[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dog is getting very old. I expect her to die in 0-4 years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

My dog is getting very old. I expect her to die in 0-4 years from now. I will have a doctor put her down when the time comes.

I have decided to bury her myself. I have looked up remote spot in the woods to do it. I have check that the grave should not be disrupted in next 15 years or more. There is no danger of common water getting infected because of the corpse.

I have a good shovel to do it and i know where to get few big stones to cover the corpse.

Has anyone here buried their own dog?

How deep should i bury her?

What is the white stuff they spread over dead humans when they made mass graves and why do they do it?
>>
Also how did the first shovels of dirt go? How did you handle the emotional stress?
>>
That white stuff is lime. You can get a sack at a hardware store, it cuts down on smell and speeds decay a bit. Serial killers sometimes use it on bodies they leave around.
>>
It's a pain in the ass digging in the forest. I just ended up making a pyre. Didn't work out so good.
>>
>>2324019
i know its a pain but i have dug fox holes in same kind of forest in military so i know its possible but takes 3-8 hours
>>
Why not just cremation
>>
>>2324023
i think i feel better taking her all the way to earth

Shes done so much for us humans that i think i should give her proper burial.

also i will have a place to go to remember her

To sum it, i think i will feel better in long run
>>
File: Xmas 19.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Xmas 19.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>2324014
>has anyone buried their own dog
Yes. A 60lb. Dalmatian.
>how deep should I bury her?
Below the frost line, about 4'. Typically nothing is going to dig her back up at that depth.
I buried my dog in my back yard, next to a shade tree she liked to lay under. It's much easier digging through a yard than what it will be in a root and rock infested woods, but I understand that is not an option for everyone.
After a year or so I poured a small square of concrete and fastened an antique fire hydrant, put some decorative stone in the concrete with an inscription, and planted flowers. I still miss that dog and digging that hole with tears in my eyes is something I'll never forget.
When it comes time for Ruca I've got a spot picked out where she likes to lay in the sun while keeping an eye on us, and I'll probably plant burning bush as well.
>>
>>2324043
Now you learned your lesson. Dalmations have so many fucking health issues.
>>
>>2324043
I think backyard burials are very nice and personal, but what bothers me is what happens if you move away? Will you dig them up again and take the remains with you or just leave them behind and let the new owners do god knows what? I couldn't handle digging mine up again. I like OP's idea of the forest where the remains will not be disturbed, but it would be a pain to go pay respects if it's very remote.
>>
File: Rca09.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Rca09.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>2324051
Fuck off troll.
>>2324053
It's not ideal for every situation, it's highly unlikely I'll need to move. Otherwise I probably would have done cremation.
Also, you may not be paying respects as often as you think when you get older. It's not that you forget about your beloved pet, it's just different I guess with time.
>>
>>2324053
Just make sure it's deep enough. I'm talking about at least 4-6ft deep.
>>
I've had two medium-sized dogs that were buried on property owned by my family. I don't remember details about the first burial anymore, but the second one happened a little more recently.

With the second dog, my family had gone to the vet to deal with a sudden health issue and we were hoping it could be treated, but we ended up returning with a dead dog. We dug the grave and buried the dog immediately after the vet visit. Rigor mortis didn't have time to stiffen the muscles, the dog was still limp when it was buried. The emotionally hardest part was carrying the dead body from the vet to the car, and later from the car to the grave. The dog was wrapped inside a blanket but when I tried to carry it, the limpness of the body felt so wrong. It was distressing and I couldn't carry the dog after all, my dad had to do it instead.

The dog was buried in the countryside right next to a forest. There are frequently rabbits, foxes, deer and other animals walking in the yard. The grave was less than half a meter deep and I used to worry the dog might be dug up by some wild animals, but that never happened. There are some stones and a little flowerbed on top of the grave. Two bushes that were growing nearby have since then grown in size and pretty much covered the grave, though.
>>
>>2324174
>>2324043
thank you for your posts!

a friend of mine has promised to drive me on the day. I dont think i would be fit on emotional scale to drive on the day.

I live in Finland so we get very deep frost during winter but i know how to go past it so i think i can do it any time of year.

Also i think i would be so motivated that i would dick many days just to get the job done.

I dont think i will fear the body of the dog. Emotional stress is what i am scared of. but i think this is the only way i can do it.
>>
i had to dig a grave for my dog in the winter. had to use mattock, took 2 days. was miserable work.
>>
>>2324014
>Has anyone here buried their own dog?
Yes my retriever, she was 10yo but died off a bacterial infection that affected her liver, we have no dirt in our front or backyard because we laid proper floring long ago, so i used a pickaxe and broke the floor, dug a hole where we used to have a trer that she used to bury bones on, i did find those bones digging, buried her there next to her toys and rope, covered all with cement. Pretty sad shit
>>
I buried a dog, cat and bird in my backyard and didn't really smell anything. It was pretty close to my house, and it's not like I live in a really rural area or anything.
>>
>>2324247
Put it in the freezer you dingus and wait for spring.
>>
>>2324247
My hats off to you sir, how deep did you dig?

