[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

input needed on dog breeds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: 12329995294_957d29f9db_o.jpg (651KB, 2400x1591px) Image search: [Google]
12329995294_957d29f9db_o.jpg
651KB, 2400x1591px
hi all,

so i have been deeply desiring a dog for probably over a year now. i understand that at my current stage in life (being a college student) getting a dog is just not a feasible idea. but i think about dogs every fucking day. i look at photos of them doing cute little things and i think long and hard about what breed to get once i'm capable of getting one.

for a really long time i wanted to get a corgi. intelligent, affectionate, adorable, the perfect size. but to get a well bred corgi would not only cost over 2 grand, there would be a waiting list of at least a year or two.

i started to shift my focus to goldens because they seem like the perfect dog but they're kind of gigantic. at least for me. i want a dog i can scoop up easily but not one that's like two lbs.

are there any dogs with the intelligence/temperament of a golden or corgi that's medium sized? i was considering a duck tolling retriever or a border collie but they both require far too much exercise and stimulation.

i really would like a dog that's affectionate, has the intelligence of something like a golden, has a high desire to please and is not over 50 lbs, with 50 being the maximum cut off.
>>
>>2326276
Australian shepherd non Merle
>>
>>2326277
>non merle

i didn't know aussies came non merle! they seem like wonderful companions. i just have two questions regarding them if you don't mind.

i hear the merle gene is indicative of health problems, is that correct? mainly stuff like blindness and hip dysplasia iirc

two are miniature aussies legit or are they either inbred or just a straight up lie?
>>
>>2326276
go to a shelter and adopt a mutt.

if you're worried about character/temperament, get to know the dog you're adopting first by spending some time with him (going on walks, maybe taking him home sometimes) over the span of a month.

please dont feed the breeding industry
>>
>>2326285
>please dont feed the breeding industry

don't worry i wouldn't be, because if i were to get a purebred i would go through a reputable breeder, hence the 1-2 year waiting list to get a corgi. i'm warming up to aussies but i'm a little concerned about potential health risks and it seems like they need a ton of exercise

i'm not going to lie a big part of me feels like i'd rather just bite the bullet and wait for a corgi
>>
>>2326276
Can you even afford one with all the potential vet costs? A sudden illness can get shockingly expensive.
>>
>>2326276
Tbh corgis and Golden's are vastly different with temperament and mental stimulation. I would advise volunteering at a dog shelter as a dog walker while you can't get a dog, so you can understand the different temperaments of dogs better while discovering which one is best suited for you.
>>
>>2326332
>Tbh corgis and Golden's are vastly different with temperament and mental stimulation.
Really? Not OP but I also thought they were pretty similar in those areas.
>>
File: IMG_0504.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0504.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2326280
Mini aussies are awful weak abominations. My dog doesn't even know what they are or recognize them. They aren't a legit breed IMO just a byb abomination created from breeding them with chihuahuas and pomeranians. Get a healthy legit breeder Aussie. They cost you for quality though, my family got theirs for 2 grand and she's really healthy and a great investment. Black tri color. Pic related. I give her a 30 minute jog every day and she just sleeps rest of the day, occasional bursts of energy but she's really like a golden retriever alternative. That's how I always describe her to others in regards to her behavior. Also I just don't find the Merle thing that great; it's a superficial special snowflake obsession a lot of people want in their dog but it does make them prone to blindness and other health issues.
>>
File: IMG_0542.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0542.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2326569
>>
>>2326290
I think you're missing the point. If you're going to take a dog into your home, and there's a dog sitting in a kill shelter that needs a home, it doesn't matter how reputable the breeder you use is, you're denying a dog a home for no reason.

