[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What all can I feed a Tarantula?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 233
Thread images: 69

File: maxresdefault.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
maxresdefault.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Picking up a G. Pulchra at the end of the month at a show. I know the basic insects from care sheets. However what larger prey items can I feed it? Mice? Anoles? I love feeding my Mantis Shrimp large crabs and fish hoping the spider is an equal monster with prey.
>>
>>2300891
>insect care sheet
>spider

I recommend an arachnid care sheet
>>
How about not feeding it vertebrates?
Would that work for you or do you need to jerk your dick to sadism and make youtube videosof live feeding with shitty metal songs in them.
>>
Nah, I'll feed it vertebrates. I get predators to watch them be predators. Lol I see my insect typo all too late now.
>>
You need to feed them insects like crickets and all that crap. Don't take my word for it, and if you really want some great advice go to like some tarantula forum.
>>
>>2300900
Feeding vertebrates to a tarantula (especially mice) as anything but a super rare thing isn't good.
Focus on actual proper ethical animal care, not being an edgelord.
>>
Calcium from vertebrates' bones can give them problems when they're molting. Adult G. Pulchras are expensive/valuable. I wouldn't risk it. Stick with dubia roaches.
>>
>>2300891
Fuck you, Infinix! It's. Been years! Please stop stalking me on /an/
>>
>>2301021
I think that has actually been disproven. Feeding them vertebrates is still an unnecessary mess though. Just stick with roaches.
>>
File: IMG_5601.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_5601.jpg
1B, 486x500px
If you get predators in order to watch them be predators and want to feed vertebrates,
just get a snake
>>
File: IMAG0182.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMAG0182.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2301079
>"suh my african brudduh"
>>
I've been wanting a T since I was eight, but my roommates are all birches about it. Any collegebros with any experience with this? I can't and shouldn't try and change what they like or what they dislike, but how can I butter them up to the idea?
>>
>>2301522
ask a pet store or keeper if they could let your mates hold one. most people lose their arachnophobia very quickly after that.
>>
>>2301526
That sounds well and good if only the nearest store I could get one wasn't in IF. Idaho here, Rexburg specifically. There's six dudes here in my apartment, but I'll ask when and if they'll go next>>2301526
time
>>
>>2301547
Hate posting on mobile.....
>>
>>2300891
How old is it? Grammostola species live past 20 more often than most others
>>
Bamping 4 cool spoiders
>>
>>2301522
Avicularia versicolor (Antillies pinktoe) is one of the best ambassador spiders for warming people up to tarantulas. They are a bit delicate for a first T though.

>>2301596
God I've had my G. pulchras for 3 years and they've finally reached 1" long. I feel like I'm gonna die of old age before they get all big and pretty.
>>
>>2300900
fucking retard edgelord. feed it what they arr meant to be fed or don't fucking get it.
>>
>>2300896
>>2300900
why do insects not satisfy you? they are living things too. the tarantula is still being a fucking predator when it eats them.
>>
>>2301900
Yokes, I didn't know they took tbzt long.

What are some faster growing Ts?
>>
>>2303030
The Grammostola genus as a whole is infamous for having a glacial metabolism. Adult female G. pulchras run like 5 hundred dolla cause they take like 15 years to mature.

Old world tarantulas tend to be most faster growing (but shorter lived). The more skittish, speedy NWs are faster growing as well. I only have one fast grower, a Nhandu coloratovillosus, it's reached 3" in about 3 years. I keep my Ts in the mid-70s and don't powerfeed, so that's not the maximum growth rate.

(pic isn't mine)
>>
>>2300896
Why does that make you cry?
>>
>>2303195
Not him, but excess calcium is bad for a tarantula and that's exactly what they get when you feed them vertebrates. Also unnecessary music on vids is always annoying. No sir, i do not want to hear your crappy 2nd rate indie metal.

Now, gp back to /b/ with your mediocre attempts at playing e thug
>>
>>2303076
>500 dollarydoos
Sweet jeebus
>>
>>2303229
He's bullshitting. Around 6 years is a more realistic span for sexual maturity and I can find multiple offers that are just a bit over 100.
>>
>>2300891
The biggest I ever fed mine were very large b.dubia and hissing cockroaches, but he was male, so he wasn't as big. A female might be able to do mice, but tarantulas are stupid, I wouldn't give it anything that can really fight back. Also it's supposed to be bad for them to feed them anything but insects frequently.
>>
>>2303030
Fast growing new world species would be things like L. parahybana (sort of), Phormictopus genus, green bottle blues, and Avicularia. Other species in the new world can also be relatively fast growing but those come to mind quickly and have straight forward care requirements.
>>
>>2303267
I've been thinking of getting an LP. Collegefag from earlier here. I've been researching these things since i was a wee babby snd i think i can handle owning one. I'm just a bit concerned about their temperament. I've watched vids where they seem docile as a rose hair, yet i hear from others that they're aggressive and nervous. Who has experience?
>>
>>2303240
Where the fuck are you finding adult female G. pulchras for around 100 dollars? Please share! Going from my own experience and other G. pulchra owners I've talked to, I'm not sure you could even get a male to maturity in 6 years by powerfeeding.

