[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

pet friendly appartments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2724.jpg (1MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2724.jpg
1MB, 3456x2304px
since it's a long story I'll just leave it at, I'm 19 and have to move out of my folk's place and need to take the family dog with me who is a 12 year old pitbull/labrador with medical conditions that they are not willing to deal with. He's stable now but needs daily care (medicated baths, medication, eye ointment, etc) that I know they cannot/are not willing to provide and I've been his caretaker. However I'm also a student and not making a ton of money atm, so the list of apartments I can realistically rent is limited

the apartments I can find that allow pets still have breed restrictions or say under 30 lbs and he is 63 lbs, but if I have the landlord meet him and see that he's just an extremely friendly/laid back blind old dog that spends most of his time sleeping, do you think they would be willing to possibly make an exception? anyone with first hand experience would be great

>nb4 just give him to someone else
I literally can't. My dad is out of town for work 2 weeks at a time, my brothers live in rentals that don't allow any pets at all, my boyfriend lives in an area that bans pitbulls, and none of my friends can take on a dog with as many needs as him. I can't give him to a shelter because I know that they can't realistically place him due to age/breed/medical and he will be put down. All of his vet records say pitbull/mix and that what he's licensed as too

I'm open to any suggestions /an/, and I'm getting desperate. we adopted him at 6 weeks old from the pound, I can't abandon him now. if it helps, I'm located in central oregon.

pic related. him when he was younger with my old lady cat before she died
>>
>>2315696
>but if I have the landlord meet him and see that he's just an extremely friendly/laid back blind old dog that spends most of his time sleeping, do you think they would be willing to possibly make an exception
some are more likely than others but obviously it can't hurt.

also, regarding vet records--contact your vet and see if they'll write a letter for you 1) vouching for his temperament and 2) either downplaying the pitbull stuff or straight up saying "lab mix" instead of pit mix.

a lot of the time, apartments ban pit mixes not because of their personal biases but because of their insurance company. pits are an insurance liability for most of them. push comes to shove, you can see if paying a small extra deposit will sway the landlords' decision. the worst you can get is "I'm sorry, we just can't".
>>
yes. if you come across as a clean, quiet reasonable person and your dog is the same, many landlords will make an exemption for you, especially if you are honest up front
>>
>>2315707
>contact your vet and see if they'll write a letter for you 1) vouching for his temperament and 2) either downplaying the pitbull stuff or straight up saying "lab mix" instead of pit mix.
they have already told me that they can't change his records. maybe it's because I got to a VCA vet? idk. but they all love him there, no matter how much they have to poke or prod him he's been an angel with them. Two of the vets and several vet techs already told me they would be "character witnesses" so to speak

would it be a good idea to call the apartment management and explain this to them before I even apply? or wait until they ask me about him?
>>
I forgot to add that I'm even more restricted because he has a hard time getting up/down stairs, so I either need to rent somewhere on a 1st floor or has a ramp/elevator

>>2315707
>you can see if paying a small extra deposit will sway the landlords' decision
well my brother is loaded and feels really bad about not being able to help him, so he's giving me 3k to help with moving expenses, so if that's what it takes that will be no problem

>>2315712
he's very quiet, 100% potty trained, and neutered. and like I said he mostly just sleeps anyway unless I'm actually with him. everyone is telling me it's stupid to make a fuss over taking him with since he probably is going to only live another 2 to 3 years comfortably but.. idk. I'm not going to just give up on him. It doesn't feel right
>>
Apartments are uptight as fuck and will charge you so much extra, pet rent and shit is de rigeur around here anyway (Seattle). You can more or less kiss your security "deposit" goodbye when moving out if you had a pet.

Best bet is to rent a room / basement from a house owner who also has a pet. Then you can share in pet sitting too when either is away from the house. Good luck on your search, I hope it's not in a hurry.
>>
>>2315714
You don't have to have the vet records changed. Most apartments don't even request vet records unless they're making exceptions and even then a letter will usually do.

My dog is 52 pounds, my apartment only accepat dogs that are 40 pounds or lower, but they made an exception for retriever breeds in the fine print. I called and asked about it, and they said they either needed a record or a simple letter from my vet verifying his breed.

You said yourself your dog is a pit/lab mix. If everyone is bent on their "no pits" rule you can say "lab mix". Because he is a lab mix.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.