[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My pup has parvo.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3166.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3166.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Hi /an/.
Pic Related is my pupper Sammy. He's about 2 years old, and he's a Boxer-Pit mix. (pic related was taken months ago)
Today my family and I took Sammy to the vet because he was experiencing constipation, loss of appetite, weakness, pain in his abdomen, and he wouldn't drink any water.
He would however eat steak, porkchops, and chicken; human food.
One of my family members has been giving him gatorade with a syringe-turkey baster deal so he's been being hydrated.
Apparently last Friday was the last time he has pooped, and it was bloody/messy from what I was told.
It's been a couple of hours since we dropped him off at the vet, they've done X-Rays and all the tests and apparently he has Parvo.
I believe they're moving him to an /an/imal hospital to have him treated with IVs and the like.
They said we'd know the result in 48 hours.
We're not 100% on where he contracted it from, but we think he got it from the cat.
I've read around and some places say that it can originate from cats.
About 1-2 weeks ago he had been getting into our new cat's litter box, and eating cat litter. Some of you may remember the thread I made concerning my hyperactive cat messing around with wires and crap under my desk. (The cat's name was Pickles but has since been renamed to Toki)
There are also stray cats that hang around the backyard of our house. (we have a pretty decent sized yard, 3 trailer houses in total are on our property.)
Sammy had dug a pretty deep hole in the front yard to, we've also put this on the list of possible contractions.
The cat and the dog eat and drink after each other, which will be put to a stop if Sammy makes it through this.
He seemed to be recovering over the past day or so. He drank some from his water bowl.
Sometimes there's a pack of stray dogs that come here in the winter, but they haven't been here since October
I come to /an/ to ask what I should do, what I should expect, and what you think he contracted it from.
>>
was your dog fully vaccinated or no
>>
>>2325912
Yes he was.
>>
>>2325908
Sorry to bump without any expectations or legitimate info. I just wanna say I'm really sorry that you're going through this and I hope your cute dog can make a full recovery.
>>
>>2325932
Thanks. I appreciate it.
>>
Sorry OP, that really sucks. The best you can do is follow the vet's instructions. Unfortunately, since his vaccination didn't take, the parvo virus can live in soil for a really long time, so it was only a matter of time before he came down with it. I'd suspect the stray dogs for potentially bringing the virus onto your property. Good luck.
>>
>>2325908

parvo sucks ass. so far you're doing everything right, it's in the hands of the vets and luck now. parvo can typically take 1-3ish days of treatment before it subsides, so expect some big bills from the vet. I've seen it take over week before as well, just generally 1-3 days.

Being 2 years old he stands a good chance, but parvo can be deadly so I don't want to give you any false hope either. Strange for an older dog to contract it as well, extra strange since he is vaccinated. maybe its been too long and his last shot expired?

Also, cats don't carry parvo, so it's not the cat. It is almost definitely from the strays. Parvo lives FOREVER in soil, and can survive some pretty harsh conditions, so the strays most likely drug it in at some point and its been sitting ever since. I guess technically your cat could have gotten some contaminated poop on himself and carried it in that way.
>>
The dog was up to date on his shots, including for parvo, and still contracted it? That does suck OP.
Hopefully he recovers. Parvo can be a deadly disease, but that doesn't mean your little guy won't survive. I had a twelve week old puppy contract the virus, and that dog had the disease for three weeks. The dog looked like a skeleton, and everybody thought it would die. Keep in mind this was twenty years ago as well.
She passed away from natural causes at thirteen years of age.
>>
>>2325908
Was ready to shit on you because I thought you were going to be one of those "boo hoo i didn't vaccinate my animal and now it's dying, how could this happen"
Shit sucks OP. Best of luck.
>>
File: IMG_3163.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3163.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>2325954
>>2325950
Yeah. It seems like if it was the stray dogs he would have caught it sooner because they've been coming around for about 3 years for no more than a week or so. We considered calling animal control to come after them since they could be a danger to Sammy but we never went through with it.
I'm not really the one in control of Sammy either, my father figure is the one who mainly deals with him, and he usually lets him roam around our yard freely. There is a history of Parvo on our property, but one of the people who lives on our property also has 2 dogs that roam around our yard too. She'll be contacted soon to let her know to keep an eye on her dogs.
Anyway, I've been told that the last case of Parvo in our yard was about 6-17 years ago, and I've read that normally it only stays in the ground for 6 months to 2 years.
The father figure I mentioned previously said he had bleached our yard since that.
I believe he has plans to bleach it again soon.
We're also in the process of getting everything cleaned and set up for when(if) he comes home.
>>
It sounds like you/your family were attentive and you did the best thing by getting him to the vet. Good job OP. Sorry to hear about this shitty coincidence with the vaccines. I'm fucking anal about getting my dog vaccinated for everything relevant (our location means he needs a few more than most dogs) and I'd be beside myself if he caught something he was already vaccinated for.

