[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need Help with Barking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 20140221_200649(1).jpg (537KB, 1873x2172px) Image search: [Google]
20140221_200649(1).jpg
537KB, 1873x2172px
Friends, my dog is a terrible barker and I need your help. I'd like to preface this by saying I take responsibility for my dog's behavior and I'm not trying to make excuses here.

My living situation isn't the best layout and the upstairs neighbors have to walk through my yard to get to their gate (see pic in next post). When I let my dog out to go to the bathroom and hang out he'll usually run back inside when he hears the neighbors approaching. However, he's been barking hysterically at the neighbors now.

The other night:
>neighbor coming in through the shared gate >dog flips out and starts barking hysterically
>neighbor runs out the gate to the driveway
>I ran out and grab the dog
>immediately apologize to the neighbor and left it at that

Now, the neighbors rarely ever shut their gate so my dog will go in their yard if I don't close the gate before letting him out. Just now:
>let dog out to use the bathroom
>neighbor's gate was open
>go to close it
>neighbor approaching gate from their door at the same time
>dog starts barking hysterically
>snatch him, apologize to neighbor and tell them, "I think it'd be better if the gate was closed"
>ran back to my door with the dog

He's never bitten anyone but he may if he's scared enough. We've tried training but the woman we hired was charging $65/hour and after six sessions he learned to lay down without any focus on his barking so we stopped the training. He didn't bark this bad when we first moved in so idk what changed.

Should I accompany him with a leash at all times? Tie him to the tree when he wants outside time? Go through numerous sessions of basic training to get him to stop barking?

Pic is of barker dog.
>>
File: layout.png (10KB, 889x558px)
layout.png
10KB, 889x558px
Here's the layout of my apartment. The neighbors and I share the entrance gate and the laundry room. They have their own gate to their yard but they rarely ever close it.
>>
your neighbor isn't responsible for your dog

you can see if your neighbor wants to work with you and become friends with your dog, but if not you will need to keep it under control because your yard is not really your yard and it's unsecured
>>
Piss in a cup and splash it on your neighbor's gate, and the door to the laundry room and the shared gate. This will mark your territory and when the neighbor smells it he will start being conditioned to stay on his own side of the apartment.
>>
He is grown and probably rooted in his habits to a point, because he doesn't think it bothers you. You didn't establish this when he was young. So you have to reprimand him every time he makes a noise out of any context you haven't told him to, and he will probably just get really confused and neurotic over it because he's used to doing his thing, which is barking at people because they exist.

This is why I don't want kids either. Only cats.

Only cats...
>>
>>2297002
>your neighbor isn't responsible for your dog
I agree, but they should be responsible for closing their own gate.

>you can see if your neighbor wants to work with you and become friends with your dog
I wouldn't mind that. T B H, my dog barks at everyone (even family members he's seen for years), but it's more of a "HEEEEEYYYYY" than a "REEEEEEEE" so that'd hopefully stop him from charging at them.

>your yard is not really your yard and it's unsecured
Yeah, I didn't realize that'd be the case until actually living here for a while. It was a great price and I was short on time so I took the risk.

>>2297018
Perfect. That'll show 'em!

>>2297021
>he will probably just get really confused and neurotic over it because he's used to doing his thing, which is barking at people because they exist.
This is true. I was terrified of him getting sick as a pup so I didn't socialize him properly and now barking is his life. At the old house, I was able to train him to go to the backyard when someone knocked on the door but he's never encountered strangers approaching him outside so I'm sure it's scary to him.

>Only cats
No cats pls. I'd prefer a rabbit or ferret.
>>
>>2297026
>I agree, but they should be responsible for closing their own gate.

they're responsible for locking their own door, but if they don't and they get robbed, no one suffers but them

if they don't close the gate and your dog attacks someone or gets injured, that's still your problem and your fault

no matter what, it's your responsibility to secure your dog
>>
>>2297026
>I'd prefer a rabbit or ferret.
Cats are just better, less smellier ferrets. But I guess that's what's cool about how people relate to different animals individually.
>>
>>2296960
Try and see how close you can get him to the neighbor without him freaking out. Reward him as long as he's quiet; I'd also leash him so you can get him away fast.

It sounds like it's nervousness-based. Of you can show him that calm behavior around the neighbor=rewards, he should stop barking.
>>
>>2297031
if they don't close the gate and your dog attacks someone or gets injured, that's still your problem and your fault
I get that. I'd expect the same response if our houses were detached and the neighbor's left their front door open. Let me just express my annoyance on it.

>>2297037
But I guess that's what's cool about how people relate to different animals individually.
Pretty neat indeed, friendo. :^)

>>2297040
I actually just ran into the neighbor's friend while I had the dog leashed. I told him I felt bad about earlier and, if they're willing, I'd like to work on my dog's relationship with them so he'd at least know they're not a threat. He laughed and said no one was scared of him but I said it'd make me feel better if I didn't have to worry about doggo biting anyone. I'll go to talk to them tomorrow and see if I can get them to feed him some treats or something.