>>2303279
I think the big issue with LPs is the hair. I hear it's nasty stuff. Some people are more reactive than others, and your reactivity will build overtime with exposure. It's not uncommon for people who have been in the hobby for a long time to switch exclusively to Old World species because they've become so reactive to New World urticating hairs.

If you want a big, impressive T that is good for newbies, I suggest a Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee). They only reach 7-8" but they're pretty chill and easy to care for, cheap too. I hear they're fast growing for a Grammostola.
>>
>>2303279
Ive had a couple and theyve been ok. Had no issues with the hairs and the growth rate is pretty good. Not sure why youd pay so much for one since theyre easier to breed and thus cheaper than GBEs.

A. Geneculatas are as fast growing and same sort of care reqs. Mine was awful and did flick. A lot.
>>
>>2303516
How much do they usually go for? Prices in the padt seemed kind of all over the place
>>
>>2303195
It is the same as pulling a lizard apart bit by bit by little calliphers while, alive for fun.
Also bad for the spider itself.

I detest this grey area of animal torture.
>>
>>2303526
We'll I'm a Britfag so an adult is about £25-£35.
>>
>>2303543
I'm neither economist nor mathematician, but last I checked the pound equals roughly two dollars so we're looking at around 60 to 70 bucks. I cam do that.
>>
>>2303547
I cant help you with exchange rates boss. Working in a petshop with fish, reps and exotics i do know the mark up in retail and you're much better off buying from a show or a breeder.
>>
>>2303526
>>2303543
There's more to factor in than just the exchange rate, Ts tend to be a lot cheaper in Europe (with the exception of US-native species).

LPs regularly produce 1000+ eggs at a time, so they tend to be very cheap or even free. Adults are gonna be $100< though.
>>
>>2303656
>US natives being more expensive
Not true. I find Old Worlds and often Asian Old Worlds far more expensive on average than any US New World.
>>
>>2303634
Alright then. I'll keep my eyes open.
>>
>>2303915
Reread what he said, you misunderstood
>>
>>2303512
How much would juvenile and up cost for a chaco?
>>
>>2300891
feed it a cheeseburger and it will live for years
>>
>>2304197
All jomrs azide I've seen them be fed treats like raw pieces of pork or beer every now and then. Most T's only chase live prey, but some seem to know that the pink glob they're looking at is edible.
>>
>>2304199
>beef

Please do not give any tarantula beer.
>>
>>2300891
>wanting to feed mammals to a fucking spider
How does it feel to betray your own class?
>>
>>2304082
I'm not seeing any juvies for sale on my usual sites right now, but you could try the classifieds on arachnoboards. Slings under an inch are about $20-25 though.
>>
>>2304284
K then adults? I saw some for around 1e0, but I'm hoping to find cheaper
>>
>>2304314

Why are my fingers so damn big
>>
>>2304257
Feels good, mang
>>
>>2304082
My tiny chaco sling was super cheap [15, I think], but you run the risk of it being male
>>
>>2304315
That's probably the cheapest you'll find. They take a long time to reach adulthood.

>>2304933
Yeah, most people buy a couple slings at a time and hope one ends up female.

For any spider newbies in this thread, the preference for females is because males only live a year or so after maturing.
>>
>>2304933
Funny you say that. Google fu has shown me this breeder called j&t and their prices are dirt ass cheap. A subadult female l.p. is 50 bucks. Howeber, you do get what you pay for, so I'm wondering if anyone's ever bought from them here? The biggest reason why they seem kind of obscure is that they don't have a huge selection, but there could be other stuff as well.
>>
Theres never enough love for dwarf tarantulas. Some of the coolest and most colourful t's I've owned.

Heres a google image of one of my favs that ive owned. The Cyriocosmos family in general is pretty fuckin rad.
>>
>>2305101
How's their temperament?
>>
>>2300891
>What all can I feed a tarantula
Learn grammar before getting a pet
>>
File: DSC01479.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
DSC01479.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2305101
Cyriocosmus elegans is on my wishlist, I just wish they lived longer :'(

Unless you count Euathlus sp red, my only dwarf T is an Aphonopelma hualapai/mareki/whatever it got reclassified as in the taxonomy overhaul. As an adult female, she's a little over 1" long, so tiny and adorable.
(pic related isn't mine, i don't have a good camera)
>>
>>2305222
Ive had about five or six different types and they were pretty fucking chill. No flicking, no fear of maintenance.

>>2305339
Ive had one. They were rad.
>>
>>2305352
Can't easily disagree with a man whose favorite adjective is "rad."
>>
>>2304954
Frat. Arachnophiles it is, then
>>
>>2305357
Yeah sorry its just a word i enjoy.

