[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/birds/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 86

File: Glasses.jpg (122KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Glasses.jpg
122KB, 960x1280px
Yet another OP edition.

Post any questions you have about birds.

Share any pictures you have of your cute little terrors in this thread.

I've had her for 8 months, and she has been going after my glasses at the slightest opportunity since day 1.
>>
>bird still can't climb down
He doesn't mind my mom's attempts to make him step up so at least he's making progress.
>>
File: IMG_20170224_131235.jpg (2MB, 2080x1560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170224_131235.jpg
2MB, 2080x1560px
Can someone tell me what this duck is? I was at the park earlier today and saw this guy hanging out with the mallards. It kinda looks like one, but the colors on its feathers and feet are wrong, and it was way bigger than the other mallards, closer to the size of the male muscovy ducks in the area.
>>
why would i want a duck

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/grd/6002219229.html
>>
>>2323974
Is that what a lutino is? I always thought girl tiels had dull colors, but her blush marks are so bright.
>>
File: inner turmoil.jpg (108KB, 734x994px) Image search: [Google]
inner turmoil.jpg
108KB, 734x994px
What's a good training treat for a lorikeet? I've been using a baby food packet with a tube opening he licks out of but it's rather obvious when i've got it and not very subtle. I was thinking grape in my pocket but then i'd have wet half-chewed grape in my pocket between reps
>>
>>2324102
Domestic mallard
>>
>>2324102
looks like a bastard
>>
>>2324202
Tiny bulb pipette of treat juice?

100PCS 0.2ML Disposable Eye Dropper Transfer Graduated Pipettes Polyethylene

They go for a buck fiddy on ebay
>>
>>2324297
Liquid stays in the bulb, so you can stash it in your pocket. Can also cut the tips to make them smaller.
>>
File: knd8881901014-3.png (369KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
knd8881901014-3.png
369KB, 1200x1200px
>>2324297
>>2324301
They seem kinda small, but made me think, would a small syringe work? Does a syringe leak?
>>
>>2323974
She's adorable. Our birds also love glasses.

>>2324180
Yeah, that tiel is a lutino. Both female Lutinos and male lutinos have equally brightly colored cheek patches.
>>
File: Birb7.png (1MB, 805x1697px) Image search: [Google]
Birb7.png
1MB, 805x1697px
>>2324180
Males would have a very bright and well-defined yellow "mask" on their head. (Once adults)
It's a bit more on the dull side and blended on females, but the orange is usually not affected.

(Pic for a better idea of the spreading of color on mine)

>>2324438
I swear that's her only goal in life, sometimes.
She doesn't even hesitate to get on them while they're still on my face.
>>
>>2324353
Syringes leak easily if the bottom is pressed. They require more finesse to handle than a bulb pipette, which delays the time between bridge and reward in training. If you set some advantage I don't and want to go for it, here's a safety recommendation:

All of the syringes I've used in my work have been lubricated, which may be harmful to birds. Unlubricated syringes have choppier motion and are harder to control the flow.

You could likely strip the lubricant with soap and water, then reapply a small droplet of safe lube (olive oil) around the rubber plunger's edges.
>>
>>2324513
She's so cute. I love how lutinos have red eyes.
>>
File: C0077 [Screenshot 00;00;09.709].jpg (239KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
C0077 [Screenshot 00;00;09.709].jpg
239KB, 1920x1080px
She likes to watch us play games
[spoiler]and we like to watch her watching us play games.[/spoiler]
>>
reminder that parrots are pleb-tier. does anybody have any interesting birds like chickens?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzALllUee3A
>>
File: received_10153521131781099.jpg (84KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_10153521131781099.jpg
84KB, 1080x1920px
Ah /an/, I need to have a small unwinding rant. I've been so frustrated. Last summer this cutie in pic related (7 years) got oviduct issues and they had to remove it in a dangerous surgery. She survives, but can't lay eggs and an ovulation might kill her. We've tried everything they say online to get her to stop with breeding behaviours and we've had the vet place a hormone disrupter twice but it feels si frustrating. It's like my pet is a ticking timebomb. She's otherwise healthy, and I wouldn't want her out of my life. I just have no idea what to do with this.
>>
File: bird.webm (1MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
bird.webm
1MB, 960x540px
>>2323974
>>
>>2324778
Is she living without a partner? Does she have enough time to fly everday? Is her cage big enough?

She may be depressed and sometimes it only stops if they get bird companions since we aren't a replacement.
>>
File: Birb8.jpg (105KB, 1134x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Birb8.jpg
105KB, 1134x1280px
>>2324658
Kyoot.

>>2324671
OP here, I'd have loved to have a chicken, too, but it's been completely out of the question, considering where I live.

>>2324778
I'm kind of scared I'll have to deal with possible hormones issues, egg binding and whatnot.
I've been super careful, even if she's only a year old.

There's not much you can do besides paying attention to breeding behaviors, now, can you?
I know it's hard, and I hope she stays healthy for another decade or two.

>>2324793
I have no idea what this is from, but what this woman is doing to that plastic bird is disturbing.
>>
>>2324800

it's not plastic. it's a real bird
>>
>>2324798
She has a female companion but a male one would be too stimulating. She does have enough time out of the cage (several hours a day, enough flying space, though she is lazy) and the cage is pretty big (meant for bigger parrot types).

>>2324800
Yeah you have to be careful. Pic related is my other bird and both birds have bonded with my girlfriend and I, meaning they see us as partners. Be careful not to overstimulate them because this bastard likes her nests five times a year if I'd her. And there's not much to do for the other one than pay attention and head to the vet.
>>
>>2324778
Oh god that's absolutely horrifying, I really hope she'll stay healthy but I bet it's really scary to know that she might have an ovulation any second. I have a 3 year old female tiel that I love dearly and she hasn't displayed any kind of breeding behaviors whatsoever yet but I'm terrified of the possibility of egg binding if she ever does. I think cockatiels might be especially prone to egg binding compared to other parrots as well.
>>
File: IMG-20170212-WA0004.jpg (132KB, 1600x1083px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170212-WA0004.jpg
132KB, 1600x1083px
I lost my little budgie Winston today. He was only 3. We saved him from a breeder who had left him to die when his mate died and Winston went into mourning. He was covered in mites and had serious health problems when we got him.

He made a really nice recovery with us over 4 months and was learning how to fly for the first time. Last night he fell off his perch after a night terror and hit his head. He was pretty much brain dead after that, flapping aimlessly and having seizures. He didn't recognise us at all and wasn't eating or drinking. We had him put to sleep.

He was the bravest budgie I've known and very affectionate. Despite his shitty life before us he still wanted to be best friends with everyone.

I made a tribute video for him:
https://youtu.be/Hk18-VWj__o
>>
>>2324847
This hits hard, also having trouble with my budgie right now. He was overweight when I got him and has ideal weight now but he is ill every 4 weeks.

I am doing nothing but going to the vet and giving him medicine. He fights but it's hard.
>>
One of my birbs has a really unhealthy-looking plumage for some reason that I don't understand.
He's got the best food I could find -and he eats a lot-, a companion, plenty of time outside the cage, many toys -doesn't seem to care about them at all, though-, bathes regularly, sleeps all he needs,etc.
You know, everything a parrot's suposed to have. He actually doesn't ACT unhealthy at all, by the way, but keeps losing feathers faster than he can get them back, including the big ones from the tail or the wings, and I don't know what to do about it.

Any tips?
>>
File: IMG-20170211-WA0007.jpg (202KB, 1198x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170211-WA0007.jpg
202KB, 1198x1600px
>>2325070
I feel your pain. I was in and out of the vet with Winston for months and yet he never once showed fear or anger about it. He was exceptionally brave. I never once saw him angry or aggressive at us or our other birds either. He had a very calm nature which I've never seen in a bird before.

Just know you're doing your best for your budgie and enjoy what time you have even if it feels hopeless, we had so many plans for Winston and all I want is more time with him but enjoying the present is the best thing we can do. Every moment counts and I wish I realised that when he was alive.
>>
>>2324847
>>2325088
Goodbye, little guy.

>>2325086
Is he actually losing them or is he plucking? Possible fights with his mate?
Did he lose weight lately or anything that could be linked to a virus?
Anything wrong with the down feathers or the ones that are growing back?

Most parrots won't show symptoms of disease before they're VERY sick.
>>
>>2325096
>Is he actually losing them or is he plucking?
I haven't seem him plucking the feathers, they just suddenly appear where he's been before, so I guess it's just them falling down
>Possible fights with his mate?
Mate is actually quite aggersive towards him, and will push him away every time, but he keeps coming back for more and won't do a thing if his mate isn't present
>Did he lose weight lately or anything that could be linked to a virus?
Not that I noticed, but it's hard to tell
>Anything wrong with the down feathers or the ones that are growing back?
They all look neat, straight and properly coloured

He was like this for a while when we first got him, so we bought the other guy to keep him company because we thought it was loneliness, and it worked for a few months until recently.
>>
>>2325103
>I haven't seen him plucking
It's very hard to catch them doing it.

>he was like this for a while when we first got him, [...] it worked for a few months until recently.
I'll assume you ruled out a "messy" moulting and undernutrition?