For the record, if one of your animals becomes sick and dehydrated, dilute the gatorade by half with water because it's really sugary. Unflavored pedialyte is the best choice but your family did the best with what they had, so again good job. And good luck.
>>
Good luck. Never had a dog with parvo but my three dogs are vaccinated for Lyme disease and we spend a shit ton of money on 'high end' flea&tick medicine but two of them still got lyme disease. Thankfully it's not bad and only one of them needs medication but it's still a pain when we spent all this money trying to prevent it.
>>
>>2325908
Cats don't contract the parvovirus that makes dogs sick, but I guess they can carry it indoors just like anything else outside can carry shit inside. There's a strain of parvovirus for cats but it can't live inside dogs and vice versa. But anyone can bring the virus inside or in contact with the dog.
>>
File: IMG_3258.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3258.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2326044
Our reasoning is that he somehow contracted it from eating cat feces from the cat's litterbox. There's nothing else that really points us in the direction of how he got it in a big way other than that.
The cat hasn't been outside since I got him, which was like 5 weeks ago
>>
File: IMG_3136.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3136.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Update:
Sammy gets to come home today!
We've cleaned pretty much everything, bleaching the yard atm, we're also bleaching his favorite toys and throwing away the rest
I'm still scared he might catch it again in the future on the account of my cat
>>
>>2327015
It is SEVERELY unlikely that the cat gave your dog parvo, especially if it's an inside cat. It's more likely that he caught it while digging. Continue bleaching the yard and watch him to make sure he doesn't dig
>>
>>2326052
I'm sorry to say, that's probably not the source. Even if your cat did carry it, it would not carry it in the feces; the virus can't live in a cat and would be dead if if it were in the feces. Your dog can get it very easily from walking outside even. But you probably would not have to worry about the cat if it's mainly an indoor cat. Definitely wouldn't have to worry about the parvo being in it's saliva or poop.

It's more likely your dog just contracted parvo outside. Parvo can live in the ground for months before dying off. If I were you I'd be much more concerned about the yard.
>>
File: IMG_3315.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3315.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
>>2327051
>>2327039
Pupdate:
Sammy is home acting like himself and all that good stuff, eating and drinking.
He has a patch of shaved fur on his leg where I assume they put the IV and all that in him, doesn't look too bad.
He's for sure lost a little bit of weight, but he's happy and excited to be home.
I'll keep in mind what you guys said and try to keep him away from where we were taking him out to use the bathroom.
I'll also try to make sure he isn't digging holes.
This'll most likely be the last time I'll be updating/bumping this thread, unless the need arises.
Till then have some cute pictures I took.
>>
File: IMG_3311.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3311.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2327137
>>
>>2327137
good luck, OP. he isn't totally out of the woods yet I'm assuming, so be quite gentle with him.

it's likely he'll have built up an immunity after living through it, but first he's gotta live all the way through it. right now his immune system is probably pretty weak but after he fully recovers you should be safe.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.