[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/birds/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 117

File: 1476043556425.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
1476043556425.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Let's get a /bird/ thread going.

Post any questions you have about birds in this thread.

Share any pictures you have of your cute little buddies in this thread.

Here's my 2nd best buddy, he passed away this morning. My other tiel is feeling a bit sad and lonely, so I decided to DIY my own bird stand so she can have fun. Any tips?
>>
File: birb 1.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
birb 1.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Here's my other qt
>>
File: chubbychickadee.png (951KB, 817x592px) Image search: [Google]
chubbychickadee.png
951KB, 817x592px
>>2300737
favorite bird, see them quite often at my feeders even in winter
>>
File: 1484737914956.jpg (80KB, 680x535px) Image search: [Google]
1484737914956.jpg
80KB, 680x535px
>>2300737
Guys my Cockatiel is biting whenever I try to scritch him. How do I make him say my finger is alright
>>
Sharing some birbs that are for some reason atracted to my window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1a2KN4GwbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6-qhbJ3c8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0d8AgI_gDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFtkVCK_aKU
>>
>>2301050
he doesn't see you as friendly. where is he when you try and scratch his head? on his cage, your shoulder?
>>
are finches loud? I've never owned birds before and I like how small finches are thinking about getting some
>>
>>2301583
On my finger mostly.
>>
>mom keeps derping when cutting tiel's nails and he bleeds a bit
Vet from now on. It's kinda funny though, he will sulk at the back of his cage and then go for makeup kisses after an hour when this happens.
>>
File: Scratches.png (740KB, 654x892px) Image search: [Google]
Scratches.png
740KB, 654x892px
>>2300737
That's sad, OP.

The only thing I can really think of for a bird stand is a wide and solid base, so that it doesn't fall apart or tip over. You can always make foraging spots, bits of wood she can break if that's her thing, some climbing options, etc.
Try to make it modular to change things around maybe?

>>2301050
Just (keep) offer(ing) treats and such.

Mine isn't too big on scratches when she's out of her cage. She mostly chills with me, preening herself, I or going after my glasses.
Sometimes I just have to pretend to catch her for her to grab my thumb to receive scratches while I'm holding her.

Just move at your bird's pace.

>>2301604
Some species can be incredibly loud, some are quieter than most.
Supposedly Gouldian finches are more on the quiet side, but I'm sure some kind anon will be able to answer that better.
>>
I want a companion bird
But the smarter the bird, ear rape levels increase
How to start liking ear rape?
>>
File: video-1484807407.webm (3MB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
video-1484807407.webm
3MB, 540x960px
>>2301746
Yeah, I'm tryna handfeed him every day, evertime I go to scritch he thinks that means step-up and he goes onto my finger.

Have a webm of him attacking my mouse though
>>
File: Birb.webm (1MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Birb.webm
1MB, 640x480px
>>2301771
Is that a clipped wing? If so, that's a potentail reason for the biting. (instead of flying away if they were fully flighted, they resort to using their beak)
Where are you trying to scratch him for him to think he should step up? Acceptable spots to scratch are usually : head/neck/beak.
>>
>>2301793
Ah yeah it's clipped, the breeder clipped it not me.

I'm tryna scratch him on the neck. But he bites and then steps up.

I guess I should point out he's still 7 weeks old as well.
>>
>>2301795
>most likely not even fully weaned
>clipped

I'd say you can expect a few months (till he molts back to fully flighted) of biting.
To mitigate the issue, give him some room : let him roam on your arms freely, on perches, etc. If you want to pet him, don't force yourself on the birb, let him come towards your hand, otherwise you're just going to have a nippy poop machine.

You can always do some basic target training with a clicker and a chopstick, too, I guess.
>>
>>2301813
Yeah he just roams around on my desk. He picks at my mouse and keyboard.
>>
My bird hates me. I try to spend time with him but he always wants to go back to his cage, advice?
>>
File: birb tree 1.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
birb tree 1.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Any thoughts on what I've done so far?
>>
>>2301873
How long have you had your birb? Try hanging out with him somewhere far away from his cage?
>>
>>2301795
My little guy is about 8 months old and he still doesn't let me give him head scratches.
He doesn't want to be anywhere but with me at all times, but fingers are off limits for anything but climbing on

He had a mild clip, but most of his flight feathers are back in now and he can fly pretty damn well (Usually only from his cage to me or from me back to somewhere else on me
>>
File: 81BmxQiLgeL._SY550_.jpg (52KB, 353x550px) Image search: [Google]
81BmxQiLgeL._SY550_.jpg
52KB, 353x550px
>>2300737
Anyone use pic related? I try to take my bird outside when weather permits, and I can tell she loves it, but she puts up a huge fuss putting it on. Anyone find a successful way in getting a bird comfy with it? I don't want to get bit/get someone to help when putting it on.
>>
Requesting pics of birds preferably in hats or doing bird things.
>>
File: birby.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
birby.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
This is my birb when she was younger.
>>
>>2301920
Has your little guy learned to whistle yet?
>>
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPdPWLGhzUA
>>
File: IMG_0519.jpg (682KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0519.jpg
682KB, 3264x2448px
>>2300737
Very handsome cockatiel. They have an undeserved reputation of being boring birds. Same with budgies. I would like to keep one some day.

This is my GCC. She's not even a year old yet. Likes to act aloof but late at night she is very lovey dovey.
>>
>>2301929
Yes, he used to only whistle when I wasn't in the room but the past couple of weeks he'll be in a whistling mood and do so when he's perched up on my shoulder. I do try to encourage it by always replying back, still trying to figure out where some of his tunes are from
>>
File: IMG_0610.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0610.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
And done
>>
>>2302122
that looks very nice. I wanted to make something like this to keep by my desk but I ended up just putting the whole cage next to my desk instead, with driftwood sticks on top. She ended up rearranging them into a little structure that she sleeps in at night.

Anyone else leave their cage open 24/7? I don't have any other pets so its safe enough for me to let her have the run of the place. It also helps that she is semi potty trained
>>
File: Misting.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Misting.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>2301924
I intend to use one as well, haven't come around to buy it, though. Try making it like a game, plenty of treats? Might take weeks and all that.
I know mine is going to give me hell for a while before accepting.

>>2301925
Here's some bathing

>>2302122
I wouldn't trust the makeshift hook with the paperclip, good job otherwise.

>>2302150
Every time I hear people saying they let their bird out at night, it always reminds me of those horror stories about people waking up with their friend between them and the mattress...
>>
File: tumblr_n7r4837RYc1tu0z5no1_500.jpg (56KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7r4837RYc1tu0z5no1_500.jpg
56KB, 500x375px
>>2301925
God, I want a cockatoo so badly
>>
>>2302165
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRsfOGJ5lZg
>>
>>2302164
that's fucking adorable :3
>>
>>2302190
Eric the Legend tops all cuckatoo videos
>>
>>2302253
I personally like Max more
>>
>>2302253
>>2302263
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMEccNLXcQc
>>
>>2302150
I don't recommend that. It's great she can fly around at night but it's very dangerous as the other anon said. Just a few weeks ago an anon lost his tiel when he fell asleep and rolled over on them. Of course if you sleep in a different room everything should be fine.
>>
I know like 90% of the people here are parrot owners
but does anyone have resources for finding fancy pigeon breeders?
>>
>>2302658
It's pretty much a dead art in the states. Unless you live in a large municipal area that still hosts regular pigeon fancying cons you're fucked. Maybe Iran or some shit have more people interested, but otherwise.

