[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

im looking to keep a blue ring octopus, possibly the southern

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-Hapalochlaena_maculosa.jpg (19KB, 220x165px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Hapalochlaena_maculosa.jpg
19KB, 220x165px
im looking to keep a blue ring octopus, possibly the southern blue ring. i live in Australia so climate isnt much of an issue but how feasible is this? id get a large tank for sure, 4 foot wide. i know larger octopuses are intelligent but how does that scale down considering how small they are (10cm with legs i believe is the smaller species).

then of course keeping it entertained might be difficult.
>>
>>2312423
shit bait fuck off
>>
http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=348776
is something I found.
If you aren't a hobbyist don't even bother thinking about it. How much money are you willing to spend? I doubt that there's much information around on the tank conditions and diet needed to keep them alive and happy.
>>
>>2312423
I hate people like you.
>>
>>2312423
it's not that difficult. You need the usual, a tank, lighting, sand, salt mix, overflow, sump, return pump, heater, skimmer, a couple large pieces of live rock. Maybe a filter.

you have to have a sealed lid on the tank and over the overflow so the animal doesn't escape or get sucked into a pump.

you can't stack rocks because it will knock them over and break the tank.

you can't reach into the tank because the animal is deadly.

people keep them all the time though, not a problem if you know what you're doing.
>>
>>2312469
interesting read. as for you questions lm not a hobbyist and i dont consider them to be a hobby. it would be a single octopus that gets the commitment it needs. budget isn't really a concern ill probs get it a $400 tank and treat the water for copper and sulphates before putting it in. id give it toys for sure. large tank with a current situation seems like it would be agood set up

>>2312518
is a heater needed for octopuses? i live in their natural zone so i didnt think it would get that crazy considering in winter id just warm up my house.
>>
>>2312679
>is a heater needed for octopuses?
unless you keep your house at about 32 C you need a heater. The tank will be cooler than the rest of the house because evaporation.

also you don't treat water for copper before putting it in.

you need to mix RO/DI water with a commercial salt mix according to the manufacturer's directions. Or get water directly from the ocean. Any other choice will get your pet dead.
>>
Its a bad plan. Venom aside, you're looking at an animal that will even with perfect care probably die within a few months from straight up old age. Thats assuming it lives that long, since octopus that small can fit through damn near everything its likely to die from escaping or ending up in your filter or etc first.

Octopus are difficult and expensive to care for animals. Its possible, but you need to be experienced.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.