Where do you live? I picked up an Elegana sling for £15 from a local show and raised it to adulthood. Dwarves in general are a type i rarely get to discuss with T owners - seldom online and never IRL. Had to basically convince a co worker to buy my dwarves when I was shutting down my collection.
>>
>>2305545
Ah don't sweat it. Rad is fine.

Anyway, I'm in Florida britbongbro. What about it?
>>
File: spiders.png (1B, 486x500px)
spiders.png
1B, 486x500px
>>
>>2305733
D'aww.

What species? Is it ypurd?
>>
my pretty girl

>>2305545
I always wonder why I even like dwarf Ts so much, since bigness is kind of the defining feature of a tarantula.
>>
>>2305926
Tha advantage of them being small is you can house so many more!
>>
>>2305926
What species? I presume she's a Texas tan or at least aphonopelma.
>>
>>2305931
This is a good point

>>2305940
Good eye! She's an Aphonopelma moellendorfi, from west Texas. I love working with Aphonos, they're so chill and easygoing.
>>
>>2305944
She's gorgeous. I was gonna get a g. Pulchripes this week as my firzt.
>>
>>2305960
Thank you. From what I hear that's a very good starter (I only have roseas and pulchras myself). If you're getting spiderlings, you should buy a couple of them.
>>
>>2305970
She's a 2 inch sexed female. She'll be around to see my kids. It's kinda funny how an invertebrate like this outlasts most dogs and cats.
>>
>>2306087
Do you have a name picked out for her yet?

Yeah, it's so weird to think I have 2 spiders that may be older than me
>>
>>2306100
>they might be older than me

Uhh.... That means they're at least 20, right....?

Anyway, I'm thinking of giving her a castellano name, seeing as how her species is primarily Argentine. Maybe Zulma or Mafalda.
>>
>>2306144
Just don't be gay and name her something like Charlotte or Muffet or Rachnera
>>
>>2306144
Yeah, female Aphonos are thought to live for 30+ years. One was kept by a previous owner for several years before I bought her 3 years ago. Which puts her at like 17 minimum, since she was caught as an adult.
>>
>>2306381
30? Nigga are you go real? Longest I've heard a tarantula live is about 25
>>
Anyone here have experience with goliaths?
>>
>>2306621
Not a lot of CB females from the really long-lived species have died of old age yet, so we don't have much solid data on it. Mostly just stuff like "well I'd had my B. emilia 19 years when she died, and I got her as an adult"

The guy who wrote The Tarantula Keeper's Guide thinks some of em might make it to 40+, but that sounds kinda optimistic to me.

>>2306964
Are you talking T. blondi or T. strimi, I hear both have nightmarish urticating hairs, but at least T. strimi won't drop dead if you look at it the wrong way.
>>
>>2307070
I was thinking stirmi. Are you referring to temperament or molting problems?
>>
>>2307186
Molting problems. Strimi is definitely the way to go.
>>
>>2301522
well, i mean are they afraid it is going to get out and bite them? Just let them know you are not going to be picking it up and playing with it like a hamster and they should be fine. Might not want to go into your room but hey.
>>
>>2300894
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>2300891
Do NOT assume that a spider is going to be comfortable taking down large prey. You can feed this guy crickets and roaches, and then once in a blue moon a live pinkie mouse but I do not recommend anything above that.
>>
>>2308398
Collegebro reporting. I've gotten my roommates used to the idea, but the owner of our complex says no pets whatsoever. Not even fish. Stuff sux, mang.
>>
>>2307452
All three species cap around the same size, right?
>>
Here's the new Holy Grail of Tarantulas anyway.

Everyone, meet the LSD Earth Tiger (Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus).

Price? About £230-£250.
>>
>>2309504
Had a landlord tell me no fish. Then I moved in my 125g. Told him he can either deal with it or kick me out. He ended up dealing with it.
>>
>>2309504
>¶not even fish
does the stupid fucking retard even know why landlords tend to ban dogs and cats?
or just apeing other landlords without understanding
>>
>>2309991
>>2310005
I spoke to my manager and she sympathizes with me (she wants a dog). Dunno how I'm gonna get the property owner to bend, but I'll find a way. I have the manager and the university on my side already.
>>
File: asdgfsg.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
asdgfsg.jpg
1B, 486x500px
my cutie patootie
>>
>>2309912
>lad earth tiger

I swear on my life, if that's the actual common name...
>>
>>2310140
I heard cinnamon morphs like her are pretty feisty. Is that true?
>>
>>2310145
Google it.

LSD Earth Tiger. Besides, if youre "in" the hobby you'll use latin more than common names for this reason.
>>
>>2309912
That little thing? Seriously?

Well, maybe P. metallica will finally become cheaper then.
>>
>>2310391
Well yeah, so many brachypelmas get called interchangeable names, to name one reason. I'm not technically in the hobby yet, but I've been on the sidelines for over half of my life, so I know how it all works for the most part.