Nobody wanted the relatively easy to care for domesticated species with cat-like lifespans, no, they had to have the flashy, expensive, hard to care for, hard to breed in captivity outlive-you parrots because muh mimicry muh colors.
>>
>>2302678
ah I see so I'm basically going to be relegated to craigslist, hearsay, and local bird shows then

its too bad, pigeons are surprisingly complex and intelligent animals
>>
File: image.jpg (332KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
332KB, 1600x1200px
Sooo my African grey has a ruined tail

The thing is we have no idea why her tail is so fucked up. She doesn't self mutilate, and we don't see the dropped feathers anywhere. My guess is that they snap off when she is wedged against the cage bars?
>>
So I got myself a love bird, he's starting to lighten up to me. I'm curious what snacks I can offer him. I saw some video of a budgie eating pasta, what other human foods can I do?
>>
>>2302678
There is no need to get butthurt. Some people will prefer things you don't. Have this cockatiel waking up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbbKSPkUPr8
>>
Hey friends, I'm looking for a picture of a green cheek conure (i believe) with a piece of loose leaf paper that said 'OP IS A FAGGOT', anyone have it? Would greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>2300737
Hi /an/, is getting a pet store bird a bad idea? I wanted to get a bird from a breeder at an upcoming pet show in my area, but I can't go because of work, and there's not many bird breeders around, so the only alternative I see is a pet store.
>>
>>2302961
Find them on Craigslist or Facebook. You buy a $20 budgie from a petstore and you'll get what you paid for.
>>
>apply to pet stores such as petsmart in area out of desperation
>note that I am experienced with birds
How soul crushing is this going to be? Beyond the usual retail suffering I mean.
>>
File: Young crow.png (2MB, 846x752px) Image search: [Google]
Young crow.png
2MB, 846x752px
>>2302865
How big is the cage? I think I can spot a bent feather as well.

You might have to move the perches inside and watch her closely, she might also be rubbing herself off.

>>2302868
Pasta, rice, popcorn, bread, cereals, sprouts, peppers etc. as long as the amount of salt, raw sugar and/or fat is very low.

Forbidden foods (from the top of my head) : avocado, apple seeds, chocolate, caffeine, alcohol, mushrooms, onions, dairy products, dried beans, parsley...

>>2302961
It's not necessarily a bad idea, but you can expect months before the bird warms up to you enough to accept treats from your hand in some cases.

I'd still advise contacting a breeder, even if it means driving/carpooling/taking a train.
That way you know how the bird was handled and that it is used to human contact.
Be careful with the ones who systematically clip a wing "to have them bond faster", that's just BS.

>>2303045
I don't envy you, that's for sure. I can deal with the retail BS, but it involves living creatures, here...
>>
>>2301760
Earplugs. I have a roll of toilet paper in the room so I can make earplugs whenever my quaker is out. She's a great bird though, super smart, and a real sweetheart.

My quaker likes to sit on my wrist all the time. It's cute, but can be annoying, since it makes it hard to do anything, and her feet/preening on my hands that are already dry and cracked from the winter means they're in worse shape than usual. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2302961
You could get a rescue bird, it feels great to give a home to a little one in need. I had to drive like 2 hours to another state to get mine, but it was more than worth it. Not all rescue birds were abused either, my quaker, Brimbles, was neglected (old couple had her, she was fine for 2 years, but got nippy, which is normal at that age but passes, and they left her in her cage for the next 3 years before she made her way to a birdie foster home), so she's really affectionate instead of angry, as the stereotype for rescues seems to be.
>>
>>2302658
I really want a diamond dove, they're so little and cute. From what I've read they're less messy (eats the whole seed) and less noisy (soft coos) than parrot types. I see them at petsmart pretty often, and it's really tempting to get one.
>>
File: video.webm (3MB, 320x576px) Image search: [Google]
video.webm
3MB, 320x576px
I may have picked up Satan. He stole mai waifu and now he's stealing my lunch.
>>
File: 1484009886232.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484009886232.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
>>2303252
Also update: He's finally letting me scritch him.
>>
>>2303048
The cage is big, but she fucking hates it and will cling to the sudes no matter what
>>
File: C0065 [Screenshot 00;00;01.067].jpg (186KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
C0065 [Screenshot 00;00;01.067].jpg
186KB, 1920x1080px
>>2301746
>>2301771
>>2301793
>>2302164
Why are lutino tiels so cute??
>>
File: Screenshot_3.png (222KB, 473x652px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_3.png
222KB, 473x652px
>>2303437
They're truly the best. Except mine accidentally drank some of my coffee.
>>
File: IMG_6733 (2).jpg (882KB, 2732x2428px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6733 (2).jpg
882KB, 2732x2428px
Anyone else have NZ birds?
>>
What are /an/'s opinion on single birds? By themselves okay?
>>
>>2303583
I think most people have a single bird
>>
>>2303590
I guess I fell for the meme. I was told that it'd be lonely and die when I go to work. Even though I spend time with it from when I get home, till I go to sleep. The gf always gives me shit and says it needs a friend.
>>
>>2301873
protip: nobody can give you advice from such a vague statement
>>
>>2301924
how bad can getting bit by a little bird be?
>>
>>2302253
>cuckatoo
>>
>>2302678
yeah the only other birds I see mentioned in these threads are finches. it's a sham. parrots are probably my least favorite looking birds too, but they are still great of course.
>>
>>2303045
it can't be as bad as how pet stores treat non-avian reptile :(
>>
>>2303252
how can such a little bird steal a whole dakimakura?
>>
>>2303605
I think that is just for lovebirds
>>
>>2303620
God damn it. That's what I got, I've had it for about a month and a half now. You think it's too late to introduce him to a new one?
>>
>>2303626
well it might already see you as it's mate by now
>>
>>2303627
I'm just conflicted. I want to have a pet that's bonded with me, but I don't want it depressed or bored. If I got a second then I have to go through the introduction, and even possibly rejecting.
>>
>>2303610
While I don't know their exact bird, it can be painful. Before my bird warmed up to me, he was very bitey. If he bit someone at the right place on a finger, blood would be drawn.
>>
>>2303615

The other choice would be plenty of wild birds, but most laws prohibit that. It's allowed in Russia though and there are enthusiasts who catch and keep them alright.
>>
Does anyone else collect their tiel's molted crest feathers and cheek feathers?
>>
>>2303617
Petco/Petsmart. Never again.
>>
>>2303640
Is the bird fine with you being gone for the day, is it okay with being in or out of the cage?
As long as they aren't aggressive, super passive, nippy or straight out plucking, you probably don't have to worry too much.
Some will be fine, some won't, it also depends on the bird's personality and the way you got it used to your presence.

What does your girlfriend do regarding the bird? Does she actively interact with it too to socialize it or is she just giving shit because of how YOU take care of YOUR bird?

>>2303610
My tiel accidentally bit me hard enough to draw blood once, slightly undershot a flight to my hand and had to grab on not to fall.

>>2303776
I collect some of the wing and tail feathers when mine's molting, the others are just too small to really keep somewhere.
>>
>>2300737
Sorry to hear that op.

I've always been fascinated with birds, and have had various animals which require strict care, however I'm apprehensive about acquiring a bird (I don't want a budgie, tending towards love birds and other intelligent ones) because I've read that they require a lot of stimulation. This isn't a problem for me since I work from home, but I was wondering if someone who hasn't kept birds previously could look after an intelligent one? I don't want to get a bird and it has a shit life or plucks its feathers or whatever, of course I want it to be as comfortable as possible.
>>
File: Birb7.png (1MB, 805x1697px) Image search: [Google]
Birb7.png
1MB, 805x1697px
>>2303994
Budgies are quite intelligent, they've been kept as ornemental birds because of their colors, but you can still teach them two dozen tricks if you take the time to do so.

What you should keep in mind is their lifespan.
A well taken care of budgie, tiel or lovie will live up to 15-20 years as long as they don't get tumors from overbreeding, freak accidents, or things like that.

The question becomes : "Am I willing to keep taking care of it even if I lose my job, have to move, find someone, get kids etc. for the next few decades?"

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything.
If you're interested in a species in particular, do some research, meet breeders, talk to owners.
If you're prepared for the bird, there shouldn't be any problem on the long run.
>>
>>2304036
Cheers. I don't just want to jump in to birdkeeping, and I have no species in particular on my mind. I just find them fascinating.
>>
>>2303975
Exactly the last part. I try and watch a movie with her and him and she wants me to put it back in the cage so she can try and cuddle. She doesn't live with me, so when I'm gone the apartment is empty. He's been playing with his confetti toy a lot, and I slit the blinds open for some fresh light.

