[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

muscle wasting due to prednisone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2744.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2744.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
hey an, I made this thread about my senior dog who is having some medical issues >>2293010

so he has improved on the prednisone. One of his paws has healed enough to not be bandaged so it can air out and the other seems to be headed in the same direction, albeit slowly. Over all, he seems to be doing better. His skin is less inflamed too and his two front paws aren't any worse. The hotspots on his face are healing up wonderfully

That being said, the big problem now is if his body can actually tolerate the prednisone he has to be on to keep his immune system in check while his feet heal. The vet has said that if he can get through the next month of being on the pred and doesn't flare up once he starts taking a lower dose, he should be okay. She's also consulting with a canine dermatologist on his case but we haven't heard back yet.

has anyone had experience with their senior dog on prednisone long term? How did you lessen the muscle wasting side effect? The vet said there's nothing we can do about it but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experience. I would actually do anything to him or give him anything without getting her okay first of course though

pic related of my old boy
>>
>>2296321
Not long term, only like 2 weeks, but it makes them drink more and pee more. Expect accidents, and don't get mad at them. My poor girl was pissing herself while running down the stairs to get outside.

How bad is the muscle wasting? How long does he need to be on pred?
>>
correction I **WOULDN'T do anything without talking to the vet first. She's been absolutely amazing through all of this. I guess you can actually find good vets these days

>>2296325
>drinking/peeing
Yeah we saw this pretty much immediately, he's had two accidents before we got on a new schedule of taking him out more frequently and he's been fine since. I honestly feel guilty because I know he must have felt horrible about peeing on the floor. He hasn't done that in about 9 years.

>how bad is the muscle wasting
It's almost exclusively in his back legs/rump. I can see the outline of his leg bones and little bumps on the top of his butt from the hip/pelvis bones. I'm just worried it will get worse though. Right now he still seems to be trying around okay when he gets up, but he's also on tramydol so he is spending a lot of his time sleeping when he isn't peeing/eating/drinking

>how long
Vet estimated that if he keeps progressing the way he is that he would be on this same dosage for a month, then after that tapering his dosage down and seeing if his feet flair up again

I just feel so bad. I love him so much, I don't want to make him slowly suffer
>>
>>2296321
It may depend on the dosage. Taking over or equal to 1mg/kg prednisone for a long time will bring some troubles like pancreatitis or Cushing's syndrome you know, but of course all vets know it well.
You can also check ALP(ALKP) by blood test, which gets increased easily during predni treatment, if you worry about it.

> How did you lessen the muscle wasting side effect?
I also want to know it.
I hope she will get well soon.
>>
>>2296321
Don't prolong it. It's tough but it looks like it's time. I made the same mistake you are doing now.
>>
>>2296576
Please tell us what kind of mistake you experienced if you didn't mind.
I really know prednisone has both sides of effects, too.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.