[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinion on the kidneys of a euthanised cat.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: DSCF0925.jpg (1MB, 2136x2848px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0925.jpg
1MB, 2136x2848px
Do vets sometimes drop by in here?

I had to put my cat down on Sunday, kidney failure. Not the first time this happened to my cats, but this time degradation of health went very fast, and the cat wasn't old yet (about 8 years).
Through the last week, no matter how much water we would put into her, through drips, or tube, she would be very dehydrated the next day and lied as if waiting to die.
I didn't want to torture her anymore, so I put her down.

I wanted the doctor to open her up to check out the kidneys, but he wasn't very keen to do it. Also, I didn't really trust the doctor.

So I did it myself later, because I really wanted to know how was it possible for her state to decrease so rapidly.
Much to my surprise, the kidneys looked fine, but I'm no doc so I wanted to ask for an opinion.
Is it ok to post the pics here?
>>
>>2308192
>I didn't really trust the doctor
>continues to take cat to the same doctor
No wonder your cats keep dying.
>>
Ok i give
>>
You cut your cat open to look at her kidneys? What the hell?

Do you even know what you're looking for? You have to look at it under a microscope if anything to see problems.
>>
>>2308192
post cross section of katneys
>>
>>2308192
I'm not trying to be salty, but I find that to be a little fucked.
The cat is dead so what was the point in cutting up its body to look at its kidneys?

Didn't you feel any remorse for your pet? Your friend? Your family member? Also, again not trying to be salty, but how the hell would you know what a cat's kidneys are suppose to look like??? From pictures off google???

No dont fucking post the pictures here we don't want to see them. Please seek help. To answer your other question I have seen vet techs and vet students on this board. Additionally, FYI, kidney failure is extremely common in cats. Cats evolved from very hot dry places w/o much water and therefore don't drink much. They get a lot of their water intake from their kills....Today cats are fed dry food which is absolute garage filled with be very little moisture and carbs. Leading the cat to become chronically dehydrated, overweight, and diabetic....which all leads to KF.
some cats, due to genes, many be more prone to KF.
>>
I've done post-mortems on farm animals, wildlife, and pets. Yes, pictures off Google are great for comparisons between healthy and diseased organs. Believe it or not there are whole web sites devoted to just this thing.

Don't hate on people who are able to overcome their squeamishness and horror of a post-mortem when trying to better themselves and improve the lives of the animals under their care.
>>
>>2308363
If OP was smart enough to tell the difference between a healthy and unhealthy organ he would have done this. Considering he cut up a cat himself and then has to ask a Taiwanese Elderly Christian Dating site their opinion, I highly doubt OP is capable of feeding himself much less making a good judgment call.
>>
Post pics, OP. I'd like to see. It's not abuse or gore for the sake of being edgy so it's allowed. We also have predator/prey gore threads so it's not going to be an issue. If you are that worried about some whine-babies you can just host it somewhere else and link it.

How many times has this happened before? How many cats? What were you feeding them? Were the cats related? If they were unrelated I find this weird if it wasn't the food. Kidney failure, infections and UTIs are very common in male cats fed dry foods. Could happen to females too.

>>2308363
This.

OP wasn't fucking it. He opened it up to take a look to see what was wrong since the vet wouldn't do it. We have done this for hundreds of years on people and animals. If we didn't do it because 'they are already dead' then we wouldn't know nearly as much as we do in the medical field. Autopsies are very important and often reveal what we missed when something was alive. OP doesn't have to be a mortician to do it on his own pet. I've also opened up dead pets in the case of sudden or questionable deaths, as well as send pets off for more in-depth autopsies especially when it involved the brain or spine. I've found some things a vet missed when they were alive, such as tumors, internal infected area, blood clots, etc. I'm no expert either.

