[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Denied Pets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14

File: Colddog.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Colddog.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>been wanting a monitor since childhood
>love reptiles in general

>live in cold-ass northern Scandinavia

It's unfeasible for me to move to a temperate climate, and even country import laws prevent me from owning a reptile pet. Post gripes about pets you want, but can't have.
>>
>>2322592
Monitors are mean as fuck. When I was a kid a family friend had a 5 foot long raptor monitor. Fucking terrible pet
>>
>>2322592
>want a leopard gecko or a sand boa
>know I won't be able to afford it for a while (recently got into an illustration career)
I've wanted these for years, I wish I could just get both right now and give them beautiful terrariums
I also want a dog, but I'm constantly fatigued and am a paranoid, so walking it twice a day and playing with it would be hard for me, not to mention training. It could either be therapeutic or be a disaster.
>>
>>2322595
My old roommates had 2 Savannah monitors and they were fantastic. They were dogs with scales that would greet you at the door asking for pets, lay on you on the couch, and fall asleep when scratched in a line on their heads.

Only got bitten once and that was because I was fussing at it for trying to dig under the roommates' door when unbeknownst to me, one of the roommates had had a mental break and kicked him across the room earlier that day. She left and the monitor improved. He does try and nibble at my shoes when I go visit though. Probably smells like my dog and cat
>>
File: tumblr_ofjn0gFS9e1qegyh3o1_1280.png (295KB, 550x477px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofjn0gFS9e1qegyh3o1_1280.png
295KB, 550x477px
I've wanted a ferret, smell be damned, since I was 10 years old. Parents refused, roommates refused, partners refused.
I'll either have to live alone or wait til everyone I ever loved is dead before I can get one
>>
>>2322655
I feel u anon
>>
I want a pair of prairie dogs but severely allergic to hay.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 770x521px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 770x521px
I've always wanted a unicorn. I wish humanity could just get rid of it's pissing about and "morals" and start splicing together animals all haphazard like.
>>
>>2322592
wanted an ant colony ever since I was 6
Parents said ants would be all over the house never let me have one even though I did tons of research on the subject.

Finally live alone.
Ordered a proper formicarium and outworld.

>mfw waiting for nuptial flights
>>
>>2322706
Ed--ward....
>>
File: 120831264.jpg (14KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
120831264.jpg
14KB, 460x276px
>>2322708

That feel when I'm not allowed to import cool desert species of leaf cutter ants. They would die if they escaped where I am but I understand.
>>
>>2322731
I would love to get my hands on honeypot ants. But due to them living in mexico and they might be an invasive species if they escape and blah blah blah.

Where I live there is false honeypot ants but they are just too darn hard to find. I've only ever seen them once in the wild.

The species ill probably get will be lasius niger (or simaller) or tetramorium sp.e which is an invasive species here, but they are legal to own. Funny how that works out.
>>
>>2322717
I do not understand.
>>
>>2322754
If you do not understand then do not question it, you have been spared.
>>
>>2322744
>grows fast
>aggressive
>queens can get almost 30 years old

Sounds a lot like people that own them eventually get overwhelmed with the colony size or get bored after a few years and then put them outside.
>>
>>2322706
Don't see what makes it much better than a horse, it's just a horse with a horn that gets moody if you ever have sex with anything.
>>
>>2322862
they've been around here since the 1800's

I don't think it was ant keepers that brought the invasive species.
>>
>>2322717
>>2322754
>>2322858
It's a meme from full metal alchemist where Edward meets a cute little girl who's dad later splices her woth a dog and makes a monster. Monster says his name to show it really is cute little girl. Everyone acts like it's the saddest thing ever made and while it's sad, it's nothing to constantly cry about.
>>
>>2322744
>lasius niger
Where are you? Lasius niger is rare in North America and pretty much only on the west coast. In the east its common to mistake Lasius alienus and Lasius neoniger for it.

On the other hand I also very much doubt you only have 2 species even in an urban environment.
>>
>>2322927
I'm in northern Ontario in a rural environment.

And really? that's interesting i thought they were rather common here. Thanks for the clarification.

I wasn't saying that there are only 2 species here I was just stating that those are the species i'm hoping on getting this summer.
>>
>work at shelter
>doggo was abdoned in a field with a huge chain around his neck and terrified of people
>neighbors finally got him comfortable enough to catch him and bring him in
>have bonded with that fucker a ridiculous amount
>take him on walks/runs every day on my lunch hour
>get to work early and stay late to sit in his kennel with him and read
>bring him special treats from home
>he already knows his new name
>come in on my days off just to visit him
>take him on fieldtrips to get pupcones from local icecream shop
>brought one of my dogs in for them to have a play date
>tfw already have two large dogs at home with a cat and trying to find an apartment that allows bully breed mixes

