[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

De-extinction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Mammuthus_3108268b.jpg (39KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Mammuthus_3108268b.jpg
39KB, 620x387px
Why do they want to revive the mammoth so much?
>>
>>2320299
Why do you think? Look at that nose! It's the ultimate Jew. A mammoth would be the best doctor.
>>
>>2320299
>they
they think you want them to.
>>
>>2320299
because it would be cool as shit
>>
because there is frozen mammoth meat and all kinds of shit available to work with. The only other animals with samples that quality that went extinct died out because they either could not live in a zoo or just nobody gave a shit about them.
>>
It's one of the reasons I'm still alive, I want to see one before I die.
>>
probably because

1. to see if this is scientifically possible
2. it's extremely similar to a living animal; it's just a bigger elephant with fur, which means it could theoretically be easier to breed/get dna
3. it's large, adds to 'cool' factor
4. herbivorous, not really a threat to humans (compare to a smilodon or megalodon for instance)
5. people like elephants
6. it's cute
7. can also be extremely badass and metal
>>
I want to lop off one foot and have a wooly garbage can
>>
>>2320299
They can repopulate Siberia with them to clear out all the vegetation. That will help lower the temp of the region, which will stop the permafrost from melting like it is now. The permafrost in Russia has more carbon and gases trapped than everything released by humans in all of history. Mammoths eat a fuck ton of plants.
>>
>>2320360
Yeah, I was thinking about the 1 and 2 (the rest are crap)... but cloning has some bad references about genetic diseases, like Dolly. And bringing back and taking care of a beast which we surely doesn't know ANYTHING* about could be really expensive.

And I was reading about where it will be gestated, and they are planning making an artificial uterus.... THAT'S the most impressive thing about this experiment.

*Zebras are almost the same as horses if we look the body and the environment, but you can't tame them.
>>
>>2320504
>you can't tame them
Africans BTFO
>>
>>2320499
Methane farts tho
>>
>>2320507
Not a ruminant.
>>
>>2320521
>only ruminants fart
>>
>>2320360
>bigger
Weren't they slightly smaller than Asian elephants?
> herbivorous, not really a threat to humans
>Haven't seen an outraged elephant and doesn't know what musth is.
>>
an excuse for ice age 6
>>
>>2320623
A siberian mammoth was larger than any modern elephant
>>
>>2320663
Yeah, but they're planning about reviving the popular one (Primigenius) because it's the most common DNA that they found.
>>
>>2320299
Because it'll be cool AF
>>
>>2320533
Ruminants fart a lot more.

A Lot More
>>
>>2320299
Elephant + fluffy = pretty much the awesomest critter ever really.

I wonder if they're as smart as modern elephants.
>>
Can somebody tell me why it's not possible for them to use a living elephant as a surrogate mother? Why do we need to wait for the invention of some artificial uterus?
>>
>>2321589
It's been tried with the Iberian ibex, which was only a subspecies of a still-living ibex. Of the many embryos implanted, only 3 were born, and of those 3 only one lived...for a couple minutes. Using a modern elephant of a separate genus as a surrogate for a mammoth would almost certainly fail.
>>
>>2320499
>That will help lower the temp of the region, which will stop the permafrost from melting like it is now.
too little too late
>>
Even if you could resurrect a mammoth that lived to adulthood, reintroducing it to the wild would be idiotic. No animal aside from man could prey upon it.
>>
>>2320360
>herbevore=harmless to human meme
herbivores kill much more people. just look at hippos and deer
>>
>>2321670
this
>>2321675
well they reproduce slowly and it wouldnt be hard to cull them if necessary
>>
>>2321675
Mammoths can only breed once a year, but tend to do so less than that due to the time it takes to raise a baby. That's one of the main hypotheses out now, because even if humans only hunted one mammoth per year, that could still lead to a considerable population drop within just a few years
>>
>>2320299
In many regions, North America especially, the native plants' fruit is evolved to be spread by browsing megafauna like mammoths. Reviving the mammoths will also help many struggling plant species, as such.
>>
>>2321675
>No animal aside from man could prey upon it.
We will rule this planet as father and son
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.