When it comes to working on dead pets, I see it as they aren't my pet anymore. They're dead and what I liked about them, and what made them a pet and living creature is gone. They don't feel pain and they really don't give a shit. I don't do this often or even every time but when I do I always shake just a little with the first incisions because no matter how long they've been in the freezer or checking to make sure they're dead, I'm always worried at first maybe they're not.
>>
File: kid1.jpg (2MB, 2008x1644px) Image search: [Google]
kid1.jpg
2MB, 2008x1644px
>>2308332
>Didn't you feel any remorse for your pet?
Off course. I love my cats, loved those who died, too, friends sometimes call me "cat mamma" because I found homes for so many strays, not counting those I took in myself. But after whatever it

was that made it alive it's gone, what's left is but an empty shell of flesh.

>Your friend? Your family member?
It's perfectly normal to do post-mortem examination of bodies to determine the cause of death.

You should also understand, that different people have different approach to death & corpse. For some it might be a saint object, for others, just an empty shell. Especially if you've seen some death

before. I had to put to sleep my beloved dog, cat, and I saw several of my family members after death. I didn't become desensitized, I just have a lot more distance now.

>>2308324
> You have to look at it under a microscope if anything to see problems.
Not always. Visual examination should tell a lot, especially if we're dealing with a case of such fast and drastic decline in health.
My previous cat who died of kidney failure, had several huge cysts in his kidneys, before I put him to sleep.

>>2308327
>>2308293
>>2308363
>>2308375

Here goes nothing...
Like I said, the kidneys looked surprisingly normal, as far as I can tell. The only thing that was weird to me, that they ware very hard.
I occasionally buy pig kidneys, and I know they are soft & somewhat flexible, those felt like, hm, like testicles, that's the closest comparison I guess.
But I'm not a doctor, maybe that's normal with cats.
I was hoping to find some stones, or cysts...
>>
File: kid2.jpg (3MB, 2647x1626px) Image search: [Google]
kid2.jpg
3MB, 2647x1626px
>>
File: kid3.jpg (2MB, 2146x2070px) Image search: [Google]
kid3.jpg
2MB, 2146x2070px
Full kidneys from both sides, before cutting.
They ware also very round, but from what I see in internet, that's the normal shape for cat kidneys.

Thanks for the help everyone.
My other cat keeps meowing, I think he misses his friend.. :-/
>>
Also, in case anyone asks - during the course of treatment (1,5 months), we managed to get the creatinine levels in the blood dropped from 8 to 6, urea levels from 270(!) to 160, the cat started to drink, started to eat (all that time I had to feed her through tube, or push the renal diet catfood manually into throat).
- For those who don't know - cats with kidney failure have high levels of urea in the mouth, so they don't feel the taste, and so stop eating.
The cat became hydrated, the urine became thick and she started to urinate like a healthy cat - rarely and a little, not a lot all the time.

Than - boom!
Sudden collapse, cat doesn't eat, doesn't drink, dehydrates in alarmic speed, despite drips & tube feeding.
And that, is why I wanted the postmortem examination - that was just too weird.
Maybe I should have went to a different doctor, instead of doing it myself... But I was just tired, and postmortem examination is expensive, I already spent a small fortune on all the shots, pills, drugs, examinations and drips.

I have to go for now, will check the thread later, thanks.
>>
>>2308389
make your cat a kidney necklace so his friend is always with him
>>
OP here.
I have shown the photos to a vet, and, well, obviously it's impossible to determine without histopathology, (checking out under microscope) but he has suggested that cat might have had amyloidosis. The tiny tubes inside kidney, the ones that come out from the main tube and normally spread out to the entire kidney, seem non existent, almost invisible. That could have been a cause of kidney malfunction.
>>
Kudos for op for going such lengths to identify what might have killed their pets.

