[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does my yellow bellied slider look healthy? I plan on moving

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: CAM00885.jpg (925KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00885.jpg
925KB, 2560x1920px
Does my yellow bellied slider look healthy?
I plan on moving her to a kiddie pool so mind the size. She has stopped eating much so I don't know whether or not she's fine. Also, we supplement her with little calcium turtles from Walmart.
>>
>>2298036
Op here again, just wanted to add she's very lethargic and doesn't eat meat anymore, but she won't eat vegetables.
>>
>>2298036
photo quality is too bad

is the water actually this shallow?
what is the diet?
how old is it?
temperatures water/land?
does it have an UV lamp?
>>
>>2298045
Sorry about the quality.
The water's shallow, but like I said, I plan on moving her to a much bigger area within this week.
Her diet is mostly shrimp or other raw fish, sometimes chicken breast.
She's about 4-5 years old
Her land temperature is about 74 degrees or lower
Her water temperature is 70-74 constant
The light I bought says its a UV lamp, so yes.
>>
>>2298036
Most kiddy pools aren't big enough for an adult YBS. Females max out at about 11", so the bare minimum is 110 gallons. Most kiddy pools are maybe 20-50 gallons. They're also unsafe and your turtle could easily be eaten by predators or escape. It's going to be horrendous to clean unless you somehow rig it with a pond filter. If you insist on putting it in a shitty little kiddy pool, try to get a large one, bury it in the ground, and put a wire fence around and above it. Then, it'll at least be safe and it'll have a nice place to get out of the water on actual ground. Also, bury about a foot of chicken wire under the fence so it can't dig out and other things can't dig in.
>>
>>2298061
The kiddie pool holds about 50 gallons, so it should last half a year.
If you thought I actually had my own private land, did you think I'd buy it a small shitty pool in the first place?
If I had land to let it live on, I would have made a massive pond for it already.
The kiddie pool is indoors, so not really worrying about predators or it escaping.
I plan on using a sump filter that uses a pump to move the bottom layer of water into it. Using conventional filters is beyond laughable at this point.
>>
File: Untitled.png (828KB, 633x892px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
828KB, 633x892px
>>2298060
Up the temperatures, at least on land. I have my basking spot at ~91 degrees and water at 77.

Throw in some waterplants like Elodeas so it can always chomp on them if it feels like. You could also try giving it nightcrawlers or silkworms to motivate it.

I can't tell from the quality, but that's just the right leg or a stone, right? Because it's giving me the impression of a swollen cloaka. Check also if the eyes might be red and swollen.
>>
>2298069
That's the only problem at the moment, that she doesn't have enough space. I'll decorate her environment once she moves into her new area. I've noticed that her eyes have some what left her sockets exposed, but I think it's just her ears, right?
I'll give it a go, upping the tempuratures.
Her eyes are a very light reddish and the skin exposed near her hind legs are a shade of pink.
What would a swollen cloaka indicate?
That's a stone not her body.
>>
>>2298073
The red tone could be an indicator of a slight vitamin A deficiency or caused by the temperatures. Feeding plants/nightcrawlers and raising the temperatures counters both of these possibilities, so I guess it'd be best to try that for now and see if anything changes.

A swollen cloaka could have meant impaction, an infection or production of infertile eggs and being unable to lay them, but that's not an issue in this case.
>>
>>2298065
the point is you shouldn't have gotten it in the first place because you are unable to give it the proper conditions.

>>2298060
>diet is mostly shrimp or other raw fish
I hope you mean crawdads. you don't think those turtles eat shrimp right? and I certainly don't hope you think shrimp are fish. add some insects to the diet, and they should be switching to more and more plants instead of meat as they get older.
>>
>>2298065
So you intend to buy a house sometime within that half of a year, or...? You shouldn't have bought a turtle if you couldn't care for it and you were going to feed it shrimp and goldfish.
>>
maybe dont feed it turtle shaped calcium supplements, it probably saw its reflection and saw it was eating itself its probably just scared its done that so long
>>
>>2298092
>>2298138
I feed it shrimp, it eats them. It's meat and she likes it so does it really matter? I also give her salmon or chicken breast occasionally, raw.
I bought it when it was small, and I lived in Florida. I tried to find her a better home but nobody would take her and I'm genuinely attached to her. Putting an effort is better than giving up.

