[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite dog breed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 26

File: download.jpg (34KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
34KB, 645x380px
I think my favorite are Samoyeds. What about you, /an/?
>>
>>2325940
>>2325940
Bernese Mountain Dog probably.haf German Shepards my entire life... Never again lol. I'll have a bernese some day but the first dog I buy will be a small one. Not sure what breed yet I change my mind everyday
>>
I have good experiences with Samoyeds, great Pyrenees dogs, American Eskimos, Norwegian elkhounds, etc. Spitz types have been pretty awesome so far excluding huskies and shibas. Even the malamutes I've known have been lovely.
Great Danes and rotties too.

My fav was a GP that was just walking around an overcrowded, unairconditioned DMV in the middle of August full of screaming children. He chilled by me for pets every hour or so out of the five hours I had been there but he mostly would go to the screaming kids. He quieted them down. That dog was a blessing.
>>
>>2325940
Aesthetically, I like akita inus, malamutes, and whatever mutts look nice.
Temperament wise, I like whatever mutts act nice, but I really love lab mixes. The only purebred i'd ever actually purchase would be a keeshond.
>>
bulldogs
>>
File: funnypoodleeating.jpg (53KB, 968x625px) Image search: [Google]
funnypoodleeating.jpg
53KB, 968x625px
Teddy Bear Poodle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ4Pva6-LSA
>>
>>2325940
Shibas a cute, fuck memes

Samoyeds and poms are also cute
>>
My favorites are all spitzes except pic related and the Shar Pei. I'm usually not one for wrinkly dogs but we've got one and she's the best dog I've ever had, so I'm smitten.
>>
File: P2260001cs.jpg (275KB, 1000x1386px) Image search: [Google]
P2260001cs.jpg
275KB, 1000x1386px
German Shepherds. Can't imagine living without one, these days.
>>
File: _20170228_210936.jpg (233KB, 1183x1606px) Image search: [Google]
_20170228_210936.jpg
233KB, 1183x1606px
Briard. A dog you can't be mad at for more than a minute.
>>
>>2326435
Truly the most based of breeds desu
>>
Standard Poodles.
Athletic, beautiful, goofy, affectionate, and smart as hell.
Plus no shedding and tons of cool haircuts.
>>
File: tumblr_mkh8uikVHj1qjcdw9o1_500.jpg (136KB, 500x676px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mkh8uikVHj1qjcdw9o1_500.jpg
136KB, 500x676px
Bulldogs and Golden Retrievers
>>
File: 1469602195189.jpg (36KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
1469602195189.jpg
36KB, 500x460px
i LOVE these perfect puppers !!!
>>
File: Group_sm.jpg (307KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Group_sm.jpg
307KB, 1024x683px
Australian shepherds and goldens. Funny enough aussie x golden mixes tend to look beautiful, even though I dont support intentional mixing of breeds just to make qt pups
>>
>>2327570
JUST
>>
File: 2016-02-13 13.01.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-13 13.01.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
English Shepherds, also Border Collies and Australian Shepherds. Love their temperaments, plus in my opinion they are the cutest dogs.

Pic: my English Shepherd (black and tan) with my brother in law's Aussie Shepherd mix
>>
>>2327695
I definitely think Oz shephards are the nicest looking dogs
>>
File: WP_20170303_12_48_16_Rich.jpg (3MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170303_12_48_16_Rich.jpg
3MB, 4208x2368px
Teacup Chihuahua. Strong, fierce, intelligent, long living and loyal as hell.
>>
File: 339524[1].jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
339524[1].jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are based af.
>>
File: download (6).jpg (86KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download (6).jpg
86KB, 645x380px
Ended up with a novel, whoops.
Had three growing up, but have known about 8. The only one that was the least bit aggressive was our oldest, who was already old by the time I was born. I remember she nipped me for bothering her when she was eating and was food aggressive but I just learned not to bother her around food. Can't remember if my parents bought her as a puppy or adopted her. Still loved her even though she was too old to walk far and didn't play but I'd sleep next to her, talk to her and brush her for hours because I was worried she was sad that she couldn't go on long walks or play with the other dogs.