Does he have any issue with flying?
Is there any spot that seems to be losing feathers more, like his belly?
In what state are the fallen feathers? Clean/chewed on/bent/etc. ?

It really looks like plucking or his mate going after him, this far. What species are they?
>>
>>2325166
>I'll assume you ruled out a "messy" moulting and undernutrition?
Undernutrition is out of the question, he eats plenty and we got the best pellets in the market. Also,l I give him some seeds every day and a piece of fruit two to three times a week, wich he always eats.

>Does he have any issue with flying?
Seems to be agile and fast enough, but I can't tell for sure, as he usually avoids it.

>Is there any spot that seems to be losing feathers more, like his belly?
Yep, the belly is where it's most noticeable. The tail too.

>In what state are the fallen feathers? Clean/chewed on/bent/etc. ?
They all look nice and complete, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. As stated before: neat, straight, and properly coloured.

This guy is an eastern rosella, and the mate a crimson rosella. I've read that all rosellas usually act aggresive towards each other as their way of socializing, and that's what it looks like, the mate will push him out of places or scream at him, but never actively attacks him in meaningful ways.
>>
/b/
>>
>>2325190
You should be offering them vegetables and fruits on a daily basis, whether they eat it or not.
Seeds should be kept to a minimum, or as treats.

Belly and tail is usually a good way to tell it's plucking and not something else.
It can come from the molting itself, which can be very stressful for parrots.

The mate might play a role as a stress factor as well, I mostly hear that rosellas get along fine with most species, including their own.
>>
File: IMG_5400.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5400.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2325088
It's heartbreaking when people tell me "You could've got 20 birds for 1000 €" and so on.
This might be the case but it is not this one little budgie I love with all my heart.

The ones who suffer the most seem to be the bravest pretty often. I thought about it and compared to our lifespan 3 or 4 years is so little times for these little guys. It's a pity.
>>
File: 1686-thumb.gif (171KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
1686-thumb.gif
171KB, 218x218px
i have noticed my lovebird has shorter nails than normal. they are still reasonably long but she seems to be biting on them a bit. thing is, i bite my nails all the time and she's around me most of the day
is she copying my behavior? can lovebirds do that or am i humanizing too much?
>>
File: IMAG1117.jpg (3MB, 2368x4224px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1117.jpg
3MB, 2368x4224px
>>2324847
I need to have one of mine put down tomorrow. This hits me so hard in the feels and for your bird. I never had to put one down before but she has cancer, been fighting it for several months. She has had surgery and is on pain meds, but its grown all over left side of her head and swollen to point she is bleeding and cant see out of that eye. Its even grown in her ear canals so she is deaf now. She cant perch anymore and I put a tent in for her to lay down in cause her head is so heavy with cancer she can barely lift it. This weekend she started having labor breathing and was clearly in pain even with pain meds. Its too advance and tomorrow it needs to be done.

12-13 years old, found by a cop on a road called Mill Road, shelter named her Milly. I adopted her and she has a mate named Mel who takes perfect care of her. He sits outside the tent all day as she sleeps guarding her and feeding her. My nose has been bleeding from crying I did as I watched Mel feed her food tonight, which is only time she is happy anymore.
>>
This thread is so fucking sad, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now.
>>
>>2325459
Don't beat yourself up too much pal, you're making the right choice by ending your Milly's suffering. They give us so much joy in life that we owe it to them to give them a dignified and painless end.

My thoughts go out to you, Milly and Mel. Honestly it sounds selfish but I'm sort of glad other people are going through something similar to me and little Winston. I've felt crazy explaining to friends and co-workers and they say "oh but it's not like a dog or cat though you'll be fine". Having this general to vent in this weekend has helped a lot. Thanks to all of you.
>>
Hey I have a question, I have two budgies and whenever I walk by they lift both of their wings up. I just want to know what that means, are they scared of me?
>>
>>2325556
Its harder than a dog and cat honestly. Many bird species mate for like and form pair bonds on a level dogs and cats dont. It makes it so hard to see a life long mate start crying out for their mate only to never have them answer back. Birds are also prey animals, so they hide being sick and in pain better than dogs and cats, its in their biology. 90% of time when I notice somethings wrong with a bird, it tends to die in 24-48 hours. Its very rude of people to assume because X is not Y its not as bad. You did good standing by and giving Winston the best care and life he could have. At least he lived his last few months happy and cared for.
>>
>>2325577
Do they just lift wings or flap? Lifting wings means they are either nervous or overheated, mostly its overheated. Otherwise its because they want their wings ready to fly cause they are nervous.
>>
>>2325584
They just lift their wings, the house isn't too hot so I don't think its because they're overheated. Plus its when I walk by so maybe I make them nervous. That makes me a bit sad.
>>
>>2325588
Try spending time with them, start by having them in same room as you in the cage, say near your desk/couch. Just sit with them as you browse net or eat food. You need to make them welcome you as one of the flock.
>>
>>2325592
Yeah I need to spend more time with them. When I first got them I spent time with them but then a ton of stuff came up. Most of that stuff is taken care of though so I'll spend more time with them now.
>>
I'm tempted to get a cockatoo, because they seem funny as fuck, but I've heard they're a hassle to deal with.

I've never dealt with birds before. Are there any "beginner birds"?
>>
>>2325667
Budgie
>>
>>2325667
Cockatiel or budgie. Tiels are more mellow, I'd say they're better as a start than a budgie. But they are both good. Just don't buy from a pet shop, adopt or get a hand reared bird from a good ethical breeder. They live long lives and so many people ditch their birds, those are the ones who really need your help.
>>
File: Misting.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Misting.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>2325387
If she sees you as her mate, she could be copying you, but if they're a good length and has no trouble climbing and such, it's most likely just her taking care of her feet.

>>2325459
Stay strong, anon, you made the good choice.
My thoughts go to you and your critters.

>>2325667
Cockatoos are too intelligent for their own good.
They will get bored easily and start wrecking things and screaming for the sake of it.

Good "beginner birds" are usually budgerigars and cockatiels, while conures and lovebirds might be a bit more on the "intermediary" side.
I'd suggest getting them from a recue or a breeder, as store-bought birds might take weeks or months to really warm up to you, and few people care about birds in rescues.

If you've never dealt with birds before, you should search around for behavior and training stuff.
>>
>>2325579
It sounds too crazy to be true but when I lost my budgie (he was 2, I was 13 at that time) I mourned for 10 years straight. I had no one besides this budgie and his death was the first I experienced.

How it is to lose a fellow living being that you love. Hard times.
>>
A house sparrow (Passer domesticus) flew into my apartment in the evening. Appears to be a baby, probably has no home either. I've put it into a spare cage- he kept hitting walls and crash landing so not too sure of his flying ability. I've given it budgie food and water. Any tips to take care of it?
>>
File: IMG_0655.jpg (73KB, 573x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0655.jpg
73KB, 573x720px
>>2325459
Jesus fuck, that's heartbreaking
>>
>>2325208
I think you're right, I just saw how the other bird screamed at him and threw him off the lamp twice, just because, but I don't know how to avoid that, or what to do about it.
>>
>>2325751
Any wildlife rehab center nearby? Or at least one you can call to have proper instructions?

>>2325815
Separating them before it gets bloody seems like a good idea.
Get another cage, even if it's only as a temporary measure, and see how both act.

Just make sure they can see eachother, you might also have to have them out at different times, it really all depends on the birds.
>>
>>2325856
They only interact outside of the cage, as both of them spend a minimal amount of time inside, and when we started put them inside the same one, actual violence happened.
The thing is, the big bad bully got home being a 1 month old, and they've been together for more than half a yearsince then, but things just don't advance at all between them.
>>
>>2325863
A month old? What's with people selling bird that aren't even weaned?
We got 2 or 3 anons with unweaned parrots in the previous thread.

If you didn't typo that, it's possibly one of the reasons they don't get along.
I'll assume the other is mature, and pushing himself onto the mate, who might have no interest in this.
>>
>>2325873
Yeah, 1 month old, we hand-fed him and took care of him until he was big enough to take care of himself. According to the breeder and most sources, it's the only way for a Rosella to ever socialize with people (he was right, the young one loves people and the other one stays away as much as he can).

The other one's (the bullied one) age is unknown, the seller lied to us about race, gender and age, might be a female for all we know.
We think he's 2 years old, because we got a few glimpses at the ring and it seems to suggest he was bred on 2014, but again, we don't know for sure because we cna't get a good look as he will never allow us to touch him.

There hasn't been any advances, though. The mature one simply minds his own bussiness when suddenly the other guy comes along, pushes him away and then goes back to whatever he was doing. This happens many times a day, though the screams are less common, more like twice a week.
>>
File: a2fcce7de78e167d5e8bd7b185ea62ad.jpg (522KB, 1634x2507px) Image search: [Google]
a2fcce7de78e167d5e8bd7b185ea62ad.jpg
522KB, 1634x2507px
>>2323974
What's it like having a bird? I've never had one, and have zero experience with them, but I've been really interested lately.

What's it like having a cockatiel vs a parakeet? What's the difference between a parakeet and a budgie?

I'm worried it'd backfire and I'll have a bird that hates me.

