[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions to ask before getting a dog?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (32KB, 480x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 480x354px
My roommate of 8 years moved out today and took the dog with him. I haven't lived in a house without a dog for about 12 years now, so things seem very lonely and quiet.

But I've never actually owned and been wholly responsible for my own dog. What are the important things to answer to myself before I commit to getting one?

Like, what's the average per month I should expect to spend? What are mistakes I should avoid? How do I keep it busy while I'm working?

General advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
>>
>>2304871
Get a breed with a similar energy level to you. If you are active and like walking/running/hiking get an energetic breed like a working dog. If you are lazy as balls get a dog that doesn't need exercise. Also be prepared to spend lots of time training it and just hanging out with it. You may have other friends but your dog has only you.
>>
>>2304878

Uhhh what dog doesnt need exercise?
>>
>>2304881
A botato
>>
>>2304878
>>2304881
I meant to type
>"doesn't need as much exercise"
My bad
>>
>>2304881
a dead one
>>
>>2304881
None.
Tired dog = happy dog.
>>
>>2304878

What are some breeds with lower levels of energy?

I work from home so I can afford to commit some time to the dog, but would ideally like to let it be a little self-sufficient since I have a backyard for it.
>>
>>2305276
If you're getting a dog, it needs daily walks, no matter the breed. This is not negotiable, even with a backyard.
>>
>>2305276
If you want self sufficient, get a cat and be a trash owner. Dog sleep require interaction and exercise. That interaction could be as simple as working on a laptop and letting him sit with you on the couch. Dogs literally exist for you. You are their entire world. It's not the animal for you if you want self sufficient.
>>
>>2305278

It's not a daily walk I'm concerned about, that's expected. A walk takes 20 minutes or so. A couple of trips to the nearby dog park every couple of days.

>>2305283
I know plenty of people who have decent dogs that get a couple of hours of interaction a day, which I could easily give while working, like you said, on a laptop.

I additionally have a roommate, so the dog wouldn't be completely alone... and my dad would love to have a dog to play with. He lives nearby and would come around a lot.
>>
Instead of getting a "breed" why not just get a regular mongrel dog?

This board seems to have a stigma against them or acts like they're "SOOOO UNPREDICTABLE". That hasn't really been my experience.
>>
>>2304871
I always recommend people that for a month before getting a dog to try to take a walk first thing every morning and a walk once they get home. 2x a day. If you can handle that good you can handle most 3-5 year old mutt dogd, if not you're gonna have to find out what you can handle and find the appropriate dog, maybe a senior. I would not recommend a puppy for someone who has to work daily and rents and is a new owner.

I don't have it right now but I have a template for a pet budget. You'll have to figure out what kind of food you're going to be feeding, and the feeding directions for that food, and take a guess on what your dogs weight will be. Theres the yearly vet visits and vaccines, grooming if your dog has hair that constantly grows, maybe nail clipping of you don't feel comfortable doing that. Then there's your one time expenses like adoption, bowls, leashes, surgeries, etc. And you also should save up for emergencies. I put $10 a month into a pet fund for if they get sick. It works out well because by the time they are old as balls and extremely prone to diseases and such I'll have enough money to diagnose and treat.
>>
I Did,Not Know That Dogs,Was A,Animal.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.