[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone picked up a stray kitten or pup from a stray dog/cat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

Has anyone picked up a stray kitten or pup from a stray dog/cat? Like they just fell behind and you grabbed it to keep as a pet. Is this messed up? I know a guy who did this and he defends himself saying he is giving the stray kitten a home.

Is it wrong to take kittens/pups from their mothers?
>>
The sooner the better. A stray kitten will quickly turn feral if not socialized with humans before 10 weeks.

After that it will be a one way trip to the pound, assuming it doesn't get splattered on the road first.
>>
you should either take in the mother and young or take them to a shelter

the only time seperating the mother and young isnt scummy is if the mother rejects the babies and they need to be bottle raised, or in the situation of feral (not stray, FERAL) cats where the kittens still have a chance of being socialized to humans and spayed/neutered and kept as house cats. Just snatching one of the babies and going on with your day is shitty.
>>
>>2307535

But aren't most stray cats feral? Like if they run away from you it's a chance they are feral right?

So in most cases, wouldn't taking kittens be good?
>>
>>2307540
a stray shy/scared cat that might take some time and food to warm up is completely different than a feral cat that acts like a god damn rabid raccoon from hell when you try to get near them. some fall in between but it's usually pretty distinct if you've had experience with ferals and strays

and even then with ferals, you would want to trap the mom as well for TNR purposes and send the litter of kittens for foster, not just snatch one and leave the mom there to keep reproducing. That's not good for anyone
>>
If I can catch the mom then I would take the mom but I've only ever found kittens with no adult cats in sight. Live traps yeilded no mom either. Just very angry adult cats, skunks, raccoons, rabbits, opossums, groundhogs and foxes.

I don't think it's shitty to just take the kittens if you can't get the mom. It's not fucked up. I have gotten these kittens treated, fed, washed up and new homes instead of being eaten, roadkill or mauled(very common in my old area). Getting them as kittens makes them more successful in being tamed and found new homes.
I've successfully bottle-fed week old kittens but I've never 'found' a litter. Just little lone kittens or someone shoved a litter at me without where I could even find the mom. Despite bottle raising I've never had a problem with the ones as adults in terms of behavior or litter issues either.

Stray dogs aren't common here and even if someone set one lose, animal control would just pick it up.

>tl;dr it's fine, but better if you can also get the mom
>>
>>2307532

my 4th cat i ended up having to keep after my nephew went snatched it away from its mom.

mom wouldnt take it back and i didnt have the heart to just let it die.
>>
This is how I've gotten all of my animals, pretty much. Previous dog broke off from a pack of strays and went up to my dad, lived with us for 14 years. Current dog came up to house and previous dog could not chase her off so we kept her.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.