And about our trippy new friend, even his Latin names is ridiculous.
>>
>>2310397
That picture is of a juice. They get around 5-6 inches and grow into different, albeit still crazy, coloration.
>>
>>2309912
what's that in american moneyz?
>>
>>2309504
my apartment allows cats, dogs and aquariums but the aquarium's have to be a certain size aka not big enough for proper care. funny though it lists types of animals and then says "and other exotic pets." I assume that includes lizards even though they weren't specifically named, but green anoles and some skinks are native here so I wonder if I could use that as a loophole.
>>
>>2310447
>how do I google exchange rates
Are you retarded, or just missing half of your brain?
>>
>>2310448
Technically it wouldn't be exotic so....
>>
File: IMG_9333.gif (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_9333.gif
1B, 486x500px
Looking at being a first time T owner.

Still deciding what I want, I was leaning towards G. Pulchripes, but I called the nearest shop and he recommended B. Smithi instead. Any opionions or advice?
>>
>>2310470
Both are good and both are expensive. Rose hairs are cheap as dirt, if money is an issue. If noy, I'd go for the g. Pulchripes for the size factor. Basically scroll through the good beginner genuses and consider priorities. Size? Cost? Color? Let these things guide your purchase.
>>
>>2310471
He mentioned rose hairs too, but didn't seem to optimistic because they are cheap.

Money isn't much of an issue for me, same with space. I realize this is a pet that I'll have for many years, so paying ~$200 isn't that big of a deal. I just want a fuzzy little friend with a good temperament.

When you say size factor, do you mean I should choose the G. pulchripes because it's gets larger, so it has that wow factor?
>>
>>2310474
It can get up to 8-9 inches. Breddy guf.

Don't worry about rose hair prices. They're so cheap because they've been bred like crazy for decades. Pretty high availability and demand
>>
>>2310478
Alright cool. I think I might start with a rose hair then, and get a Pulchipres if it goes over well.

Thanks for the info anon
>>
>>2310508
No problem, mang
>>
My little dude.
They're probably only about 8 months old. I actually have a pretty big fear of spiders, but owning and caring for a T has really helped with that. I actually thought it might attack me but it seems pretty passive. Really chill bro
>>
>>2310525
B. Albopilosum?

If so, you picked the right spider. They're renowned for being some of the chillest in the hobby.
>>
>>2310525
He looks way older than a few months. How bug is he?
>>
>>2310525
>8 months old
You mean you've had it for 8 months? Even assuming that its much smaller than perspective suggests that spider is probably at least 2 years old.
>>
>subadult fireleg prices

WILIKERS

Looks like I'm saving up if I want my dream spider. Any other poorfags waiting on financial opportunity?
>>
>>2310808
Been looking for my first OW and cobalt blues cost a fortune.
>>
File: munchie15-23-06.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
munchie15-23-06.jpg
1B, 486x500px
bamp
>>
File: IMG_9334.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_9334.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2310470
>>2310474
>>2310508
So I went to the cities yesterday to pick out my spider. I settled on a rose hair because she seemed very friendly, and didn't flick, plus being one of the larger slings, I felt more confident that she was correctly labeled a female. I plan on feeding her for the first time Thursday night.

I'll try to get a pic of her in her terrarium once I get home.
>>
>>2311903
d'aww

How big is she?
>>
>>2310146

Woah what, I didn't even know ts had morphs??? I don't handle her directly, but when I move her she seems alright with it.
>>
>>2311904
2"
>>
File: K9VlCYa.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
K9VlCYa.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2311906
Yeah, Rosies have two main morphs: default and cinnamon

>>2311908
Noice. if it's indeed a girl, you're gonna have her for a long time.
>>
>>2311910
>if it's indeed a girl, you're gonna have her a long time
I sure hope so. These things are adorable.
>>
File: inconsolable.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
inconsolable.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2311914
they sure are
>>
>>2311903
Here's her Terrarium. Left hidey hole is the cold side, the right one is above the heat pad. I put the ICU in there so she's used to it if she ever needs it. Plus, it's a free extra house.

I plan to get some construction paper to cover up the sides, because she seems to like scaling the corners, but for now, I just put a black box in the corner she prefers.

Any suggestions? I don't want to change much (or possibly anything), as I don't want to mess with her perception. I am adding 2 thermometers and a hydrometer, but those are in the mail. But if you guys think leaving the ICU in there is stupid, I'll take it out.
>>
File: IMG_9344.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_9344.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2311968
Stupid me forgot pic related
>>
>>2311969
>Heat mat

fucking kill yourself they don't need it and if anything it will put them at risk as spiders dig deeper when they're too hot,

get rid of it cunt.
>>
>>2311969
heat mat's a bit much. they're very hardy spiders and room temperature works just fine

>>2311974
Lordy anon, who pissed in your soda?
>>
>>2311974
>>2311975
It was suggested by the people I bought it from.
I live in Minnesota btw. 70 degrees is not a natural temperature here, at this time of year.

If it's any consolation, I haven't seen her much on the cold side of the terrarium.

I'd rather not have a frozen spider.
>>
>>2311982
Ah, okay then

Florida native here. I could house a Goliath without misting if I kept the AC off.
>>
>>2311991
I'll turn it off if I find out she's burrowing there too much. I think I'll put it on a timer on it anyways, so I don't leave it on overnight.

