[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting a cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: 1485919237282.jpg (66KB, 437x437px) Image search: [Google]
1485919237282.jpg
66KB, 437x437px
Ive wanted a dog but i wouldn't be able to train and play with it since i work 9 hrs a day so a cat would be my best bet but i need some answers

1. Old cat or kitten. A shelter nearby has old cats but they arent very friendly while there's a pet shop that sells kittens for 25$

2.is it possible to hide a cat from management. Since i live in an apartment i thought a cat would be better here than a dog but they want me to pay and i think thats bs. Cant i say im temporarily taking care of it if i was found out?

3. Cost. Vet care, food, litter, around how much would it be monthly?
>>
File: CnCQO.jpg (76KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
CnCQO.jpg
76KB, 540x720px
Oh boy, here I go. Hope you can appreciate my lengthy response.

1. When you say "aren't very friendly", you do have to put into consideration that the Shelter is a stressful environment for the adults and will vary on their living conditions. Talk to the staff about each cat's story, that may give you better insight as well. Mouthy, grumpy, etc cats don't necessarily reflect how they'll be in a home environment and may be a result of stress. Kittens are easier to find homes for in general, plus I generally prefer adults as you're not raising them, they are kids after all. But if you're looking to get one from a pet shop, makes sure you know what's included. They may be inexpensive, but just like people giving away free kittens, they're likely not altered (spayed/neutered) or may be too young for it. Not to mention, what does it mean health-wise? Adopting kittens saves the cost for their surgery as well as any vaccinations which is a steal for the cost. Cat or kitten is a personal preference, but when the right one for you comes around you'll know it.

2. I suggest not. If you adopt most places will do a background check and landlord check, but some don't. In that case you can be turned down. Cats may be smaller than most dogs but depending on the cat they can be loud and mischievous and blow your cover in no time. It's just best to be up front and honest. The upcharge for pets has much to do with the fact that there's a higher chance for property damage. Cats are different. Hell, some landlords even make exceptions for outdoor dogs or experienced pet owners. The talk is worth having.
>>
3. This reflects back to what I said about adopting vs buying. Spay/neuter varies vet to vet but $200-$300 range would be appropriate. With cats, you can get by with just the once a year rabies shot. Indoor, outdoor, or both, get them the rabies shot. Indoor cats are just as susceptible to rabies, bats (for example) can fly into your home or the cat can dart outside. Possibilities are endless. The shot is proactive and better than having to put your cat down or have them die a miserable death. Proper kibble varies on how much you get. For my adult cat, a 40lb bag lasts around 4 months, maybe 5 (estimated $30-$50 range for the real nutritious stuff). Canned food is good for a treat here and there (when of age) so 50-75 cents per can. And for litter, Precious Kitty litter on Amazon is about $12 for 30lb bag which can last up to 2 months if not more depending on the cats litter preference amount.

Glad you are thinking this through and understand the commitment, Anon. You're asking the right questions, too. Wishing you the best of luck.
>>
File: U5wnQ.jpg (33KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
U5wnQ.jpg
33KB, 480x360px
By the way, if you get a kitten it wouldn't hurt to get them a friend while in their adolescence. Because if you decide you do like having a cat, enough to want to get another, you're going to want to start socializing them young. Otherwise, no guarantees.
>>
>>2312794
>Pet shop kittens
>$25
I'm assuming those kittens aren't part of a rescue
Just keep in mind those kittens will cost you about $100 or so to spay/neuter, $80 for it's series of distemper shots, about $30 for the rabies, and that's just the absolute necessities. God help you if the kittens have FIV/FeLV because then they are just an absolute money sink. When I was a kid I'd go trap feral and stray kittens with my uncle and we'd sell them $5 a pop to pet stores. Nowadays it's probably just some employee's oops litter, or at least I like to think they aren't still grabbing cats off the street.

I'll tell you what, it's not possible to hide a cat when you need to. If your landlord or someone he hired has to come in for whatever reason you're fucked. You can put the cat in a closet or bathroom of you know they are coming, but even then the cat will cry and scratch. You'll have to hope no one sees a cat through your window, and hope your cat is mute so no one hears it especially at night when people are sleeping. You absolutely can not have an outdoor cat and expect to keep it a secret so it would need to be indoors only

I gave you some of the absolute basic startup care costs, but that's not nearly all. You're going to have to buy litter at least once a month, probably more like twice a week. The shittiest liver killing food you can get will still be $20 a month, and kitten food will be a little more expensive. You really really need to save up at least $20 a month for emergencies to the vet. Not for routine check ups, but for accidents and illness so you don't have to stand around and watch your cat slowly die because you can't afford a vet. Many vets have an office fee sometimes around $100, call around now to get quotes to see what you can afford because a kitten will need 3 different vet visit for its series of distemper shots and then another visit to get fixed.
>>
>>2312794
i have two desexed male cats and they're full on homos with each other. It isnt any harder to take care of two cats than one from my experience.

I originally only had one and then I got him a friend, the first week of having two cats was annoying as they were establishing their relationship but now it's probably easier than just having one, as they get attention from each other.
>>
>>2313271
>>2312925
>>2312872
Thanks ive decided not to get a cat nows. I talked to management and they said no pets allowed which sucks but maybe one day when i move somewhere else
>>
>>2312794
Ragdoll cat.
Its like a small dog but its a cat.
>>
>>2312794
Go to a therapist and convince them you need a emotional support animal, most apartments allow emotional support animals, especially cats.
>>
Different person than OP.

I have 4 grand in extra cash.
How long would that last for a cat if you were not to do a shit tier job.

would 500 a month be good?
>>
>>2312794

get some fish
>>
>>2313584
As stated above. It depends on what kind of car you get and if they need to be spayed and vaccinated etc.

If they don't need any of that I'd say around £80 - £100 in total, I have 2 cats and we've trained them to shit outside so we only need food and water for them, obviously water is piss cheap so the food is what costs. And that really depends on how much and what food you need. Then for litter I can't really say as we don't buy any. However probably a bit less than the food cost.
>>
File: Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg (84KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Downs-syndrome-boy-300x200.jpg
84KB, 300x200px
>>2313376
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.