[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helping a tethered cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IDA-rescued chained cat.jpg (67KB, 864x578px) Image search: [Google]
IDA-rescued chained cat.jpg
67KB, 864x578px
Good evening /an/, my parents keep a cat tethered in their farm. I'd like to rescue him and turn him into an happy friendly home cat.
I had him fixed by the vet but he's quite agressive without warning and I don't know why. He attacks my other cat, and sometimes when he's being petted he bites me out of a sudden.

What can I do to make him less aggressive? He went back to the farm since my parents saw I couldn't rehabilitate him, but I want to give him a second chance. Please tell me what to do /an/, he's been chained to his little house for months and I want to help this cat and my parents to treat their critters better.
>>
Call the authorities.
>>
Spend more time with him... There's no miracle. Just hope, be a responsible owner and wait
>>
>>2319388
>when he's being petted he bites me out of a sudden
There may not be much helping with this. Sometimes cats are considered over-stimulated, and when they get pet too much they suddenly can not handle it and turn to bite. It's like kitty autism, there's not much you can do except try to look for small indications that he is starting to get overstimulated, or pay attention to generally how long it takes before he gets overstimulated, and stop petting him before it hits that point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-yk1KxYX0

Ignore his hipster facial hair, the info is good. There could be a plethora of other reasons why he might attack due to the environment so you might want to look at some other relevant videos of Jackson also
>>
File: aueT2MH.jpg (35KB, 634x558px) Image search: [Google]
aueT2MH.jpg
35KB, 634x558px
>>2319463
Thanks, I've been paying attention to these signs and I get bitten less, but he has spurs of high energy where he runs back and forth, is it because he is under-exercised (from being usually chained)?

I've been releasing him from time to time in the farm house. But when he sees a door he wants to go straight outside! There's a REALLY dangerous highway close to the farm so being outside isn't desirable (hence why my parents chained him outside), what do I do to keep in indoors and never want to leave? Also, how do I make my parents appreciate this cat?

>>2319412
My parents are really old so they don't know better, I was also dumb and not aware of the wrong they're doing until I read more about animals and their psychological needs. I want to show them it's possible to have a well behaved cat indoors. They also have two dogs on their backyard that crave for attention, I plan to rehabilitate them next.
How hard is to teach 2 adult dogs to do their business outside (through rewards/positive reinforcement)?
>>
problem with cats is that they are not inherently "tame" like dogs are, if a cat doesn't get proper human contact in its early years it will essentially be feral, at least partially, and will never normalize.
>>
>>2319487
It's probably going insane over a mix of lack of mental and physical stimulation. If you bring him indoors, don't expect that insanity to go away in a single day. It might take a while. Get some toys to play with. You don't have to buy any toys, the best toys are free. Boxes and paper bags are a favorite, I made a little club house for my cat out of boxes. Caps from bottles and twistie ties can be used as toys, and obviously string too. I used to ball up aluminum foil at one end of the string. Just look up DIY Cat toys there's honestly too many to list.

As for darting for the door; the outdoors is unlimited mental stimulation for cats. It's like if you give a young kid a really cool video game, a mistake I recently made. The child becomes absolutely obsessed because the game is so stimulating. The same thing happens with cats. There's a few things to keep in mind; if you break once and let the cat out, it becomes much harder to get him satisfied with staying inside. The trick is to get him used to the indoors, not to have him beg to get outside. The next one, the harder part IMO, is to keep him occupied. Playing with him will help with this a lot. I'd honestly suggest giving him a cup or half a cup of cat food, however much he is supposed to be eating, and putting it in a food puzzle of some sort to help with mental stimulation. You could also leave a window open if you have a screen, or if you want to get real fancy look into 'cat balconies'
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.