I don't really mind people sperging out over the care of my spider though. I've noticed those reactions are quite prevalent in the online tarantula owner community. I'm sure they care just as much as I do about the health of my tarantula.
>>
File: PB208131.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
PB208131.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2311996
>I've noticed those reactions are quite prevalent in the online tarantula owner community

What? That's odd. What boards do you go to? I've only ever seen people sperg out on YouTube comments.
>>
>>2311998
I believe it was arachnoboards
>>
>>2312005
Huh. that's funny. I don't frequent the place, but I've been there once or twice and I haven't had anyone sperg out at me. Curiouser and curiouser...
>>
>>2312007
I haven't made any posts. I tend to google any tarantula questions I have, and I guess I just end up looking for answers to inflammatory topics.
>>
File: P2125350.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
P2125350.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2312008
interdasting. I just usually go there for good pictures.
>>
File: IMG_9345.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
IMG_9345.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>2312017
Ahh. I was wondering if all of these were yours or if you pulled them. They're all really good shots. I still don't have any good pictures of my little girl.
>>
>>2312024
I WISH I had a Stirmi..

But yeah, she's adorable either way
>>
>>2311982
Unless your house drops below 60 that T will be fine without additional heat.

I live in MI and don't use heat for any of my spiders aside from the central heating
>>
>>2312027
YUUUGEÛ
>>
>>2312034
Alright, I'll unplug it until I get the thermometers in and I know what the actual temperature is, then feel it out from there.

I don't have central air though, it's baseboard, so fairly drafty in my home.
>>
>>2312038
Wut
>>
>>2312075
I didn't mean to add the u at the end.
That spider is huge.
>>
>>2312109
Biggest spiders in the world mang.
>>
>>2311982
>>2311968
>>2311903

I live in Scandinavia near Arctic Circle. Right now it's -17 C outside and my room temperature often falls below 20 C. I've kept all exotic species from deserts to rainforests for 5+ years without a single random death. The petshop you bought your shit from just pushed unnecessary and potentially harmful stuff on you, because they're in the retail business and clueless. "Cold side", multiple thermometers etc. sound completely retarded, and you won't hear that stuff from anyone with experience in the hobby. You really should've gone to a breeder instead and get a captive bred, actually correctly sexed and aged for a fraction of the price. You absolutely cannot trust the age or sex they give you at a petshop. People in this hobby rightfully avoid petshops like the plague. That terrarium is fucking huge for her. It's not like it will get lost and if you like to keep the terrarium as a house ornament it's whatever, but it is way too tall. Rose hairs aren't very adept climbers and vertical glass is tough to climb on for any spider. There's a real chance it will try to climb the walls, fall and injure itself. People usually prefer walls only as tall as the spider's full length for terrestrials. Here's a guy with one of the largest private collections in the hobby. You can see people usually keep their adult Ts in shoe box size boxes, or give them a deep substrate to burrow in.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Jon3800/videos
>>
>>2312132
I already unplugged the heat pad. I can't help the tank size issue, so I'll just add more substrate. As I've been finding out, most tarantula owners on the internet are quite hostile, with the occasional helpful person. Nearly all of the information I've learned is on my own because of that. I also can't find any breeders near me, google doesn't yield anything, and I'm not inclined to ask the community anymore.
>>
>>2312139
Just have someone ship to you.
>>
>>2312139
I mean you could just buy a $5 plastic box and return the terrarium, so there is something you could do. People in this hobby are often hostile towards repeated beginner questions, because all the correct information is readily available in text form and even on video on the internet and most of us went through it when we were starting, but people like you for whatever reason rather trust pet shops, who quite literally scam their customers and spread misinformation. Just google your species + care sheet and start reading until you find enough common information between the different instructions.

>I also can't find any breeders near me, google doesn't yield anything

What the literal fuck. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=cr&ei=ZGeZWP7XGeKC6QTw15HICg#q=tarantula+sale+shipping+unitated+states . Why do I even have to do this for you. I can't offer any reviews for US breeders, since I'm not buying from US, but I'm sure if you added "review" in that google string, you'll find reviews as well.
>>
>>2312143
Most of my research indicated that I should buy a heat pad. Better to have and not need as they say.

I meant actual breeders I could go to, and not have shipped to my door where it will then freeze to death before I get home.

But thanks anyways, I needed another poster to reaffirm my belief that this is the pet owned by the shittiest kinds of people.
>>
>>2312146
>Most of my research indicated that I should buy a heat pad.

I don't believe you. I believe you didn't do much research at all.