When I get home I talk to him, do my usual stuff. When he chirps I say stuff back, and we back and forth like that. Then after dinner I take him out and try and bond. He's good on some days, others not so much. He's still kinda new, so he flys away sometimes but I get hi right back.

I'm not TOO worried, but it's always on my mind.
>>
>>2302865
Diet could be an issue as well.

Perhaps it's not getting everything it needs from what you're feeding it, from a nutritional standpoint.
>>
File: steve.jpg (50KB, 564x771px) Image search: [Google]
steve.jpg
50KB, 564x771px
Hey /an/, please advise?
I brought home a new tiel a little under a week ago, he's 8 and a half weeks old. He's fully weaned, very happily eats seeds and pellets on his own. The thing is since a couple days ago whenever he sees me he makes this raspy "reeee reeee" noise which the internets tell me is the "feed me, parents" noise. But like...the whole time! Sometimes he'll stop if I hold him while he eats or let him eat out of my hand, but often he just keeps doing it all muffled while he eats and then carries on when he's done. I've tried giving him scritches and pets and cuddles, offering toys, talking/singing/whistling to him, no dice. If I'm lucky he will decide to distract himself by chewing on my earrings/glasses/hair but that doesn't always help either.
Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just a recently rehomed baby feeling anxious and needy, and will settle down and stop once he's more comfortable here? I'm just worried there's something I've neglected to do for him, he sounds so unhappy making that noise.
Pic related, my handsome lil heartbreaker.
>>
>>2303437
It's a shame they die so fast
>>
>>2304323
The breeder might have rushed the sale, 8 weeks is young and can potentially lead to regressing (begging for food again)

If he's eating solid food on his own and is keeping a good weight, he is on the right track.
Make sure he eats enough, weight him in the morning to check.

Contact the breeder to see what he has to say about this, and if this keeps on (and if he loses weight), you might have to bring him to a vet to check for a possible crop infection or to do the handfeeding yourself.

>>2304353
I intend to keep mine for as long as possible, thank you.
>>
My budgie is making this weird "sucking air" sound, and her tail is moving up and down in rhythm to the sound.

I've never noticed her moving her tail like this

Is this just a sound birds make, or is something wrong with her?

She seems happy enough, when I changed her water this morning she climbed over to see what was up, just like she does every day. She's making her usual clicking and squeaking sounds.

I'm really worried about her.
>>
>>2304356
Thank you for the advice. I had no idea it could possibly be a sign of an infection. I've sent the breeder a message and will try to reschedule his first vet appointment to be sooner!
>>
Okay guys, I've asked this question before but didn't get any satisfactory answer so here goes again:
I've got a Crimson Rosella that is very fond of me, but as it goes with these birds, dislikes getting petted no matter how or where. The thing is, once or twice a day he'll come to me and start making this sexy bird noise that 100% sounds like he wanbts the D. When he's doing that, it's the only time that he'll accept getting petted, but whenever I touch him, the sounds get louder and lewder, he even puts his ass up in a clear invitation for sex.
The thing is, I talked with the breeder about it and he says that a 5 months old Rosella is still far too young to understand the idea of sex, much less ask for it. Also, it's a male we're talking about here, he should not want the D in any possible case.
I've got a video, but have no idea how to make it into a webm and a gif wouldn't have the sound.
What's going on with my bird?
>>
File: 1466983585201.jpg (26KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1466983585201.jpg
26KB, 640x427px
>>2300839
Never seen one of these. I though it was a marsh tit at first.
>>2301925
Here you go
>>
>>2304490
Apparently chickadees (like the black-capped pictured) belong in the same genus as the marsh tit, it's just I see chickadees because I live in the United States whereas from what I just googled marsh tits populate the old world
>>
>>2304353
What? I've never heard this
>>
>>2304367
Might be a respiratory problem

Get that checked ASAP. Better be safe than sorry
>>
File: IMG_20170123_210837.jpg (1MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_210837.jpg
1MB, 2304x4096px
>That feel when your budgies are finally giving up and they start eating formulated food.
Fucking finally, why are parrots so goddamn stubborn.

Also I don't have direct natural light in this shitty apartment, do you think using a reptile lamp is a good idea or is it stupid?
>>
File: bluetit.jpg (263KB, 2070x1164px) Image search: [Google]
bluetit.jpg
263KB, 2070x1164px
>>2304609
Yeah you're absolutely right, chickadees are even called "black headed tits" from where I live. Pic related is another nice one you can find quite commonly in Europe.
>>
>>2304890
Don't worry. I still can't get my cockatiel to eat anything that isn't seed.

>>2303619
Nice try, but mai waifu doesn't have a daki. She only has keychains sadly so he takes one and drags it around.
>>
File: Common sparrow.png (1MB, 656x783px) Image search: [Google]
Common sparrow.png
1MB, 656x783px
>>2304447
Streamable link, maybe? Pretty sure sound got disabled here for webms.
I'd have said it's trying to court you (in a very weird way), but it's only 5 months old, which is way too young for any of this.
Maybe ask an avian vet at this point?

>>2304639
Mutated tiels are seemingly more prone to getting tumors, but it doesn't seem to really have an effect on general health.

>>2304890
Parrots need certain wavelengths of UV, get one specifically made for them.
The ones made for reptiles also give off a lot of heat, which can be detrimental.
Make sure parts of the cage are well into the shadows where they can avoid the light for some snoozing and whatnot.
>>
File: IMG_20170124_155158.jpg (464KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170124_155158.jpg
464KB, 1080x1080px
>>2304931
Thanks for the input, I've been looking for parrot lighting and what I get is the picture on top, while I'm using the one on the bottom.

I'll get an specific lightbulb next month after my paycheck arrives.
>>
File: GM_20170124_101716.gif (2MB, 306x548px) Image search: [Google]
GM_20170124_101716.gif
2MB, 306x548px
Does /an/ bring their burb to work?
>>
Bye Gandhi, you were the best I could have ever asked for in a friend.
>>
File: IMG-20161110-WA0000.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161110-WA0000.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
>>2301925
Howdy.

>time to unleash my bird folder
>>
File: IMG-20160702-WA0009.jpg (186KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160702-WA0009.jpg
186KB, 640x640px
>>2305139
>>
File: IMG-20161227-WA0002.jpg (60KB, 522x563px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161227-WA0002.jpg
60KB, 522x563px
>>2305139
>>2305140
>>
File: IMG-20170105-WA0001.jpg (136KB, 1437x1134px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170105-WA0001.jpg
136KB, 1437x1134px
>>2305139
>>2305140
>>2305142
>>
File: IMG-20161126-WA0001.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161126-WA0001.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
>>2305140
>>2305142
>>2305144
>>2305139
>>
File: IMG-20161215-WA0000.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161215-WA0000.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
>>2305139
>>2305140
>>2305142
>>2305144
>>2305145
>>
File: IMG-20161008-WA0000.jpg (32KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161008-WA0000.jpg
32KB, 640x640px
>>2305139
>>2305140
>>2305142
>>2305144
>>2305145
Thatll be all for now. Will post some more later.
>>
>>2300737

bleh. im glad I gave my birds to an elderly couple. what a flock of destructive, noisy animals.
>>
>>2301891
Holy shit, that wallpaper
>>
File: WIN_20170124_12_01_25_Pro.jpg (231KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20170124_12_01_25_Pro.jpg
231KB, 1280x720px
>>2300737
my sister let her two budgies die and she got another one. if you can see the green on the bottom of the cage it is this bugdies shit. I try to talk to her about paying more attention to him but I just get called a cunt. Her reasoning for keeping it is for her own twisted mind set because shes dating a new guy and says if this budgie lives then we are meant to be if it dies we are not meant to be. She is delusional. If I give the bird to someone who is more caring then she told me she will kick me out. She has had him for a year and he is not even properly hand trained, he still bites what do?
>>
>>2305160
report your sister for animal abuse lmao
>>
>>2302906
>Some people will prefer things you don't

Yeah, like plundering endangered species from South American countries. Like establishing invasive flocks of parrots in the continental US due to their own stupidity and inability to cage their fucking animals.

