[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Packy The Elephant, Age 54, Passed Away Today

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Packy The Elephant.jpg (64KB, 590x443px) Image search: [Google]
Packy The Elephant.jpg
64KB, 590x443px
Hello /an/. This is my first time posting here, but I wanted to leave a sort of memorial for a cultural icon of my home city (Portland, OR), a legend among zoos and a blessing to the animal kingdom.

Packy the Elephant was born just before 6 AM on April 14th, 1962. An elephant hadn't been born in captivity in the United States of America for the last 44 years, and knowledge on how long an elephant's pregnancy lasted was virtually unknown. His mother, Belle, taught zoologists and scientists that an elephant's pregnancy lasted about 21 months; over the course of his lifespan, Packy would prove this again by siring 7 children of his own, many of whom became the ancestors of captive elephants around the nation and the world.

Packy put Portland on the map with his size, durability, and natural charm, with people of all ages flocking the the Oregon Zoo just to see him mill about and trumpet. His birthday was practically a state holiday, and his family grew exponentially as he aged with grace to the ripe age of 54; one of the oldest elephants ever recorded in captivity, and potentially one of the oldest elephants to ever live on Earth.

Sadly, in 2013, he and his son Rama (who continues to live at the Oregon Zoo) were diagnosed with tuberculosis, and had to be separated and treated away from the rest of the herd. Both individuals seemingly beat away the disease and continued living normally, but while Rama has mercifully remained clean, Packy's symptoms returned in a drug-resistant form. Packy himself did not seem to be troubled by his disease, continuing his life as normal without any slowing-down or weakness, but zookeepers knew that it was only a matter of time for the big guy.

And so today, early in the morning of February 9th 2017, Packy was euthanized and left this world, positively ancient at 54 years old. He will be remembered as a legend and an icon, and will be dearly missed by all who knew him.

Thank you, /an/, for listening.
>>
F
>>
Hey, at least he got to witness the Ringling Brothers fall.
>>
F
>>
elephants are so special. RIP
>>
Beautiful story anon and sorry for your loss. All animals are sacred
>>
File: 1486592235341s.jpg (5KB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1486592235341s.jpg
5KB, 235x240px
>>2313768
F
>>
F

Eat peanuts in elephant heaven you glorious bastard

Also, this made me think; at a zoo, if an elephant dies, what the fuck do they do with the carcass? Like do they transport the whole thing somewhere or do they have to cut it into chunks to move it? Do they just burying it or does the body go towards scientific studies? I'm assuming the latter considering elephant body parts are probably not too common to run into
>>
RIP Packy.
>>
I know someone who volunteers at the Portland zoo. Didn't they just lose another elephant last year? I remember they went to the memorial or funeral for it or something. Man what is going on over there that their elephants are dropping like flies?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.