[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Euthanasia of animals in the meat industry.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (13KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 239x239px
Why does nobody use potassium chloride (KCl) to instantaneous stop an animals heart?

It is extremely cheap and as safe to eat as table salt, but when a tiny amount is injected it causes cardiac arrest.
>>
>>2320519
it's extraordinarily painful

this is a problem from animal welfare perspectives
but it's also a problem for slaughterhouses since animals in pain thrash around and break things

also it's not as cheap as a bolt gun
>>
Do they have to inject it into the heart? If so that would be agony. Imagine the size and thickness of a needle that would be needed for a cow, especially when it's squirming and thrashing.

Bolt guns kill instantly.
>>
>>2320519

Because cardiac arrest isn't "instantaneous" and is painful. For welfare reasons you would have to render an animal unconscious before injection.

On top of that you have to use quite a bit, for a dairy cow Iowa vet quotes 120ml (with a saturated solution of 340g/l), across two 60ml syringes into a vein using 14/16 gauge needles.

So whilst it does not have to be injected into the heart, it's painful and to put it simply as >>2320522 said- a bolt gun, or even a simple knife is a cheaper, easier option.
>>
>>2320519
How about you let the animal die of natural causes then harvest the meat?
>>
>>2320519
Why not just shoot them on the head?

>>2320545
>natural causes
you mean like diseases? what are you, a vulture?
>>
>>2320519
Because a 12 gauge slug straight through the skull is equally as effective and has less chance of fucking up..
>>
>>2320519
I'd say the way to go would be to use helium for sedating the animals before slaughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqaPZR4M22w
>>
AFaik most of the butcheries here in Denmark uses CO2 to knock them unconscious, followed by a butcher sticking a blade with suction into the main artery in the throat.
>>
>>2320595
Why not CO?
>>
>>2320595
The problem with CO2 is that it causes strong asphyxiation reactions and panic. The uncomfortable feeling of asphyxiation you feel when you're not breathing air is actually not from a lack of oxygen, but from an excess of CO2 in your blood.

>>2320598
Because it's poisonous and a fire hazard. Plus it probably affects the color and taste of the meat.
>>
>>2320589
Helium is getting rapidly depleted
>>
>>2320589
Helium is only painless when you completely exhale; if you have O2 in your lungs, you will still get a feeling of suffocation.
>>
>>2320595
>butcheries here in Denmark
>New butcheries in Poland.
>FTFY.
>>
File: CaptiveBoltPistolChigurh.jpg (19KB, 456x246px) Image search: [Google]
CaptiveBoltPistolChigurh.jpg
19KB, 456x246px
Because stopping the heart is the LAST thing you want to do when slaughtering an animal. Draining the blood is very important.

When they kill cows, they use a special air gun that they place on the forehead of the animal. It stops the (relatively, for a cow) higher brain functions but leaves the parasympathetic nervous system (responsible for keeping the heart beating) intact so that the blood will pump out of the animal for a time after it is dead.

The weapon used in "No Country for Old Men" is a modified version of this device.
>>
>>2320613
N2 works for inert gas slaughter too and it's the most common gas in the atmosphere. I agree though that helium probably shouldn't be wasted on animals.
>>
I know this is a serious thread but what is the fuck is that damn picture?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.