I was told a Quaker Parrot would be a good fit by my gf that grew up with birds, but idk
>>
>>2325692
Fuck, the cockatiel rain dance is so damn cute. Mine does this when I droop my hair over her,
>>
File: IMAG1114.jpg (2MB, 2368x4224px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1114.jpg
2MB, 2368x4224px
Ive never cried so hard in my life today. Goodbye Milly.
>>
>>2325856
I live in a third world country and there aren't any of those.

I'm just curious if they need anything additional. I've taken care of astray pigeons and have 5 budgies so it's not that I don't have any experience handling birds. I plan to release her if she figures out flying better.
>>
>>2325882
Rosellas that aren't/haven't been handled seem to be a pain to socialize.
Keeping them separated seems to be the solution, sadly.

>>2325895
Quakers seem to be more prone to plucking, biting and screaming when stressed out or understimulated from what I have read/heard.

My tiel is actually my first bird and it's been great this far, bar some of her shenanigans, but nothing too bad.
I probably spent a year doing research before contacting breeders.
They're definitely more work than a cat or a dog, as they're not domesticated species.

Your best bet would be shelter/rescue or breeder, as mentioned before in the thread, if you're scared of the bird not bonding to you.

>>2325916
Goodbye little gal. You did the right thing, anon.

>>2325920
If you are willing to take care of it, no one is stopping you, but if it flies, or at least have a full plumage, it might just have come in by mistake.
I'd say the main risk is it panicking and hurting itself in the cage.
>>
>>2325920
if she can fly at all, she's probably good to go and is just crazy with fear and stress. you have experience with pigeons, but pigeons are calmer birds.

i recommend just throwing her back outside. even when they're young, when they have all their feathers they can live on their own.
>>
>>2325921
>Keeping them separated seems to be the solution, sadly.
Problem with this is, the mature one seems to be deeply in love with his mate, even with the abuse. If the other guy gets out of the room, he'll call. Won't bathe without the other guy present, won't do anything except eat and sleep.
I mean, he won't die out of it but that doesn't seem like the best option right now.
>>
Hey /birds/,

I've got two tiels, which my mom and I adopted from friends who didn't want them years ago. They're both at least 15-17 these days.

Growing up I was pretty indifferent to them, but these days I'm in the house after college and I feel like I should try to get to know them better.

Trouble is one's indifferent to me (his sight is getting bad, so I try not to bother him either way. I'll have to bring him to the vet at some point though) and the other flat-out doesn't like me. He'll move for me if I'm reaching in to take and refill the food, but otherwise he'll make to bite me as soon as my hand's in the cage.

He'll sing with me as long as I stay outside the cage, but trying to get him out of there just isn't happening.

Worth mentioning that Mad Bird can't fly - dog nipped his wing tip before we ever got him (why the fuck they were kept in the same space I don't know). For pretty much his whole life he's tried to get outside the cage and fly, but he always flaps down to the ground. Over the past few months he's stopped trying, I wonder if he's gotten averse to leaving the cage at all cause of this.

Can I get them to trust and like me again, or could they be old and set in their ways at this point?
>>
>>2325921
>>2325923
Thanks! Will let it go tomorrow, it's 3 a.m. now.
>>
>>2325925
How about getting them out separately at different times?
There is abuse, and it's obviously affecting them both.

>>2325926
Patience.
You have to let the bird set the pace.

Offer treats through the bars, be calm around the cage, whistle or talk to him while chilling nearby.
If he accepts treats, you can train him without bringing him out, too.

It can take a while, but age shouldn't be an issue with all this.
>>
>>2325916
Sorry mate, you did the right thing.
>>
>>2325926
It took me over half a year for my (probably abused) budgie to look at me. Don't give up hope and be patient, it's important that you don't force yourself on them.
>>
I was told this would either get better on its own or my cockatiel would learn to not to, but for the past probably 2 months we've had a pretty regular schedule
>Get home from work
>He calls out for me as soon as he realizes its me
>Go and open his cage, he flies to my shoulder
>Hangs out for about 5-10 minutes on my shoulder
>Then he starts biting my face pretty hard
>I say "No" and push him away when he bites too hard
>He always goes right back to biting
>Shortly afterwards end up putting him in his cage so he stops
>He immediately starts calling for me again, when I let him out he goes right back to biting
>Repeat cycle until bedtime
>>
>>2325947
Offer treats when he hangs out with you randomly. If he bites you put him back to cage right away and put a cover on it for 10 minutes. He sound figure it out quick.
>>
>>2325947
>>2326060
Putting the bird back in the cage should NEVER be used as a punishment. It's supposed to be its safe spot.
Otherwise it's going to start making a fuss about getting back, bite on purpose to be left alone in here and reinforce the biting behavior. (Which seems to already be the case)

Also, you shouldn't get him out as soon as you get home, especially if he's calling out to you. You're setting a routine that could stress your bird out if it suddenly changes, and reinforce the noise-making.

As much as possible, you should approach the cage and interact with a bird when it's calm.
You can give him a treat when you get back, take some time for yourself, and then interact with him if he's chill.
>>
>>2326081
The cage itself is not punishment, nor viewed by bird as punishment. Thats what the cover is for, its being alone, birds hate being alone, even the ornery ones. It views its cage and its cage with a cover as 2 different things.
>>
>>2326088
That's the thing, he's being put in the cage, and set alone (which he hates, with you own words).

The bird will start associating the cage or being put in the cage as bad, or on the contrary consider it as a safe place and defend it and purposedly bite whoever gets the bird out just to be put back inside.
>>
Contemplating acquisition of a cockatiel. Should I get more than one to give it company when I'm away? Do they handle other birds of similar sizes well?
>>
>>2326121
I am of the opinion you always get at least 2 birds of same kind. They are social animals and themselves will be happier. However you lose out on the super close bond you get with only 1 bird.
>>
>>2325895
>What's it like having a bird?
time consuming
>>
>>2326060
>>2326081
Thanks, will work on that
>>
I would like to know a good flower plant that grows well in containers which lorikeets like to eat. I have a pet lori and having a pot plant with flowers to put him in is better than hunting the whole town for them. Also it might attract other neato birds. I live in Australia.
>>
File: pigeons 1601003555.webm (573KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
pigeons 1601003555.webm
573KB, 160x120px
>>
File: bird.png (1MB, 2414x1414px) Image search: [Google]
bird.png
1MB, 2414x1414px
Is it worth? I really don't go out to buy toys often (they fuckin expensive and the nearest pet stores are a few towns over) so the toys he has now are a bit raggedy or destroyed. I like the idea of being able to swap out his toys more frequently. But is $28 USD worth for 1-5 toys a month?
>>
File: bird.png (1MB, 1901x1479px) Image search: [Google]
bird.png
1MB, 1901x1479px
>>2326582
There's also this one which is exciting as there is a "nectar" option for my lorikeet but I don't think it's a good idea with my student budget, considering he doesn't go through entire boxes of food in a month (assuming they put food in every box). Does seem to contain some good random shit like mite spray
>>
File: reincarnated hitler.jpg (987KB, 3496x2952px) Image search: [Google]
reincarnated hitler.jpg
987KB, 3496x2952px
Hell seger, kamrater!
>>
>>2326582
Considering the prices I see sometimes, I'd say yes, unless you have some craft store around where you can buy stuff to make your own.

>>2326596
Here's your (You), go back to your containment board, now
>>
File: new birb.jpg (2MB, 2297x3062px) Image search: [Google]
new birb.jpg
2MB, 2297x3062px
>>2326602
Don't be mean to my birbs!
>>
>>2326604
Oh god your birds are cute as fuck, please post more. They're so plump and fat and cute and I just want to eat them both.
>>
File: IMG_0776.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0776.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2326610
>>
>>2326612
So very cute, thank you anon. I love their colors. How old are they?
>>
> Notice my tiel makes clicking noises but doesn't do anything visible
> Breathing isn't labored or heavy.

Probably calling my vet soon (either way a checkup is due), but what the fuck can it be? She also has some shaking but other than that she eats normally (sort of, getting more and more used to pellets as the days pass), and is generally her usual self.
>>
>>2326510
Lots of native birds like kangaroo paws they grow well in pots.
>>
>>2326612
>>2326604
I remember that wallpaper from last thread.
Looks like you got your gal a companion?

>>2326821
What do you mean by "clicking"?
>>
File: IMG_0747.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0747.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2326832
Yes.
>>
File: Brimbles.jpg (173KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Brimbles.jpg
173KB, 1280x960px
There's some mold on the walls of the room my bird stays in (the main room of the house). I've read that spraying mold with vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (sequentially, not a premade mixture) works wonders on it, but is it safe for my bird? I know they're both safe on their own, but I don't know what sort of fumes they could give off, and keeping her in another room while I do it isn't an option. I'm planning to do it on a night after I put her to bed, since there'd only be a small gap for air under her cage blankets, so fumes have a lesser chance of getting to her than if her cage is fully exposed. I know I need to get rid of the mold ASAP for her health, but I'm too scared to spray it like that without knowing for sure.
>>
>>2326832
Just a clicking noise, like lightly cracking a finger. I've sat her down in front of me and it's pretty hard to listen to.