I would suggest you volunteer at a shelter to take the edge off needing to be around dogs, and wait until you graduate and settle down to actually own one. I've seen far too many students hand in dogs, trust me. Also you'll learn a lot that way and be better informed to make a decision for yourself regarding what type of dog suits you!
>>
>>2326575
Reasons dont cease to exist just because you dont like them bud
>>
>>2326587
OP clearly just wants a dog, he's not taking it to fucking Westminster.
>>
>>2326605
Let me redirect you
>>2326587
>>
File: 1444626353122.png (28KB, 635x267px) Image search: [Google]
1444626353122.png
28KB, 635x267px
>>2326575
>I think you're missing the point. If you're going to take a dog into your home, and there's a dog sitting in a kill shelter that needs a home, it doesn't matter how reputable the breeder you use is, you're denying a dog a home for no reason.
>This is the same logic tumblr fatties use for why not fucking them is akin to racism.

I have four rescue dogs and one pure bred I purchased from a reputable breeder. I'll never adopt from a shelter again even though I love my previous four. Every shelter dog I adopted had kennel cough, fleas, and worms. Although I was adopting the dog, I had to pay a fee as well as cover the cost for their mandatory sterilization. Worse part was they would not use my personal vet but used their own so I was heavily over charged. Come time to get a new pup I will have no trouble contacting his breeder and having him help me find a suitable dam. He will also help the puppies find suitable homes much in the manner I got my pup. I believe it is better to get pups from a person who honestly cares about their dogs as opposed to a shelter more concerned about next weeks pup instead of the one in their cage.
>>
>>2326575
>muh adoption
Nah, dogs from a reputable breeder are always better, in every single way. It's like arguing that adoption is better than having your own kids, why would I choose to take on somebody else's mistake?
>>
>>2326569
Got a mini Aussie awhile ago, red Merle male. Perfect for me since I'm still in school like the OP. Mines a lot more active than yours though, he's calm inside but he kills me on runs. It's nice having something to compete with.
I wouldn't go with a smaller dog though, toys are abominations with many health issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146KB, 1920x1080px
>>2326276

Get a wolverine. Top out at 50#. Straight best dog right there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMOo6ti2jrs
>>
>>2326276
Shetland Sheepdog. High energy though so he needs a lot of walks. They're beautiful dogs and will lead to you being approached a lot. They literally open the flood gates of pussy. They're intelligent, easy to train, and stay around 25-40 lbs.
>>
File: pixel.jpg (12KB, 206x276px) Image search: [Google]
pixel.jpg
12KB, 206x276px
>>2329054

You forgot to mention high energy, require loads of mental stimulation and bark the house down. If OP has ruled out an aussie for being too high energy, then a sheltie is about on par I'd argue.

Oh, and they tend to be weary of strangers, so not exactly the magnet you want him to be. Get a rough collie if you want a girl-magnet.

They are however one of the most awesome breeds going, and I wouldn't blame OP for wanting one.
>>
>>2329074
>High energy though so he needs a lot of walks.
>You forgot to mention high energy
Can't make this shit up.

Yea they are barking fiends but it's something they can be trained out of. I missed the post where he ruled out an aussie, otherwise I would have told him not to bother with a "dog" and instead get some toy shitter he can carry in his purse. Shelties > Collies for girls. They're smaller and therefore automatically cuter.
>>
File: raincoats.jpg (97KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
raincoats.jpg
97KB, 720x960px
>>2329093

But collies are automatically friendlier.

From experience, I have one of each, and out of the two the rough collie attracts far more attention as the sheltie isn't keen on other people. He'll say hi, but he won't sit there like a complete idiot and just lap up praise like the rough will.
>>
File: Nickalous_Von_Ridiculous.jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Nickalous_Von_Ridiculous.jpg
101KB, 640x480px
>>2329109
From what I've read Collies and Shelties are both a little timid of strangers initially. My Sheltie loves human attention, and often walks up to strangers for belly rubs when we are out and about. The way your dog behaves =/= the entire breed though. Id say your Collies, much like my Sheltie, were socialized out of that apprehension. Then again all dogs are different, even pure breds.
>>
I got a rescued Chihuahua. She doesn't bark and she sits on my shoulder while I work. She doesn't piss in the flat and she can wait for over 5 hours before going to the toilet.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.