass. It's not like all BYBs are terrible. But you're playing a very dangerous numbers game that you don't have to.

I'm not going to spend all morning typing, but I'll tell you about my dog. Great Pyrenees. BYB, adopted at 7 weeks. Nearly 2 years old now, perfectly fine except for a tendency to lick way too much.

The first year was an absolute nightmare and it is why I learned to never do BYBs. The behavior was atrocious. We couldn't even pet her without her trying to snap at our hands. Her way of exploring everything around her was to bite it. She wouldn't sit still on beds/couches without biting you. Chewed on everything from totes to kitchen cabinets. She spent her first 8 months trapped in the kitchen because she couldn't behave and wouldn't take redirection. Fucking terrible dog.

Then came her $4000 surgery for eating shit she shouldn't and getting it stuck in her stomach, then another $3000 a few months later because she did it again.

When you buy a BYB, you are taking a risk that is not necessary. You're being a cheap piece of shit and buying a Made-In-China product that you expect to last for 10 years. Do you EVER buy cheap knockoff shit and expect it to last 10 years? You understand you're going to be emotionally bonded after 2 years and potentially have it die or immobile 3-5 years earlier than a regular dog with a known family medical history. Why would you do that?

Why risk 10 years of bad health and behavior to save a few hundred dollars? That is borderline retardation.
>>
>>2326847
>>2326819
Wow, can't believe people were dumb enough to give y'all hate for that. I remember my neighbor used to byb daschhund. She always talked about how terrible the "bad" breeders were, considered herself a good one. Even after breeding two blind ones she insisted it was just nature's luck.

The lady had said the dog jumped the fence, and Huskies are escape artists, so I think it was genuine oopsy. Pup is over a half year now and seems to be doing well. Thought he had parvo when I got him but turns out he's just really relaxed despite his breeds.
>>
>>2326849
>spending $7000 on a dog
should've bought a gun and shot the dog instead
>>
>>2326849
>The first year was an absolute nightmare and it is why I learned to never do BYBs. The behavior was atrocious. We couldn't even pet her without her trying to snap at our hands. Her way of exploring everything around her was to bite it. She wouldn't sit still on beds/couches without biting you. Chewed on everything from totes to kitchen cabinets. She spent her first 8 months trapped in the kitchen because she couldn't behave and wouldn't take redirection. Fucking terrible dog.
>Then came her $4000 surgery for eating shit she shouldn't and getting it stuck in her stomach, then another $3000 a few months later because she did it again.

none of this shit has anything to do with BYBs, it has to do with you being a shitty owner who couldn't train their dog properly or watch it to make sure it didn't swallow shit

BYBs are a problem because they don't usually have the health of the dogs in mind. if your dog's eyeball suddenly popped out or its hip came out of its socket, that's an issue you could attribute to shitty breeding, not your lack of training causing behavioral issues
>>
>>2326806
I'm a little on the fence about it. Accidents do happen, but whether or not someone took any preventive measures to keep something from happening is irresponsible. Such as not spaying your dog and not having a proper fence, especially for husky breeds which is a must before even getting one. Again accidents happen, you cannot foresee everything. You might have thought you had a good fence, someone left it open, it dug out, someone left the door or window to your house open, etc. Most of us have been there and shit just happens sometimes. And when that does, what matters is whether or not you have fixed the problem.