Either way I have an appointment for next week.
>>
>>2327326
You should do that when you can ventilate the room well.
Both products' vapors can irritate mucous membranes, and birds are several times more sensitive to breathing hazards than we are.
You don't have to keep the window open for the entire night, but at least wait 5-10 minutes before closing it after you're done to mitigate the effects.
>>
>>2327326
Peroxide and vinegar can kill surface mold, but it'll just grow back if that's all you do. Neither have persistent fungicidal properties.

Treat the mold with an off the shelf mold killer like concrobium. Follow the label on the product. Idk about other products, but concrobium is safe to use around animals becsuse it's just water, baking soda, and some metal salts.

You should also fix the dampness problem that lead to this in the first place. Otherwise the mold will grow where you can't treat it easily, like inside the wall.
>>
>>2327535
Thankfully, I'm just renting a basement apartment, and will be moving out in a week or two, so I don't need to worry as much about the long term removal of it. The owners are old people who winter in Florida, and they don't usually have someone in their house over the winter. Since it's sort of a half basement (the main room opens to a lower ground level behind the house) in an old house, the extra heat caused a lot of condensation on the wall. Thankfully, it's been a warm winter here in MI, so I should be able to ventilate it without freezing. Thanks, I will look into concrobium.
>>
>>2326821
Some birds will "click" their beaks lightly when they feel relaxed, it may be that
>>
>>2325895
Messy, even if your cage has gutters poop, seed husks, and whatnot will still find its way out of the cage.
Birds need a lot of attention, just having them on your shoulder is fine.
Training is also very necessary, for everyone this is different. For me I have to train my bird to not hate everyone, for everyone it is a different experience.
>>
File: tango.png (441KB, 598x601px) Image search: [Google]
tango.png
441KB, 598x601px
I'm just gonna leave a photo of my bird here
>>
>>2327723
I've had my bird for 3 weeks and he's terrified of everyone. One time he flew out to meet my dad because he was singing, but then he regretted everything and sat under the TV for a few hours until my mom had to grab him for sleep. How do I show him we're ok?

Also HE STILL CANNOT CLIMB DOWN. ONLY UP.
>>
>>2327655
No, that's something different but I did think that at first.

My vet said it might be a respiratory thing or behavioral, or nothing at all since she does eat, clean and play (destroy)... Well nothing at all except some gunk in her nostrils. Just gotta wait till this weekend, unless something is seriously off.
>>
New to ornithology so go easy on me

I'm reading into mimicry by means of sexual selection and other things. Taking into account that mimicry is heavily taken in by the environment, why doesn't mimicry come to a singularity? If all the birds within an environment take in mimicry by natural selection shouldn't they all eventually develop the same song?

Also, how is mimicry combated in the sense that an evolutionary arms race exists between that species and the others competing for the same resources?
>>
Hello /birds/ I have bought cockatiel,about 1 week ago, , he got used to new family and is not afraid to eat from hand, we made a lot of progress. Still i have to teach him stepping up before letting him out of the cage.

Anyway i wanted to ask you two questions.

First: How do i make him eat fruit and veggies, when i bought him from breeder he was about 4 months old, i presume that he was his whole life fed with seeds, so he refuses to eat other foods. I have tried to put him only apple, or banana in his feeder but he simply refuses to eat fruits, and i see him sit almost a half day hungry, so i just give up and give him seeds.

Maybe i am wrong, but i just cannot leave him to be hungry all day. Any tips from you guys?
I presume that many of you are much more experianced than me, and only parrot i had before was a budgie.

Second: While he was trying Banana, he got some of it stuck on his beak, and now it looks ugly, and most likely spoiled, so i don't want him to get sick. I presume i can just clean his beak but i am afraid he will get scared, even when he drinks water it won't get off.

So if any of you can help me and give some tips i would be very grateful.
>>
File: On hand.jpg (112KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
On hand.jpg
112KB, 1280x960px
>>2327813
Give him treats whenever he's calm. Do that while he's in the cage if he's really that spooked.
You can train a parrot when it's inside the cage, also.

Don't rush things, depending on where you got it, it can take weeks or months.
Figure out his comfort levels and work on trust-building.

>>2328042
First of all, pellets are way better than seeds, the latter being very high in fat, which in turn will make the bird fat, possibly making it harder for him to fly and to train.

Tiels are notoriously picky. Offer vegetables and fruits in other feeder, whether or not he eats them, preferably cut in small cubes.
Since he accepts food from hand, don't hesitate to fake eating a piece with interest, and offer it to him.

Don't suddenly change his diet, you have to transition him into the new one, or you risk upsetting his digestive track;
Keep the seeds, but gradually add pellets, see if he eats them and work from here.

He should rub the pieces of food stuck by himself on his perch or the bars.
If he doesn't, there shouldn't be any harm in trying to do it yourself, he's young, they're quite forgiving.
>>
File: IMG_0693.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0693.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2328042
From what I've learned from others and my own tiel,

>They prefer dry food, and aren't too big on fruits. Their natural climate is fairly arid so it's not a big shock
>Food has to be the right size, if it's in big pieces they're less keen on eating it and I'm being 100% serious
>Putting a small layer of seeds in their food bowl followed by pellets on top seems to help
>For my own little guy I went to the pet store and bought a refill patch of fake grass for some dog potty training thing (Just pet-safe plastic grass), keep it in one of his play areas, and sprinkle pellets and some seeds in it. He loves rooting around in it and he'll eat pellets without hesitation that he finds
>I recently made some chop for him as well, got a $30 food processor from walmart, threw in a variety of greens, then stuck the mix in the freezer. Every day I break off a frozen chunk and add it to his food bowl along with some seed and he clears out the chop every day. (Be diligent with it though, the chop I made would start growing mold after like 36 hours so I make sure to clean his bowl every day)
>>
>>2327991
Natual selection doesn't grant the best solution, it grants A solution. Due to geographic, climate and other environmental variables you're really unlikely to seebtge consistency you are expecting. Different species will have different mimicry capabilities and biases, and individuals will again have some differences from each other because of slightly different genetics and upbringing.
>>
>>2328110
>bought a refill patch of fake grass for some dog potty training thing ..... and sprinkle pellets and some seeds in it.

THAT is an excellent idea for feeding.

Birds spend the majority of their waking moments in the wild looking for, and eating, food. Caged birds don't have to look for food and can easily fill themselves up whenever they want, leaving them hours and hours of time to do....what, exactly? The boredom factor in the average caged birds life is one of the reasons so many develop behavioral issues, like plucking.

Using fake grass, and mixing seed / whatever into bowls with non-food items, and spreading them around the cage in separate "foraging" stations is a great way to give your bird a healthy way to feed, and helps reduce the boredom factor.
>>
Speaking about fake grass, is there anything to keep an eye out when it comes to buying a piece? Planning on getting some to put in my cockatiel cage and the top of my shelf (where they also love to spend time on, other than myself).
>>
File: 20170304_044904-1.jpg (346KB, 1640x2386px) Image search: [Google]
20170304_044904-1.jpg
346KB, 1640x2386px
Male? Female? Young? Old?

Pet shop bird. Super sweet. Just learning to step up on its own. Let's me touch feet and belly so far.
>>
File: MsGWDklG.jpg (21KB, 774x784px) Image search: [Google]
MsGWDklG.jpg
21KB, 774x784px
do you like my IRN /an/? I got this cheeky mother fucker a bit over a week ago. He was really scared even in the store and is still pretty jumpy, but I've gone from zero to sometimes stepping up on my hand (but only in the bathroom so far...), so it seems he's got great potential OvO
>>
>>2328483
Try to pull a blade out. If you can, then your flapfriend might eat some plastic.

>>2328538
Looks fairly young. Telling sex and age of birds is hard to do through pictures.

>>2328593
He's a cutie. He looks a bit guarded in this picture. As long as you spend time with him and are around him whenever possible, he should open up over time.
>>
File: MVVggHa6.jpg (39KB, 1008x947px) Image search: [Google]
MVVggHa6.jpg
39KB, 1008x947px
>>2328597
yep I work from home so I'm here almost all of the time, his cage is right next to my desk in the daytime and I have a perch I intend on eventually using for training that I put on my desk and he chills out on right next to me (usually). Definitely not chill enough for training though so for now being close to me is training enough I suppose.

Also hoping his slightly red eyes are either normal or go away eventually, there is basically no avian vet in my city (or country AFAIK)
>>
>>2328597
Well a budgie is about the easiest to tell from the coloration of the nares. I just can't tell between pink and blue and I'm not sure if it's due to its age or I just can't tell.
>>
>>2328593
SO CUTE
CUTE
>>
>>2327728
nice bird
>>
> Get back from a long day of work
> Give my cockatiel's head scratches until they yawn multiple times

It's always the little things.

>>2328597

> Pulling a blade out

Thanks for the tip, swinging by Home Depot later.
>>
>>2328538
Very young, looks to be female. Nose has not changed colors yet but body shape indicates female
>>
I'm so lonely after my birb died. Just to suffer
>>
What is a nice bird that will sit down and watch shows with me without making a lot of noise?
>>
>>2328593

Check this shit /an/, these are the very first sounds my bird has made other than normal squawking:

https://my.mixtape.moe/pohtby.ogg
>>
>>2329002
im sorry for your lots :(
>>
File: IMG_1396.jpg (266KB, 1100x733px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1396.jpg
266KB, 1100x733px
>>2329013
The rock pebbler (also known as the regent parakeet) is the quietest bird I know of. They aren't very common unfortunately.
>>
Budgies seem like a delightful pet, I've been looking into them. What would be a decent cage size for two? I don't want to spend $250+, but would like to do better than the minimum.
Also, anything owners would tell a prospective owner? Approximately how many hours of interaction every day would be good?
>>
>>2329134
Thank you birb man
>>
>>2329167
You could probably get a good one for like forty bucks. Just make sure they have space to fly and stretch their wings as well as room for some stuff.

