[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /an/ feel about zoos?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: images.jpg (11KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 275x183px
How does /an/ feel about zoos?
>>
>>2325779
I like them. You can check out animals to the extreme.
>>
Depends on the zoo. Roadside zoos are bad. Decent zoos are not so bad on animal care. They can be owned by corrupted Jews, but it doesn't always affect the welfare of the animals
>>
>>2325779
good zoos are cool. I wish those "muh freedom" hippies would shut up. captivity is necessary for some of these endangered animals, and it's not like spending all the day trying t not starve and not get eaten is more enjoyable than being able to sit lazily all day.
>>
>>2325823
One of the saving grace of roadside zoos is you can slip someone a fifty and get personal with any creature they have.
>>
>>2325779
Too many kids. They should in all seriousness set a minimum age requirement. Hate having to navigate through a gauntlet of strollers the size of BMWs just to get to the next animal. It's not like the 2 year old is going to remember anything he's seeing, let alone is even aware of what is going on in the present anyway.
>>
>>2325779
Screaming kids everywhere and always too crowded but I went to a really cool zoo in Costa Rica that had a lot of neat exhibits and almost no people there. There was even an area where the zookeepers would let monkeys climb on you.
>>
Back in December (yes December it wasn't that bad a day, weather wise) went to the NC Zoo. They got lots of space there.
>>
Once a year the zoo here has a free admittance day if you go with an old person. I've done that the last few years by going with my dad but the thrill is gone now. It's just the same animals standing in the same pens year after year. It's not even sad, I just feel nothing anymore. I wish they would buy some new animals.
>>
>>2325894
Maybe your soul is shriveling year after year.
>>
I think they're an important educational tool for kids. I feel like a lot of the idiot adults I know that get a stroke when they see a small snake, or believe that any wild animal wants to attack them on site, would be a more chill about it if they educated and socialized with animals as kids.
>>
>>2325779
Animal jail
>>
File: 4e2f33603530c.image.jpg (55KB, 425x412px) Image search: [Google]
4e2f33603530c.image.jpg
55KB, 425x412px
Zoos that focus on conservation and education are very good.I have a good opinion on zoos because I live in Columbus and the Columbus Zoo has done wonders.
>>
>>2326623
>based Jack Hanna
I remember him doing live presentations when I was in elementary school.
>>
>>2326623
His segments on Letterman were the best
>>
File: 1426562507277.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1426562507277.gif
2MB, 250x250px
>>2325779
I think they're unnecessary.
>>
There is terrible zoos out there. But there is always going to be a terrible version of anything somewhere. Good zoos are very important for conservation. My local zoo has singlehandedly bred a herd of antelope that were recently released into their native habitat to bolster the wild population.
>>
>>2327062
*there are terrible zoos. Way to english, self.
>>
>>2325779
They're great when they're done right, and tragic when they're done wrong.
>>
The public need to be removed from zoos and they need to convert to dedicated wildlife recovery centers. Zoos used to be important to get people interested in conservation and get them to appreciatr nature, but now we have the internet and years of wildlife content for anyone willing to look for it. We don't need to keep tigers in prison where nigs can throw chicken nuggets at them for people to see them anymore.
>>
>>2325842
>get personal
Anon, animals are not for fucking.
>>
>>2327122
I agree with this. Seeing a new animal in a zoo is cool but for 99.99% of people they'll ooh and ahh at it then go home and never think about it again. If they don't follow up and become interested the animal is just going to waste there being imprisoned.
>>
>>2327122
>>2327161
The problem with zoos not being a prison circus though is that there would be no source of income.
>>
>>2327161
you have zero idea of how conservation zoos work
>>
>>2327175
elaborate
>>
>>2326623
How do you tell which are the good ones?
>>
>>2327222
Usually if they are accredited by the AZA then they are at least good if not great.
If it is not accredited then they are probably shitty to the animals in some way or another and dont really do much for conservation
>>
>>2327191
Most good zoos are all linked by breeding programs. If they have animals that are critically endangered or extinct in the wild then they go to serious effort to breed up what they have with the least possible amount of inbreeding. Then, if conditions where the animal is from are good for a release program, they start one. It's how a lot of the success stories of conservation, like California Condors (and I guess pandas now) have come about.
>>
>>2327348
captive pandas are all part of the "china diplomacy" thing which is a huge shitshow. Pandas in a zoo environment lack any survival stimulus, since they are really daft. So they just become natures NEET animals. They should just be let go peacefully, or bioengineer them and start feeding them a more mixed diet

Shirokuma Cafe isn't an anime, its a documentary.
>>
>>2325779
I think the ones that focus on conservation and education are good. My local zoo (the one in that picture actually, the Oregon Zoo) is renowned for its elephant breeding program, in fact.
>>
>>2327371
'sup neighbor. I wish our zoo had anteaters.
>>
>>2327401
Ask them to pick some up next time they're out.
>>
cruelty juncture

CRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURECRUELTY JUNCTURE

Cruel culture
>>
>>2325894
I would actually like this. It would allow me to observe the same animals repeatedly and if I stayed long enough, their behavior. How their behavior changes over time with different social dynamics, assuming they are breeding/introducing any new members, how they act in different weather/seasons, if their rank status appears to change over time, etc.
I would like consistent animals to study, a lot.
>>
>>2325842
That seems pretty dangerous anon. What animals are you talking about? Because I'm not picturing anything sane.
>>
>>2327369
All the pandas in zoos outside of China are on temporary loan. China eventually takes them back and puts them into a breeding and release program. That program is one of the shockingly few environmental things where the Chinese have had any success. Wild panda numbers have recently started going up.

They're still in serious trouble, but they've actually got some hope now.
>>
>>2327548
> That program is one of the shockingly few environmental things where the Chinese have had any success.
And considering they even loan the cubs BORN in other zoos it isn't too hard to know why.
>>
>>2327431
Data collected once a year wouldn't be very useful. Just ask to volunteer at the zoo. I know someone who does that and its her job to literally stand there and stare at the animals and record what they do. I think she does it once a week, but you could probably do it whenever.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.