[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are moths creepier than butterflies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: 1472248259333.jpg (2MB, 3000x2001px) Image search: [Google]
1472248259333.jpg
2MB, 3000x2001px
Tonight a white moth intruded into my house. He was beautiful, and I contemplated the idea of moths being symbols representing certain things. However, I wanted the little guy to GTFO of my house. If he were a butterfly, I would be cool with him and let him hang on my hand. But the mere fact he wasn't made me unwelcome him. Alas, I'm a man-child and neglected the responsibility and just left him, i'm sure he'll die in 3 days or week.

Sidethread: Are moths spiritual deities?
>>
>>2323739
the mothe is the ghost of a turd that thought it was a babby that thought it abortion
>>
>>2323739
t. Butterfly
Butterflies spread bitter lies.
>>
>>2323739
their meaty bodies freak me out
>>
File: fluffy moth.jpg (14KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
fluffy moth.jpg
14KB, 500x374px
>>2323739
I don't think they're scary.

However to the untrained eye, they look like horseflies from afar. Anyone who has dealt with horseflies en-mass would be rightfully scared.
>>
It's the colors.
>>
File: LunaMoth-Simons.jpg (44KB, 480x418px) Image search: [Google]
LunaMoth-Simons.jpg
44KB, 480x418px
They hide in closets and eat clothes. I also swear I was bitten by one as a kid, although I was told that it was just contact dermatitis, it was a red, swollen bump, like a bite.
Pic related: we get these fuckers in Missouri. I have saved a few that were attempting suicide via bashing themselves into light fixtures on porches at night.
>>
>>2323807
This, plus they're fluffy, insects are not supposed to be fluffy
>>
>>2323970
>insects are not supposed to be fluffy
get your eyes checked
>>
>>2323739
Because most old-time people were /x/phobic and therefore associated diurnal colorful butterflies with good, while nocturnal dark flying things were the devil itself.

It's funny because up close, most butterflies are terrifying (many have spotted, geometric or stripped eyes and that's fucking bizarre) while moths upclose are 99% big eyed fluffballs.
I don't trust butterflies but I fucking love moths.

Fun fact: the dreaded " bad omen" Death's-head hawkmoth (Acherontia sp.), makes the CUTEST sound when it's annoyed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efyufhtO7VU
>>
>>2323942
Moths cannot bite you even if they wanted, they don't have mouths. They have proboscis which are very soft and (with the exception of one particular moth that doesn't exist in the USA) incapable of puncturing skin.
>>
Stop talking shit about moths. Moths are awesome.
>>
Moths produce silk, a hugely important commodity in human economy historically.
What do butterflies do?
>>
Gas the butterflys, bug war now.
>>
>>2324060
They produce butter.
>>
>>2324038
There's a lot of weird posts about moths biting people and laying eggs under the skin. They're probably not moths, but I googled this because I was genuinely interested to see if anyone had ever had this happen to them, too. Lots of weird stories about moths laying eggs in peoples' scalps. I wonder what they are?
http://bugguide.net/node/view/61806
>>
>>2324060
well a good proportion of butterfly caterpillars are food for wasps, so they indirectly contribute to my entertainment
>>
File: IMG_8811.jpg (375KB, 798x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8811.jpg
375KB, 798x1000px
Moths are beautiful and underrated.
>>
My boyfriend is terrified of moths. When we moved down the NC, first night in the new home an imperial moth flew into the house. It was as I opened the door to let the dogs in so everything happened in wonderful slow motion. It flapped its giant ass wings and navigated through my living room, through the hall, into our bedroom, right up into my bf's face. It repeatedly slammed into his face, and my boyfriend was screaming. Of course he'd just driven 10 hours and was severely lacking sleep but it was hilarious. The funniest part was when I wrangled it up, let it outside and it flew right back and did it again. Fortunately for me our dog ate it or I may have been beaten to death.
>>
>>2324559
>Moths can't bite or sting humans. It's impossible. People are misidentifying insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calyptra_thalictri
>>
>>2324594
>>
>>2324597
http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/vampire-moth-vin
>>
>>2324597
>>2324594
>>2324600
Vampire moths live in Malaysia and rarely in certain European areas like Sweden. No westerner has been bitten by a moth. They're misidentifying.
>>
File: 1.png (173KB, 1386x633px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
173KB, 1386x633px
>>2324615
No. Here is the distribution map of C. thalictri.

>rarely in certain European areas like Sweden
That is where they recently have turned up, due to the warming climate, that is why it was in the news.

The genus Calyptra, which contains 18 species, 10 of which exhibit facultative blood feeding is distributed across the old world, with one species (C. canadensis) occuring in the norther US and Canada.

See http://www.academia.edu/download/37971076/Zaspel_et_al_2014_Calyptra_geographic_distribution.pdf

Please actually inform yourself before you post.
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1645/13-484.1?journalCode=para
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.