[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cats in apartments

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0029.jpg (109KB, 1100x619px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0029.jpg
109KB, 1100x619px
1) Is it cruel to keep a cat in an apartment?

2) if yes, does having two cats so they have company, make it ok?

3) do cats even have a strong concept of indoors & outdoors? Or are they content to be fed and watered
>>
>>2311434
Cats should never go outdoors
>>
>>2311438

in Europe it's not seen as neglect
>>
They don't have souls so who cares
>>
>>2311446
>ignorance is an excuse
Catfag logic
>>
>>2311446
in a lot of countries rape and abuse isn't seen negatively either.
>>
>>2311448
>>2311450

What's wrong with a European cat owner in a rural area letting their cat free to come and go?
>>
>>2311451

Nothing. I just think people are tired of hearing "Oh I let my cat go outside and it was run over/killed by a wild animal/disappeared, who could have forseen this?"
>>
>>2311434
1) No

2) Not adviced, cats are very lone territorial creatures. Unless you look up how to introduce them correctly, it could cause lots of trouble. They don't need to socialize with ither cats to be happy.

3)you know when you open a door for your cat, they go through, you close it, and they want to go in again? They just like space itself, they don't care if it's outdoors or indoors as long as they're having a good time.

>>2311446
As a southamerican who has to deal will fucking tons of people who think their cat becoming feral due to all the time they spend outside is ok, I can tell you it can very easily lead to neglectful situations.
If you're gonna have an indoors/outdoors cat, you have to realize:
-them going outside doesn't equal to them having fun. If you were to just stand outside your door just for the sake of being outside, you wouldn't inmediatly know what to do and could get bored just as easily as inside. You HAVE to provide stimuli such as different foods and toys.
-they kill local fauna. This could imply: the dessimation of endangered species (or the endagerment of other species); the spreading of diseases such as rabies; the spreading of parasites, such as tapeworms or fleas; them bringing the things they've caught into your house and ruining your carpet with, say, rat blood.
-they can fight other cats, with almost all the consequences mentioned above, specially if not spayed (could lead to the spread of feline sexually transmited diseases and unwanted kittens).
>>
>>2311465
Also, >>2311461 reminded me, they can die to wild animals or by human hand, whether it be on accident or on purpose
You can have a cat who goes outdoors, just spay it, vaccinate it, and know the kind of environment you're letting your cat go into. Don't be surprised if any of the aforementioned happens.
>>
As living in the inner city, I hate my faggot cat people neighbors who let their cats just roam around the neighborhood. Do that with a dog and he's gonna end up in the pound.
They're a nuisance on the ecosystem. they breed exponentially. They prey on native endangered song birds. They smell like shit.

There's a petsmart by me with a feral cat colony behind it in the ditch, where employees dump feed and made a home for then and keep it clean. Pisses me off to high hell. I wanna go smash the little fucks with a sledgehammer
>>
>>2311434
Pet cats are an invasive species in many areas and can be devastating to the native small bird and mammal population and the cats themselves are more likely to die or eat a poisonous plant if left to roam.
>>
>>2311480
Just tell animal control. Make an anonymous tip/complaint that there's a potentially diseased family of feral cats and one scratched a kid.
>>
>>2311480
Lol tell the people whats wrong with feral cats then. dont just assume they know the same shit you do dumbass
>>
Just make sure they have some form of stimulation, toys, perches, windows they can see out of is like television for them, especially if you have a bird feeder or something outside it.
>>
>>2311610
>implying they'll listen or give a fuck
Outdoor cats are such a cultural convention that many will think you're a retard for saying otherwise.
>>
>>2311434
>no
>depends on how big your apartment is
>no. As long as they have room and are mentally stimulated, they'll be fine.

If you live in a really small apartment look into getting an older cat. A kitten will drive you mental if it doesn't have room to run. An old cat will be happy just to be near you.

>>2311470
Fucking this. I don't really care if people let their cats outside during the day, I'm just so sick of seeing people whinge about how their cats died/went missing because of their own negligence. People letting their cats out at night is never okay though.
>>
>>2311434
I like those cat shelves, I kind of want to make something like that now.
>>
>>2311434
I've got an endless labyrinth under my house. They go in there but never seem to come back out.
>>
File: IMG_4556.jpg (970KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4556.jpg
970KB, 3264x2448px
>>2311434
I had similar feelings when I first got my cat. At the time I lived in a large 1 BR.

After a few months I felt bad for her. I recused her myself from a colony and I think she liked to be with other cats (I would see her all the time hanging around a selected few). So I went to a shelter and looked for a submissive male (there's some reserach that suggest Male-female pairs slightly get along better).