>>2324260
sorry to hear about that, how deep did you dig
her?

>>2324274
How deep?

>>2324276
U can use a fire to unfreeze the frost. After 30mins you can dick basicly what ever. Especially if you have a pickaxe. I think burial should be done immediately because of emotional stress. Also when going to pick up icecream and being exposed to dead doggo is pretty fucked up.
>>
>>2324276
also i would think picking up the fully frozen body of the dog from freezer would be horrifying.

Much better to fight the frost, only takes so much effort.
>>
wow, don't do google image search for "frozen dead dog"

Made me cry
>>
>>2324421
Why did you do that?
>>
>>2324413
>i would think picking up the fully frozen body of the dog from freezer would be horrifying.
strap antlers on it and stand it up in the neighbor's yard for a Christmas decoration
>>
I'm reconsidering getting a dog
>>
>>2326029
Only get a dog if you live in the country. Being cooped up in a city apartment is no life for a dog, and your neighbors will hate you for having to put up with its constant barking and shit piles all over the sidewalk.
>>
>>2326379
>and shit piles all over the sidewalk.
Responsible owners pick up after their pet.
>constant barking
Responsible owners properly train their animals, and correct behavior that inconveniences others.
Lots of different dogs can be happy and healthy in an apartment setting as long as the owner takes the necessary precautions.
Maybe your issue shouldn't be the dog as much as it should be the shit tier owner.
>>
I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do with my cat when he dies. He's 15 now, and I'm not sure how much longer he'll be around. The dog we got when we also got my cat has already passed, and we had him cremated. I'm trying to decide whether to cremate the cat and have him with the dog, or if I should bury the cat in my back yard and bury the dog's ashes with him
>>
I buried my cat 6' deep. I hate cats but she was the exception. She was family. She passed a week after we bought our house, which was a few days before our 15 year anniversary of getting her. Ironically in the same state we got her from. It was like we brought her home just to die. She has a small but beautiful stone I brought down from a hiking trip in PA. Planting a weeping willow beside her tomorrow.

I have 5 dogs all medium/small except my GS pup who many years from now will need a huge grave. I plan on burying my oldest (12 yr old Sheltie) who was our family dog beside my cat. They were decent friends.
>>
I have buried countless cats, dogs, goats, etc.

I've never used lime. The soil where I lived was black clay ("black gumbo") and fairly hard.

The depth I buried bodies depeneded on how hard the soil was, if I was hitting roots (this will be very difficult if you're digging in a wooded area; roots suck), if horses were likely to be there (and sink into the grave during wet weather), the likelihood of other animals digging there, and how sad/tired I was.

I'd aim to cover the body with at least six inches of soil or so minimum. The deeper the better. The last thing I buried was a goat that was about the size of a medium-large dog, and I did not bury her very deep because of the weather/soil conditions. The grave was probably 3ft deep in total.

>>2324053
I moved when the house on that property burned down. There are a lot of animals still buried there. But I think after dealing with so much death, so many burials, etc. you stop feeling so emotional/sentimental towards it. They are dead and in the ground. It does not really mean or do much to me if I live on that ground anymore. I lived at another property as a child before that, that had a handful of dogs/cats buried on it as well.
>>
>>2326379
I moved from a rural house on acreage to an apartment in a small city, post-house burning down. I took two dogs with me.
They certainly miss roaming around the yard and are happy when I let them loose in a field or the dog park at this complex, but I would not say they are unhappy. They seem to really enjoy lying on the balcony watching people and their dogs outside.
More than anything they just want to be near me.
>>
>>2326400
>Responsible owners pick up after their pet
>Responsible owners properly train their animals

Meanwhile the other 90% don't, which is who you're most likely to deal with.
>>
My family has buried all their pets in the backyard since I was a kid.

Is it healthy? I sometimes think about this. I mean, there are like 12 animals buried there.

In how much time does the remains of animals completely disappear?
>>
>>2328216
Why would it not be healthy? It's all natural, the way the process is supposed to work. Even if you had a garden on top of the remains I doubt it would be an issue. Only problem would be if the animal had been pumped full of formaldehyde first and I doubt that is the case.
>>
>>2328210
>pulling statistics out of my ass, the post.
>>
>>2328244
Pulling statistics out of my life experience. Dog owners are the worst. They bring their filthy mutts into Safeway and push them around in the shopping cart where I have to put my food. But managers are too scared to say anything to them out of bad publicity on the off chance the woman's ADHD chihuahua really IS a service dog as they always claim.
>>
File: 1488132686444.jpg (86KB, 750x732px) Image search: [Google]
1488132686444.jpg
86KB, 750x732px
>>2328266
And all your anecdotal arguments add up to you personally disliking dogs, and an autistic need to bitch about them on the animal and nature board of a Mongolian file sharing forum.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.