The Hutu preferred genociding the Tutsi.
>>
File: received_1360377097347564.jpg (272KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_1360377097347564.jpg
272KB, 1536x2048px
Can someone please tell me what type of bird this is. I was given two yesterday, the other is a darker green with less color
>>
>>2305160
Either take care of it yourself, or report for abuse if you're really that concerned about its well-being.

>>2305234
How the fuck are people given parrots without any kind of information regarding them, and without warning, even?
Some require a very strict diet, among other things.

If I had to guess, I'd say juvenile or female red-winged parrot, with seemingly very badly clipped wings.
>>
Guys my birdo has passed away (posted a pic of him earlier). My mom is extremely upset--I am too, but she is EXTREMELY upset--and wants to buy another tiel immediately. What are some signs of a good breeder? Also is it a good idea to buy one so fast, I think she wants a rebound bird. We're replacing everything but the cage and scrubbing it thoroughly tomorrow.
>>
>>2305160

Your sister is literally psychotic and needs medical attention.
>>
>>2305286

Consider adopting a homeless cockatiel rather than buying one from a breeder. There are many lovely birds in need of good homes at shelters all over North America and I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true over in Europe.
>>
I love birds so much and I'd like to consider keeping one. I'm very familiar with handling and holding animals, so I'm not sure what would be a good bird to keep. I'm attracted to conures.
>>
File: c9AOkab.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
c9AOkab.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2305326

I'm gonna be real with you(and most others considering bird ownership in this thread), as a bird lover and a conure owner: you probably don't want a bird.

I love them. They're awesome, my boy is the cutest and cuddliest and quietest conure I could ask for and relatively easygoing about shifts in environment and somewhat potty-trained/very well hand-tamed. But he is an outlier and should not be counted.

I would definitely find a bird rescue and see what they have for adoption! Most will try to pair you with a bird that suits your lifestyle and ability to give attention and educate you on birds' specific needs. Or my locals do, at least. Do as much research at home as you possibly can, especially if you've never handled or owned birds before-- you might be skilled with other animals but birds are a completely different set of needs and body language that is mostly foreign to humans. This changes as you get used to each particular bird of course, but a general knowledge for some species is still pretty necessary.

Conures are great parrots! I love mine, despite some of the bad/annoying/painful shit he does. In general, conures tend to be very, very needy when it comes to attention from their "flock", and while they're notable for being silly and very friendly, they're also notorious for being among some of the loudest parrots out there. It's something to consider before you go out and pick one up-- you often don't realize what your noise tolerance is before you've had a bird.
>>
>>2305286
>>2305292
>Consider adopting a homeless cockatiel rather than buying one from a breeder

this, adopt a birdy or 2
>>
>>2305144
Good birds there
>>
My african laughing pidgeons have been sitting on their eggs for a while now, they're supposed to hatch within 12 days but i haven't counted so how can i tell of theres a baby dove inside the egg or if it's a dud?
>>
>>2304367
>>2304883
There's literally no birdo vets nearby, and my usual vet says they can't look at her.

I did some research on respiratory infections, and I'm fairly sure that's what it is. The "sucking" sound I hear is more like wheezing, and she's breathing pretty heavily.

She's still pretty active, though. Drinking a lot more than she usually does.

I've ordered some Zocal D and a prebiotic and prebiotic supplement that are supposed to help sick budgies. Will it?
>>
>>2305429
Hold light up to egg and look at opposite side of light to egg
>>
>>2305344
Thank you for the insight.
>>
>>2305234
Looks like it's a rock pebbler. Quite uncommon in aviculture.
>>
What are pigeons like as pets? Do they need a lot of room and attention? Are they prone to psychological problems?
>>
>>2305139
Thanks for the new hat bird pic anon.
>>
File: 20170126_132103.jpg (4MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20170126_132103.jpg
4MB, 4608x2592px
me and my Senegal browsing birb thread.
>>
How loud are African Greys my birddudes? I heard they are quite chill, is it true?
>>
>>2305965
depends how you raise them, is screaming gets you to come over they'll do it alot
>>
When did you first realize that your bird had bonded with you?
Mine one day came to my forehead while I was on the sofa and regurgitated food directly onto my face. From then on he only does it in my hands, which is a less annoying way to show love.
>>
>>2301771
>tryna

Kill yourself, nigger
>>
>>2305344
I wanted a conure at first, but quite difficult to find a decent breeder around there.

Eventually I settled for a cockatiel. No real issue and no regret, this far.
She will chill and cuddle with me whenever she can.

The noise level is quite impressive for such a small thing and really needs time to get used to.

>>2306493
Here's your (You)
Go drown in a puddle, now
>>
File: IMG_0047.jpg (753KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0047.jpg
753KB, 3264x2448px
My GCC after he got spooked by my dad's new shirt.
>>
Is there a way to train chickens to scare cats away?
Theres an uncollared cat the eats our chicken feed
Are there such a thing as guard chickens?
>>
>>2306936
Did your dad's shirt also scare your camera's resolution away?
>>
I used to have a couple of cockatiels

but they were vicious fuckers who always bit you when they had the chance. even if you were bringing them food. they were bloodthirsty douches who actually clamped down with their beaks. they never wanted to be handled or bro it up.

is this typical? what was I doing wrong?
>>
>>2307137
No, that's because my brother is a shitty photographer.
>>
>>2307035
Get a rooster? They're quite territorial.

>>2307159
I'd guess store-bought, never handled, and no one took the time to actively tame them.
Can take months if the birds weren't handled or handfed when young.
People just expect (wild) animals to behave like what they see in videos.
>>
>>2307035
Gee your chickens are pussies, mine scare the racoon off, and no roosters.
But yeah, a BIG rooster will do ya some good. You can totally get one for free if you check aroud
>>
File: closeup.jpg (549KB, 800x1014px) Image search: [Google]
closeup.jpg
549KB, 800x1014px
Have any of you clicker-trained your birds? How did it go? Is it ever "too late" to start?

>>2307159
The previous anon is probably right. Also, biting behavior often becomes reinforced the more they do it if you reward them with their desired result, such as pulling your hand away. Of course you don't want to let them make you bleed, so it happens.
>>
>>2307215
We aren't legally zoned for livestock, my brother got chickens for eggs
Can't have a rooster making noise all day

>>2307224
The chickens don't really care about the cat, that cat is more afraid of them
I just want the chickens to actively scare the cat away
>>
Birdfag here for IDs. No inmate parrots doomed to die worthless.

>>2300839
Black-capped Chickadee
>>2302950
Great Potoo
>>2303048
Crow sp. (location needed)
>>2303453
Kaka
>>2304898
Eurasian Blue Tit
>>2304931
House Sparrow
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 270x138px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 270x138px
The one thing that's leaving me hesitant to getting a bird is how much they shit. Do they do it a lot? How often? Will I ever have time I can just chill with my bird while not having to worry about it shitting on me?
>>
>>2307550
They shit like every 15-20 minutes but it's really easy to clean. It's not as gross as mammal shit. They will shit on you. It's really not that bad. You can actually learn the tells for when they're getting ready to shit and move them beforehand.
>>
File: image3[466].jpg (564KB, 1725x2620px) Image search: [Google]
image3[466].jpg
564KB, 1725x2620px
I'm currently looking to get a bird, I've taken care of them before but I'm unfamiliar with pricing. Someone's selling this to me for 70$ (I have different currency). What are they normally priced in the U.S.?
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 1600x1200px
>>2302004
Hey we have the same species

Great birds, I tell ya
>>
1 love bird or 2?
>>
>>2307660

Birds are sooo cute when interacting with each other
>>
>>2307630
You don't want an albino.
>>
>>2307679
Excuse me?
>>
>>2307682
Poor eyesight, higher chance of shitty genes, weaker inmune system.
>>
>>2307713
The person is telling me it's a yellow fallow african love bird.
>>
Is there a technical name for the facial feathers tiels have? They look so wise and dignified when they fluff up I can't handle it. It's like having a 19th century statesman sitting on my shoulder.
>>
File: 20170129_110102.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170129_110102.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2300737
What kind of birb is this? It was found in central florida i think its a ground or morning dove.
>>
File: 20170129_110136.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170129_110136.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2307745
Heres another photo.
>>
>>2307667
They tend to bond and become watch only pets when you have two but they are adorable still. Keep in mind they can become bonded and stay nice to you but they often dont want to play anymore.
>>
>>2307747
Have you really never seen a pigeon before?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_dove
>>
File: Birb5.jpg (116KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Birb5.jpg
116KB, 960x1280px
>>2307270
I use a clicker to train my tiel.