The other two were great. One was still the absolute sweetest dog I ever met. She was found by a family friend emaciated on the highway. She was so dirty they didn't even know she was a dal, just a brown mutt. I was about 6 or 7 but I still remember bringing her home. Was a little shy and afraid of men for a little bit but she ended up really shining. She so patiently put up with us kids, other kids, crazy kitten jumping all over her, etc. Great with other dogs too. She's match them. If they wanted to play and run, she would too. If the other dogs were shy, indifferent or uncomfortable after the initial sniffs she would just stand or sit patiently to leave the other dog alone or just let it check her out. Once while walking a neighbor's aggressive shepherd mix that had attacked me walking to or from the bus stop a few times hopped the fence and went for us and she got between us. No blood, but she pinned him so my brother and I were able to keep him down until the owner came running to collect his dog. While we were sitting on top of this snarling dog she just sat down calmly waiting to continue our walk.
Despite being only a year or so when we got her she wasn't too hyper. She would let loose in the park, our yard but had perfect recall. We would hike and get lost for hours in our vast state park with her off leash. Cont.
>>
File: Justus_Sustermans_038.jpg (103KB, 322x512px) Image search: [Google]
Justus_Sustermans_038.jpg
103KB, 322x512px
>>2328344
Which was great since my little sister and I got seriously lost once by taking a trail we never took before and couldn't find a recognizable landmark or trail in time before it was pitch black out. This was before everyone had cellphones and we did have a radio but we were out of range. She lead us to a sheepdog that then lead us to a couple who helped us out.

The downside of this breed is pretty huge and costly unfortunately. We only fostered the third dal so we didn't have him long but both of our unrelated ones ended up the same way. Hip and joint issues, cataracts, partially deaf in older years, at first benign 'fatty tumors' as the vet called them, then cancer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Our first and oldest was put down at 15, the other at a supposedly 14(the rescue the vet guessed to be 1-2 years old) a few years apart. I wanted to have them euthanized earlier due to their crippling hip dysplasia but my younger siblings caught wind of their time was coming up and would scream and cry about it so my parents kept putting it off even though I'd have to carry them up and down the porch just so they could go outside. They were on meds and the older one had a little surgery on her paw in her earlier years but at their ages the kindest thing would have been to put them down. I was 13 or so when we only had our second dal left and we also had a 2-3 year old beagle mix at that point. My little brother was at school and if he wasn't around, she was asleep in the kitchen. She wasn't there so I went outside while it was pouring cold rain and found that she must have been let outside and had slipped in a puddle and couldn't get up. Broke my heart to see her ears perk up, tail wagging, shivering and struggling to stand back up but she couldn't. Mentally she was still full of life but her body was in pain and couldn't keep up so after carrying her in and getting her dry that I drilled hard into my parents that we had to let her go.
>>
>>2328348
Health problems aside, they weren't terribly smart but not too goofy and retarded. Our foster male was more inquisitive and a complete beast at catching mice we would get in the yard and house when the marsh behind our yard would flood. He was also fantastic at catching rabbits, squirrels, raccoons, groundhogs, opossums, etc if we did not keep an eye on him. The dogs would be let out twice throughout the night and because of his hunts we would have to check the yard first if we didn't want to wake up to a 15lbs groundhog dead on our steps. Supervised, he was polite and indifferent to our cat and any small animals. He never killed or went after a cat, but we didn't want to risk it. He was adopted to an outdoorsy traveling couple with no kids or other animals.

If you think long haired dogs and cats shed bad then you've never been around a dalmatian. They shed constantly. Even with brushing it never stopped. Every stroke of a hand had fur. I have no idea how they could shed so much and not have bald spots. Their short, coarse fur will stick and stab into anything for years to come, including your skin and it fucking hurts when you step on a single hair at just the right angle it goes through your skin.

They get a bad rep for being too hyper and aggressive but aside from our first one, haven't seen it in the others I've known but the other owners I met were those kind of owners that are very passionate and stick to one certain breed. It's probably been almost 10 years since I last saw one in person though. I'd love another but torn between adopting again or going for a reputable breeder that would hopefully lessen the health issues. Granted they didn't start to go to shit until 12 years old or so, which isnt a terrible age for a breed their size and maybe not so bad for unknown lineage.