No one in the hobby considers them pets. No one in their right mind would consider a completely unaffectionate arachnid a pet. It's a just a hobby to collect, raise and breed them. Looking forward to reading your mom's angry comments on a tarantula forum when she had to return that pet rock when it wouldn't do tricks for you. Keep being adamantly proud about being misinformed and ignore the "haters".
>>
>>2312146
You could've waited 4 months to have it shipped safely.
>>
>>2312147
See, everything you posted could have been summed up in one sentence. >>2312141

But instead you need to sperg out about some strawman argument you're turning me into, just because I said the word pet. It's just three letters dude. Drink some water. Get some sleep. Go shitpost on /b/ in the morning and get it all out of your system.
>>
>>2312148
You're right. I was just explaining my rationale. DESU, I just really didn't feel safe ordering an animal in the mail, without seeing it in person. That seems irrational, I know, but at least I'm not Scandinavian tier irrational.
>>
>>2312151
To be fair, everything concrete he's said is still correct. The Youtuber he linked even has a Rose Hair care sheet video and he is well-esteemed and known in the hobby, at least here in Canada. You have done more things sub-optimally, than just buying a precautious heat mat. Everyone who's rude on the internet isn't necessarily out to get you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1UH2KDR_yI
>>
>>2312165
http://www.petsuppliesplus.com/content.jsp?pageName=rose_hair_tarantula

Just one of a few pages I've found that mentioned the heat pad. Which is now off. Not trying to say the heat pad is good, but more than one source mentions it.

As for the terrarium, I plan to rectify that with more substrate, unless you feel that's a bad idea and that I should just get a small one.

If there's anything else I missed, please note it. I didn't think the community would actually be this hostile about somebody asking how to rectify this stuff.

>Everyone who's rude on the internet isn't necessarily out to get you.
It really wasn't a problem when I was just reading about it happening to other folks, but my observation is that it seems to be the norm with this hobby. Besides, you can't really justify it at all when shit like >>2312147
gets posted.
>>
>>2312172
Well, that is a pet store and they do spread misinformation about Tarantulas. The only way to get reliable information is from experienced breeders and hobbyist. You'll be well off, if you just watch Jon3800's videos.
>>
>>2312182
I'll definitely watch those videos.

I'm just trying to get the best advice I can, and having somewhere to be able to discuss things quickly is nice, but I think it will be wiser to make a couple of forum accounts, and just use these threads for posting spider images.

I also have The Tarantula Keeper's guide, which I hear recommended frequently.
>>
>>2312191
Keepers guide is pretty much a T owner's bread and butter. Do what it says in there and ignore petco shills.
>>
>>2310451
I want you to do it for me. I'm too important for such menial information gleaning. I'll leave that to the stupid british peasants
>>
>>2312172
>petsuppliesplus
ohwowowowow ITA TITITIITMEMMEME
>>
>>2312027
I hear stirmis are way calmer than the other two theraphosas, is that true?
>>
File: IMG_4587_zps364a980b.jpg (176KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4587_zps364a980b.jpg
176KB, 1024x682px
>>
File: 010 (1).jpg (73KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
010 (1).jpg
73KB, 1024x768px
Pass the controller, bro
>>
>>2313253
those tiny eyes and big chelicerae make it look like a cute goofball.
>>
File: 8428789756_dd7303a9a6_b.jpg (184KB, 1024x773px) Image search: [Google]
8428789756_dd7303a9a6_b.jpg
184KB, 1024x773px
>>2313363
Many shpoiders have that
>>
>>2313388
>shpoiders
is that how bongs say it?
>>
File: 45fb7911.jpg (256KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
45fb7911.jpg
256KB, 768x1024px
>>2313427
No, I'm just being retarded
>>
>>2313428
I know that, you're just supposed to act offended in bongistani
>>
File: 0162.jpg (170KB, 1024x978px) Image search: [Google]
0162.jpg
170KB, 1024x978px
>>2313430
Oh right

OI M8 UR ONE CHEEKY CNT M8 I'LL HOOK U IN THE GABBER M8 I SWEAR ON ME MUM

How's that?
>>
>>2313431
good
keep posting spiders
>>
File: IMG_0193.jpg (180KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0193.jpg
180KB, 1024x768px
>>2313433
you got it
>>
File: toz07903l.jpg (331KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
toz07903l.jpg
331KB, 1067x800px
>>
File: uNWYYvI.jpg (1019KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
uNWYYvI.jpg
1019KB, 2048x1536px
>>
>>2301021
>>2301076
yeah i doubt they have the strength to consume bone.
>>
I've owned stag and rhino beetles, but never even held a tarantula. With the beetles, I'm not nervous with them because they can't bite (those big mandibles can pinch, but not hard), but a tarantula biting makes me nervous.

Are there species that like / don't mind being handled? Even if it's not a "beginner" species, I'm just curious if there are any.
>>
>>2313468
Look at some of teh GRammostola species

other genus to look out for include aphonopelma, brychypelma, and avicularia,to name a few. As for what to do, put your google fu to work. They're pretty easy to take care of
>>
File: P7221797.jpg (253KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P7221797.jpg
253KB, 1024x768px
>>2313573
>brachypelma

whoops
>>
Best tempered/Fuzziest Tarantula breed for a pet?
>>
File: 1430506362668.jpg (11KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1430506362668.jpg
11KB, 251x242px
>>2313579
>Tarantula breed
>>
>>2313580
Go easy on him salty, I think this is the beetle guy form that other thread.