Get them into veggies and pellets as soon as possible as well.

Not sure about budgies and interaction, but as much as you can I guess. Spend about four or five hours with my own birds daily. Don't force it though.
>>
File: JwsTNonuMU.jpg (113KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
JwsTNonuMU.jpg
113KB, 1200x900px
Wish i could adopt this cutie. But is $650.
>>
Today my bird attacked me over food. This is a first. He gets overly entusiasthic about food and really fucking annoyed when I won't give him something (usually because it's for his brother).
I try to keep him away from his bro when food times comes but today he just wouldn't have any of it. He keep attacking him until I decided to intervene and then he attacked me. In the end I had to throw the food away because this was getting nowehre except me getting bitten and the brother getting scared to death, what do?
>>
>>2324793
i do this to my bird all the time he smells good haha
>>
>>2329635
well theres always the solution of trying to calm him down by having him do some exercise/unleash his fury over toys or chewable plants/things.

Look up the list of plants parrots can chew on, i know that bamboo is an accessible one but you have to worry about it's specie(the bamboo ).

but otherwise i don't know, you could take him into another room while you get around his brother
>>
>>2329013
parrots aren't cats, you need to occupy them and dedicate some time to them if you don't get a pair.

just avoid lovebirds in your case, rosecollis in particular.
>>
IMPORTANT UPDATE
Bird is now climbing down. He managed to maneuver onto his door, inched out to look at us, then jumped back in. Cautious birb.
>>
>>2329661
What does your bird smell like?
>>
>>2329013
doves maybe
>>
>>2329789
like potpourri or brown sugar sometimes, kinda hard to describe what else... dusty?
>>
>>2329924
That's weird. I've only ever smelled the dusty notes with a hint of whatever they've been eating. Does your bird's food smell lije the potpourri/molasses?
>>
File: 20170104_074141-1.jpg (27KB, 414x426px) Image search: [Google]
20170104_074141-1.jpg
27KB, 414x426px
>>2329937
their food doesnt really smel like anything but sometimes their breath smells like tortilla chips
>>
luvbirb/squid / sun conure if you are here please call back
>>
What's the average price of an umbrella cockatoo
>>
File: giphy2.gif (2MB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
giphy2.gif
2MB, 245x184px
cockatiels are such lovely birds. They are not the smartest parrots but they have a reasonable difficulty level, reasonable lifespan and are very friendly if raised decently.

Compare that to a psychotic cockatoo that lives to up to 80 years and requires tons more attention and lifestyle changes. Its like adopting a screaming child capable of drawing blood that never grows up.
>>
File: 251-084545_LRG.jpg (48KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
251-084545_LRG.jpg
48KB, 600x600px
>>2330289
Google it numbnuts. It would also help to be specific about your fucking location. And you better be prepared for one if you get one, or else the welfare of the parrot is at stake because of your ignorance.
>>
>>2329924
my tiels smell like dusty old popcorn. It is an addicting smell.

When wet they smell like wet dog.
>>
>>2330068
luvbird reporting

currently enjoying my hearing damage.
>>
>>2330325
It is Ukraine how muych do you know breeder
>>
>>2330566
please add me back
i'm not even sure why you removed me in the first place
>>
> Take cockatiel to vet, low respiratory infection
> Never manhandled so the syringe feeding was traumatizing
> Had to leave her for a couple of hours until she calmed down/make sure she's ok, because of work
> Cry when I get to my car

Been years since I ever cried. I've never been so grateful to see her stuffing her fat face with food as right now.
>>
Pls help me make sure I'm doin' it right.

Have a young budgie I got from the pet shop. He doesn't bite, but he also doesn't wanna be bffs yet. I'm slowly trying to show him that I'm not going to hurt him by spending as much time with him as possible (he hangs out near me while I'm at the computer, which is about 90% of my day).

He started letting me touch his feet a few days ago. Now he'll let me pet his ''belly'' (spot between the thighs), but not for extended periods of time, and only gently. If I keep paying attention to his body language and cues, will I eventually have a nice birb friendo, or will he just have learned to tolerate some minor petting?

He's gotten better at stepping onto my finger too, although sometimes he needs a little push to finally get on there. Again, doesn't bite, or even try to bite, just leans back real far if I get ''too'' close with my finger when he really doesn't wanna (I don't force him unless I have to move him- don't wanna just grab him and ruin progress).

He's been exhibiting all the signs of a happy lil birb while perched, but I want us to be bffs so I can scratch his cute little face and head. Also, he seems to have taken to the perch and looks at it constantly whenever I do hold him, even has jumped to it a few times off my finger. Should I no longer put him up there so he gets used to me, or is this normal and will fade once he starts liking me?

Am I doin' it right? Or...?
>>
>>2331148
so far everything seems alright, when he perches on your finger try offering him greens like spinach or broccoli. i think eventually he'll grow pretty close to you especially if you're gonna be the only one interacting with him
>>
>>2331151
So far he's only eaten seeds, and the closest he's got to taking it from my hand is me putting the bowl of food near his perch and then he perches on it and I set it down while he eats. Then I finger-elevator him back over to the perch.
>>
Hey I'm thinking of getting a bird but I don't know what to get what is a good starter bird to get
>>
Me and the wife are into cockatiels, we have 6 and leave the cage open all day.

We want to get a bigger parrot though, like a grey. If we get two grey males and house them in a separate part of the house from the cockatiels, will they still go maul the smaller birds? Has anyone dealt with this?
>>
>>2328110
What sort of greens did you use?
Mine doesn't really enjoy much other than broccoli and lettuce
>>
>>2331181
Cockatiels are easy, and fall in love with you, try to get a male male pair, and buy from a breeder that hand feeds, or rescue a pair (they will not be nearly as friendly)
>>
>>2331346
Male male pair is easier than 1 bird btw, they will be quieter because they can entertain each other.
>>
>>2329013
>bird
>quiet
haha
>>
>>2329013
cockatoo :^)
>>
>>2331339
i used to have a grey who i'd often have with my smaller birds like budgies and a cockatiel (he loved getting preened by the tiel), he was very gentle and overall didnt mind them but you still need to be very careful and supervise them
i noticed among my birds that the smaller ones tend to bully the bigger ones and of course the parrot is gonna defend itself and probably end up hurting or even killing the smaller one, those beaks are the fucking stronk
just keep a close eye on them and watch for body language whenever you do have them together at any time
>>
>>2331346
Why male-male and not female-female?
>>
File: IMG_0691.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0691.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2331344
Kale, collard greens, and turnip greens
He won't eat them if I just offer them as-is, but once they're chopped up he's all over it.
Keeps for a good while too, I've got a frozen block of the mix in my freezer and every day I break off a piece and add to his food
>>
I wish I was never away from home for more than 6 hours so I could have a cockatoo.
>>
>>2331396
because he's a jewish psyop agent promoting homo-nazi degeneracy and is trying to deathpill you

do not listen to him

get a female-female pair instead
>>
>>2331407
The (((CIA))) shill counterintel death squads (((CTR))) forum sliding is getting out of control. What don't they want me to find out? I'll keep digging on Comet Ping Pong and find out - that's the exact opposite of what the Jewish superintelligent entity wants.
>>
>>2331403
Good stuff. I wish more bird owners made fresh batches of veggie mix for their birds.
>>
>>2331396
eggs/laying sucks
>>
File: Cuddle.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Cuddle.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>2331403
How big are the batches you make?
Or how long do you keep a block in the freezer before it runs out?
>>
File: ayam-cemani-1[6].jpg (92KB, 790x415px) Image search: [Google]
ayam-cemani-1[6].jpg
92KB, 790x415px
are chickens welcome in /birds/?
>>
>>2331995
No because chickens aren't birds you silly goose
>>
>>2331995
Absolutely. Please post your cocks, everyone!
Hens are good too.
>>
>>2331998
Uh...are you just kidding? Chickens are birds.
>>
>>2332154
He was being a silly goose
>>
>>2332189
Gooses are also birds
>>
>>2332189
THE GOOSE

IS LOOSE
>>
File: penistail.jpg (99KB, 955x575px) Image search: [Google]
penistail.jpg
99KB, 955x575px
i just got a smol cocketiel yesterday it didnt move eat or drink is he okay?
>>
>>2332317
He's going to be very afraid for a bit, maybe even in shock. Especially if it was a pet shop bird and hasn't been socialized with humans much. Give him some time and space.
>>
>>2328110
>(Just pet-safe plastic grass)
Would be worried about the potential for impaction if bits broke/were torn off.
>>
>>2329013
They're only really loud early in the morning and late at night right before bed. My cockatiels sleep all through the afternoon and as long as they have toys and food they're entertained enough to stay quiet whole they're up.
>>
>>2331396
I have a female-female pair and it took them a year and a half to get along. In all that time they fought over imaginary male competition, bullied each other over food, squabbled over attention from me and generally couldn't stand the sight of each other. Once we went on holiday and they were stuck in a cage together for a week down at the pet shop boarding room they seemed to finally bond. The advice is solid anyway, male cockatiels tend to be chill and happy, female cockatiels are territorial and angry. So two females is a bit of a nightmare, two males become bros and rarely fight.
>>
>>2332340
fuck off shill
>>
>>2332323
what should i name him he is 7-8 months old
>>
>>2332317
Mine did the same thing, after about 2 weeks he acted like a totally normal bird and is very slowly getting used to hands now. Tries to fit in our conversations too.
>>
>>2331973
That batch was enough to fill a big ziploc freezer bag pretty well (I think a gallon bag?)
I made it like 3 weeks ago and there's still plenty left and it smells good. Next time though, I'm going to do something to separate it out a bit before freezing, because fuck is it hard to break off little chunks from a frozen brick

>>2332335
For that reason I don't keep the grass in his cage, it's in a play area where I can watch him while he roots around
>>
>>2332340
Just like human women!
>>
>>2332340
yandere cocke
>>
>>2332379
>Asking 4chan to name your bird
Penistail.