(I'm assuming the bird is tame, will at least step up and is accepting treats from hand)

"Best" way to do it is having the treat between thumb and index and clicking with middle finger.

Get it used to the sound first :
When it's idle on your hand, for example, or stepping up, click and offer reward immediatly.
If the sound is a bit too sharp, you can muffle it with a cloth or by putting it behind your back till the bird is used to it.
Some people also advise getting a "cat clicker", which has a softer snap.

After a few days/weeks, you should be able to move on to target training with a chopstick or similar (held with the clicker if you want a free hand).
It's pretty straightforward, say the command, have the bird take one bite of the tip of the chopstick (or just touching it with its beak), click and reward.

Just be patient with your critter, it's never too late to teach them something.

>>2307544
Crow's picture was taken in Western Continental Europe.
>>
>>2307035
Yeah but they're called emus
>>
>>2307842
I don't really understand the use of clickers when you can make a similar sound with your mouth and can use it to teach them just as well.
>>
>>2308198
The sound is sharp and cannot be mistaken for something else. I whistle and make sounds for other things, too.
Some people can't or can't be bothered.

As you said, if you can make a similar sound, it's going to work just as well.
I just like using mine, and bird recognizes it and knows it's training time when I pick it up.
>>
>>2304979
cute as fuck
>>
>>2305157
It's 8 years old
>>
File: 20170130_200301.jpg (544KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_200301.jpg
544KB, 2048x1152px
>>2300737
Here's my beeb. Though he doesn't like to be handled he loves to get scratched.
>>
How to deal with scared/hostile birds? i have a couple, the female is super hostile and the even huffs when she's afraid. they hate being handled
They are a month years old or so.
They look exactly like the op picture.
>>
>>2308402
Is this bait?
I smell bait.
>>
File: Capture+_2017-01-31-09-15-12.png (1MB, 1440x1989px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-01-31-09-15-12.png
1MB, 1440x1989px
Anyone have full res of this photo?
>>
File: MN4ZM8a.jpg (284KB, 865x1200px) Image search: [Google]
MN4ZM8a.jpg
284KB, 865x1200px
>>2308747
found it.
>>
>>2308748
Did you get this trump birb on /pol/?
>>
>>2308748
Yes, thread was canned so I could only save the thumbnail.
>>
>>2308779
>>2308782
>>
>>2307550
What the other anon said, and my cockatiel even makes an effort to position himself so he poops on the floor instead of me
>>
>>2300839
That's some nice cat-food you have their, Anon
>>
>>2301050
Maybe she just likes the way your finger tastes
>>
My kitten and my dog (1yo golden retriever) get along very well and cuddle when they see eachother in the basement living room, but the dog spends almost all of his leisure time in my brother's room where my cat has never been, and he can barely handle going a few hours without my brother. The dog has also never seen my brother and my cat at the same time.

If my kitten entered that room when my brother was there, would a golden retriever feel defensive enough to harm the cat?
>>
if I were to get a pal for my budgie (who is male), should I get a male or a female?
also would it be a bad idea to suddenly introduce the two birds and have them live in the same cage?
would it be better to get a second cage?
>>
>>2307721
fluffenchops
>>
>>2309061
Don't suddenly introduce a new bird, male or female. They might fight
>>
>>2302678
>tfw my grandfather bred racing pigeons and would take my sister and I to look at the coup when we were very very young and let us pat them

this image made me tear up

RIP grandpop
>>
>>2309204
so if I do I should keep them in separate cages, at least for a while?
and would a male or a female be better?
>>
File: 1485971948801586870991.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1485971948801586870991.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Overcome with grief I got a new tiel. How do I make his intro comfy? Had my last one 10 or so years.
>>
File: 1485988500373-279388857.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
1485988500373-279388857.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
this is my girlfriend's parakeet, egg. she's had him for a long while, and always socializes with him, but for some reason he hates people. he'll perch on a finger but bites the living shit out of your hand. he chirps and sings and grinds his beak and is healthy, so i can't imagine he's unhappy. also, lately he's gently nibbling fingers when you stick one between the bars of his cage. we're too nervous to let him out of the cage in case he flies away and gets stuck somewhere.

does anyone have training tips? or how to make him like us better? i feel like he might need a friend, but we also want him to be attached to people (namely, my girlfriend) and not another bird
>>
File: kyyhky.jpg (31KB, 552x600px) Image search: [Google]
kyyhky.jpg
31KB, 552x600px
Do doves make good pets?

Are they cuddly?
>>
>>2309255
Keeping them in separate cages for some time is best.

I'd suggest a male, unless you want to make a breeding pair, which would results in eggs, fertilized or not, possibly eggbounding, which can be fatal.

>>2309360
Same as any bird, leave him alone for a day or two, take care of his food and all that.
See how comfortable he is with your presence and work on trust slowly.
Being calm and having low noises levels will also help.

>>2309501
The issue has been brought up a few times in the thread.

Give treats through the bars, to make it understand that hands are a good thing.
Just take it slow, be patient, if the bird was bought in a store, it can take months to really warm up enough to see you as its flock.

>>2309520
I heard that pigeons/doves and chickens can make very cuddly pets.
>>
File: AA2318.jpg (116KB, 409x450px) Image search: [Google]
AA2318.jpg
116KB, 409x450px
>>2309593
Nice! Also how hard it would be to train a pigeon to sit on my shoulder on long train/bus rides? Or does one need a carrier?
>>
>>2309520
Doves make good wives.
>>
>>2309704
I'm looking for a husband, but fair enough Mr. Tesla.
>>
>>2309654
You need a carrier. Birds are jumpy, any noise might send them flying wildly
>>
>>2309654
As stated in >>2309725 a carrier is a must have, but you might want one that is dark and not made out of mesh, travels can be quite stressful for them.

You can find cardboard boxes specially made for small birds, but you can always get a regular pet carrier, as long the bars are closely spaced.

Either way, you'll need to take some time to get them used to it, but it's doable. Pigeons are more intelligent than what people make them out to be.
>>
File: IMG_20170202_155159.jpg (1MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170202_155159.jpg
1MB, 4096x2304px
New budgie.
She still has to bond with the other three and is afraid to leave the cage.
>>
>>2309777
That carrier posted actually looks like it has flaps that can be brought down over the mesh to darken it
>>
Are canaries good birds to keep for newcomers? Or should I start with a cokatiel or something similar
>>
>>2309360
His poop is green now is that normal for cockatiels? Like really green, even the water around it. He has been eating his millet at least. He was raised on a special complicated diet so I'm not sure if that's normal.
>>
Hey guys, need some advice. One of my lovebirds just died, it had been in a cage as a pair with my other lovebird for a good 10 years. I honestly don't know their genders, but they never bred, but they did get along and didn't fight. Also of note, it happened overnight so it's well aware its companion is dead and not just missing. So what do I do next? Committing to getting it a new lovebird companion isn't a possibility, assuming that would even be recommended. Its cage is right next to my cockatiel's, which has also been for a good 10 years, but they don't pay much attention to each other. The cockatiel is pretty calm and solitary, but does like to sing when there's commotion, including from the lovebird(s). Will the lovebird be fine living out its final years with this arrangement as long as it gets some occasional attention from us? My aunt has parakeets, will the lovebird be better off having some more active neighbors or will that just be making things worse because it's so used to my house and family?
>>
>>2310376
Just give it more attention, it should be fine

And good that you didn't think of getting a new companion, the chances of them fighting are pretty high
>>
File: 2014-09-07 02.28.40.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-07 02.28.40.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
So recently my little amazon passed away and i'm starting to feel pretty lonely without him, so i'm planning to buy another pet parrot to cheer me up so i need some advice if i should get a budgie or a caique(these are the ones i can get right now).
>>
File: IMG_20170204_094306_01.jpg (2MB, 3480x2483px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170204_094306_01.jpg
2MB, 3480x2483px
Caique dad found abandoned a little more than a year ago. Any idea how do I check it's gender?
>>
>>2300737
So I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but there's this odd little bird that lives in my back yard.