Personally, I'd get the litter terminated especially if I did not have the time, space or money to not only be sure my bitch would be alright, but to make sure the puppies are healthy and vet checked, they are properly socialized for new, good homes.
Since most people wouldn't have puppy abortions then the above is the next best thing they can do. As well as spay and if it was a fencing issue, get that in check. I won't get into the 'you NEED to spay/neuter' but having had dropped 4k on an emergency spay instead of $80 when I should have done it earlier, I learned my lesson.
>>
>>2326727
>The morons that insist their dog will be depressed if it can't have babies are the most annoying. The "my dog is cute and will make cute babies" are just as bad. The parent dogs might be healthy but anyone that thinks like that probably doesn't have the brains to do health checks first.
My friend got her dog and before it was 3 months old she was insistent she was going to breed it because her brother told her that it's best for the bitch and allows her to develop 'mothering instincts'. My friend had no clue about genetic testing or even how to raise a litter of puppies, I don't know how she planned on even finding a person willing to breed their dog with her bitch - at least anyone with half a brain. I managed to convince her not to breed her dog but she's still unspayed because my friend apparently cannot afford it but where I live a spay is £100-150 as the vet I go to are super good with their prices and even offer payment plans for surgery and the like so it angers me even further.
>>
You have a beautiful dog, that's all that matters. :)
>>
>>2328364
Also agreeing with >>2326815
I've also been asked by two people who own the same breed as my ancient old girl to breed them with her males. Despite being spayed, she is way too old, slightly deaf, bad teeth alignment and has recently started growing tiny but benign warty tumors.
Aunt also bred her 'purebred long-haired apple teacup chihuahua' who is the smallest adult chi I had seen before she got fat. My aunt did spay her but was manic about allowing her to experience motherhood first. They found the smallest male they could find but she still ended up paying thousands of dollars for an emergency C-section because the puppies were too big and stuck. Vet tore her a new one. Later both her and her son have had multiple pallete surgeries because they'd have these weird, wheezing and rasping spazz attacks where they had difficulties breathing. They still do.

That said, rescues and mutts can be just as unhealthy or even worse than some BYBs for the same reasons. Unknown or unchecked lineages, bad genetics in general that may or may not be expected or preventable in a breed, etc. If you get a dog from a one time litter accident, I think it's OK as long as you're aware and prepared of what you might run into. Giving money to people who are just looking to make a quick buck, breed just because or buy from a puppy store then no. They may be cute but there's no shortage of dogs.
>>
>>2328380
I personally think that if you're going to get a genetic fuck up of a dog at least rescue one, eh? Tonnes and tonnes of rescue puppies are out there, people act as though they're impossible to find but it's all about patience and constant searching.

That said, I'd try not to judge someone based on their decisions because my parents rescued a older border collie and within a month of getting him he had been euthanised because of health conditions and we pretty much adopted him on a whim and paid the price for it. Still loved and spoiled that dude though, rip.
>>
>>2328385
True. I prefer to adopt and support that first but I don't have an issue with someone buying from a reputable breeder either. I never bought from a breeder since there's plenty to adopt and I don't like puppies but I've considered certain breeds from working lines to have them not only be a companion but to work.

I just threw that out there because there is a misconception on 'mutts are always healthier'. Sorry about the collie. My family has rescued for longer than I've been alive and thankfully we have never had one come to us already sick(underweight and in need of training yes) or have lost a dog under 11 years. I'm sure it'll happen to be eventually because I have a soft spot for seniors. The one I have now is about 14 I adopted 3 or 4 years ago and aside from some minor things and making sure she doesn't keep spraining her paw from launching off of things she's just as active as ever. I know with adopting seniors I'm not able to spend their full lives with them but I'd be crushed if I couldn't at least get a few years in.
>>
File: picasso-2.jpg (93KB, 807x960px) Image search: [Google]
picasso-2.jpg
93KB, 807x960px
>tfw fell for the BYB meme
>>
>>2326727
> Sorry about the collie.
No worries, it was so long ago, and the poor thing would have suffered regardless of if we adopted him or not so better that we did and give him a good final few weeks than sitting in a kennel. :)

We have an 11 year old rescue now who we got 6 years ago and she's incredible, I'm glad that the bad experience with the previous dog didn't put my parents off.

>My family has rescued for longer than I've been alive and thankfully we have never had one come to us already sick(underweight and in need of training yes) or have lost a dog under 11 years. I'm sure it'll happen to be eventually because I have a soft spot for seniors.
I have a soft spot of seniors too, it's great that your family adopt.

>The one I have now is about 14 I adopted 3 or 4 years ago and aside from some minor things and making sure she doesn't keep spraining her paw from launching off of things she's just as active as ever. I know with adopting seniors I'm not able to spend their full lives with them but I'd be crushed if I couldn't at least get a few years in.
She sounds great, I hope she keeps trucking for a while yet. And I know what you mean, seniors for sure deserve a lot more love!
>>
>>2326727
>>2326728
to me it's more about genetic health problems. just because the dog isn't aggressive doesn't mean it's healthy
>>
>>2328397
>eyes don't fit the sockets
fucking hell that's disgusting
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.