>>2298143
Holy shit, I'm actually tearing up a little
>>
>>2298076
Also, thanks anon.
I'll try to give her vitamin supplements, since it can't be the temperature.
Thank god she's fine though. I wanted to buy her a mate when I get a bigger area.
>>
>>2298155
All meat is not the same. Sounds like you're feeding it too much chicken. Adults are primarily herbivorous but I'd try and feed it worms and adjusting the temperature.
>>
>>2298159
I feed it chicken whenever I have it, which isn't very often. Can I feed it cooked egg whites?
>>
>>2298155
>does it really matter?
Yes, it does, you dimwit. I'm sure your dog also likes shrimp, salmon and chicken; why isn't that all it eats? Nevermind YBS aren't even carnivorous. Do some actual research, jesus.
>>
We took a box turtle from the woods once. Fed it Balonga for like a whole year with lettuce once a week. It bit my dad and he threw it in the backyard and shot it with his handgun. We cried for like an hour straight.
>>
>>2298185
yeah same
>>
>>2298177
I have you hob knocker, and it's said that YBS are carnivorous for most of their adolescence. YBS begins a herbivorous diet after 6-7 years of age. Also, maybe you've never fed a dog foods that we eat because you're under the impression of "hur dur, it kills my pet".
It's true that some foods can ruin a dog, but my relatives in a different country feed their mutt their scraps and the dog's fine.

>>2298185
That's heartwrenching anon, but you don't feed turtles 'bolonga'.
Also, your dad's a pussy if the turtle managed to bite him.
>>
>>2298207
Comparing a dog occasionally getting tablescraps to feeding a turtle an inappropriate diet for its entire life makes literally no sense. Feeding your turtle treats is just fine, too. But not feeding an omnivorous turtle exclusively shrimp, salmon and chicken.
>>
>>2298211
No, I'm saying that the dog nearly only eats man made food and raw meat.
If not shrimp, salmon, and chicken (excluding water plants), should I feed her bugs?
>>
>>2298218
>No, I'm saying that the dog nearly only eats man made food and raw meat.
so a varied diet of food, not one a handful of things that it should not be eating?
>>
Since google seems to evade you:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm
>In captivity, you can use small feeder fish as well as commercially bred insects such as meal worms, wax worms and crickets as treats. Commercial turtle food and chopped vegetables round out a nutritionally complete diet along with the treats.

http://allturtles.com/yellow-bellied-turtle/
>Keeping a Yellow Belly Turtle as a pet requires a bit of focus on their diet. Providing them with commercial food is generally enough, but a variety surely would be appreciated. Serving some meat and fish in small portions and on occasion is good for them as there are a lot of nutrients in them. Veggies and commercial food will be fine to fill the remaining gap. [...] Some of the varieties of things they feed on are amphibian larvae, snails, insect larvae, fish fry and small crustaceans along with the land and water plants. In addition to these things, crickets, meal worms, wax worms, blood worms, and daphnia are also a nice addition to their pallet.
>>
>>2298218
Just Google it, dumbass.
>>
>>2298092
>I hope you mean crawdads. you don't think those turtles eat shrimp right?
Is there a significant nutritional difference between shrimp and crayfish?
>>
>>2298325
>Is there a significant nutritional difference between shrimp and crayfish?
Shrimp are fine for turtles dunno why he's sperging about that. Maybe he thought of krill.
>>
>>2298325
>>2298437
well I assumed those turtles wouldn't be eating things that live in saltwater
>>
>>2298447
>all shrimp live in saltwater
epic
>>
File: 20170115_111109.jpg (2MB, 1846x1504px) Image search: [Google]
20170115_111109.jpg
2MB, 1846x1504px
>>2298447
As far as just the nutrients are concerned, shrimp are a good source of protein, vitamins, calcium, and krill specifically can really help red, orange and yellow colors become more vibrant

>>2298036
OP, since it might be a while before you get a bigger enclosure set up for your turtle, start helping your turt have more swimming space and fill up the tank she's in right now . Leave just a few inches unfilled, enough for her to breathe and get out of the water on her basking platform

Make vegetables at least 50% of her diet. Use things like Romaine lettuce, collared greens, cucumber and squash to round out her diet. Cut out chicken and salmon unless only fed VERY occasionally. The protein part should primarily consist of freeze dried shrimps, brine shrimp / daphnia / bloodworm blocks (frozen or freeze dried), insects like crickets and mealworms, earthworms, and maybe feeder fish very occasionally.