It's small, brown and kinda evil. I see it impaling rodents, birds, lizards, bugs and shit onto my rose bushes. Any idea what kind of sociopathic hell bird it is? I live in Southern California if it helps any.

If I happen to see it tomorrow when there's daylight I'll try to snap a pic of it.
>>
How can I prevent egg binding? Do I have to just stop them from mating? I'm scared to death of losing my girl ;_;
>>
>>2310031
Change in the color of poop means change in diet

Make sure he drinks water though

I just got a new tiel a few days ago, she didn't drink or eat until today, I basically forced her, had to hold the water and food in her face for half the day until she felt comfortable eating and drinking.
>>
>>2311066

Shrike family is known for impaling.
>>
>>2311066
Congrats, you found a shrike. They do this to keep food in one place and/or make it easier to tear into smaller pieces.
>>
>>2308822
>i just don't understand what this board has against cats???

>>2309225
I didn't know racing pigeons were used to overthrow governments
>>
File: BrownShrike.jpg (28KB, 336x373px) Image search: [Google]
BrownShrike.jpg
28KB, 336x373px
>>2311234
>>2311276
Thanks, yeah looks like it's a brown shrike - this pic I found looks just like it.

Which is apparently relatively rare in my area. I guess I'll allow it to continue to make my rose bushes look like an animal vlad the impaler reenactment.
>>
>>2302906
some people prefer murdering and raping innocent people. but different strokes for different folks amiright hahaha
>>
>>2302906
looks like trump, lol
>>
>>2304609
I remember chickadees because it sounds like they say "cheesey burger"
>>
>>2305160
fucking women. I had a friend who almost died in a car crash because her bf was driving high and she said that her living was a sign they were meant to be together forever. then he took advantage of it and started becoming more and more emotionally abusive towards her and they are still together because of her little delusion.
>>
>>2308748
haha drumpf btfo xSS
>>
>>2311017
check for dicc
>>
>>2311066
>>2311066
oh man shrikes. lizards are my favorite animals so those make me sad
>>
>>2307544
I'm back for more IDs. Again, no captives.

>>2311325
There is a singlel Brown Shrike record from California. They are native to East Asia.

You might have a Loggerhead Shrike (only CA shrike) or California Towhee. More details? Could also be a Phoebe or flycatcher sp.

>>2311349
fuck off underage faggot.
>>
>>2311066
>>2311325

>small
>brown
>carnivorous impaler
>SoCal.

Firstly, no way it's a brown shrike.

More info on the coloration and shape?

Sounds like it could be a young Loggerhead Shrike, Say's Phoebe, old something else.
>>
>>2311544
>>2311546
I haven't seen it today but it looks a lot like the pic I posted.

muted brown color, creamy underbelly, black wing tips, black markings on the eyes.

I usually see it in the afternoon
>>
>>2311017
send it to me i'll genetically test it for free
>>
File: IMG_20120418_012823.jpg (774KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20120418_012823.jpg
774KB, 2448x3264px
cave bird
>>
Got a one year old tiel as a present a while ago, how do I go about introducing it to veggies and such? She's somewhat comfortable (really depends on her mood, it's hit or miss).
>>
>>2311721
Don't live in the States
>>
File: IMG_0676.jpg (219KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0676.jpg
219KB, 1280x960px
My cockatiel is going through his first molt, those new crest feathers though
>>
File: ripinpeace.jpg (131KB, 540x743px) Image search: [Google]
ripinpeace.jpg
131KB, 540x743px
Is it normal for parrots to go crazy for food?
One of my birds goes apeshit if he notices you've got food on your hands, specially cookies and the like, and when I say apeshit, I mean that he'd headbutt into your hand and start screaming and fighting until he gets a bite, and if he gets it, then he'll start joyfully chirping as if it was the hapiest day in his life.

I could just cage him while I'm eating and that'd be it, but this is becoming a problem when i try to teach him tricks, because more often than not he gets too distracted by the idea that I'm about to give him a treat and ends up jumping onto my hand.

Is there any way to control this?
>>
>>2312890
Don't show the treats beforehand?

And also yes, birds go crazy for food
>>
>>2312952
I don't show them, though. He has learned where I usually keep them and when I'm most likely to have one ready.
>>
>>2301373
waowee i wish i had a window like yours
>>
File: Rth0.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Rth0.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
Tried to take a pic of this big ass red tail hawk today, but he was pretty far below me.
>>
Beeb just got himself up to his tallest perch, then flipped out because he couldn't understand how to get down (doesn't know how to climb yet, just jump). Mom spooked him into taking the jump and now he's eating. Is it normal for 4 month old cockatiels to struggle with climbing?
>>
Prehistoric birbs with teeth
>>
Hey dudes, I keep reptiles but I've been researching birbs for a couple months now and am torn between a cockatiel or a parakeet. Both because their easier to get a hold of and cheap-ish and because I like their size. So my question is which of the two make the best "companion pet"? Apologies for my lack of birb knowledge
>>
File: Qt Birb.jpg (158KB, 600x354px) Image search: [Google]
Qt Birb.jpg
158KB, 600x354px
>>2313289
Cockatiel, they're more sociable from what I've seen and if you get a male you can teach them to talk.
>>
>>2313239
>birds with teeth
As if they weren't destructive enough already
>>
File: IMG_0576.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0576.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2313301
>That pic
Perfect depiction of cockatiel behaviors

On a less related node, my little guy started biting my ears/face/neck whenever he feels like and hasn't calmed down with it.
It's been probably a month since he started and even though I either push him away when he bites too hard or put him in his cage he hasn't gotten the picture yet.
Any suggestions? I assume he's trying to preen me, going after facial hair and moles and whatnot, but there's a point where it's too much
>>
If i work full-time (40 hrs a week), i shouldn't keep a gcc? Or lovebird?
>>
File: IMAG2037.jpg (1001KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2037.jpg
1001KB, 1520x2688px
/an/ sucks at birds.
>>
File: IMAG2049.jpg (829KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2049.jpg
829KB, 1520x2688px
>>
File: IMAG2044.jpg (893KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2044.jpg
893KB, 1520x2688px
>>
File: IMAG1984_1.jpg (93KB, 974x1272px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1984_1.jpg
93KB, 974x1272px
>>
File: IMAG2065.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2065.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>
File: IMAG2071.jpg (851KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG2071.jpg
851KB, 1520x2688px
>>
File: 1106-140852.jpg (218KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1106-140852.jpg
218KB, 1600x1200px
>>
>>2311544
fuck off underage
>>
>>2314151
fuck off
>>
>>2312890

First, parrots are social as fuck, so when they see you eat, they'll want to eat to because you're all in the same flock.

Second, vitamin and nutrient deficiencies make you crave food items that have them. Look at the diet and see if you can find anything obviously deficient. Wild birds eat all kinds of shit, and that's hard to replicate using a store bought formula.

As for training, most pro-trainers will use training rewards as a meal instead of normal feeding in order to take advantage of the hunger motivation. Just be patient and wait until it figures out that behaviors WILL result in food rewards, and it should become more cooperative and willing to train.
>>
>>2313164
>Is it normal for 4 month old cockatiels to struggle with climbing?

Yes.

They'll figure it out, though.
>>
>>2313949
You'll be fine as long as they have a companion.

