[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it ethical to euthanize an animal? Exactly how do you know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 7XvipFBprf0.jpg (56KB, 604x392px) Image search: [Google]
7XvipFBprf0.jpg
56KB, 604x392px
Is it ethical to euthanize an animal? Exactly how do you know he doesn't have a strong will to live despite his apparent discomfort?
>>
>>2298226
ethics are a social construct.

so it depends which culture you ask.

in this culture it's ethical.

in every other culture in the world it's also ethical. Because people eat animals.
>>
Even when terminally ill with internal illnesses or just fresh from suffering a fatal injury, animals generally have a "just gotta keep keepin' on" mindset. If it were up to the animal, it would rather suffer and die later than not suffer and tip over in the present.
>>
>>2298303
Animals usually don't live as long in the wild and rarely reach the age they do while living with humans. Mice can live up to 3 years but barely make it to even 1 in the wild.
It's also incredibly stupid to apply human concepts and emotions to Animals. Your dog wants to die, just like you do. But unlike you, if it could, it would kill itself. Because it's not a bitch like you.
>>
>>2298307
It would kill itself then because it is not hard to prevent yourself from eating or drinking, there are other methods too of course. Animals in the wild do commit suicide. Penguins for instance. Though it is hard to determine if its wanting to die or if its unaware its marching to death.

it does depend on the brain of the animal of course, mammals and birds tend to have more complicated emotions.
>>
>>2298226
>Exactly how do you know he doesn't have a strong will to live despite his apparent discomfort?
The vast majority of animals have not been proven to be self-conscious, and they probably aren't capable of abstract thoughts like this. While it's true that instincts often propel animals to try and survive for as long as they can, humans know that it's futile and they'll just die soon while suffering even more.
There's no right answer really, but yeah, i'd say it's ethical.
>>
An animal is incapable of making an informed decision regarding things like quality/quantity of life. All it knows is quantity, the need to drag itself onward regardless of circumstance. By fate alone we can make judgements on quality and make the hard decision that death is better than protracted suffering. I would say that we place too much concern on quantity of life rather than quality, and that it is our ethical imperative to ensure that those around us do not suffer needlessly. If nothing can be done to alleviate their severe, terminal suffering, death must be considered.
>>
>>2298307
no, applying human emotions to your animals would be euthanizing it because you feel bad for it. there is no way an animal would choose death unless it's a dolphin or something
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.