[spoiler]How about Sebastian?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]I can't remember if spoilers work on /an/[/spoiler]
>>
File: makesmethink.jpg (10KB, 410x344px) Image search: [Google]
makesmethink.jpg
10KB, 410x344px
>>2332461
>>
>>2332406
Kill yourself, braindead millennial /utg/ shill kike.
>>
>>2332588
>millennial
How old are you?
>>
>>2332317
I have always wanted to get a bird but the idea of putting such a creature in a cage would kill me.
>>
>>2325579
>harder than a dog

You never had a dog. Maybe your family did, but you never did. Not dissing birds, and I'm very sorry to hear about yours.
>>
File: 5589796479_36116ce678_b.jpg (130KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
5589796479_36116ce678_b.jpg
130KB, 1024x769px
Thoughts on Gulls?
I like them.
>>
File: 20170311_081214.jpg (243KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_081214.jpg
243KB, 1000x562px
love me some delicious brocc.
>>
>>2332647
The idea is to not have your bird in the cage all the time. It's a big commitment raising one because you have to keep good track of them when out of their cage.
>>
>>2332671
I understand, but if I did I would have to have a terrarium for him to fly freely, no cage.
>>
>>2332700
I understand. If I ever had anything bigger than a tiel I'd want to give them an entire room.
>>
>>2332154
>implying chickens aren't owls
>>
File: 20170311_003338-1.jpg (543KB, 2254x2218px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_003338-1.jpg
543KB, 2254x2218px
I'm trying to get my birb to take food from my hand, but it's not working out. Apparently the pet shop never gave them that millet spray? Spray millet? Those seeds on a stick before because it freaked out like it was a monster. Took a small piece off and still the birb does not want. Birb won't eat anything that isn't regular birb food in a dish. Help?

Pic related; the cheeky lil cunt.
>>
>>2332878
Anons have this kind of problem all the time and the answer is invariably "be around your bird more". Birds aren't very trusting. You need to build a rapport with him, and right now he's just not okay enough with your hand to stick his beak in it. Just spend a lot lot lot of time with him and be a good human. The trust will come naturally.
>>
anyone have ever handfed a baby pigeon before?
i want to raise a couple someday
>>
>>2332891
Okay then I'm on the right track, I think. I spend 99% of my time at home, and he basically just lives next to me. He stays perched on my laptop like that all the time.
>>
>>2333057
That's a good technique. He'll warm up.

Clean your laptop.
>>
File: 20170311_112639-1.jpg (770KB, 3391x1474px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_112639-1.jpg
770KB, 3391x1474px
>>2333065
Too late. Cleaned it the other day. Luckily he doesn't make a mess on the laptop.

Never gone through so many paper towels.
>>
I'm looking to get a new birb as my pet. I had a lovebird for about 6 years and it died on me due to age. I'm now ready for a new birb.

I've decided between another lovebirb or a cockatiel, but I don't know what to do.

I'd love sun conure but they're:

a) expensive
b) high requirement diet
c) it's exotic after all

what do you guys suggest? also, should i buy it from a pet store or a private breeder? All my other birbs I got them either from friends or found them on the street/came to my balcony.
>>
Do budgies like it if you whistle to them?
>>
File: IMG-20170312-WA0021.jpg (84KB, 1599x899px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170312-WA0021.jpg
84KB, 1599x899px
>>2333306
Depends on the bird, most birds like music of some kind.
>>
BIRDFAG is back for wild (mostly) bird IDs. Fuck the faggots that keep parrots in tiny cages.

>>2324102
Cayuga breed of domestic duck.
>>2326510
Google it. Govt. likes it. Anything native that produces fruits/berries.
>>2330021
House Sparrow
>>2331995
Ayam Cemani breed of domestic chicken.
>>2332663
Franklin's Gull. I love gulls. This is hard ass bird to ID without location.
>>
File: neil wingstrong dreams of space.jpg (142KB, 1632x1206px) Image search: [Google]
neil wingstrong dreams of space.jpg
142KB, 1632x1206px
So my old and new cockatiels don't quite get along. They can generally coexist alright, I've seen them happily napping while sitting about 15 cm away from each other. But if either of them gets too close the other will squawk and nip at them. There hasn't been any injury so I think it's just threatening/warning to back off. I have also seen tail pulling, toe biting and toy stealing. But again no injury.

Would it be safe to move them to living in the same cage? Or is there a danger that it could escalate the behaviour and lead to one of them actually hurting the other? This is my first time owning birds so I'm not sure what is normal and okay, and what is a sign that they should keep different "home bases".
>>
File: robenfeeding3_000.jpg (141KB, 896x848px) Image search: [Google]
robenfeeding3_000.jpg
141KB, 896x848px
/out/ pointed me here...

A big muscular robin showed up on my lawn during the heat wave last month. Now that we're back to full winter and the ground is frozen, he's been standing around my front yard looking really confused.

And now there's a huge snowstorm bearing down on us.

Is there anything I can feed him so that he doesn't starve or freeze to death? He really cheered me up as the first sign of spring last month.
>>
>>2334518
>Is there anything I can feed him so that he doesn't starve or freeze to death?
Antifreeze? I mean, it would *technically* neither starve not freeze ...
>>
>>2334518
Robins are very cold hardy. He should be fine. If you're really worried then put out meal worms and water. He'd love that.

Under no circumstances should you try to capture him.
>>
>>2334518
You can build a small nest box for it and hang it off any yard trees you might have (otherwise a long metal pole will work fine).

Robins generally don't go for suet, you can try wild bird blends or mealworms.
>>
>>2334603
>>2334610
I'm asking for suggestions of stuff I might have in my fridge, that I can put out tonight or after the snowfall.

Capture him? I wouldn't even have an idea how to do that if it had even crossed my mind.

Plus, he looks like he'd put up a real fight.

And where does he stay, anyway? I doubt he's sleeping in the building with the sparrows or pigeons. I haven't seen any birds nests around.
>>
>>2334622
Robins like fruits, especially berries of any kind. They'll also eat raisins and shredded cheese if you have either on hand.

He'll be perching in a tree or underbrush during the storm. Don't worry too much about him. Wild birds are really good at taking care of themselves.
>>
File: IMG_4674.jpg (658KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4674.jpg
658KB, 2592x1936px
I found this birb figurine at a Japanese shop.
>>
>>2334723
>Wild birds are really good at taking care of themselves.

I don't doubt that but... robins fly South for the winter for a reason, right? They're not cold weather birds.

Anyway, I left a bit of aging fruit on the lawn, and I'll probably put some out tomorrow if the storm slacks off. Hope I see him again.
>>
>>2323974
How do I pick a bird? You know, tell if it's healthy, young etc?
>>
do cockatiels bite hurt alot
i had budgie before is it similar
>>
>>2334903
It hurts as much as anything sharp clamping through your skin would? They can exert a surprising amount of pressure with those little beaks. Last time my untamed tiel had to go to the vet and I had to grab him he managed to bite my finger and tore right through my fingernail. But if you have a tame one and treat it respectfully it will just give very gentle warning nips if you do something it dislikes, those don't hurt at all.
Can't compare to a budgie sorry, have never had one.
>>
>>2334768
Most Robins go south for food, not warmth. If a Robin has a good food supply they might choose to stay all winter. They handle the cold easily.

>>2334896
This can be difficult. Birds are good at hiding illness, but there are some warning signs. Look for a bird that makes sharp and decisive movements, and doesn't appear to be slow or lethargic. Sitting at the bottom of a cage or otherwise not wanting to perch is a sign of grave illness. Make sure feathers are clean and neat looking. Make sure the bird has good feather cover and isn't missing a lot of them. Check the rump and just make sure the feathers aren't matted and dirty.