A-at least I can sponsor his adoption fee...
>>
I always wanted a parrotlet but there are none in Australia and it's illegal to import them. They are the only parrot species I actually like.
I guess I'm stuck with finches.
>>
>>2322592
Burmese pythons are my favorite animal in the world and my dream pet but have been banned from being trasported across any state lines in the US because retards in florida kept letting them loose in the wild and they became an invasive species
I live in northern cold shit wisconsin so no way would a burm survive outside more than a couple months
Also because of this breeders have jacked the prices up like fuck because they are the only place you can get them in whatever state
Fuck florida
>>
>>2322953
Reptile rapture in wisconson has burmese according to google no clue on pricing but i believe you that people have gone retarded with it

And the biggest release of burms in florida was hurricane andrew destroying a warehouse full of herps
>>
>>2322939
>parrotlet
When will they learn?
>>
>>2322877
They have cloven hooves and a big long flesh tail too.
>>
>>2322914
Thank you
>>
There are no gerbils or hamsters allowed in Australia.
>>
File: url.jpg (1MB, 2053x1329px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
1MB, 2053x1329px
Blue and White Mockingbird - Melanotis hypoleucus.

Somewhat uncommon in the wild, importing into United States would violate CITES I'm pretty sure even if I found a Guatemalan crazy enough to kidnap a bird from the rainforest for me. Also ethics.

Damn beautiful, though.
>>
>>2322641
I've just hit my goal of saving up for a leopard gecko by flipping burgers part time while studying, the only problem I have is bringing it to university, although I hear a few halls are lenient with the pet policy for terrarium pets, but should I risk it? [spoiler]I just want a smol bundle of joy to keep me happy and encourage me do my best[/spoiler]
>>
>>2322939
A parrolet is just a term for any small subspecies of parrot i.e. budgies, canaries, cockatiels, etc.
>>
>>2323987
You should first ask around, and maybe clarify the species you want to own is just an inofensive small gecko that eats bugs. If you're feeling risky you could just start setting stuff up and wait and see what happens, though of course that's dangerous.
Best of luck with your future geck anon, I'm sure you'll be good for oneanother
>>
File: gtvzFZt0GEFnT8MaS7E5_quokka05.jpg (108KB, 721x724px) Image search: [Google]
gtvzFZt0GEFnT8MaS7E5_quokka05.jpg
108KB, 721x724px
>>2323801
but hey, you got these guys
>>
My mother wouldnt allow non-cat/dog pets when I was young
I moved out and got a snek.
>>
>want a tube dude
>mother is irrationally afraid of sneks; thinking they'e either all venomous or will constrict you to death
>dislikes most reptiles really

The only exception is my turtle as she's dopey and nonthreatening enough to not bother my mother. And I don't have a stable enough income to move anywhere, let alone out of this jew state.
>>
The laws in my state on keeping snakes are absolutely retarded. You can't own any non-native species of snake without a permit while in every single surrounding state, you can't own any native species of reptile until it has a genetic mutation. In order to get a permit in my county, you have to own an acre of land or more because the laws were designed for people keeping exotic mammals and apparently you have to keep the snake in some sort of double cage to prevent escape. Pretty much the only kind of snake I'm legally able to own if I have any intention of moving to another state is a corn snake with some sort of mutation. The most ridiculous part, though, is that lizards and turtles are almost completely exempt, the only exceptions being venomous lizards and monitors.
>>
>>2322595
it depends on the individual and how they are exposed to humans as babies
>>
>>2322646
kill that roommate
>>
>>2322914
>>2322981
you forgot the part where she gets murdered by a muslim right afterwards because he thinks she is a crime against god
>>
>>2322935
you'd just get mauled by it eventually. not even memeing, that past is always right under the surface ready to spring out
>>
>>2322655
They're social animals so you'd need two or more, first of all.
Same, though. I love ferrets but they smell like shit and they take a lot of energy and money to care for. Ended up with rats, which are as close to ferrets as you can get without all the cons.
>>
>>2324049
california?
>>
>want saltwater tank
>had two huge 150+ gallon tanks as a kid that i spent hours watching and playing in the sump of because all sorts of freaky shit lived there
>not smart enough to maintain one
>no longer affluent enough to afford one
)-:
>>
>>2324771
New Jersey
>>
>>2324774
>not smart enough to maintain one
ouch

if you can post on 4chan all by yourself you're smart enough to maintain a marine aquarium
>>
I've wanted a ferret for years, but they were made illegal to breed or sell shortly before I gained financial independence.