>>2313579
First off, you meant to say "species."

Second, if you're looking for floof, go with Brachypelma Albopilosum. Google a caresheet and happy hunting
>>
File: 100_1580_1.jpg (171KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
100_1580_1.jpg
171KB, 1024x768px
>>
File: SDC16338_zps8ey0bzea.jpg (724KB, 1024x692px) Image search: [Google]
SDC16338_zps8ey0bzea.jpg
724KB, 1024x692px
>>
File: lasio.jpg (136KB, 1000x722px) Image search: [Google]
lasio.jpg
136KB, 1000x722px
>>
File: tblondi.jpg (107KB, 568x426px) Image search: [Google]
tblondi.jpg
107KB, 568x426px
>>
File: DSCF0832.jpg (130KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0832.jpg
130KB, 1024x768px
>>
File: Theraphosastirmi2.jpg (152KB, 1023x633px) Image search: [Google]
Theraphosastirmi2.jpg
152KB, 1023x633px
>>
File: munchie3.jpg (138KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
munchie3.jpg
138KB, 1031x773px
>>
post some arboreals, this is getting boring
>>
File: R4yOplc.jpg (752KB, 1490x1986px) Image search: [Google]
R4yOplc.jpg
752KB, 1490x1986px
>>2314266
Okay, but I don't have much
>>
>>2314267
>>
>>
Don't give it shit you catch in the wild, else it could get parasites.
>>
File: tumblr_nulntyKhjF1r03pk9o1_500.jpg (130KB, 486x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nulntyKhjF1r03pk9o1_500.jpg
130KB, 486x750px
So which species do this?
>>
File: Psalmopoeus-cambridgei2.jpg (416KB, 1658x1066px) Image search: [Google]
Psalmopoeus-cambridgei2.jpg
416KB, 1658x1066px
>>
File: S1800028_zps733c41a9.jpg (79KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
S1800028_zps733c41a9.jpg
79KB, 1024x682px
So, what's everyone's stance on the handling issue? A lot say to never hold them, others say it makes them more aggressive, and others still say if you hold them from the time they're a sling on up, they'll be used to it and even enjoy it.

I don't own a T, but when I visit by bud's house, he lets me hold his rose hair, and even though she acts all cautious at first, as soon as either of us strokes her front legs, she immediately loses all signs of cautious behavior and willingly climbs in our hand/interacts with us. What I'm wondering is if she's an outlier
>>
File: IMG_3010_zpsrnna3wyv.jpg (220KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3010_zpsrnna3wyv.jpg
220KB, 1024x683px
>>
File: Yivsjxol.jpg (87KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Yivsjxol.jpg
87KB, 640x640px
>>
>>2315135
Do you really expect an organism with a brain that simple to learn how to love you?
>>
>>2315535
Maybe not '"love me" per se, just recognize me.

I don't think they"love" the frogs they let into their burrows, but they do know that the animal in question is not harmful, and therefore nothing to worry about
>>
>>2315135
>>2315536
No, they are not capable of learning to recognize you or get used to handling.
>>
File: pajki007.jpg (126KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
pajki007.jpg
126KB, 800x600px
>>2315769
I guess. Maybe Rosetta's an outlier then.

Still though, there has to be some sort of cognizance there. Rosetta seems to always realize that me and my m8 are not only bigger then her, but are not threats. Same goes for Brazilian lesser Blacks who seem to know that the frogs they're sheltering are doing some sort of good. Don't read em wrong here, I'm not trying to present some sort of fluffy "oh they're just miniature dolphins!" rhetoric. What I am saying is that perhaps they are capable of just a little more than we thought. Not much, but just a little.
>>
>>2315882
Very interesting stuff. I've always had a terrible fear of spiders but I'm working to overcome that. I always thought you could handle certain kinds.
>>
File: YiuiOBjl.jpg (162KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
YiuiOBjl.jpg
162KB, 640x640px
>>2315922
A lot of new world species are receptive to handling, as far as mygalomorphs go.

Huntsmen are also somewhat docile, albeit very skittish until they feel how warm you are. At that point, they just kinda find a warm spot and chill there. Been in FL almost all my life, and I've been catching them and putting them on the doorstep for years and that's almost always how it played out.
>>
>>2315882
That's normal and common behavior for any calmer species. It really doesn't say anything about their cognizance.
>>
File: 8468c633.jpg (176KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
8468c633.jpg
176KB, 768x1024px
>>2315925
>That's normal and common behavior for any calmer species

What was, the taking in of smaller species, or recognizing me and my m8 are not threats?