Don't keep a lone bird though, as they're very social, and they pretty much NEED to be around other birds or people.
>>
>>2314680
Could i house a lovebird with a gcc? And will they both get attached to me despite having eachother?
>>
>>2314746
>Could i house a lovebird with a gcc?

Different species? It could work, but I doubt it.

I'd go with separate cages at first to see how they get along, as different species can be aggressive towards each other over territorial issues.

As far as bonding goes, it's always harder to get birds to bond to you when they have each other, but if you actually give a shit about the bird, you'd understand that it's in the best interest of the birds that they have other birds to bond with, and not just humans that leave them every day for work or school.

Parrots are social as fuck, and hardly EVER alone in the wild, and always within earshot of their flock. Living a solitary life for them tends to lead to a lot of mental issues that can be avoided by ensuring they always have a bird partner around to call to so they don't feel alone.
>>
>>2314876
Thanks for the advice. I love birds, especially friendly parrots, but maybe they're not for me at this time.
>>
How do I into birds? I was planning to get one in like in a year or three. No rush. Where do I start reading? What kind of ride I'm getting into?
>>
okay guys i find birds cute as heck
i want a pet bird, but i doubt i could properly look after one, i live in a pretty small apartment and dont come home from work one day a week
;-;
>>
Trapped a couple days ago. Red-tail hawk.
>>
>>2315643
I like the face colors. Mine is a more normal brown-faced thing.
>>
File: 20170211_133431.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170211_133431.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2315668
Yeah, I'm pretty surprised and excited about the colors.
>>
File: baudo oropendola.jpg (54KB, 609x501px) Image search: [Google]
baudo oropendola.jpg
54KB, 609x501px
>>2301373
>>2313135
yeah, i could get super close to them as u can see, and they didnt fly away idk why...
For another unknown reason they quit coming; all of a sudden, the same way it started.

One of the last times I had a couple of huge parrots ramming hard against it.
Couldnt record the exact moment, but filmed them afterwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_LWSY2Dq50
>>
>>2315643

Good looking bird.

You a falconer?
>>
>>2315676

Nevermind.....
>>
>>2300839
do you ever feed them? so cuet...
>>
>>2301925
oh harro
>>
File: 1437845586305.png (636KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1437845586305.png
636KB, 640x480px
>>2315717
i'm dunmpong my birb folder
>>
>>2315717
>The counsel has spoken!
>>
File: 1430930751976.gif (2MB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
1430930751976.gif
2MB, 250x141px
>>2315717
>>
File: 1458418901524.gif (726KB, 240x152px) Image search: [Google]
1458418901524.gif
726KB, 240x152px
>>2315717
>>
File: rZQMUvG.gif (2MB, 245x196px) Image search: [Google]
rZQMUvG.gif
2MB, 245x196px
>>2315717
not a duplicate!
>>
>>2308822
eh, the cats seem content enough with their antifreeze-flavored tuna
>>
File: ygyl.gif (2MB, 397x319px) Image search: [Google]
ygyl.gif
2MB, 397x319px
>>2315736
>>
File: shit bird.gif (328KB, 700x472px) Image search: [Google]
shit bird.gif
328KB, 700x472px
>>
File: 0208172147c.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
0208172147c.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2315703
Glove, hood, etc. means "likely yes."

Glove looks new and hood looks meh. Apprentice?

For some reason I like them in their fear stage. More exciting when you have to concern yourself with not getting stabbed.

Mines at the point where I could probably dropkick her and she wouldn't care. Hands all over her face, feet, wherever. Generally just pulls a foot up.
>>
I got a parakeet 3 days bought from previous owner.
Scared him by accident and I think he is repeating that event, flying around crazy. He is very stressed out. Wheezes sometimes, he has never been out of cage and is about 9 months old.
>>
>>2316226
Glove is new since the old one is used with falcons. Needed a thicker one for a hawk. Hood was borrowed from sponsor for transport.
>>
>>2316558
Weight / gender? Intended quarry? Has it eaten yet?
>>
>>2316597
She's brand new, as I've stated. Been shoving some small bits of beef heart in her mouth, but no she's not eating out of the glove or off the perch yet. Never hunted before, so intended quarry is up in the air. Thought about squirrels since they're a problem around here just to get her started. She's at 1111g last weighed.
>>
>>2316624
Good luck. :)
>>
File: ........jpg (75KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
........jpg
75KB, 1440x1080px
>>2316624
>that fuckin' look
>>
>>2316811
Which look? This look?
>>
File: Photo on 2015-05-14 at 17.24.jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 2015-05-14 at 17.24.jpg
75KB, 640x480px
35 years old and still going strong.
>>
>>2316624
The "I'm perfect and you suck" atmosphere some people put off online really ticks me off. I'm going to try not to be a hypocrite and overcriticize. The temptation is real.

But I do want to say that finding places to hunt has been my #1 problem. Not knowing what to hunt / never hunted before suggests you might run into the same problem. It's retardedly frustrating. If you don't have at least 1 easy-game place (min. 6-10 flushes per hour, no confounding issues like a busy park or highway or being too small, etc.) life will start to suck right as you go to freefly. Or at least it did for me.
>>
>>2317089
I never said I was perfect and you suck. Or did I misunderstand that bit? If you have critiques, please, share. Again, new at this, so obviously I can't say no to real advice.

That being said, sponsor has a huge list of places he's been at for over 30 years prepared for when the bird is ready to start hunting. Plan is to tag along with him for a bit while still learning.
>>
>>2317096
Sorry, it's a more general observation of internet falconers and to some degree irl falconers (although not so much to your face). Judgmental as fuck. I'm saying I do not want to do that to you, not that you're doing it to me.

Also I am a lowly apprentice / general tweener (pending paperwork). While you do learn a damn lot in 2 years, I am still reluctant to act like I know many things. I can tell you a little bit about what NOT to do :). I have made many mistakes.
>>
>>2317148
Well I love talking about it, especially with someone who actually practices. So horror stories welcome. Sadly running out of pics that don't involve a human.
>>
>>2316816
Yup. That's the one.

That's the "I want to eat this, but I don't want to eat this because it's probably a trick" look.

Too funny.

Good looking bird, though, that's for sure.
>>
If you haven't seen it before, check out some Turkish falconry vids.

Their technique is....interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpqWckbkLYY
>>
File: IMG_20170214_132243402.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170214_132243402.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
What type of burb is this?
>>
File: 3462015621_967399746c_o.jpg (89KB, 504x353px) Image search: [Google]
3462015621_967399746c_o.jpg
89KB, 504x353px
I have a young tiel, about 12 weeks. He is not very good at flying yet, but he keeps trying, and he keeps crashing into walls. It's made some decent thump noises but he seems to be fine afterwards, if a little confused about what just happened. Except the most recent time, when he bent a tail feather a bit somehow. I don't like the idea of stopping a bird from flying but I'm worried he's going to really hurt himself, should I look into having his wings clipped? Or is this just a normal part of the learning process?
>>
File: Fausto.jpg (138KB, 900x505px) Image search: [Google]
Fausto.jpg
138KB, 900x505px
https://youtu.be/5QKoguGatic
this was a couple years ago, before I got him a buddy.
>>2309501
>but we also want him to be attached to people (namely, my girlfriend) and not another bird
>mirror inside cage
you've fucked up, he already has another bird buddy in there

is he hand trained?
>>
Is it normal for parakeets to flap their wings fast while perching?
>>
>>2317831
yeah
do you ever let them out of the cage?
>>
>>2317653
It's normal.

They do the same shit in the wild. He'll be fine.
>>
File: IMG_0137.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0137.png
1MB, 640x1136px
Hello /an/ first time here from /k/
I have a bird question for you. So I have 350 or so chicken and I've had birds of pray kill them before. But now for two nights and a day now I have a owel that has taken up living with my chickens. Now my question what should I be concerned with lice, worms, and or what ever with my chicken? Also I don't think it's hert, but all I know of bird is from razing chicken. Here is the little guy. Thanks
>>
>>2318070
Huh. Weird.