>>2334903
They can bite hard. Those beaks are for breaking seeds apart and can easily draw blood. Training can show them what kinds of nibbling is okay.
>>
>>2334974
>>2334961
holly fuck u spokd me how im gonna tame my mongoloid then i tried to feed him spray millet trough the cage today he swinged his head 90° if he hit me i wouldve lost a finger
>>
my cockatiels just experienced their first night fright, at least with me
holy fuck that was scary
I thought they were dying when I first heard them scream ;___;
>>
File: Fotor_14895489026049.jpg (3MB, 2620x4656px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_14895489026049.jpg
3MB, 2620x4656px
My friend with my birb
>>
File: Fotor_148954913578152.jpg (291KB, 1439x1931px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_148954913578152.jpg
291KB, 1439x1931px
>>2335429
I have a bad habit of kissing the forehead of my boy's head with lipstick on
>>
>>2335220
They bite hard when afraid or ignorant. 'tiels are social creatures and can easily be trained to not bite. You need to get him to not be afraid of you first thought. Just spend time with him. A lot of time. There's no shortcut to trust with birds.
>>
File: IMG_0724.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0724.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2334373
That picture really fired my neurons
Does that cockatiel have a very small crest, does mine have a huge crest, or do they just normally vary so much in size?
>>
>>2335429
>>2335433
You two seem to be fans of the Periodic Table.
>>
>>2335644
Lol it is very small. He's still very young so it hasn't had time to grow out yet. My older one's looks more like your bird's unless he's just moulted
>>
File: IMG_2874.jpg (76KB, 742x496px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2874.jpg
76KB, 742x496px
So I encountered this big ol fluffer today. In a big cage just sitting out on the pavement. Apparently belongs to the owner of the little gallery it was outside of. I thought its beak was deformed until I googled to figure out what he was lol. I couldn't see any food, can they be fed just at set times like a dog?
Just wondering... is this acceptable?? I guess watching passers by could entertain it a bit but... just leaving it out there like that? I'm a bit concerned for it.
>>
>>2335742
Thanks, was curious on that

>>2335750
That beak does look nuts, but as far as I know it is ok to not have food available 24/7, but they still need to be able to eat often.
Judging by the cleanliness of the cage, unless it's brand-new with a newly-bought bird, I imagine the owners have at least some idea what they're doing
>>
File: OK249jV.jpg (138KB, 1842x1074px) Image search: [Google]
OK249jV.jpg
138KB, 1842x1074px
>>
File: 1487185093355.jpg (39KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1487185093355.jpg
39KB, 500x333px
>>
File: unhappy.jpg (69KB, 542x478px) Image search: [Google]
unhappy.jpg
69KB, 542x478px
>>
>>2335865
>What the fuck are you looking at?
>>
i am living single till my wife finishes college in another state for 2 months. Is the parakeet a good bird in i be working around 10-12 hours a day? i am willing to buy 2 to keep each other company or should i just invest in getting finches?
>>
>>2336044
A parakeet will go crazy in that timespan. A few finches will keep each other occupied, but they won't be tame at all if you can't dedicate the time to them. Personally I'd just wait.
>>
File: cockatiel pepe.jpg (40KB, 550x889px) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel pepe.jpg
40KB, 550x889px
>tfw female cockatiel is laying eggs and wants nothing to do with me, just sits in her nesting box all day
I'll be glad when her egg-laying cycle is over...we used to be buddies, now she just acts like an asshole and hisses at me whenever I come near her unfertilized babbies..
>>
File: VIDEO003.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
VIDEO003.webm
2MB, 640x480px
Do you mind if i lose a finger
>>
>>2336165
He's really really afraid.
Spend more time in his general vicinity. Don't try to touch. Then in a couple of weeks give something yummy by hand and see if he goes for it.
>>
File: pigeons.jpg (2MB, 2500x1406px) Image search: [Google]
pigeons.jpg
2MB, 2500x1406px
I've rehomed two American Fantails. Enrichment advice? I bought them some parrot toys but they don't seem all that interested other than as targets to aim for with their potshots.
>>
Someone got that picture of the bird with the green text
>yall mind if i scream
>>
File: IMG_3088.jpg (153KB, 1452x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3088.jpg
153KB, 1452x1936px
>>2325088
Reminds me of a girl budgie I had. Her name was Chai Tea (I passed a starbucks bringing her home). She was small, turquoise on her back. I have another bird named Shorty (I was in seventh grade and didn't know if the tail feathers would get longer, so that's why I called him that). He tried fugg her multiple times (he'd step on her tail, she would run)

Chai Tea was sick however, I caught her mite infestation too late. It was bad. I put her to sleep.

Shorty couldn't give two shits.

I love that bird
>>
>>2332663
No.

Get a Diamond Dove or a Pigeon instead
>>
>>2332878
>>2332878
Put a Spray Millet ball in your hand. To Budgies it's like cocaine
>>
>>2336138
smash the eggs in front of her anon, make her understand that she is powerless to stop your whims.
>>
Hey guys, so ill be moving into a new apartment soon, and to celebrate I want to get a nice new cage for my goffin cockatoo. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2336165
Give him lots of time and attention. Play music or something.. My own tiel is no longer afraid of fingers that aren't touching him. If I hold out a treat he doesn't freak out, even if I rub him with it. He just gets confused.
>>
File: 8bQeu.jpg (40KB, 320x496px) Image search: [Google]
8bQeu.jpg
40KB, 320x496px
>>
File: 15.jpg (71KB, 546x420px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
71KB, 546x420px
>>
>>2336313
Mite infestations are curable you know, it just takes a series of 3 shot injections. And if it was too late I cant imagine the size of the honey comb structures, how could you miss that.
>>
File: Cute Birb.jpg (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Birb.jpg
256KB, 1920x1080px
Does anyone else wish they could have a Nicobar pigeon? I've loved dodo birds ever since I was a kid and these are the closest relative alive today.
>>
Do owls make good pets? I'm considering to get a white face.
>>
>>2324102
Mallard Peking rat mix
>>
>>2336650
No. Just no.
Raptors in general make terrible pets. They don't have any sense of social order or community, so it'll never really bond with you.
>>
bir
>>
>>2336564
Get one, anon. I birdlieve in you.
>>
>>2336777
This guy's head reminds me of a cobra.
>>
File: 1085.jpg (49KB, 660x441px) Image search: [Google]
1085.jpg
49KB, 660x441px
>>
>>2336787
>buying a threatened species
>>
File: 20170117_145117.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170117_145117.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Here's my pigeon hanging out with the chickens at the park
>>
>>2336883
All I see are blurs of feather floof.
>>
File: SkypePhoto_20170317_135918.jpg (203KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20170317_135918.jpg
203KB, 768x1024px
>>2336889
That's pretty much what they are.
>>
File: 20170126_153817.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_153817.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
What kind of duck is this?
>>
>>2336896
Not a duck, it's one of these guys.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coot
>>
>>2336901
Thanks! It's been driving me crazy.
>>
>>2336894
Ah, silkies. Cute, but it doesn't look like she can see too much through that.
>>
>>2336909
Well her feathers are pretty see through for her. She does have some problems seeing things directly in front of her beak but she'll just crane her head to one side. It hasn't been too big of a problem yet. I've thought about cutting it but I'm worried she'll try to look at the scissors and I'll accidentally poke her in the eye. :/
>>
File: tumblr_o6zyuh9g2d1qjm6tmo1_500.gif (375KB, 500x434px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6zyuh9g2d1qjm6tmo1_500.gif
375KB, 500x434px
>>
Can I give my chickens a shallow bird bath? Just something for them to sit in to cool them down since it's over 90 degrees?
>>
>>2336947
you don't "give" birds a bath.

you can set up a bowl with water (not too cold) and leaving it close to them. eventually they'll inspect it, and if they dig it, take a bath.
>>
File: SkypePhoto_20170317_171241.jpg (140KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
SkypePhoto_20170317_171241.jpg
140KB, 800x1200px
>>2336961
>>
>>2336985
that's one fuzzy birb
>>
>>2336961
Spray bottles and showers. They exist.
>>
File: wow.jpg (93KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
93KB, 375x500px
w0h
>>
This might sound like a dumb question (especially when I'm new here), and I know they are mostly disliked, but can you adopt and domesticate a bird of prey, in the same way you tame your cockatiels, budgies or household birdies in general? By that way, I mean if you can make a bird of prey to love you, play with you and stay with you forever. Or this is not possible?

I have a profund love of avians in general, but birds of prey are the ones who happen to catch the most of my interest because they are big and taller. Even if they look angry, grumpy or boring most of the time, my heart still melts everytime I see a bird of prey doing bird things.

I asked this out of curiosity, but I will admit that I have a little wish of keeping a bird of prey as my bird pet.
>>
>>2337054
No.
>>
>>2337054
You could try falconing, but it's difficult to get trained in it and you need a license to practice it. It's also hard to provide a bird of prey adequate exercise and mental stimulation without allowing free flying. This means you have to come to terms with the fact that a lot of the time, the bird will fly away and never return at some point.
>>
>>2337054
They don't love. They don't play. They don't stay.
Birds of prey are generally autistic little fucks who would eat you if you were small enough. They're hunting tools and not much more.

Consider a couple of chickens if you just want a larger bird. Chickens will love you and get pretty cuddly. Some breeds are absolutely gorgeous.
If flightless birds aren't your thing, then you're basically looking at parrots and songbirds like everyone else. Maybe a raven would suite you, but they're a huge responsibility; like a toddler, for 30+ years.