>Try and see how close you can get him to the neighbor without him freaking out.
We were a good distance apart while talking and he reached out to let my dog sniff him but after a few seconds he lunged. If there were treats that'd be a totally different story I'm sure.

>If you can show him that calm behavior around the neighbor=rewards, he should stop barking.
He's probably feeding off of my nervousness. I hate confrontations and get nervous around people I don't know well so he's probably trying to protect me.
>>
Is he fixed? Maybe have him greet the neighbor. Ask the neighbor to give him some treats with your supervision. Keep a bucket of treats tied by that gate. Ask the neighbor to toss him a treat ever so often. Buy neighbor a gift card or something as a thank you for his cooperation.
>>
>>2297041

Aah. Yeah, it definitely sounds like he's a little afraid of the neighbor. Try and build happy times with the neighbor around; start small, like giving him treats when the neighbor shows up, then work your way up to the dog taking treats from the neighbor.
>>
>>2296960
I'm surprised your neighbor hasn't taken steps to build a relationship with your dog to fix this already, for their own feeling of safety at least. My neighbor uses my fence to secure their dog and he would bark hysterically until a board fell out and was able to poke his head through. He finally chilled when he saw it was just me and I began taking to him.
>>
sounds like your dog has been borked into maximum borkerdrive
>>
File: Image1.jpg (134KB, 1100x488px) Image search: [Google]
Image1.jpg
134KB, 1100x488px
>>2296960

Easy enough to stop a dog from barking with a no-bark collar. To this day, anytime he hears the beep from that collar, his party is over and he relaxes because he knows what will happen if he keeps up.

The problem with your dog getting excitable is another issue. But there is a chance the no-bark collar would work by association. Your dog might now know which behavior is the problem, so he'd just retreat to safety and be done with the whole scenario (this actually seems pretty likely).

You can get one of those collars for like $20 on Amazon. I highly recommend it for dogs who are dragging other people into their problems.

Also, for a little more money, there is pic-related. They make them for all kinds of gates. But I gather from your situation that modifying the gates might need approval from someone. m
>>
>>2297031

You're thinking of it from some super-logical legal standpoint, like most of /an/ when they try to be smartasses.

The OP is correct. It is not only common courtesy, but common sense, to just close the fucking gate. It requires practically no effort on their part and saves everyone involved some hassle.
>>
File: 1422374767653.jpg (55KB, 670x496px) Image search: [Google]
1422374767653.jpg
55KB, 670x496px
>>2297084
>>2297086
He's fixed. Even if it wasn't required by the shelter I would've gotten it done. I'll try the treats as he's very food motivated and it doesn't require much effort from the neighbors.

>>2297088
They're nice but I don't think they're all that interested in doggo. When I first moved in and they met the dog they were just like, "Oh, hi." They're also very lazy. They've left clothes in the washer for days at a time, they won't check their mail for days, etc. Not sure if that has anything with getting to know the dog though.

>he would bark hysterically until a board fell out and was able to poke his head through
That's hilarious! I'd love to be in my backyard and see a dog's head peeking at me (if they weren't aggressive, of course). I like meeting my neighbor's dogs too. This time there's a little terrier that likes to escape out the front door. She's a very sweet and quiet so when I see her out I usually just walk her back to her house.

>>2297090
He's off the charts!

>>2297104
I've wanted to try no-bark collars but I'm not sure which kind to get. Are there ones that don't shock him? Like a high pitched whistle instead? I'd love that gate hinge but that'd require permission from the landlord (probably would be cool with it) but ehh. I'm saving it for future reference though!

>>2297105
Thanks m8. As I mentioned, they're quite lazy so going out and closing the gate 2-3 times a day really grinds my gears.
>>
Status update: I ran into the neighbor that got barked at last night and she agreed to do some training with the dog. It wasn't too successful at first because she kept getting up to get treats off the wall and crouching down so I think that was perhaps seen as a sign of aggression or a challenge to the dog? Once she put the bowl on the floor the dog looked more interested and responded better. She also seemed very nervous and I think doggo was reading that.

We both agreed that a system should be set up to prevent doggo from barking again. She's been better about keeping the gate closed but I guess it's the husband that leaves it open. We exchanged numbers and she's going to text me if she needs to leave and the gate is open. I told her I'm keeping the dog on a leash for now and will continue until he's more comfortable with everyone.

Anyway, I'm glad I asked for help! Had I not I probably would have just apologized for doggo's behavior and continue to live in fear of him attacking someone.
>>
>>2297628
Go fuck her to teach her husband a lesson for leaving the gate open
>>
>>2298706
He'd probably kill me or break into my house. I hear him yelling and cussing at her on a weekly basis.

He's been closing the gates after his tantrums lately so maybe she talked some sense into him.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.