As far as I know there shouldn't be many diseases or parasites that an owl would have that should affect chickens. They're not closely related, so it would be like if you caught a disease from your dog.

If he seems comfortable in there you should have a lot fewer rats around, and that's always a good thing.
>>
>>2318070

Bird mites, but you should be treating your chickens for them already.
>>
Some idiot posted a viral video of a bird getting horribly abused on facebook and now I finally understand why 4chan and other internet groups launched doxxing crusades on those people who tourtured cats
>>
File: IMG_0138.png (1MB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0138.png
1MB, 640x1136px
>>2318150
>>2318156
Thank you.
He has stayed in the area of the barn where we feed slop from an art school. I figured he was catching the rat we get.
>>
File: ANGERY.png (229KB, 338x359px) Image search: [Google]
ANGERY.png
229KB, 338x359px
>>2318350
What kind of bird?
>>
File: IMG_0686.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0686.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2317535
Amazon, I'd guess red-lored?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-lored_amazon

>>2317653
They'll break feathers running into stuff learning how to fly. My own cockatiel has vastly improved once he learned how to fly slower to maneuver better.
Funny story too, my tiel had his wings lightly clipped when I first got him, and during the molting process he broke his first new feather on 1 side and had his 2 largest flight feathers on the other wing intact.
He was real good at flying in circles for a while
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Does anyone have experience using the antibiotic tetratex? I'm using like a quarter of a tea spoon in my budgies water cup but my mom says I'm doing it wrong even though I'm doing as the directions say. Any advice on how to prepare it?
>>
>>2318427
A parrot that had a simmilar size and shape to a love bird
>>
>>2318359
If you have chicks an owl would almost certainly eat them if it could get them.
>>
>>2318350
Oh please, it's 4chan that's committing massive amounts of animal abuse now for the edge. Long gone are the days of anyone on this site having anything resembling a shred of decency. This is the filthy pit of perdition now.
>>
My scaredy birb who hates people just voluntarily flew over and sat on my head for a bit. First time he's touched me after over a year of owning him. Feels real good man
>>
http://gbbc.birdcount.org/get-started/
Anyone else doing this?
>>
File: CMnuCXzWgAArfms.jpg (50KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
CMnuCXzWgAArfms.jpg
50KB, 600x400px
Which robin is best robin?
>>
File: DSCN6840.jpg (3MB, 3889x2468px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN6840.jpg
3MB, 3889x2468px
Rufous-backed Robin you dumb nigger
>>
>>2306936
gcc -o birb birb.c
>>
>>2313239
WE
>>
>>2300737
i want to make friends with a jackdaw or a magpie, in my country jackdaws seem to tolerate humans more than magpies. but i do like magpies much more.

is there a way to make friends with a magpie?
>>
>>2319270
Lovebird?

He doesn't have a bird friend?
>>
>>2319825
Oh no, a cockatiel. I just grabbed a random cute pic. I did actually get him a bird friend recently, though they're not too sure about each other yet.
>>
File: 1465462320059s.jpg (1MB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1465462320059s.jpg
1MB, 1080x1440px
>>2301925
Rare mushroom birb
>>
Hey Birdanons, what's a good beginner bird? I mean something small that will do fine with 1 other bird, and won't try and make me deaf.
>>
>>2320092
Silly fungus birb.
>>
File: fresh_birdos_batch.jpg (74KB, 1010x505px) Image search: [Google]
fresh_birdos_batch.jpg
74KB, 1010x505px
>>2320126
zebra finches?
>>
File: Birdo.jpg (63KB, 700x976px) Image search: [Google]
Birdo.jpg
63KB, 700x976px
>>2300737
My friend has a small white bird, and its kind of anxious all the time. He's had it for about half a year, but it is still nervous as fuck. I don't know anything about the previous owner, but the bird just sits on its perch and never really moves much. It doesn't even try to get food/water while anyone is in close proximity to it. Is it always going to have anxiety issues or what? I've seen some pretty friendly birdos, but I've afraid this one is going to die of shock or some shit. Pic semi related - it's the closest I could find to what the bird looks like.
>>
File: IMG_9186.jpg (47KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9186.jpg
47KB, 577x1024px
meet mr bird. hes a good mr bird. I love him too.
>>
File: IMG958317.jpg (104KB, 577x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG958317.jpg
104KB, 577x1024px
>>2320327
we in the park near our house, he likes to sit in trees
>>
>>2320332
he also battles the cat. pretty good warrior IMO
>>
>>2320323
>. Is it always going to have anxiety issues or what?

Usually not.

That's a budgie/parakeet.

They're parrots, and all parrots are social as shit, which means that if it's a lone bird, eventually, it will relate to humans as part of its flock.

However, lone birds tend to view humans as potential mates, which is cruel as fuck for the birds.

Regardless, it should become adjusted to humans in time.
>>
>>2320333
qt bird
>>
>>2320302
How smart are they?
>>
>>2320567
they're not parrot-smart but they have their personalities and they can be tamed easily if you get them as chicks
>>
File: tail spots.png (2MB, 1858x1224px) Image search: [Google]
tail spots.png
2MB, 1858x1224px
Would anyone happen to know what these darker markings are? She usually only has them on some of her tail feathers. Is it perhaps because of feather bronzing or what mutation she is? She's 3 years old and I think she's probably a lutino pearl or a lutino cinnamon pearl.
>>
/an/ help, I want to marry my bird
>>
how do I get my dog to get along with my bird? you know, like those cute youtube videos.

every time she hears wings flap she perks up and lunges at the bird. (not if he's in the cage)
>>
>>2317089
Where have you found success?
I'm looking into the sport and I'm wondering myself.

Conservation areas and hunting areas ? Parks, Beaches and Golf courses ?

Agricultural sites ? Golf courses ? Farms ?

Industrial sites ? Airports, Landfill sites, I work at a harbor and I wonder if they'd let me fly my bird there.

Have you had any luck contacting land owners and asking for permission ? I'm thinking about maybe a smaller bird like a Kestrel so I can hunt closer to suburban areas.
>>
>>2320989

Set him up for failure in a way that he can lunge at the bird without being able to harm the bird.

Scold him when he lunges. Praise him when he doesn't. Repeat until he understands what is expected of him, and periodically reward him for his good behavior.
>>
>>2321047
>I'm thinking about maybe a smaller bird like a Kestrel so I can hunt closer to suburban areas.

Not that anon, but most any commercial facility that has a congregation of invasive birds, like starlings or sparrows, or pigeons will be more than happy to have a falconer come buy and hunt, as all those birds damage property or shit all over the place.
>>
>>2321058
>2321058
That's what I was thinking. Free pest management.

I'd like to see that hawk/goose effect.
>>
>>2321047
Well it's still an unsolved problem to a degree, but it has taken a back seat to 2 larger issues.

I live in the geographic center of one of the US's largest metropolitan areas.

I hunt squirrels. Parks are ok, but unless it's nice and chilly they tend to have lots of pesky people ready to watch Bambi the Tree Rat get a very tight handshake. Also college campuses, but that has the same problem if not hunted on a weekend.

I would like to ask golf courses, but I have zero idea how to approach that, and I don't think any other falconers I know know either.

I've got places a couple hours out, but good luck doing that during the week.

Tbqh famalam I might ought to get like an aplomado and carhawk grackles.

I ain't doing real microhawking with a kestrel. Weight control of that scares the shit out of me.

Easiest way to get landowner contact info is to already know people. Second easiest is online GIS websites, which take a little toying with to figure out. Turns out Cheasapeake owns half of the land in the area, and the other half is owned by some investment firm in downtown that probably wouldn't even answer the door if I knocked. The GIS was more useful for landfinding at the field meet spot. Even then, it's still kinda spotty. Best best way to net people you don't already know is to knock on doors with your bird in the car / show them the bird somehow. This is, suffice it to say, difficult for a preapprentice.

If you're lucky and know people you're probably already set. If not... good fucking luck mang.
>>
>>2314133
>>2314124
So cute, cakes are glorious.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 117

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.