>tl;dr beautiful breed, kinda dim and horrific health problems that you will be shelling out money for
>>
File: download.jpg (96KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
96KB, 645x380px
Chesapeake Bay Retriever

"Like a lab, but for MEN" â„¢
>>
File: Ruca5.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Ruca5.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>2328354
>>2328348
>>2328344
Damn I thought I rambled on.
Good taste, I agree with almost everything in your post.
>>
I have a soft spot for Border Collies. They're so friendly and loyal
>>
>>2329041
I find border collies generally seem too intense and aloof with people who aren't their owner. Border collie mixes are based though.
>>
File: 00e9384bc955aee76d2f768af941815b.jpg (111KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
00e9384bc955aee76d2f768af941815b.jpg
111KB, 1280x850px
i lof them
>>
>>2329053
>I find border collies generally seem too intense and aloof with people who aren't their owner
That's honestly one of the things about them that endears me to them
>>
File: maxresdefault-2.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-2.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>2325940
Irish wolf hound. The greatest of all dog breeds
>>
>>2329247
>3 year lifespan
Nope.
>>
>>2329560
3?? I thought it was like 6 (which is still bad, don't get me wrong, but damn...)
>>
>>2327713
I love my English Shepherd but he's a crazy, nonstop ball of energy. He literally does not walk, he runs everywhere he goes
Can't wait for him to not be a puppy anymore
>>
>>2329573
Someday you'll eat those words, anon! I really miss her puppy stage, she was so cute. (Of course, she's still super cute and I love her and enjoy her maturity as well!)
>>
File: FB_IMG_1482276401597.jpg (33KB, 720x615px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1482276401597.jpg
33KB, 720x615px
>>2329247
My friend had a Glenn of immal, essentially to wolfhounds what iggys are to greyhounds. It got killed by a car going about 10 miles an hour. Compare that to a mongrel terrier I had who got hit about 5 times, one of which where she literally stood up again and casually walked away
>>
any dog thats not an abomination is my fav. so mainly large intelligent dogs that weren't bred for hunting.

kelpies are probs my fav, i currently have a kelpie cross border collie
>>
>>2329696
Please post pics, that sounds like a really cute mix.
>>
>>2329560
>>2329565
What the fuck why would anyone get one of these dogs
>>
File: IMG_3150.jpg (121KB, 750x887px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3150.jpg
121KB, 750x887px
>>2329560
>>2329565
I mean, an average of 8 years still sucks but it's considerably better than 3...
>>
>>2328356
I love their color and coats. Not to big on their head shape though
I perfer the look of labs because they have a more boxxy skull.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1488929102226.jpg (13KB, 480x347px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1488929102226.jpg
13KB, 480x347px
I've always preferred mutts. I've only had one pedigree and it ended terribly. I've learned to distrust breeders and would rather have a healthy animal.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 460x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 460x325px
I had a Newfie growing up and plan to get one again if I ever start a family.
>>
>>2326083
Best dogs I've ever had temperament wise were spaniels, labs, or goldens.
>>
>>2329247
One of my favorites, uncle had one many years ago. Scariest god damn animal coming out of a foggy corn field.
>>
File: 90[1].jpg (85KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
90[1].jpg
85KB, 645x380px
I want a big fluffy friendly pal.
>>
What is a good breed for an adult who never had a dog in his life?
>>
File: schnauzer.jpg (122KB, 619x464px) Image search: [Google]
schnauzer.jpg
122KB, 619x464px
Giant Schnauzer, of course.
>>
Out of all the dogs I've been around a lot, I like Akitas and Pyrenees the best

Akitas are unflinchingly loyal, smart, headstrong, fluffy, and tend to show very good judgement about who to trust or not.

Pyrs are sweet, goofy, majestic, silly floofs that love to cuddle and chase squirrels.

Out of dogs I haven't really interacted with, Samoyeds are pretty adorable, and I think I'd really like to get a Bernese Mountain dog next. From what I've read they seem a lot like Pyrenees, but with less barky and a little shyer which matches with my lifestyle a bit more. They seem like they'd be good companion dogs that'd be good to go adventuring with.

I'd be more than happy rescuing a Pyr though, since there seem to be a lot of those in rescues.
>>
>>2332953
What's your living and work situation?

Kids? Spouse? Yard? Apartment? Business trips? 14 hour days? Climate?
>>
>>2330831
Enjoy your pit bulls then.
>>
Who /shibe/ here?
>>
>>2329137
good doggo
>>
File: Flat-Coated-Retriever-3-1.jpg (84KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Flat-Coated-Retriever-3-1.jpg
84KB, 400x300px
>>2325940
Flat coated retriever.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.