Vets are people too, and they are fallible.
>>
I've never seen kidneys be so pale.
>>
File: images_0.jpg (7KB, 260x193px) Image search: [Google]
images_0.jpg
7KB, 260x193px
>>2308332
Lol you're a salty cunt
>>
>>2308332
>I'm not trying to be salty,
Yes you are. You are definitely giving it your all
>but I find that to be a little fucked.
No one asked you
>The cat is dead so what was the point in cutting up its body to look at its kidneys?
To learn something
>Didn't you feel any remorse for your pet?
OP made it very clear they feel remorse
>Your friend? Your family member? Also, again not trying to be salty, but how the hell would you know what a cat's kidneys are suppose to look like???
Do you know what the internet is? Lots of information out there
>No dont fucking post the pictures here we don't want to see them.
Don't speak for anyone but your own salty ass
>Please seek help. To answer your other question I have seen vet techs and vet students on this board.
Sounds like this board is a good place to find help. Also go fuck yourself
>>
>>2308368
>OP isn't a vet, but the fact that OP asked a question regarding animal anatomy shows they can't feed themselves

Solid logic
>>
Op did you dissect your cat yourself?

What was the setup?

Also, sorry for your loss :(
>>
>>2308808
Lol, now who's being salty, or at the very least overly critical.
You honestly find nothing unusual about cutting up your dead pet to look at organs when you have zero experience as a vet, or more importantly post mortem animal organ dissection?
I can easily see why someone would think that is strange. Maybe you are right they could have worded that post to not be as abrasive, but let's not forget where we are here. 4chan is not the place for thin skinned and easily offended people.
Just my opinion, cutting up your beloved pet to examine organs when you have no experience doing so is fucking strange, and getting offended on 4chan is pointless.
>>
You have to cook and eat these kidneys please cross-post this to /ck/
>>
>>2309355
>Op did you dissect your cat yourself?
Yes.
>What was the setup?
I had some modeling scalpels & surgical scissors from wh3n I was doing plastic models. It was actually very simple once I managed to open the body, that was a bit tricky to do without injuring the internal organs.

>Also, sorry for your loss :(
Thanks.
>>
>>2308809
>OP can't Google
>OP decides anyways to open up his cat
OP is very likely deranged but think what you want, OP
>>
>>2308192
>durr i take cat kidney home i kno better than doctur
Anon...

the doctor didn't want to open her up to check the kidneys because he didn't want to waste your money on a pointless post-mortem for an animal that died in one of the most common ways possible for cats.

Even if it wasn't her kidneys (spoiler: it was) what would that matter? My very elderly cat either has bowel lymphoma or granuloma which manifests mainly as nausea and weight loss, but spending a shitload of money to find out exactly what's wrong is pointless because treatment is the same either way. That's the case with a lot of problems with pets.

Also I don't care how used to death you are, doing an amateur autopsy on your pet is fucking crazy and you need some help.
>>
Some cultures sure are terrified of death.
>>
>>2309890
>the doctor didn't want to open her up to check the kidneys because he didn't want to waste your money on a pointless post-mortem for an animal that died in one of the most common ways possible for cats.
Actually the doctor yesterday (I was with another cat, blood control) suggested that his daughter studies veterinary, and they have practices, so they could have made histopathology for almost free... But it's too late now.
He was interested to look at the photos, it is a weird, rare case.

>what would that matter? My very elderly cat
Thats the point bro - very eldery cat. I had to put to sleep a few of my 4-legged friends due illnesses that come with old age. Few others died on their own from being old.
This is a different case. A healthy, middle-aged cat has a kidney failure so sudden & dramatic, even the oldest cats rarely don't go down so fast.
It bugs me. I wish I have spent those extra money on histopathology exam...

>doing an amateur autopsy on your pet is fucking crazy and you need some help.
No. It's not, and none of the doctors I talked about it ware shocked or disgusted. Quite the opposite, they ware interested - most professionals look with interest at rare cases, it's an opportunity to learn something new.

Though I understand that some people think it might be a sign of some sick fetish or perversion - it's not. It's a bit nasty but not as much as one thinks. And I'm not the kind of person that's afraid to get his hands dirty.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.