The latter should be an absolutely minute part of the diet if at all, most feeder fish (goldfish and minnows) contain thiaminase, which makes the turtle unable to properly utilize calcium in its body when consumed frequently and/or in large quantities. I just get a few at a time more or less just to stimulate my turtle every once in a while

And of course, as I'm sure you already know, the turtle's going to need A LOT of water (your best bet is sticking to something around 90-100+ gallons). And a sump, like you said.

Instead of a kiddie pool, maybe consider looking around at a farm supply store and look into using a livestock trough for your turtle instead. They usually run about $50- $70 for a 100gal plastic one. They're very sturdy, and have a good depth-to-length ratio for a large slider turtle.

And a personal recommendation would be to get rid of the gravel, the turtle could potentially swallow it, and it makes the tank harder to clean. Just go bare bottom, the filter will pick up a lot more and it will make siphoning out turtle shit a lot easier.
>>
>>2298462
shut up nerd, I'm not a rocket shrimpologist
>>
Exotic animal vet here.

First of all, you should feed her properly. I am too lazy to read through all the posts but you need to give varied types of cut up fish (cod, mackerel etc) along with plant feed (parsley spinach etc).

Secondly most common mistake people make is having too shallow a tank. As turtles reach their full size at about 8 years of age they should be approximately the size of a plate. They need at least a 40 cm deep tank to dive in and plenty of space to move about outside. The temperature of the water SHOULD NOT BE HIGH. THE WATER SHOULD BE COOL. The heating lamp should be adjacent to an adequate UV lamp (turtles can't feel the UV rays burn them so you need to put the UV lamp close to the heating lamp so they know when they have enough exposure).

Water filtering is also necessary to remove the faecal contamination.

Turtle seems fine from the pictures.
>>
>>2298716
Does it really take 8 years of vet school for somebody to figure out that animals should be fed more than just shrimp and chicken? I'm still baffled anyone had to actually argue with OP about whether or not feeding an animal whatever it'll eat is a good enough diet.
>>
>>2298716
you repeated what everybody already said. thanks doc
>>
>>2298719
>>2298720
oh ok sorry guys I didn't meant to bother you. I hope you have fun. I'll fuck off now
>>
>>2298716
Different anon, but I have an 11 year old female RES (almost 12) whose just a little over 8" where I've heard the average adult size ranging between 10"-12" for females. Is this a sign of stunted growth or is she just on the smaller side? Also wonder if there's a chance she'd still grow after being that old.
>>
>>2298599
>you can't infringe my right to be a retard on the internet!
>>
>>2298495
>unable to properly utilize calcium
You man vitamin B12, aka thiamine.
Guppies don't have thiaminase, but they're still super fatty.

Flooring tiles are a good way of keeping the tank easy to clean while avoiding the bare bottom look.
>>
>>2298808
I wouldn't say it is pathologically small just based on its size, but for a female of that age I would certainly expect it to be larger. Typically your turtle should have reached its maximum body size by now.
>>
>>2298808
post a picture of it and I'll tell you if you fucked it up
>>
File: fatty.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
fatty.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>2299221
Pic related is her.
I will admit, literally like every turtle owner, she was dumped on me when she was little and has been kept in fairly shit conditions until about over a year ago. She's in a 90g with x3 filtration, UVB, all the works.

I do know she might be fairly fucked up as she has a shell issue that I can not for the life of me figure out what it is. I've taken her to a vet and consulted on forums and each one says something different. Vet says it's a result of retained scutes, others say it's shell rot or burns from being too close to an exploding heat bulb one time ago.
>>
File: shell.jpg (335KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
shell.jpg
335KB, 800x600px
>>2299259
And here's her fucked up shell. The thing is it doesn't seem to behave like cases of shell rot I've read about. It's only shiny like this when wet and in the right light, it's soft and smooth but not exactly mushy. When dry, it becomes transparent, just as solid as the rest of her shell, does not scrape off like a fungus, and no odors. It's been slowly flaking off on it's but otherwise still there.

Beyond that, her behavior has not changed at all since day one I got her and has never refused to eat once, beyond getting bored of a lettuce in which I switch for a different type and she eats that up right away
>>
whats the temperature of her basking spot? I'd worry about that and water quality.
>>
>>2299263
Stop jerking off onto your turtle.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.