Because from what I've heard, lesser-blacks are actually kinda skittish around humans, even defensive.
>>
>>2315928
I mean pinkbloom whoops
>>
File: brachy16.jpg (138KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
brachy16.jpg
138KB, 720x540px
>>
File: b.albiceps.jpg (293KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
b.albiceps.jpg
293KB, 800x535px
Gonna get me one of these soon. B. abiceps is really underrated as far as Brachys go.
>>
>>2317481
How much do they sot? None of the breeders I go to seem to have nay in stock
>>
>>2300894
I recommend adult literacy courses.
>>
>>2317908
>sot

ugh COST

i need sleep
>>
>>2317908
Kinda changes from breeder to breeder. The guy I usually buy from has juveniles for €35,- each.
>>
>>2317945
Wilikers, that's like $70 over here
>>
File: 8204282378_3f875cbb73_b.jpg (327KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8204282378_3f875cbb73_b.jpg
327KB, 1024x683px
>>
Bimp
>>
File: IMG_20170131_133724.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170131_133724.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2300891
If you get a big T the for sure you can feed it a mouse sometimes. Not recommended to feed mouse more than like 3-4 times a year. The fight between the T and the mouse can easily damage the tarantula (fangs etc.) And if you have any further questions I recommend you to join the Facebook group ,tarantula owners worldwide. Pic of my Brazilian white knee
>>
>>2320274
Ain't she just purdy!

How many do you own?
>>
File: IMG_1921.jpg (184KB, 1021x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1921.jpg
184KB, 1021x1024px
>>
>>2320274
Shit advice. Disregard OP.
>>
>>2300891
Tarantulas love cantaloupe
>>
File: Gnarled.jpg (20KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Gnarled.jpg
20KB, 400x300px
>>2321415
>>2321415
They like it because it putrefies and shrivels up like an animal carcass when the tarantula injects it with poison

It's like the same reason people like pizza so much
>>
>>2321417
>>2321415
Am I being trolled
>>
Are spider's good pets?
>>
File: 052.jpg (175KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
052.jpg
175KB, 1024x768px
>>2321473
Depending on the species, they are wonderful display animals and good pets, although that isn't always mutually inclusive
>>
>>2300896
I occassionally feed my Nepenthes robcabtleyi lizards. Should I try mice?
How does that make you feel?
>>
>>2321441
Probably, but tarantulas will occasionally chew/suck on a piece of fruit. Wouldn't recommend it as they don't need it and might have just been seeking the moisture.
>>
File: bluezebra.jpg (310KB, 1024x767px) Image search: [Google]
bluezebra.jpg
310KB, 1024x767px
>>2321510
>Probably, but tarantulas will occasionally chew/suck on a piece of fruit. Wouldn't recommend it as they don't need it and might have just been seeking the moisture.

Interesting.

I know you can feed them pieces of meat on occasion as a treat but I've never heard of them sucking moisture from fruit.
>>
File: 28474068023_f4ffc3cd85_k.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
28474068023_f4ffc3cd85_k.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>2321473
Depends on what you mean by "pet". Most of them are more like furniture. You can't really interact with them, pet them, teach them tricks or really DO anything with them. You feed them, observe them, keep them healthy and breed them if you want.

They make for very nice pieces of furniture though. Pic related, getting two of these soon.
>>
File: stripe4.jpg (180KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
stripe4.jpg
180KB, 800x600px
Zebras a cute
>>
>>2321507
I hope you at least kill them first. I have nothing against live feeding, but leaving an animal to starve to death or eventually drown isn't cool.
>>
File: dsc00582_2_mod.jpg (194KB, 1024x844px) Image search: [Google]
dsc00582_2_mod.jpg
194KB, 1024x844px
Should we have a Tarantula/invert general? Should we start one?
>>
>>2322970
We have them regularly but they die after a few consecutive threads. Probably because the invert keepers here are actually competent and don't constantly have problems like the herp and fish people do :^) (I'm kidding, I'm kidding).

But yes, start one, nice to see what other people have/are doing and there's always a few people that ask questions that we can answer.

also
>tfw someone snagged the A. purpurea from right under my nose
Getting two A. diversipes and two A. spec. amazonica in return as replacement is nice though.
>>
File: csc_0006.jpg (318KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
csc_0006.jpg
318KB, 1024x682px
>>2322985
Alright then. I'll make one after this thread capsizes
>>
>>2300891
why the fuck can't you just feed your animals like they are supposed to be fed?
>look at me, I'm so fucking metal!!

Do you really think that any Mantis species would be able to catch a shrimp/crab in nature?

Just feed it flies, wasps, bees, butterflies, moths or even roaches or locusts if you have a species that is able to take down large prey.

same for the tarantula, crickets, locusts, roaches, mealworms, morio worms,...

If you keep inverts, you sould replicate it's natural habitat/living conditions as perfect as possible. That includes feeding.
>>
>>2323035
>you sould replicate it's natural habitat/living conditions as perfect as possible

You mean I should put parasitic worms/wasps in there too? Or maybe catch a bird or two and let it eat my pet?
>>
>>2323009
Just make one now. No one is checking this thread and it's not obvious we're discussing inverts in here, especially now that the OP pic is gone.
>>
>>2323238
>this is his actual argument
>>
>>2323258
okay
Thread posts: 233
Thread images: 69

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.