And bam! They are besties! They keep each other company. Sleep with each other, clean each other. It's very nice.

I just moved to a large 2 BR and it's even better. Just make sure you play with them, get them some furniture, and monitor their weight.

As for the outside, both of them were born outside. The female cat I rescued was around a year old, and the male I got from the shelter was taken in when he was 6 months. They never have been outside since and don't appear to care.
>>
It's probably a totally different relationship I have with my cats but I always let a window open (ground level balcony) for them to go in and out as they want.
But they are Stray cats that i allow to come in. It's been a bit more than a year since I first took them in, they spend most of their time outside and come not long after I arrive in the afternoon. We cuddle and I give them food.

I know an accident could happen anytime but you just can't lock in an adult Stray cat and I wouldn't be able to take care of them full time with my job.
You might say I'm negligent but they'd be wandeeing in the streets anyway.
>>
Just keeping a cat in an apartment alone with no other variables (I am assuming for example the cat is well cared for) is not cruel, unless maybe you live in a closet and Are unable to do something like OP pic to increase room for the cat.

Not all cats like company. Having two cats is only good for keeping the cats company while you're gone. You'll still have to play with both cats, you'll now need 3 litter boxes, it's just double the work, but they will keep each other company when you're gone. There may be more territory issues if your apartment is too small, making multiple litter boxes a must

Cats like to go outside because they are not receiving the care they need indoors. I believe they do have a concept of in vs out, but if you take care of your cat, it shouldn't care to go outside. They want their needs met, and since most cat owners are neglectful, cats will tend to find their needs outdoors
>>
keeping a cat in an apartment is cruel
to the people living there
who have to deal with the stench of a gross ass cat
>>
>>2311434
>1) Is it cruel to keep a cat in an apartment?
no, cats make for great pets in small spaces

2) if yes, does having two cats so they have company, make it ok?
unless they've been around each other for a long time, I'd highly recommend not doing that
multiple cats in a small space may lead to territorial disputes

>3) do cats even have a strong concept of indoors & outdoors? Or are they content to be fed and watered
cats are aware of what the outside world is, but as long as you regularly play with them, they much prefer the comfort and safety of the indoors (unless they grew up outside)
>>
I live in BC and if I lived in a house with a backyard I wouldnt let my cat out because its full of Chinamen here. They might catch it and eat it
>>
>>2311434
I dont let my cat outside because I live in an area with bad dog owners that have aggressive dogs
>>
>>2311451
decimates local bird population, don't do this
>>
File: 1467693655088.jpg (16KB, 180x192px) Image search: [Google]
1467693655088.jpg
16KB, 180x192px
cat love paper box, little space under couch

cat very love plastic bag and plant jar

as you see, tiny place, cat like, it good for cat

tiny home, no exit, no window = cat BIG love, is science

also if cat never outside, no killing pretty birds and raping other cat getting pregnant making lots of baby cat, get everywhere
then cat get infected because street is wrong, and then bite little kid and little kid get sick and then little kid die and newspaper tells of this and then mom read the the paper, get very angry, big beatings for dad
>>
>>2311711
cute.
>>
Free roaming cats are the happiest dont be a pussy hippie piece of shit and spout ridiculous nonsense that a cat isnt suppose to be in its natural habitat.. whats next birds shouldnt be out pooping on my car.. all birds in cages yeiiii
>>
File: cat-on-a-leash.jpg (444KB, 1500x1460px) Image search: [Google]
cat-on-a-leash.jpg
444KB, 1500x1460px
I walk my cat on a harness. I solved the issue.
>>
File: 1439238008737.jpg (122KB, 1278x1181px) Image search: [Google]
1439238008737.jpg
122KB, 1278x1181px
>>2314404
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>2311434
My cat live indoors in a tiny apartment. He seems to be happy but he feels very lonely since I am most time at Uni.
As long as you give attention to it, I think cats can adapt very well to living indoors. Introducing a new cat can be dangerous but it can also be something positive. Personally I think its better to raise cats that have known each other since they're kitten like sisters or brothers, I think its easier for them that way.

Pic related my cat doesnt seem to have anything to worry about
>>
I live on the 8th floor of my building and I can often see a cat in the building opposite standing looking out of an open window. I bet it wants to go out and explore. I think it would be cruel.

What would such a cat do all day?
>>
>>2311665
If you don't let your cat outdoors your restricting their happiness you nazi
>>
>>2315574
Or they could, you know just be staring out the window. The same way anyone likes looking out the window every once in a while. Doesn't mean they feel the need to explore or "muh freedom", they just happen to be fascinated at the sights as if it was TV
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.