You should probably research a lot more regardless of what kind of bird you get.
>>
>>2326510
Plant some bottle brush in the back yard. Lories love the stuff
>>
>>2332647
You do know a good lot of birds are actually very fond of their cage. It's their own little private spot. As long as they're not stuck their 24/7, and it's not used as punishment, cages are good
>>
lmao put the penistiel cage next to the window and played him some music
all he does is run left right and he whistles
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 168x112px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 168x112px
verrynice
>>
File: croppedImage.png (1MB, 1046x936px) Image search: [Google]
croppedImage.png
1MB, 1046x936px
I havr all of a sudden obtained two love birds, 3 months old. Any advice on how to keep them safe n shit? I've raised a lovebird once before a decade ago and have forgotten most of it. Pic related
>>
do birbds kissu?
>>
>>2337560
parakeets groom eachothers ceres' as a form of affection. also, they feed eachother.
>>
>>2327326
Just get the bird out of the room and bleach it the fuck down.

Wait for the bleach to vent/decay before letting bird back in. Vinegar is vastly overblown in its (lack of) disinfectant properties and you probably don't have a strong enough solution of h2o2 to disinfect properly. Mold unchecked is far worse than anything chlorine can do to your bird.
>>
>>2337054
>I mean if you can make a bird of prey to love you, play with you and stay with you forever.

Raptors are solitary creatures, outside of mating season, so they don't develop the same kind of social bonds that flock birds, like parrots, do. They're essentially lizards...with feathers...and probably not as smart.
>>
File: 00t0t_emy3CWudIPp_600x450.jpg (25KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00t0t_emy3CWudIPp_600x450.jpg
25KB, 337x450px
There's a blue-fronted amazon with a cage for sale an hour from me. He's 25 years old. There's another one that's 19 from the same seller. Says they are friendly. The 19 year old is arm trained but moody. The 25 year old is stick trained but not so moody. I tend to like adopting older animals, but I'm gonna meet both birds before i choose.

I'm a first-time bird owner who has planned for a long time about this. I only have one house near me and they wont care if they hear the bird. I can take care of him. My only concern is, i will be the only one spending time with him. My roommates "like" birds but won't interact with him. Is this bad to not socialize him with other people? I plan to take him outside and around places with me though.

Also, how can i keep him warm?
>>
>>2336947
you can cut the turf off an area of your lawn and spread waste hay/weeds/lawn trimmings wood pellets etc which will breakdown to suitable bathing materials for the bird over time

alternatively you can use a mixture of wood ash and DE but I dislike this method because chickens like to fling that shit through the air creating silica dust which is not good for anything to breathe in.
>>
>>2337580
Bad advise desu! Mold spores are extremely resilient and will not be destroyed by a bleaching the wall. The mold will appear to die, but will regrow fairly quickly.
Always use an off the shelf mold killer and preventer product. They permanently make the environment hostile to mold growth. Any moisture problem also needs to be fixed or it will keep growing inside the wall cavity.

>>2336947
Chickens don't bathe in water. They use dust/dirt. Give them a shaded area where they can dig. They'll dig up a hole and bury themselves in it. This cools them down and keeps their feathers clean.

If your soil is hard packed then wet it and till it until you can dig it with your hands.
>>
>>2337054
Harris' hawk maybe. I hear stories about eagles pair bonding, but I'm not quite sure exactly what that entails. But HH is likely the closest you'll find to what you're talking about. I've never had an HH, but the people who have them call them "dogs with wings." I expect that's because they're basically impossible to lose, and has less to do with them acting "lovey."

They could become super domestic in the next few hundred years as captive breeding gets more developed, but for the foreseeable future you'll need to work with the natural behaviors.

95%+ of the time they're autistic fucks like the other anon said.

My last red-tail would nibble at my fingers, and I would "pull" at his neck feathers. All of my red-tails have let me touch them basically wherever. But they're not really interactive; If they do anything it's typically clear touching hands isn't their favorite thing to do.

And you can get them to fuck you. That's probably not what you meant by "love", but eh.

They do get stupidly comfortable around you though. It still fun to call them in from a ways off and watch them fly to you and see and feel them land on the glove.
>>
File: 3b412c17051ef825388cb7284b875384.jpg (98KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3b412c17051ef825388cb7284b875384.jpg
98KB, 1080x1080px
>>2336650
Owls don't make good pets, but they make amazing tattoos.
>>
>>2337704
How long have you been keeping raptors and do you hunt with them?
>>
Guys, I have a stupid noob question.

Do parrots need to see the vet regularly for anything specific, like beak/nail trimming? Obviously they should get check ups to make sure everuthing is good. I'm just wondering if they have additional maintenance that only a vet could perform.
>>
If I get 2 green cheek conures, will they be ok that I work full time?
>>
>>2337827
2 or 3 years and yes.
>>
>>2337874
They only need beak and nail trimming if you have a poor cage setup. Also get the fuckers dewormed.
>>
Is it ever too late for a parakeet to be friendly to you? I know mine are still afraid of me, especially the male.
>>
>>2338095
No. but you need to take active and proper action. Invest in training and taming books or videos. Clicker training is the easiest route imo. If you don't know what you are doing then tough luck.
>>
>>2338098
>If you don't know what you are doing then tough luck.
noobs btfo forever
>>
Birb is trying to copy what we say. What are some good songs for him to learn? I want to raise a proper hipster.
>>
>>2337874
All pet birds should probably be given 6mo-yearly checkups for worming and general health.
>>
>>2338095
Had a lone keet', and he bonded with us all.

Took in a pair of keets' a friend didn't want, and they bonded with each other and viewed us all as two legged monsters until the day they died.

I'm sure it can be done, but it's much harder with a pair than it is with a lone bird.
>>
What do you guys think of lovebirds? I've always been told they weren't like parakeets, cockatiels and most parrots and that they were more "hands off". We ended up with a pair, one missing a foot and they are really interactive. I can't get them to perch on my hand and they will only go near hands through the bars of the cage but once they're out they like to chill on us and fly around our heads. They don't bite too hard if we have to gently cup them(seems like more of a 'what is this and should I bite hard or soft') but they're pleasantly better than I thought.

They seem pretty limited in noises too. Can't get them to sing or imitate anything other than a short whistle, otherwise they just chirp and babble endlessly with you. They like to hide in my clothes and throw things off the counter.
>>
>>2338349
Also they do this hover-fly thing at me where they jump up and hover like a hummingbird. Short at first but then increasingly faster and longer. What does this mean? I don't know how to respond to it and they seem to get offended and frustrated that they are not getting the response they want. Not idea what sexes they are but I've seen them fucking and they don't show any signs of wanting to fuck is so I don't think it's them wanting to get jiggy with it.
>>
>>2338291
A Pokemon or digimon tune.
>>
>>2324658
My Hahns Macaw does this. Always sits on my mouse hand.
>>
Has anyone an anecdote or experience with goffins cockatoo? Is it true they are less mentally ill than umbrellas?
>>
File: 1466483454798.jpg (674KB, 840x574px) Image search: [Google]
1466483454798.jpg
674KB, 840x574px
>>2335928
>>
>>2336961
Actually, my bird likes when I pour water onto him with my hands insterad of bathing by himself so... yeah, you can bath a bird
>>
does birb have benis?
>>
>>2339198
For most birds, the penis disappear during developement due to programmed cell death. The genes responsible for creating a penis are still there.
In ostrices and certain waterfowl, there is a fully functional, some would say, extreme penis present.
>>
File: 1490060674503 - Copy.jpg (30KB, 356x313px) Image search: [Google]
1490060674503 - Copy.jpg
30KB, 356x313px
>>2339207
>>
>>2339352
Post extreme crows.
>>
File: 900-485767632-angry-crow.jpg (44KB, 900x628px) Image search: [Google]
900-485767632-angry-crow.jpg
44KB, 900x628px
>>2339365
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLJegq01S6A
>>
>>2339483
Crows are the cutest little autists
>>
My female budgie's cere is yuge. The budgie herself is fine though. What do.
>>
I'm currently saving money to get a pet bird, something I've wanted my entire life. I've never had one before, so I figured it would be best to start with "beginner" birds. The ones that have been suggested to me are Parrotlets, Cockatiels, and Lovebirds.

I live in an apartment, so quieter is definitely better, (I've heard all of these species are apartment-safe noise wise.), and I'd like a bird that would enjoy chilling on my shoulder. Which bird would you recommend?
>>
BIRDFAG IS BACK FOR IDs. No caged.

>>2334518
American Robin

>>2335865
Bald Eagle

>>2335867
Canada Goose

>>2335869
Cattle Egret

>>2336533
African Superb Starling

>>2336535
Blue Jay

>>2336564
Nicobar Pigeon

>>2336777
Blue Crane. Also checked.

>>2336847
Mourning Dove

>>2336883
Escaped captive pigeon

>>2336896
American Coot. Unrelated to ducks.

>>2337560
Common Raven

>>2338773
Dunnock
>>
>>2337560
Birds do most everything with their beak.
So if rubbing beaks and preening each other counts, then yes.
>>
>>2330324
i do this
Why do they even like it?
>>
>>2340818
Social birds like physical interaction. Probably feels good and is fun.
>>
>>2340818
It's basically preening to them.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 86

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.