[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hedgehogs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: 2yHWG.jpg (115KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2yHWG.jpg
115KB, 640x480px
does anyone on here know anything about hedgehogs? I want one but I have no idea where to start or if it's even legal for me to get one (i live in Pennsylvania)
>>
>>2310083
Quick Google search shows they're illegal in your state, anon. I know some people on /an/ have talked about bringing ferrets into CA and I'm sure they do the same with hedgies.

If you're serious about getting one, do your research. They require more specific care than other pocket pets, e.g. Their cages must be kept between 72-80F and they need a pretty varied diet to stay healthy.

Depending on how vets in your area react to illegal exotic animals, it might be best to wait until you're out of PA to get one. If there are vets in your area that have experience with exotic animals and won't say anything if you bring a hedgehog in (and this is something you must research and confirm before even thinking about getting one) then it could be okay.
>>
>>2310083
what >>2310170 said

also be prepared to spend a lot of money. hedgehogs arent cheap. i got my guy for about $225, which seems to be around average, not including the cage (they need a 12 inch wheel, no smaller and no wire as their toes can and will get caught, toys, an heat lamp that gives off no light as they are nocturnal, a hiding space thats big enough for them to move around comfortably in, along with additional hiding places like tubes and snuggle sacks, water dish or bottle and heavy food bowl, for the bare necessities).

Dont get a hedgehog if youre a very very busy person. They poop a lot. Luckily, they tend to keep it in one spot. Unluckily, 10 times outta 10, its on their wheel, so you'll have to wash it out with dish soap and water every day. Because they shit and piss on their wheels, their feet get all gross, so be prepared to have to wash their feet as well. They also require baths with unscented baby soap about once a month, but not too much bc they can get dry skin. If they do get dry skin, or they ge grumpy while quilling, put a little oatmeat in their bath water to sooth them.

As for their diet, their main source of food should be high protein, dry cat food. Make sure the main ingredient isnt "(meat) by product" or any other variation that isnt just "meat". You'll have to mix a few types together for him to be healthy. I personally use 8 different types and put it in baggies then in the freezer to keep it good for a long time. I also give him a little wet cat food (again, holistic is probably best), mealworms, steamed carrots, strawberries, cooked, unseasoned eggs and meat and a few other things. just look up whats safe for them to eat.

Be careful who you get your hedgie from. Make sure your breeder breeds out WHS (wobbily hedgehog syndrome). Sounss cute, but its basically the equivalent to MS in humans and is fatal.

If youre planning on getting more than 1, get only females. If youre planning on just getting one, (cont.)
>>
File: IMG_20161230_112651_531.jpg (2MB, 2304x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161230_112651_531.jpg
2MB, 2304x2880px
>>2310083
(cont) which is fine, get a male.

make sure they get at least an hour and a half of out-of-cage time a day. dont feel bad if you miss a day or two here and there, they dont really mind.

Anyway, i think thats just about everything. if you have any questions, feel free to ask

pic related, heres my boy. His name is Yojik
>>
>>2310193
First anon again. Couldn't have said it better! Perfect comprehensive guidelines. Sadly we lost our girl at 1.5 years to WHS. It's an awful disease and incredibly heartbreaking.

OP, follow this anon's advice and spend some time on hedgehog websites/forums for more great tips from other experienced owners. If you can find a good vet and a good breeder, that's a great start. Like >>2310193 said, the initial investment will be pretty high. They're amazing pets once you socialize them and they have a lot of personality. Just do your due diligence and you can be a great owner.
>>
>>2310083
DO NOT use cedar bedding. It will irritate the SHIT out of your poor hedgies lungs and possibly even kill it.

As far as I know, aspen bedding is fine, but someone please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>>2310204
yeah, aspen is best. i personally recommend carefresh, but i know it gets expensive. Pine is fine too, just make sure its froze first for mites, and cured because the oils can irritate them just like cedar does
>>
>>2310208
Carefresh is good! When we had our little pine cone we actually used fleece bedding. So I had several yards of fleece that I cut to the dimensions of her cage and would spot clean daily/change the fleece out every 4 days. Kind of a pain if you don't want to do extra laundry, but saved a ton of money on buying bedding.
>>
>>2310083
They run at the speed of sound
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HjATD1imGc
>>
File: IMG_0672.jpg (601KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0672.jpg
601KB, 1536x2048px
>>2310083
What the other anons said is all very good and true advice.

If you do want to try to get a hedgehog I think it's important to understand one thing though. When you first bring your hedgie home, it's not going to like you. Hedgies are animals that you need to do a lot of bonding with until they trust you.

It's going to take a significant investment and it can be pretty discouraging to have your pet hiss at you every time you go near it for the first few weeks, but it's very worth it. You just have to remember that these are animals built for defense and they need an adjustment period to feel truly secure.

Just let them sleep in an old tshirt and hold hem while you watch tv or do any kind of quiet activity and they'll bond. My boy was easily spooked and provoked for nearly 2 months until one day he just became the most chill hedgehog ever.

He pretty much hated me one day and then decided to be my best bro overnight. It was incredibly rewarding and I couldn't be happier with him as a pet.
>>
File: 1457645305869.webm (1MB, 404x720px) Image search: [Google]
1457645305869.webm
1MB, 404x720px
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.