New Zealand.
>>
>>2324850
pretty sure it's less about not being smart and more about being too lazy for one
>>
>>2324886
I spend way more time and effort wiping my ass every year than I do maintaining my SW tanks.

just a matter of priorities
>>
>>2324769
I've owned rescued pits my whole life and worked with absbandoned/abused/neglected dogs for years. What you are describing is ridiculously uncommon. And most dog bites are the person's own fault for acting incompetently and not understanding what the dog's limits are and how to recognize them. Your concerns are unwarranted
>>
>>2322592
>wanted a St Bernard
>Parents said no too big too expensive
>gets German sheperard instead
>Dog proceeds to destroy the house causing over 1000 dollars in damage
>Ends up running away

I got the doggo though now in my apartment, great apartment dog by the way, and it is the best lovable thing around. Loved by any and all people
>>
File: george.jpg (78KB, 634x449px) Image search: [Google]
george.jpg
78KB, 634x449px
I want one.
>>
>>2322655

I'm an exotics vet tech and trust me, ferrets are awesome but they are so prone to insulinoma and adrenalcarcinoma. Like, that is the main reason I will never own one.
>>
>>2323989

No it's an actual specie of parrot. Look it up.
>>
I could have ferrets and I lived with someone who had three but I can't stand the smell. He did clean the cages but it was driving me up the walls, even though I'd go in a clean out their litter box multiple times a day. The smell was driving me insane and I'd have vapor rub under my nose 24-7. A year of that and I could not get used to it. I don't consider myself very sensitive to smells, if anything I have a distinct lack of smell. A shame because they were really fun and loveable. I'd love to have ferrets but I just can't because the smell drives me actually insane. It was stressing me out so much I'd started pulling out my hair, eyebrows, excessively wash myself raw and everything we owned. After I moved out I was totally fine and none of this OCD crap.
>>
File: Aquala742.jpg (36KB, 488x238px)
Aquala742.jpg
36KB, 488x238px
>>2322592
a breeding pair of shinglebacks would cost me as much as a used car unless i moved to Straya

life is suffering
>>
File: 14963509488_bfc600014e_b.jpg (161KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
14963509488_bfc600014e_b.jpg
161KB, 800x600px
I really, really want a Monocentropus balfouri communal tank, but I'm a pussy and have a self-imposed "No old world tarantulas" rule
>>
Red tail catfish, my dream fish. But they get absolutely huge and being catfish they're predators who will eat everything.
>TFW no 200+ gallon planted aquarium
>>
>>2324099
Just buy whatever snake you want illegally. You'd never be charged with a crime for keeping any snake unless it killed somebody.
>>
File: Updated_Slide31.jpg (347KB, 1400x575px) Image search: [Google]
Updated_Slide31.jpg
347KB, 1400x575px
>>2322592
>live in UK
>EU has blanket ban on all GMO's
>>
>>2324099
What the fuck state is that? The only state I'm aware of that has complete bans on snakes is hawaii.
>>
>>2326731
That's what everyone does and what I've thought about doing, but I don't want to take any chances.

>>2326778
Delaware. It's not a complete ban, just a non-native species permit restriction, but the permit requirements become retarded in my county in particular because of the one acre of land requirement that was meant for large exotics, which was never meant to cover snakes to begin with.

It wasn't always that bad, but our laws got extra stupid after a guy died in his apartment and his corpse was partially eaten by the Nile monitors he owned, but for some reason, the bulk of the new legal regulations pertained to snakes, which had nothing to do with the incident.
>>
>>2326749
>wanting those garrish ass things
>>
>>2324769
Lmao, not the person you're responding to but I've had two rescue dogs in my life (+ another dog who hated his last owner bc she was a shitty owner so she just gave him to my family) and not a single one of them have mauled me yet; if it happens I hope it's soon, honestly 5 years invested in this vicious killer who has just been barely keeping in her killing instinct...
>>
>best friend wanted a hedghog
>got them one for their birthday
>hedgehog seems cooler than I thought
>want a hedgehog now
>called local hedgehog breeder to reserve one, same one I got previous hedge from
>8 months go by
>not hear shit
>Get leopard geckos instead

One day, I'll get that call
>>
>>2327186
>not wanting fish that look fucking fabulous
>>
>be me
>always wanted a dinosaur as a child
>tried getting a dino handler license
>mfw government won't give me a chance
I hate the US government. Anyone live somewhere that it's legal to have them?
>>
>>2327479
live in uk where its legal to keep small theropods

I breed compys and own a few velocis, the compys are surprisingly are savage little shits. and i have a few fantail velocis who are surprisingly docile all things considered

im hoping to get some Prussian blue archeopteryx and set myself up as the first uk berrder

I also know a guy down south who got a permit for rexes and carrchs, guy owns a big ass estate that hes put 20000 volt fencing around
>>
>>2327491
Wow I really want the last deal
>>
>want a ferret, or a bigger but small bird (conure, etc) or a ratto
>spend most of my time at work or asleep so I wouldn't be able to properly take care of it
>>
File: tumblr_nkphxrPXmV1rvuefeo1_540.jpg (156KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkphxrPXmV1rvuefeo1_540.jpg
156KB, 540x405px
>>2324770
Yeah I know about the two or more thing. I might end up with rats at some point instead or just a solitary hedgehog instead.
Though all three are certainly barred until I have a bigger place and a bigger income.
I havnt had a pocket pet since I was a kid and I wanna make sure I do it right this time
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.