[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dog hiking/camping general. Thru hiking the Appalachian trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20170119_071653152_HDR.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_071653152_HDR.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
Dog hiking/camping general.

Thru hiking the Appalachian trail with a dog. Anybody done it? She's a healthy dog, mix of a hunting breed and herding breed. I think she could handle it but I want to hear from others who've done it.
>>
>>2322897
Not who you wanted, but I live in a tiny town that's only feature is being right off the Appalachian trail and I've seen hikers with dogs enough times to know you can do it.
>>
>>2322897
If she's healthy, I can't see why she couldn't handle it. Just keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't sore or dehydrated or anything and I'm sure you'll be fine.
>>
>>2322897
Make sure your dog has been working up to it. If you don't take your dog on hikes/walks often and surprise it with a big one, you may end up having to make many large breaks. Bring water with you and something to use as a water bowl. Take breaks if you notice her slowing down or over heating. If overheating is an issue, bring rubbing alcohol to put on the paw pads. Don't overdo that though because she could cool off so fast it could give her shock.

You can also try asking /out/ for tips. Just beware that some posters will say they will hurt your dog if they see it off-leash.
>>
>>2323214
>Just beware that some posters will say they will hurt your dog if they see it off-leash.
It's nice to know /an/ is not the only board populated with the militant retarded I guess.
>>
>>2323214
She'll be on leash the whole time even if it's not required, don't worry. I don't want to take the risk even though she has good recall.

Didn't know about the alcohol. I've also heard of mushers secret which is supposed to protect their paws from rough ground.
>>
>>2323218
/jp/, /n/, /v/, /g/, /k/, /o/,/out/, /fit/ and /pol/ have them probably more, maybe /b/ still but i don't think so.
>>
>>2323214
I have shown my terrier to rip the throat open of the closest person when I say a magic word.

Doubt they would hurt him.
>>
>>2323229
I think /b/ is its own kind of stupid, but I agree every board on this particular Mongolian finger painting forum has its own fruit bowls.
>>
Poll: do you share a tent with the dog?
>>
>>2323233
I was talking about militants specifically.
>>
File: 1929 Pembroke Welsh Corgi.jpg (102KB, 578x450px) Image search: [Google]
1929 Pembroke Welsh Corgi.jpg
102KB, 578x450px
>>2323252
Yes
>>
>>2323376
That's adorable.
>>
>>2323230
and people wonder why white trash shouldn't own dogs
>>
>>2323218
>>2323230
Is just one shit poster trying to get dem (you)s.
They've even admitted it
>>
Be nice to those paws, OP. they can handle a lot but they can't handle everything. frequent breaks and make sure you're examining the paws frequently. musher's secret is more for ice/snow than hard/hot ground with debris. think about hiking boots for your dog (they do exist).

people have already mentioned how important hydration/cooling is so I won't touch too much on that too much.

things to consider:
>what is the plan if your dog is injured? snakebites, falls, sprains, exhaustion, etc.
>do you have a dog-specific first aid kit?
>are you having your dog carry gear? have they carried before? the max is usually 25% of their body weight though really strong/experienced dogs can do more
>can you account for the extra food that needs to be carried? if they're going to be expending extra energy, they will need more food than they eat at home
>dog will need clean water, not stuff from a creek that'll give them giardia

I'm sure there's more but that's what I've got off the top of my head
>>
File: IMG_20161011_095345282.jpg (2MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_095345282.jpg
2MB, 1456x2592px
>>2326113
Thanks, I'll think about these things. She's used to carrying a backpack on our walks but she's never walked more than a couple hours with it on. I'll have to buy some booties and get her used to them. I can get higher calorie kibble for when we hike so it's less weight in her pack.

Pic related
>>
>>2326893
Your dog a cute! Cute!

>higher calorie kibble
Make sure to do a gradual switch before the exercise. Sudden change in diet + intense exercise = huge no no. Imagine eating nothing but pasta for months and then downing Taco Bell before running a marathon.
>>
>>2322897
>thru-hike
IIRC, there's a chunk of the trail that forbids dogs.
>>
>>2323218
you're dog really shouldn't be off leash. if the dog is off leash and I don't see an owner around, I'll assume it's a stray
>>
>>2326941
Oh, and be extra careful your dog doesn't drink from puddles or get too close to animal feces. Don't want to risk your pup catching giardia
>>
>>2326933
Good point. I saw somewhere else that hikers often give their dog puppy food because it has extra calories and and is easy to find at stores in towns.

>>2326941
Yeah there are boarding kennels around those places, so she can stay there. I think one of them has a shuttle service that will bring your dog back to you at the point where dogs are allowed again.
>>
>>2326942
>and I don't see the owner around
Which would kind of defeat the whole point of taking your dog hiking with you.
>>
>>2326942
op here, I'll definitely keep her on leash even on trails where it's optional.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.